Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom Snapmap Megathread

Kalimando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kalimando

Snap-map for doom, where you can take on single player, co-op, and competitive challenges. Snap-map has a fairly easy to use logic system. Use this place to show off what you make in snap-map.

Earlier today I recreated Devil Daggers in snap map, its titled "Doom Guy Daggers"

You can search for that name or enter this code to get to it, should you like to give it a try > NDD4QXJD

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I love this plan.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

oh it's awesome that it's that easy to share

does anyone know if snapmap is available across all platforms?

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@scientificpizza: It is! Probably the coolest part about it. It even lets you host games.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SnapMap is real cool, but every time I've jumped into it it's done nothing but make me yearn for a proper editor. It's the same deal with the simplified Portal level maker, Hammer was just better more flexible and more satisfying to use.

The first thing I thought would be cool was a Devil Daggers map, so I'll give your map a go!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamterics: oh wow, that's pretty incredible! i was bummed that the pc options weren't more robust, but if it means that everything is everywhere that's pretty great

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the cross-platform thing is awesome.

I tried OP's map and it seems cool, but it's very late and I'm too tired for that kind of challenge. I look forward to properly checking it out when I'm a little more awake and actually have reflexes (to the extent I ever do.)

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeFightNight

Hey I'll throw mine in. I was really surprised how much stuff you can do with snapmap. I was expecting the ability to only throw MP maps together but they give you a lot of tools to create everything from MP to SP campaign stuff.

I made sort of a playable set piece intro to a SP mission. WIth lots of fire and explosions of course. 6YXEQ3WM

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jorbit

I spent hours in snapmap last night.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE'S NO JUMP PADS. What the hell, man? How can I have super cool demon battles if I can't fly through the air shooting rockets?

Also there's some weird issues I ran into. Turns out if you manually spawn too many enemies, it can cause spawn events to not trigger properly. I think there's a global monster cap? I think it's safest to only use spawners and not use manual monster placement. The global monster cap must be really small. I only manually spawned around six or so enemies and it completely messed up all spawners until they were dead .

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By gundogan

@lunnington:Bump up the run speed. That will get you flying and 100% is too slow anyway! Also, you can only have 12 enemies at the same time I believe. Custom demon encounters only hold 12 demons at the same time. Thats why you should use spawners as much as possible instead of hiding/showing demons since they will always cut into the 12 demon limit (as it does in my level below). AI isn't that fantatic in larger areas either. But I really like the potential of SnapMap and hopfully they will add new assets and features and fix things.

@mikefightnight: That's a really cool level. More intersting things you can do with SnapMap!

Anyway, a first somewhat basic singleplayer level: CC8EBN2H. One life, 200% movement speed, 200% monster health, 400% monster damage so no armor = instant death in a lot of cases. Some metal ripping encounters, key and secret hunting, boss at the end. Should be finishable in 10-12 minutes.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jorbit

@gundogan: The movement speed is a good idea. Thanks.

I've been trying to place some fun teleport spots as well but it's not the same as being launched across the map. Oh well, hopefully they update it.

Kalimando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If I had to speculate, I would say they did the 12 AI limit for two reasons,

The first is that all of the AI are really mobile, and having more than 12 in a single module would start to tear that apart, since as far as I know, enemies will not clip through each-other. Obviously this makes sense if its a simple hallway, but not so much if its a massive arena.

The second may be that any more than 12 will cause problems for consoles. I would guess they tried to retain most of the detail on the monsters for the console port so having 50 Barons of hell in a room would slow it down a lot.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel I've scoured head to toe for one of these but just can't turn anything up. Does anybody have a good tutorial on how to map out the logic for a simple team red vs team blue capture the flag?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@atomicoldman:There's a template CTF map with all the basic logic layed out for you.

@kalimando: 12 monsters at the same time is sort of plenty for regular gameplay. I don't think the singleplayer goes over that limit all that often. As long as you use spawners to keep the demon counter at 0.00% at all times, you should have up to 12 monsters spawned per encounter anyway. But shame you can't go bonkers with it yea.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

Is it me or is snapmap awful?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By buzz_clik

I love Doom 64. I figured that E1M1 of regular-ass Doom would be seeing its fair share of homage, and so I decided to cut my teeth on my first map by making a tribute to the opening level of the 64-bit not-as-classic.

64-Bit Nightmare: 3YUJB69S

@atwa said:

Is it me or is snapmap awful?

I initially thought it was pretty shonky (and it's still not as flexible as, say, Halo's Forge mode) but after spending a week with it making my first level I've seen ways in which you can make it work in interesting ways. When I first started, I didn't think you'd be able to make a decent Deathmatch map with it, due to its prefab nature not lending itself to the good three-ways-out-of-any-situation flow that I enjoy when making DM levels. But I'm currently working on a DM level that I (a) knocked together pretty quickly (my week making my aforementioned single player level helped), and (b) am very happy with the layout of.

But yeah, the first impression of its rudimentary construction ethos sure wasn't good; now I'm used to what it does, however, I'm actually quite excited to see what left-of-centre stuff that we can all make. Oh, and a big part of that is the "programming" path stuff - where the actual construction of levels seems more basic, the options and tools for making it all do stuff and come to life are surprisingly robust and interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.