Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom VFR

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 01, 2017

Taking place after the events of Doom, you take control of a scientist who was killed during the initial demon invasion of Mars.

Is anyone playing this? If you're out there, somewhere, I am curious how it is.

Avatar image for changethel1ghts
    changethel1ghts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Hey! I haven't heard anyone talking about this since its release yesterday. I have no means or intentions of playing it anytime soon, but it seems interesting! Loved Doom 2016. Well, how is Doom VFR?

Schmancy_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jeff tried it out at the end of UPF and dubbed it bad. I believe Vinny said something along the lines of it's so bad it makes me like DOOM less.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-30-watch-ian-plays-2-fing-hours-of-doom-vfr-with-an-aim-controller

Not that I've watched this and know the guy playing but I guess it's good to hear difference of opinion.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah based on that Eurogamer video, it sounds like VFR's more DOOM-ish with the aim controller and dual joystick movement, but that's assuming 1) you have that controller and 2) you can stand moving with a joystick in VR. I don't get nauseous with VR personally, but there's no way in hell I'd shell out for that Aim controller just for one game.

Weeksy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theflamingo352: I've got one (picked it up with Farpoint), so between this, that & Arizona Sunshine, it's for sure niche product, but it's good fun.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom VFR actually take place in the 2016 version. I'm playing the PSVR version using a dualshock. So far I'm loving it, I am using free roam, so I can only play about a hour at a time.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff tried it out at the end of UPF and dubbed it bad. I believe Vinny said something along the lines of it's so bad it makes me like DOOM less.

Yeah, they also only completed tutorial and judged the game super quickly based upon that alone. Seemed a bit weird, honestly. Yes, first impressions count, but man, felt like they had an opinion formed before even starting the game. Just to be clear, I don't own any VR setup and think the whole thing is a clusterfuck and almost a complete failure, as far as VR and games go, but I expected the crew to do a bit more with this specific game before labeling it this way.

Also, we need another VRodeo asap!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it yet, but I was kinda surprised at how hard on it Jeff was being. From everything I've seen, it's about as good as a VR DOOM can be without just straight up remaking the game in VR, movement and all, and making 80% of the fanbase too sick to play. (that said, give those of us without VR sickness the option, devs. If I don't want to teleport/click turn and the game isn't built around teleporting like VFR is, LET ME WALK. RE7 nailed it in that way.)

Of course, VR games by nature are hard to convey through video, so maybe there's something about it that we couldn't see that ruined the experience for Jeff.

*shrug*

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best VR games I own. Trust me I have not been able to justify the amount I have spent on PSVR

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I wonder if the people saying it's bad are really just tired of shooters in Vr.

I actually didn't realize this was gonna be on Pc. Just looked on Steam and it appears to have "mixed" reviews. If it ever comes down in price I'd like to check it out.

Related note: Devs need to start figuring out more stuff that isn't just a light gun game in Vr. I was ecstatic when I found Racket fury (a proper table tennis game) on the Oculus store. I had a complete blast with it.

wallrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played on the Vive

It's badly implemented shooting. Basicly, most VR-games make sure the bullet leaves the gun wherever it is, and it has a travel-path like a real bulllet would. In Doom VFR you got a inivisible bubble around you wich determines based on your guns position where you're "aiming", making it feel more like a light-gun game from the arcades. Aiming doesnt help, firstly becouse of the way the shooting works, and the game focuses the Graphics on your gun wich makes Everything else blurry if you try to aim down sights. All enemies that get roughly 1-2 meters within your range will be within your "bubble", so you can't shoot them. You have to either teleport/dash, or use the pushback-mechanic, wich in my opinion feels like an afterthought to solve the issue with how the shooting works in the game.

I need to play Doom 2016 again to confirm this, but Doom VFR game doesnt feel/run like the original Doom. Weapons doesnt have the same impact on enemies, they don't behave the same way getting shot in VFR as in Doom 2016.

In addition to that, they are missing some basic settings for left-hand use, customizable controlls and other adjustments that should be there as in most other VR-titles.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wallrick said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

I played on the Vive

It's badly implemented shooting. Basicly, most VR-games make sure the bullet leaves the gun wherever it is, and it has a travel-path like a real bulllet would. In Doom VFR you got a inivisible bubble around you wich determines based on your guns position where you're "aiming", making it feel more like a light-gun game from the arcades. Aiming doesnt help, firstly becouse of the way the shooting works, and the game focuses the Graphics on your gun wich makes Everything else blurry if you try to aim down sights. All enemies that get roughly 1-2 meters within your range will be within your "bubble", so you can't shoot them. You have to either teleport/dash, or use the pushback-mechanic, wich in my opinion feels like an afterthought to solve the issue with how the shooting works in the game.

I need to play Doom 2016 again to confirm this, but Doom VFR game doesnt feel/run like the original Doom. Weapons doesnt have the same impact on enemies, they don't behave the same way getting shot in VFR as in Doom 2016.

In addition to that, they are missing some basic settings for left-hand use, customizable controlls and other adjustments that should be there as in most other VR-titles.

That's why I used the dualshock instead of wands. Aiming is a breeze with camera tracking your head. I never got so many headshots in the 2016 Doom as I have this one. I did have a imp get up in my face and that was difficult, but with the free roaming option the dualshock gives. It was not that difficult to back away and shotgun that rotten imp. One big difference IMO is that Doom VFR is much easier the 2016 Doom.

wallrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman: Never gave contoller a try, if that was an option on Vive. But it seems to do the game right for PSVR users.
    Returned the game so I wont be able to try it. I do hope they polish it for eventual future purchase.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a video last night of a fellow playing Doom VFR on PSVR with the aim controller, showing the mix of free run & warping movement and it turned around my opinion on the game. Looked much more fluid and fun. (I won't link it here because I personally found the guy to be pretty grating despite it being a pretty decent look at the game)

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marcsman

I cannot get into with the Aim controller. Your left arm holds a grenade the whole time, it's very off putting. Sunshine Arizona did the Aim controller justice, Doom VFR did not.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. One of the defining things about Doom is the speed and chaos you manage while shooting. This seems slow and...that's just not doom. it's a weird shooter in the doom setting.

I love VR but I don't think I want this.

kidblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea how a VR version of Doom would feel. The concept itself is awesome and it's probably kind of like one of those self fulfilling prophecies where a game from a certain genre, born on a certain day gets its go-ahead. I mean, it was the first mega successful fps out there. As much love as I have for Doom, I will probably end up sitting this one out seeing as I lack the necessary setup to play it in its glory. We shanty Irish are less occupied with cutting edge technology and more concerned with the thing where the hand meets the mouth i.e. peeling potatoes for the man. Even that is ridiculous. OH MY GAWD I NEED $$$!!!

kidblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm instantly glad I wrote the comment above. What could be better than playing a thrice copied title with a full headset. And I didn't enjoy Duke Nukem 3D when it was an exhibit. Hope that gives you guys some insght. But I did like Doom Resurrection.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.