Doom 3 or Quake 4?

Avatar image for gristlemcthornbody
#1 Posted by GristleMcThornbody (209 posts) -

I'm in the mood for some id gaming. Both of these games are pretty cheap on steam right now. Any recommendations? I loved Quake 2 but I've never gotten around to either of these....

Avatar image for razkazz
#2 Posted by razkazz (182 posts) -

Definitely Doom 3. I grew to love Quake 4 by the end but, for whatever reason, for the first like 6 hours there aren't tons of enemies, your squadmates kill the atmosphere, and it's just pretty boring. It does pick up and feel more like Quake II for the last 12 plus hours, but Doom 3 is solid throughout. Whichever you choose, make sure to play on hard because in a very un-idlike move they made the normal difficulty of both way too easy.

Avatar image for unrealdoompiglet
#3 Posted by UnrealDP (1260 posts) -

@razkazz said:

Definitely Doom 3. I grew to love Quake 4 by the end but, for whatever reason, for the first like 6 hours there aren't tons of enemies, your squadmates kill the atmosphere, and it's just pretty boring. It does pick up and feel more like Quake II for the last 12 plus hours, but Doom 3 is solid throughout. Whichever you choose, make sure to play on hard because in a very un-idlike move they made the normal difficulty of both way too easy.

This! I've also recently played Quake 4 and it's also got some piss poor level design in a spot or two. Just old timey levels where you're sitting around for like 5 minutes trying to figure out the obtuse way you're supposed to advance.

Avatar image for somedelicook
#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2353 posts) -

Doom 3 and its expansion. Quake 4 was cool too and way more of a shooter, but Doom 3 is the better game. id Software also made Doom 3 while Raven made Quake 4.

Avatar image for guided_by_tigers
#5 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

Quake 4 slightly.....they're both very good games, but I just think Quake 4 has better shooting.

Avatar image for icicle7x3
#6 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1262 posts) -

Quake 4 has Peter Stormare, the choice is clear.

Avatar image for bybeach
#7 Posted by bybeach (5670 posts) -

Doom 3. Quake 4 wasn't bad though... and a hell of a docter's visit to the Strogg I remember....

Avatar image for sooty
#8 Edited by Sooty (8193 posts) -

Quake III

or the other two bad games you mentioned

Avatar image for demoskinos
#9 Posted by Demoskinos (17325 posts) -

I'm going to say Doom 3. And if you can swing it get the original NOT the BFG edition on PC. Its pretty dope. The flashlight might have been an technical limitation at the time but it also actually really made to up the horror and tension of the game and that added to the experience if you are going to play Doom 3 or the expansion don't cheat yourself out of a good time by playing the new one where they "fixed" a problem that didn't need fixed.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
#10 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2252 posts) -

If I had a copy of Quake 4, I would burn it. If I had a copy of Doom 3, I wouldn't play it. But if I had to play one of them, Doom 3 is clearly the answer.

Avatar image for csl316
#11 Posted by csl316 (13917 posts) -

I actually really enjoyed Quake 4, despite horrible loading on the 360. Good old school combat, with some varied enemies and some memorable parts in the campaign.

Doom 3 is well made, but I honestly can't finish it since it scares the hell out of me. Great tension and atmosphere if you aren't a wuss.

Avatar image for shagge
#12 Posted by ShaggE (8394 posts) -

I love both of them, but unless you really like the Strogg, go for Doom 3.

Avatar image for razkazz
#13 Posted by razkazz (182 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

@razkazz said:

Definitely Doom 3. I grew to love Quake 4 by the end but, for whatever reason, for the first like 6 hours there aren't tons of enemies, your squadmates kill the atmosphere, and it's just pretty boring. It does pick up and feel more like Quake II for the last 12 plus hours, but Doom 3 is solid throughout. Whichever you choose, make sure to play on hard because in a very un-idlike move they made the normal difficulty of both way too easy.

This! I've also recently played Quake 4 and it's also got some piss poor level design in a spot or two. Just old timey levels where you're sitting around for like 5 minutes trying to figure out the obtuse way you're supposed to advance.

So true. I was replaying a section not long ago where you're outside in some trenches and after you clear the enemies it tells you your objective but not where to go. So I'm running in circles for like 10 minutes because the only logical path is this cave entrance that I should totally be able to enter but it has an invisible wall. Eventually I jumped on some crates and it let me jump out of the trenches and run to the next area. It was just odd because, even though invisible walls are always poor design, it would've been much more understandable to have them blocking off the top of the trenches. I was surprised to see that kind of shoddy work from Raven.

Avatar image for fminus
#14 Posted by FMinus (409 posts) -

Both are great games. Quake 4 was slightly better in my eyes due to fiction and setting.

Avatar image for unrealdoompiglet
#15 Posted by UnrealDP (1260 posts) -

@razkazz said:

@UnrealDP said:

@razkazz said:

Definitely Doom 3. I grew to love Quake 4 by the end but, for whatever reason, for the first like 6 hours there aren't tons of enemies, your squadmates kill the atmosphere, and it's just pretty boring. It does pick up and feel more like Quake II for the last 12 plus hours, but Doom 3 is solid throughout. Whichever you choose, make sure to play on hard because in a very un-idlike move they made the normal difficulty of both way too easy.

This! I've also recently played Quake 4 and it's also got some piss poor level design in a spot or two. Just old timey levels where you're sitting around for like 5 minutes trying to figure out the obtuse way you're supposed to advance.

So true. I was replaying a section not long ago where you're outside in some trenches and after you clear the enemies it tells you your objective but not where to go. So I'm running in circles for like 10 minutes because the only logical path is this cave entrance that I should totally be able to enter but it has an invisible wall. Eventually I jumped on some crates and it let me jump out of the trenches and run to the next area. It was just odd because, even though invisible walls are always poor design, it would've been much more understandable to have them blocking off the top of the trenches. I was surprised to see that kind of shoddy work from Raven.

OHMYGOD TOTALLY! That part was the most goddamn infuriating thing. What that game asks you to pull off right there just felt like an exploit. I was pretty sure I had messed it up or was finding some secret, but no, that's just janky level design, folks. I remember there was a later part with these lifting walls in the Strogg (christ am I spelling that right?) facility that also messed me up, but it's been a bit.

Avatar image for coldwolven
#16 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2484 posts) -

They're both cool games but I think I have to give it Doom 3 for just being more atmospheric with PDAs containing emails and audio logs.

Avatar image for justin258
#17 Posted by Justin258 (14373 posts) -

They're both pretty good games. The choice mostly boils down to whether you prefer a more horror or action oriented focus. Doom3 is more horror, Quake 4 is more action.

Avatar image for justin258
#18 Posted by Justin258 (14373 posts) -

Also, Quake 4 was made by Raven, I believe, not id.

Avatar image for vextroid
#19 Posted by Vextroid (1538 posts) -

Definitely Doom 3 + Sikkmod.

Avatar image for mr_misery
#20 Posted by Mr_Misery (344 posts) -

Doom 3 if you need help sleeping or Quake 4 if you want to have a good time.

Avatar image for wampa1
#21 Posted by Wampa1 (831 posts) -

@Icicle7x3: He asked me to check up and make sure you are enjoying your... Cinco boy.

Playing through the BFG edition of Doom 3 (which feels both faster and more tightly packed with enemies) I'm starting to believe that I judged that game to harshly as a teen. Still it isn't really "run at 100 mph" doom.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.