Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lajiaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the game. I didn't have a difficult time with the final boss, and only found it slightly annoying how enemies draw your fire away from it. But that was clearly intentional and there's a lot of respawning resources on the map that help you take care of everything.

The Marauder didn't end up being as annoying as I anticipated, as it usually shows up when there are few or no other enemies around. So you take the others out and deal with the Marauder (still not thrilled whenever I had to fight it).

Overall great game. I didn't mind the platforming except for the couple times that I couldn't understand where the game wanted me to jump to.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly ammo stopped feeling particularly limited just a few missions in. It's all about establishing a mindset with the chainsaw. Just gotta use it on cooldown whenever you run past a fodder enemy. Don't hoard chainsaw charges for when you are low on ammo just use them as soon as they recharge.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@efesell: That is exactly right. My tendency in games is to hoard stuff, but DOOM Eternal will make you pay of you don't utilize the whole arsenal. You have to use the BFG, the chainsaw and all of the other cooldowns. Otherwise there is no way to win with the amount of enemies they throw at you.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By bybeach

I am just a few levels in, just past getting the plasma rifle. I don't know if it eventually gets easier with experience ,weapons and upgrades, but my impression is this;

I find the gameplay very addictive, but I also feel they somewhat effed this up. It's just a bit much in the beginning so far, I just spent 2 hours just trying to get past a set fight. I do hope to catch on, and I do feel I'm making the effort. But first Doom was a lot more exhilarating to whip into than this game. Frankly, this feels like a slog, so far. I do hope that changes down the road, not writing off self improvement.

Love the graphics. Love the developed feeling of the game. Not sure they really needed to change that much, though.

Not stopping, too invested to do that...

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By doctordonkey

One of my favourite, most satisfying combos I've come up with is combining flame belch, ice bomb and blood punch long with all the upgrades for those respective abilities. Flame belch drops extra armor, ice bomb drops health when dealing damage and killing along with enemies taking extra damage, and blood punch drops health.

Hit 3 or more demons with this nasty combo and you can go from nearly dead to full health, full armor.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

@bybeach: I think part of that "slog" feeling is that there is little to no ramp up and the levels are a little too long for their own good. I'm only on the third mission or so but right from the start you are already in fights with two spider guys, jetpack missile guy, the stomping guy and dozens upon dozens of imps, regular soldiers and those annoying flying guys. And this is only the second mission and there are dozens of those same intensity encounters throughout this one area. It's exciting but it can also become exhausting really quick.

I'm enjoying it well enough but as stated above I do find myself getting just tired of constantly running around. Every 10 feet or so is another herculean struggle to clear out a zone while dashing and jumping all over the place like a madman. This is fun, yes, but it grinds on you. It does on me anyway.

What doesn't help is that personally I am not loving the early level aesthetics. From all the E3 presentations and such I know the game has some of those classic Facility levels, but so far I'm going through castles with giant chains and lava lakes.. and ehhh I dunno man. Like it all looks great from a technical standpoint - those chains look killer - but artistically this isn't anything all too new or exciting. It all feels a lot more like Quake 1's medieval gothic theme than Doom. Not that space stations are anything all that crazy and new either but I do enjoy seeing futuristic facilities a lot more than castles and arbitrarily floating rock platforms.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished it today, it’s pretty dissapointing on the strory front. Without getting into spoilers, it feels almost not directly connected to the previous game. By the end I just wanted to finish the game to be dobe with it. First game is 5/5 for me, this is 3/5 at best. Shame.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By bwheeeler

Been playing on the PC with a controller and was having a bad time with it. Switched to mouse and keyboard about five missions in...such a better experience. They just ask you to do too much with a controller! It's so much easier to accurately hit weak points and use your entire arsenal with a keyboard.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By SethMode

After finishing it and immediately diving into 2016 for a replay, I can definitively say I like Eternal's game play more by an almost crazy degree. Everything about Eternal moves better, feels better, and while the systems are overwhelming at first, by the end the whole combination felt immensely satisfying.

Having said all of that, the story really leaves a lot to be desired. There are moments that are great and reminiscent of the fun of 2016 (basically just Mars) but overall it just feels like a book someone gave me that was missing the first 100 pages.

ThePartisanSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Doom Eternal for 25 hours and completed 6 missions of the game. (nightmare difficulty)

Here are the review toplines:

1. Intense and violent FPS game with a particular combat mechanics.

2. The story is simple and easy to understand.

3. There is a considerable variety of weapons, skills, combat modes and collectibles.

4. For full gameplay experience, the game should be played at Nightmare difficulty.

5. The price tag is fair to offered game content.

Gameplay Overview

Doom Eternal is FAITHFUL to its roots: guns, demons, violence, gore and an intense FPS gameplay. The game mechanics are set in a way that forces you to play in the RIP AND TEAR style. Shot, move around, swap weapons, use abilities, dash, final blows... You will do all that in every 30 seconds of combat. Playing Doom Eternal is not about standing still or finding cover to shoot at targets. The most effective way to get what you need to survive is by engaging aggressively and killing demons.

