Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 13, 2014

Donkey Kong Island is being threatened by a group of vikings called the Snowmads who kicked the Kongs off their island and covered it in snow and ice. Play Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, and for the first time ever, Cranky Kong and travel across multiple islands to reclaim your home in this 2D platformer by Retro Studios.

What's your favorite level?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I've finished Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. As such I've been thinking about my experience in between hunting down the remaining puzzle pieces, thinking about doing some Time Trials and playing through the levels in Hard mode. I think, currently, the level Sawmill Thrill from world 2 is my favorite.

It's a Minecart/Log Flume level from Autumn Heights, the National Park themed world, and it's awesome. It's got all kinds of DKC3 vibes going. It's set in a mill on a river for one (DKC3's second world had River levels and a Mill level) and for two the Log Flume part of the level evokes the 3rd level of DKC3 Tidal Trouble. Specifically the part where you're jumping into the air so that the log flume will bob under the water to dodge a wooden post. Or when you're jumping over wooden posts period. Plus there were giant trees in DKC3 that were under assault from giant saws. It all fits together! Plus that Log Flume Cart is super cool. Really wish that appeared elsewhere, it's super interesting mechanically.

Sawmill Thrill
    Sawmill Thrill

It's also a fucking beautiful stage inspiration aside. It has a thing many of Retro's stages have where the background is very distinct from the foreground. Perfect color choices. Where the foreground is bright, saturated and warm and the background is foggy, murky and cool. Even when indoors when there's distance between the back of the mill and the front of the mill the foreground will be warm and the background cool. There's a lot to love about this level visually. There's stormy conditions, the fantastic log flume section with its dams and its murky water, the way they open up the background of the mill occasionally to see the foggy outside backdrop, the look of the logs as they're cut, the look of the woods... I could probably go on. Brilliant level, super effective.

Cliffside Slide
    Cliffside Slide

There are other levels that I should probably haven't given enough consideration for best level. Frantic Fields was a fantastic tornado stage that brought back the lightning from DKC3's Lightning Lookout to great effect. Beehive Brawl is really cool for doing Beehives like DKC2 did. DK Island's Cliffside Slide was Phenomenal. Dynamite Dash was a really solid Frozen Cave level. Crumble Cavern was really good too, really nice atmosphere. There are loads more where that came from too. Sawmill Thrill feels good though as an initial pick.

So that's my favorite one. What's yours? Think about finding a video and throwing it into your post. For the people who haven't played the game but think they know a waste of Retro's time and talent when they see the name.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I'm about halfway through the 3rd world and this island specifically has had some of the best platforming levels i think i've ever seen. The island starts off super strong with Grassland Groove and it just keeps going with the one with the tornados. Just everything about the Savannah is gorgeous and energetic and just plain fun.

Loading Video...

As for Sawmill Thrill, the ending of that stage with the large blade chasing you and the tracks flying up out of nowhere for you to land on gave me the biggest sense of joy, it was like a crazy scene out of an animated movie.

I never got the chance to play DKC Returns so everything feels so fresh and new and exciting with this game, the levels are just so dynamic i love it, best part of the game.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheMasterDS

I wouldn't put this as best level but the vista before the 2nd boss fight is amazing.

No Caption Provided

Also it's a very good boss fight. Very reminiscent of Krow from DKC2. Lots of the bosses in this game remind me of classic bosses. It's really cool that way. They did a great job on just about everything in the game.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5 rmanthorp  Moderator

@themasterds: How are you playing as just Dixie? Is that something you can do in this game? I wanna play just Cranky!! :O

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7 rmanthorp  Moderator
    mk303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I love going back and collecting all of the KONG letters. In the process of doing so I unlocked the level 2K Bopopolis in world 2. OMG JEEESUSSS. It took me all day yesterday and I finally beat it today. By far the hardest level so far. But the more I played it the better I became - until finally with some luck I beat it. It took me at least 5 hours - no joke - but I loved every frustrating minute. I hope this game doesnt get overlooked at the end of the year.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mk303: Well Patrick said he's resuming playing when some sport starts showing on television early Fall. So it'll get some more time in the spotlight later... I hope during that time Patrick manages to convince Alex to actually play it for real. Vinny too if he starts showing up on Bombin.

I think that for the site top 10 it's a longshot since Jeff isn't into the franchise and Brad didn't show any interest. Maybe if Patrick gets Alex and Vinny on board? And maybe if the new guys are into it. I'll be happy with inclusion on Patrick's top 10 if it can swing that. Really I think the real fight should be for Soundtrack of the Year. DKCTF has to win hands down I am convinced. David Wise has outdone himself and that's saying something since he is a literal legend. The way he remixes melodies, reuses motifs, encorporates bits gives the soundtrack an extremely pleasing nostalgic quality while also feeling wholly new at the same time. It's the Link Between Worlds of soundtracks being both new and old at the same time. Plus it's amazing as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.