Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

PC - Frequent crashes to desktop with no error message?

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Keep getting these and its really starting to tick me off. I've replayed the same section 10 times now. Anyone else had this and fixed it?

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try setting the Virtual Texturing Page Size to Low in the Advanced Settings. I had the same problem (i5-4690k, GTX760, 8GB of RAM) with it closing/crashing out to the desktop.

I have no idea what that setting is supposed to do, I haven't seen any noticeable changes to graphics, but it hasn't crashed for me since changing it so hopefully it'll work for you too.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By finstern

Only happened twice in ~14 hours but it's incredibly sudden as the game doesn't freeze or anything just immediate desktop! If only some programs could close so fast!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's certainly the smoothest crash to desktop I've ever seen. It only happens occasionally for me so it hasn't been a real problem. I'll try turning the page file down to low to see if that fixes it.

Kairu_de_Large

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking about buying it but I'm not sure if my CPU can handle it. I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, and it doesn't meet even the minimum requirements. Any thoughts?

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what the rest of your specs are but here is mine to compare:

i5-4690k @ 3.50Ghz

8GB RAM

Nvidia GTX760

No overclocking or such. I ran the game fine, start to finish, with a mix of medium/high settings and got a pretty constant 60fps at 1080p. With everything set to Ultra I was getting 30fps. Just got to make sure that Virtual Texturing Page Size is set to Low because fuck that setting.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've had one so far but i'm not far into the game yet. No error message in event viewer either.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justin258

I turned that virtual page size thing down to Medium and haven't had a problem since.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really wish I'd changed this setting. My game crashed to desktop right at the end just before the credit roll :(

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished installing the game, but when I try and start it through steam is just doesn't open.

Cripplor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has happened to me a lot. I'm on Lazarus Labs, and I've already had to repeat the same section 4 times. It doesn't seem to be triggered by anything happening in game, and it just dumps directly back to desktop. I have all settings on ultra, except page file size is at medium. When I had it on a higher setting, i was getting a lot of stutter.

My rig:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cripplor/saved/brwcCJ (I'm up to 24gigs of ram since building, and have upgraded to win10)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turned that virtual page size thing down to Medium and haven't had a problem since.

So it actually happened once or twice more after this. I put it all the way down to low and it only happened once more after that.

Do you guys have VSync on? I had it off the entire time, then I put it on Adaptive and haven't had a problem since - this was just before finishing the game. I've been going through the levels again to look for secrets and upgrade guns and runes, so a not-insignificant amount of time has passed since then.

I do wish I knew exactly what was causing it, though. I poked around the internet and some people were suggesting looking in event viewer, but I checked right after a crash to desktop and there wasn't anything there about Doom. That's pretty weird.

Anyway, it hasn't happened to me anywhere near often enough for it to really affect how much I freaking love this game. I really hope id software fixes it soon, if they haven't already and that's why I haven't had any crashes.

i5 3470, 8GB RAM, GTX 970, Windows 10, if that helps.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

4790k, GTX980, Vsync off, Dark Souls 3 driver (second latest, I believe), Windows 10 x64, no crashes. Just thought I'd add some anecdotes in here as well.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Game just needs a patch. I recently finished the campaign and had 4 crashes total

i74770k and gtx 980

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aye only had 4 since the post. I mean 4 is more than I would like but meh the game is great!

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm almost finished and it has done this 2-3 times. Not awful, but still not great.

Vikkiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Have had this problem about 8 times now. It's fairly infrequent, and I don't lose much progress each time thanks to good checkpointing, but still annoying. I'm playing on Ultra, but setting it down to High didn't seem to help. I'll try adjusting this page file setting everyone seems to be talking about and see if that helps.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Had it crash out only once about halfway through the campaign and have not seen it do that since then while I've gone back and replayed chapters mopping up missed secrets.

Running it using the Ultra settings preset on an i7 5930K, GTX 980ti, 64GB RAM. Even using a PS4 controller without drivers (which it automatically sees as an XBox controller)

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm happened 4 times last night. Still not really fussed but frustrating when its near the end of an encounter!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By handlas

I've gotten 2 as well within 4 or so hours of play. Same thing where it's just sudden desktop. Does suck but at least checkpoints are frequent.

Avatar image for deactivated-61876872b43d2
    deactivated-61876872b43d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

About 4hrs into the game and I actually had 2 last night. Both times coincide with a Doom Steam card appearing in my inventory.

Really weird. Been playing the game over the last week and the only 2 times it's crashed is when I get Doom cards. Hopefully once I get my third, and last card, the crashing stops? Anyone else seen this one?

VodkaParty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VodkaParty

I crash to the desktop about once a sitting. It is especially annoying when you are re-playing a mission, because your only options are to start that mission again, or continue forward in the campaign. Very annoying. 'Last checkpoint' should literally mean it, and not take you to your "farthest checkpoint"

Windows 10, i5-3570k, 8gigs, NVidia GTX 960

turbofetus2487

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it doesn't crash to desktop for me. My problem is whenever I load from a checkpoint (after dying). The loading screen comes up but no progress is made on the loading indicator. It just sits there until I hit the reset button on my PC. I can't even alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete out of the game. Pretty annoying having to reboot my machine every time I die. I turned the page file down to medium, and it helped for a while, but then it just started happening again as I was playing tonight.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I do wish I knew exactly what was causing it, though. I poked around the internet and some people were suggesting looking in event viewer, but I checked right after a crash to desktop and there wasn't anything there about Doom. That's pretty weird.

Definitely weird - I'd try to run a custom view in Event Viewer with flags for just Error, Critical, and Warning - then look under Application - see if there's anything at all that's showing crashes immediately following the "nah you're done here GTFO" Doom crash.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.