Aside from all the action, there are 10 different items to explore and collect. 6 of them are related to weapons and character upgrades and the rest are lore and cosmetic items. All these items and currency points MAY LOOK COMPLEX to some but after a dozen hours of gameplay, it becomes easier to understand.

If by any chance anyone wants to check the full review.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm officially done. Went through a slayer gate today, which I enjoyed because those are about the only well-designed encounters in the entire game. Only problem is, the key for completing the challenge never spawned.

So the only alternative would be to play the entire level again to get to that point just to do the entire thing again and hope the key drops. And the level is just too long and ain't that fun. So I think I'll uninstall the game and try something worth my time instead.

If there's a more disappointing game coming in 2020, I can't imagine it. Who knew that Doom 64 would be the best Doom released this year?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Well, I'm officially done. Went through a slayer gate today, which I enjoyed because those are about the only well-designed encounters in the entire game. Only problem is, the key for completing the challenge never spawned.

So the only alternative would be to play the entire level again to get to that point just to do the entire thing again and hope the key drops. And the level is just too long and ain't that fun. So I think I'll uninstall the game and try something worth my time instead.

If there's a more disappointing game coming in 2020, I can't imagine it. Who knew that Doom 64 would be the best Doom released this year?

Was it the first slayer gate? If so you're about 5 good minutes away from reaching the end of the level and activating the fast travel points.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I finished it yesterday. Wow, man, what a fucking ride, I loved this game!

...but it's not faultless, and it's definitely not for everybody.

So this game is intent on making you use everything in your arsenal, whether you like it or not. Battles are longer, more intense, and they expect you to be even more aggressive than you ever were in 2016. You need to chainsaw enemies as often as possible. You need to use your grenades to get out of sticky situations. You need to glory kill all the fucking time. You need to really take advantage of every tool available to have any hope of making it past the first few levels, much less beat the game. If that doesn't sound fun to you, if you beat Doom 2016 with the rocket launcher and chaingun and never cared to use any other weapons, then this might not be the game for you.

Part of this "use everything" design philosophy means that you need to recognize a situation, pull out the correct tool, and use it effectively. This is where the challenge comes in - there could be a dozen different "situations" that you need to take care of right now and in a split-second, you have to prioritize and act accordingly. This is the rush of this game's combat, the feeling you get when you prioritized and acted in an effective way makes you feel almost inhumanly fast and strong, just as you should when playing Doomguy. These situations are also specific (example: Baron of Hell = pull out chaingun and focus on him, Arachnotron = use the shotgun's grenade launcher to take care of its turret, limiting its threat so you can focus on something bigger). This game runs on an old-school, arcade-y design philosophy and that comes through in virtually all of its design decisions. I find it extremely satisfying and incredibly fun and can't wait to start playing it again. Someone else might just wish they could use that grapple-hook shotgun for the entire game without even thinking about the other guns.

I don't think they achieve these design goals completely, however. By the second half of the game, I was less focused on weaknesses and more focused on just dealing some damage. Getting all of the ammo upgrades and liberally using the chainsaw means you do wind up with enough ammo to use the rocket launcher and chaingun more than pretty much anything else - those two guns still dominated most fights in the latter half of the game, though the other guns were still necessary. More problematic are the Marauder and Archvile enemies. The Archvile has always sucked, if I'm being honest, and he kinda sucks here. Good thing there's a weapon that insta-kills him and you can use it on him and only him! The Marauder is a different story. He is only vulnerable when his eyes flash green and it's incredibly frustrating to try to take care of him when it feels like a hundred other monsters are throwing various flavors of fireball at you. Marauders don't show up all that often and rarely in numbers, so they're not that bad, but they're extremely annoying. They can even tank BFG bullets! WHY!?

Boss fights are another issue altogether. I enjoyed the Doom Hunter boss fight(s) and still enjoyed fighting them when they became regular enemies. I thought the Gladiator boss fight sucked, like really sucked, and I couldn't wait for that garbage to be over. I liked the Khan Maykr boss fight and I honestly think it should have been the final encounter of the game. It's got a great buildup, the boss fight is fun, it doesn't last too long, it encourages you to try a variety of tactics and asks a lot of you without making you feel overwhelmed. The final boss sucks. It takes way too long to fight the first time and then you have to do it again. I almost considered just quitting the game and watching the ending on Youtube. That fight is way too much, and it's preceded by a final level that is a boring slog in comparison to the previous three, which are the best levels of the game in my opinion.

