Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom Eternal

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 20, 2020

The direct sequel to the 2016 installment of Doom. Hell’s armies have invaded Earth. Become the Slayer in an epic single-player campaign to conquer demons across dimensions and stop the final destruction of humanity.

so the start of the game.....(minor spoilers)

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

in doom 2016 the slayer was trapped by Samuel Hayden, but the game just starts with you on a ship with no mention of the first game except UAC stuff around.

Do they ever shop how he escaped or did I miss something?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Obvious spoilers - no they never address this directly. My guess is thats what part of the story DLC is going to be.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Theres supposed to be story dlc? I got a chance to start the game last night and I too was thrown off by this. Always imagined the doom slayer busting out of hell to just be in hell on earth.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's two planned dlc as part of the year one pass and they're calling them campaign dlc, so my guess is they'll be story related. But maybe not. Maybe they'll just be a different campaign mini story.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

One of the few complaints I have about this game is that it feels like there's a missing first act, or a missing second game that explains what the hell you're doing and why for the first few hours of the game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I was initially wondering if this games story was even related to the previous game and not just there are always demons and there's always a Doom Guy.

In Media Res is tricky to pull of in a game where the story is a primary focus, let alone here.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I remember a half dead Samuel Hayden from the trailer, I assumed that was the escape.

But seriously if the hide the start of the game behind DLC fuck them, just as bad as Asuras Wrath and the ending.

nikkicetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for this DLC to come (if there's one) or the new game storyline would not make any sense at all. Perhaps id Software set this Doom Eternal before Doom 2016 or older.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spyder335: This is from an official Bethesda page.

”Access to two campaign add-ons to release within first year of DOOM Eternal’s launch date. Featuring new perspectives and new ways to play, these standalone stories explore the cataclysmic events that led to earth’s fall against the demons.”

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@glots: The last part of that quote makes me pretty confident that either one or both of these add-ons will bridge the gap between 2016 and Eternal. Don't really know how I feel about that, but I guess that's one way to do the DLC.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SethMode

@nikkicetus: without spoiling anything, this definitely takes place after Doom 2016 and the beginning makes even less sense the further in you get. This and that Bethesda statement makes me very confident the DLC will be bridge the gaps which...yeah, a little weird and gross?

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally don't mind a bit of mystery in a game story. I mean if you're OK with having to be filled in a lot by Vega, and having to read lots of Codex journals to catch up on details, why cry foul for needing to get gaps filled by DLC?

As designed, there's more for the player to think about, more suspense, more guesswork. I don't feel a game's story necessarily has to be all laid out for you up front as if a toddler following the yellow brick road.

This only makes me look forward to the DLC even more.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@frag_maniac: cause I’m this cause the story starts in the middle of something and it’s never explained? This maybe wouldn’t be that bad if Eternal was the first game but Doom 2016 ends on a very specific cliffhanger that this game completely skips over.

It’s not hand holding - there’s just a chunk of the story completely missing from the game. It’s Doom so it doesn’t really matter THAT much, especially in Eternal, but it’s a valid complaint.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Doom's clearly evolving though, not only is new Doom a fair bit different in gameplay than the originals, the story is getting deeper. I also don't think we're starting in the middle, the amount of content in the DLC will no doubt be far proportionally shorter than Eternal's campaign.

All that's really being complained about here is how he got from seeing Hayden with the crucible at the end of 2016 to Hell on Earth. There's a ton of story details by comparison in Eternal about the Tyrants, the Khan Mayker, the Icon of Sin, the Sentinels, etc, etc. It's not like the setup for Eternal is a huge gap by comparison.

The setup could have been handled by a well fleshed out hour long prologue, kinda like MGSV TPP had, but I'd rather have it in some DLC. I'd rather wait a bit and go through some suspense, then be rewarded with more mission time. Prequels have been all the rage for some time, most notably popularized by Lucas in SW.

I'm quite sure the DLC will be worth all the waiting and suspense.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frag_maniac: It's exactly because they go into such excruciating detail about how Argent energy is made, and who the Maykrs really are and how the Sentinels came to be that it's all the more confusing why they would handle the beginning of the game so flippantly. DLC is great as additional content but when it's covering ground that should have been included in the base product then people are generally not that happy. Eternal is a fairly long game with a lot of levels where very little story progress is made. Which once again, for Doom, is fine since you really do want to be just shooting demons - but at the same time if you have this much runway, all this lore, and then make this kind of awkward intro then whats going on really? If it's a great piece of DLC then hey thats great, still doesn't change the fact that the base game suffered for it.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Frag_Maniac

@humanity said:

...still doesn't change the fact that the base game suffered for it.

Suffice it to say I disagree. You're predicating all of this on the assumption that holding us in suspense won't pay off with a shockingly good DLC and story reveal.

It's also not as if what's said about Argent, Maykrs, and Sentinels is brought crumbling down merely for a bit of details omitted on how Slayer got to HoE, I mean seriously?

I happen to have more faith in the current team, including any writers involved. It's plain to see as far as I'm concerned that Doom is only getting better.

If I had to nit pick about anything it would be the occasional crash and random unresponsive AI here and there, but the story, game world, gameplay design, and performance are spot on, and that's the bulk of the game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frag_maniac: Given the quality of the writing and story in Eternal, no I don't have all that much confidence in the DLC being shockingly good. Of course this depends on what kind of tone you enjoy. I very much preferred the goofy and tongue in cheek vibes of Doom 2016 compared to the grim-dark, self serious lore of Eternal.

All that said while tastes differ and I won't hold it against you for enjoying chocolate ice cream when I like vanilla, the argument that it is better to have story bits missing from the main game because of the chance that paid DLC down the road will flesh them out in an interesting way is something I can't really understand how anyone could support.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@frag_maniac: Given the quality of the writing and story in Eternal, no I don't have all that much confidence in the DLC being shockingly good. Of course this depends on what kind of tone you enjoy. I very much preferred the goofy and tongue in cheek vibes of Doom 2016 compared to the grim-dark, self serious lore of Eternal.

All that said while tastes differ and I won't hold it against you for enjoying chocolate ice cream when I like vanilla, the argument that it is better to have story bits missing from the main game because of the chance that paid DLC down the road will flesh them out in an interesting way is something I can't really understand how anyone could support.

Well I've never been big on ANY kind of entertainment with horror elements to be littered with humor, whether it be the ridiculous mad camp zombie movies, or games. It just seems like an oxymoron to me.

I also don't see it as Eternal missing story bits as much as there being a small gap in story elements that happened between 2016 and Eternal. It would also be fairly easy for any halfway competent writer to bridge that gap in a way that keeps a necessary element held back for the story to make more sense as a whole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.