Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Franchise »

id Software's Doom is now known as a modern classic that spawned a new genre of video games.

Need help figuring out how to get the DOOM Collector's Edition disc working on my PC.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Something I've always dislike about PC gaming is the lack of support for some older titles and having to figure out how to get them working properly. I once had the disc working properly on this PC, but now I don't know how to get it going again after the install. I think this was prior to the Windows 10 update some years ago though. Once I install the game and click on any of the shortcuts, it just says "Doom95.exe - Ordinal Not Found" "The ordinal 1 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DPLAY.dll." I have used PCGamingWiki, but I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff and if possible, I was hoping someone here could walk me through a fix.

I really want to get it working so I can install and play Brutal Doom again. I'm also curious, if I just bought the collection on Steam would it work right after install or would I have to yet again jump through hoops? I don't want to waste money. I was really tired last night (or, this morning I should say) when installing it, so all I tried was a thing called Chocolate Doom which didn't really do what I wanted as it only allowed me to play Doom II and only with mouse support. Playing the game in compatibility mode or running in administrator doesn't work; it's not that simple a fix, unfortunately. Thanks in advance.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam should work since all gzdoom (and brutal doom) need is the WAD files. I think gzdoom may even have hooks for the doom version if memory serves

And if you really want to save 10 bucks, just open the disc in file explorer and grab the WAD files. Don't bother installing

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@gundato: I uninstalled the game and am trying to reinstall (I know that's not the issue, but I wanted a clean install), and now the disc doesn't even install; it just sits in my disc drive making a quiet 'beep beep beep' and then it sounds as if it's trying to find a disc by spinning for a second then back to the three beeps. This is frustrating.

Edit - Ugh. Finally got it to reinstall.

I installed Zandronum and brutalv21.rar.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

I messed with the dll files and now when I click the shortcut it says Error: Unable to initialize 'doomInch.dll'.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhhhh, okay? I got it to work by just clicking the WAD files? How the heck was I supposed to know that's all I had to do? I am confused. I just need to install Brutal Doom.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish the PC had better legacy support. I don't want to have to make a weird XP machine to play GTR in 2019. And then trick it into thinking my graphics card is circa 2005.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: As someone that loves PC gaming, but has never actually built a PC or delved deep into making older games work on newer hardware, it can be frustrating and a bit foreign. It makes me feel pretty dumb.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eskimo

1. Download and install gzdoom

2. Copy the doom wad files (doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc) into your gzdoom folder

3. Download brutal doom and copy the pk3 file into your gzdoom folder

4. Create a file called brutal.bat in your gzdoom folder and put the following into it "start gzdoom.exe -file brutalv21.pk3". You won't need the quotes, and you should change brutalv21.pk3 to whatever your brutal doom pk3 file is called.

5. Run the .bat file and enjoy!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm missing dll files then'd to point to missing redistributables most of the time there's a "redis" folder on the disk with the things you need, opengl, directx, etc.., don't know what you need for DOOM to run on modern hardware. maybe try windows compatible mode.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, figured out how to get Brutal Doom going by watching a YouTube video. It's fun.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

To anyone in the future with this issue: Installing Doom is unnecessary these days. You only need the files with .wad at the end. Copy those to a folder somewhere, go download GZDoom or one of many other source ports, and tell GZDoom where the .wad files are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.