loopah's Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo 3DS) review

Avatar image for loopah

DK returns to its roots

I haven't played Nintendo brand sidescroller this good since Donkey Kong Country 3 on the SNES.  The game is basically that game with a graphical facelift and the ability for two players to play together simultaneously.  The game is pretty easy at the start but towards the end of the game it gets to the point where you are at a disadvantage if you try to play with a second player at the same time.  This is one of the only gripes I have about the game.  The last 25% of the game is definitely not designed for a 2-player experience.  As usual, there are plenty of collectibles in each level that gives the game some replay value and the possibility to open up secret items/levels.  If you are a fan of sidescrolling playformers or were a fan of the original DKC's on SNES then please, please check out this game.  It's one hell of a platformer and will give most a trip down nostalgia lane.