Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 13, 2014

Donkey Kong Island is being threatened by a group of vikings called the Snowmads who kicked the Kongs off their island and covered it in snow and ice. Play Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, and for the first time ever, Cranky Kong and travel across multiple islands to reclaim your home in this 2D platformer by Retro Studios.

The Beginning

Atsou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Atsou

I will not write much on this blog, and probably forget about it after today (It is not very important to me). Maybe I should keep this blog as a way to track my progress on various video games that I start, but I don't finish them. So... here we go.

No Caption Provided

I have progressed quite a bit within the game so far. I have gone from defeating a giant Owl to fighting a giant fish in the depths. The game has a lot going for it (the music is fantastic), and it plays great! But for some reason I can not play the game for more than two hours. I do not know the exact cause of this problem, but it is affecting me greatly. Back when I was a bit younger, I would play games for several hours at a time. I can still do that, but only with specific games such as MMO's, or FPS's. I can no longer devote as much time on single player games.

Well, that was a long paragraph about my problem, but I only said a few things about the game. What makes the game great is that everything is done very well. It is done so well that I despise the penguins, owls, fishes, and I am certain there will be many more creatures in the next levels (I am currently on 5-1). The variation on the level design is pretty awesome. In one level, I am trying to outrun a giant rock, and in the other moment I am in a mine cart avoiding obstacles. It sure is surprising that the game is not praised by many people (My guess is due to the lack of many Wii U owners), but I think there are reasons why that may be the case.

Donkey Kongs latest adventure does multitudinous things right. But where it goes wrong is the controls. My initial experience with controlling Donkey Kong was difficult. It did not feel easy to control him. When I pushed the stick to the right, it took a small bit of time for him to begin moving (Probably due to the animation). I did not feel completely in control of the character, and it felt kind of sluggish to to platform with only Donkey Kong. That was quickly changed when I got my first friend. The second character with bonus perks such as a pogo that you can use to maneuver over objects that would otherwise kill you is great. The small jet pack that Diddy Kong uses to keep Donkey Kong suspended in air while moving forward is alright as well. But the most useful one (That I have found) is the Dixie Kongs perk. She has the same benefit that Diddy Kong provides, but it takes it to a whole new level. While jumping, Dixie Kong spins her hair to boost Donkey Kong a bit more higher. It basically makes your jumps higher if you hold the jump button down. The benefits that the boxed characters provide make Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze a joy to play in single player, and multiplayer is not something that I have experienced for an extended amount of time. I will try to update this with multiplayer feedback if I ever play a couple of levels of it.

Well, that was long. I think it was worth it for me to write about it. It helped me relax, and just type for a while. I hope someone finds this useful someday (I somehow doubt it), and if you are reading this, thank you for reading. Have a nice day!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.