I like the platforming. It's not terribly challenging, but it breaks up the combat without making me feel lost or bored in the same way that I occasionally felt during Doom 2016's calmer moments. I wish they had included more secrets that you had to get to in clever ways - there were a few platforming button puzzles and such here and there but not many of them and they disappeared at about the halfway mark. I almost never had any problems doing any of the platforming activities. This seems like an extremely divisive element of the game and easily the part that has gotten the most hate, but if they announced that a third game in this Doom reboot is going to have even more platforming then I'm all for it.

There's a greater emphasis on story here. It's not a particularly intrusive story, as no cutscene lasts more than a few minutes, but there's quite a bit more of it. I thought that Doom 2016's story was just about perfect for what it was - an excuse to go murder some demons - but this game wants to have its cake and eat it too. The writers seem to understand that this stuff is silly and ridiculous, but they also seem to really want people to take it more seriously and get invested. I can say that I wound up liking the story more than I thought I would - I thought it was garbage at first but then it came together into something that actually works well enough - but it's still "OK" at best and "wow, this is some hot space fantasy monster garbage" at worst.

Also, there's a weird emphasis on mid-level cutscenes that show you the way to go. You push a button or activate something and there's this video straight out of the mid-360 era that shows you what you just did. It's really weird to see this pop up again and I kinda wish they hadn't gone this route, but it doesn't happen often enough for it to bother me. It's a weirdly out-of-place hand-holdy design decision for a game with such punishing combat.

Overall, though, loved it. Loved the combat and the levels, I thought its art design was awesome and each level has such a great identity on its own, I enjoyed the platforming and the secrets, and I wound up liking the story more than I thought I would. Definitely something I want to replay soon and I will certainly play the sequel whenever it comes out.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: No, it is unfortunately the second one, which I went back to after not being able to find my way to it the first time through the level. And when I mean the key didn't appear, I mean the key really didn't appear - the gore nest exploded and zilch, zip, nada. The nest doesn't respawn unless you leave the level and come back, which would mean going back through all the combat encounters again, which is just something I'm not willing to do.

Honestly, I've been having such a bad time with the game that I don't think continuing would have saved it, I would almost definitely have dropped off after another level or two.

j-mack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little let down so far, but we'll see where it goes. I do really dislike the story direction the sequel has gone.

In Doom 2016 it seemed like a normal future society and Doom Guy had some mysterious backstory involving hell. In Doom Eternal the entire future seems like Asgard from Thor, like the entire world is a fully techno-magic warrior society.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j-mack: It comes back around a little towards the end, but it is never as satisfying story wise as 2016, which is such a bummer. 2016 actually made like, weirdly super into Doom lore and I even read a terrible Doom book after playing it. This one really let me down on that front.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#118  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

@justin258: This is very well put and I 100% agree with it. You HAVE to use everything in your arsenal otherwise you're going to get your ass kicked. Once I was able to get it through my thick skull to stop conserving everything it all worked. DOOM is such a unique game in today's video game landscape I can forgive some of the flaws. I thought it was weird they went so in on the storytelling and the bosses were hit or miss. Mastering this game feels incredible. I'm already running through it again on Nightmare. I loved it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: happened to me too on the same level. I did go back and get it after I got the other keys, which all spawned properly. It's not worth it. The reward is muck.

Lajiaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a video that Polygon uploaded featuring Hugo Martin on their Youtube channel, he said that "so much of the game tone-wise is basically like a Saturday morning cartoon". So the cheese is intentional.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing this game feels more like a mishmash of quake and unreal tournament than it does doom to me.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@lajiaya: he also said that multiple times in NoClip’s preview coverage and a handful of reviews mentioned it. One thing you could never say about this game is that they didn’t make exactly the game they set out to make.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j-mack said:

In Doom Eternal the entire future seems like Asgard from Thor, like the entire world is a fully techno-magic warrior society.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting this. You do know that not a ton of the game takes place on earth and you're actually going to other planets(specifically the sentinel homeworld) right? I feel like anything in the earth areas looks like regular futuristic stuff.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, the replay levels with cheat codes thing is such a great, dumb fun way to mop up masteries or pick up stuff you missed. I genuinely don't mind replaying levels just to grind something out because it is crazy fun to feel like an invincible wrecking ball. Really tickles the old nostalgia of playing Doom and Quake with cheats on.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Casepb

So I finally beat it last night and I have to say the ending was fairly underwhelming. I really didn't like the last level and the boss was whatever. A lot of the platforming sections have invisible walls near them so I kept getting caught then I would go to jump and just fall and have to redo. That really started getting on my nerves. I Think the last level is my least favorite in the game.

