Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Bizzarre afterimages/blur on Samuel Hayden

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been enjoying Doom, but I'm getting a weird graphical abnormality that I'm not sure is normal or not. Occasionally I'll see what appears to be a faint afterimage of either an enemy or an object in the environment when it moves or when I move. It's hard to tell when this happens on enemies as the action is too fast for me to notice, but it's especially obvious on Samuel Hayden. Every time he moves, his arms and legs almost seem to linger, as if it's burning an image onto my screen for a second. When he does his arm waves it's super noticeable. I'm running a GTX 1070 and I'm getting consistent 100+ FPS with the Vulkan API, so I'm real baffled by what option that's enabled that would cause this. It's not motion blur, as I have that turned completely off.

For what it's worth, I've noticed the same thing happening in Hitman. In the Paris level, the giant gilded doors will give this same effect. Before I thought this was some kind of effect the developers use to save framerates or smooth movement so you don't notice any tearing with moving models, but now that I see it in this game I'm confused and would love to fix this if it's a fixable one. Has anybody else noticed this?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By flasaltine

It sounds like your monitor. Look up ghosting. This can be particularly noticeable with stuff on dark backgrounds, which sounds like Doom.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By burncoat

I don't think it's ghosting. The scene in particular is with Hayden in his office, which is brightly lit. It's only his arms and legs that seem to be affected which makes this particularly weird.

EDIT: This is the scene in particular. It's pretty noticeable on this guy's video even at 720p. I don't know why nobody has really talked about this.

Loading Video...

Terin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like your monitor. Look up ghosting. This can be particularly noticeable with stuff on dark backgrounds, which sounds like Doom.

Nah, that's an effect I've noticed as well in Doom and Hitman. Doesn't come up often since you only seen Samuel Hayden in person a few times, but it was really noticeable. This is on an AMD card, Vulkan as well. Maybe it's something that wouldn't show up in OpenGL, but I have a feeling it's just a weird graphical glitch that those games have.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I just played through the video bit and didn't notice anything. His animation is a little slow and deliberate? Maybe that is what you're seeing.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't see what you're talking about in the video either (maybe I'm too old!). Timestamp / screenshot of what you're talking about might be helpful.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I went ahead and recorded it on my end with a better resolution and framerate. You can see what I'm talking about almost immediately on his shoulders when he answers the door. It's extremely noticeable with the carpet and his hands.

Again, this effect only seems to be on his hands and legs, his head and torso are unaffected. I think I'll try to record him at the end of the game also to see if it's easier to notice there.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does the same thing happens with OpenGL? Same thing in Hitman with dx11 vs dx12.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@burncoat: Oh I know what this is! Just a sec, I can recreate the same thing in Unreal Engine 4. I'll get back to you in a moment.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Cirdain
    Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA or TXAA) is fast at its job, not good at its job.
    Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA or TXAA) is fast at its job, not good at its job.
    Tried and Tested Multisampled Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) it isn't perfect but at least it isn't lying to you.
    Tried and Tested Multisampled Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) it isn't perfect but at least it isn't lying to you.

(forgive the printscreen compression)

TAA is bad at its job and the reason why that weird thing is happening in Doom. If it bothers you then use a different technique, it is not the best option they give you. "TAA and motion blur are applied using the velocity map and the rendering results of the previous frames." What you're seeing is one of the artifacts created as a result of using previous frames for TAA.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By GundamGuru

@cirdain: Artificially added motion blur also murders performance and can cause eyestrain (depth of field can too). Just turn it off and let your eyes do it naturally.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain: Thanks for the breakdown! I'm glad to know it's not my card or monitor that's acting up then.

Unfortunately turning off Anti-Aliasing or using any other option doesn't seem to change anything. Hayden's arms and legs are almost baked in to act like that for me. It's a minor problem affecting literally the least important part of the game so it's not a big deal but it was super weird to see it at the time that it kinda distracted from his speeches.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.