so the start of the game.....(minor spoilers)

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

in doom 2016 the slayer was trapped by Samuel Hayden, but the game just starts with you on a ship with no mention of the first game except UAC stuff around.

Do they ever shop how he escaped or did I miss something?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Obvious spoilers - no they never address this directly. My guess is thats what part of the story DLC is going to be.

Nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Theres supposed to be story dlc? I got a chance to start the game last night and I too was thrown off by this. Always imagined the doom slayer busting out of hell to just be in hell on earth.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's two planned dlc as part of the year one pass and they're calling them campaign dlc, so my guess is they'll be story related. But maybe not. Maybe they'll just be a different campaign mini story.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

One of the few complaints I have about this game is that it feels like there's a missing first act, or a missing second game that explains what the hell you're doing and why for the first few hours of the game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I was initially wondering if this games story was even related to the previous game and not just there are always demons and there's always a Doom Guy.

In Media Res is tricky to pull of in a game where the story is a primary focus, let alone here.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I remember a half dead Samuel Hayden from the trailer, I assumed that was the escape.

But seriously if the hide the start of the game behind DLC fuck them, just as bad as Asuras Wrath and the ending.

nikkicetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for this DLC to come (if there's one) or the new game storyline would not make any sense at all. Perhaps id Software set this Doom Eternal before Doom 2016 or older.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spyder335: This is from an official Bethesda page.

”Access to two campaign add-ons to release within first year of DOOM Eternal’s launch date. Featuring new perspectives and new ways to play, these standalone stories explore the cataclysmic events that led to earth’s fall against the demons.”

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@glots: The last part of that quote makes me pretty confident that either one or both of these add-ons will bridge the gap between 2016 and Eternal. Don't really know how I feel about that, but I guess that's one way to do the DLC.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SethMode

@nikkicetus: without spoiling anything, this definitely takes place after Doom 2016 and the beginning makes even less sense the further in you get. This and that Bethesda statement makes me very confident the DLC will be bridge the gaps which...yeah, a little weird and gross?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.