I replayed a few levels with infinite ammo on and cranked the difficulty to nightmare and it was the most fun I've had yet, it felt like real Doom to me. I just really never felt enjoyment having to use the chainsaw so much. I get what they were trying to do with that little gameplay loop but it just always felt half assed to me. Like someone came up with it at the last second on paper and thought it was the most brilliant thing ever... but it's really not. There are better ways to get ammo.

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love this game and played through it on Ultra Violence. Unfortunately I can see how people might not like being forced into a certain playstyle. I personally always play every game pretty aggressively and so it was really easy for me to pick up but you definitely have to play that way because this game is way harder than 2016. I honestly liked how stupid and hard they leaned into the story but I can see I'm in the minority there. The one thing I really disliked though was a certain moment in the story about the Doom Slayer, spoiler alert, do not click!

The Doom Slayer getting his more inhuman godlike abilities from a stupid machine is really lame. I liked the idea that he was just a man with an insane hatred of demons and that he was unstoppable purely because of his rage. This isn't canon but in my head, I imagined he didn't get hurt because he's so skilled at fighting that he dodges or destroys everything before they can even touch him. The fact that he was a normal guy before who really persevered in an arena who was then granted godlike powers is terrible! Because to me, that means that anybody could be a Doom Slayer. Just throw some angry strong fighter in that machine and you'll get another one. It also makes the Doom Slayer less skilled because he actually has an artificial advantage over the demons. If he was a normal dude it would be way more badass. This is also a smaller annoyance but when he started talking I thought that was dumb as hell too. He shouldn't ever talk. It sounded so lame.

That was the one thing in the story I really didn't like. But otherwise I liked the loop and how frantic and difficult it was. And I do like the sillyness of the story but I'm a fan of things that go way over the top! I'm the kind of person who likes Saints Row 4 more than 3 because of how dumb it was, so take that into consideration. Overall I liked it a lot, I just dislike some of the story choices they made.

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I decided to go with the Xbox One X version but my copy didn't arrive for about a week due to shipping issues. So far it feels really slick and the combat right off the bat feels more intense. I am only a few hours in so far but I am taking my time.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only point in the game where I found myself neither engaged nor actively having fun for a significant length of time is the final level. After a typically thrilling first encounter, everything goes downhill to culminate in what is the least enjoyable boss fight I've played in a while.

Doom’s boss fights are rigid and old-school to such a degree that I rarely enjoy. Naturally, I was baffled when the game didn’t end on the previous level, which ended on the one capital-B Boss fight that didn’t overstay its welcome.

The narrative is the other aspect I was disappointed with. The storytelling was of inconsistent quality, and tonally, Eternal wasn't as cohesive as 2016. Moreover, the moments of levity were very hit-or-miss for me. That said, some of the story threads 2016 set up toward the end, and Eternal expounds on, came together better than I expected.

In any case, the moments of frustration, for me, were few and far between; most other complaints I have with the game amount to nothing more than nitpicks. I simply cannot overstate how much fun I had playing through it this past week.

I appreciated that Eternal was intent on forcing me out of my comfort zone, whether with the new gameplay loop, level- and encounter-specific gimmicks, or the expanded range of enemies (hot take: the Marauders actually grew on me). The game feels like a true evolution of Doom 2016 rather than merely iterative. I actually can’t think of a gameplay facet that isn’t better in a meaningful way.

The combat isn’t as prescriptive as it lets on in the early goings. As your arsenal grows, and more enemies get introduced, encounters become much more dynamic, with ample room for player expressivity.

I think Eternal gives Doom a more recognizable and distinct visual identity. The locations are visually varied, and memorable as a result. And unlike the first game, each level has a bespoke musical theme and the adaptive soundtrack works flawlessly this time around.

Not only do I prefer Eternal to Doom 2016, which was superb, but I think it may be one of my favorite games this generation.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Finished it two nights ago, I'm still very much lukewarm on it. Doom 2016 i liked quite a lot. Eternal feels like it tries way too many things, and a lot of those things are not fun to me. The story is garbage and i already forgot everything, but hey its a Doom game so i guess that doesn't matter in the first place.

Unlike Doom 2016 where i found everything i could find, i have already uninstalled Eternal, That happened as soon as the credits rolled.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

Slowly making my way through it and Brad wasn’t kidding - some of these levels feel like they need to be tackled in two sittings. I guess this stems from the level design being so arcadey which leads to me not really being curious what’s going to be around the corner.

When it’s fun it’s fun - sometimes a bit much. It’s very telling that the people that do love it all mention having played it on Ultra Violence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.