Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

[Spoilers] What did you think of the ending?

• 58 results
    Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So i've just completed the game and apart from a really cool credits sequence... thats it?

Don't get me wrong I loved the game, and true the ending is in spirit of the whole game itself. I just thought the last boss whilst fun, didn't feel like the end boss. I kept expecting a final fight.

But hopefully sequel yes?!

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeh I agree. Even just a cool end sequence or something. I wonder if it will be a sequel or expansion?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I thought that the game was paced perfectly well. The ramp up to the end and the end itself felt like one of the better video game endings to a mainstream game, in an age where games just sort of drag on and fizzle out at the end. It pretty nicely set up a main conflict and had you deal with it while teasing larger plans. The main antagonist was taken care of and there are enough strings to tie up with a second game. Hayden is the next pawn, you've got whichever demon Olivia struck her deal with to take care of, and you've got the VEGA backup on your person as well.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm a bit torn. I expected to fight Samuel from the beginning and when I finished the game I thought "wait that's it?" and felt really disappointed. On the other hand, the ending begs for a sequel which I'd be all over. More killing demons please.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If DOOM continues to follow the New Order path I would hope for a nice little expansion to wrap up the "story"

The best part of that ending is the Optimus Prime cyborg/scientist/CEO with a mile long satan sword proclaiming. "I'm not the villian" as he sends you back to hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was way more invested in the story by the end then I thought would ever happen!

I hope so much that we get single player story DLC. I want to kill cyborg Satan and return Arbiter's energy sword to him.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Imma' echo the same feelings as them already stated in here. If it allows us to get a "DOOM .. 2"? (Working Title), or some considerable story DLC, I'll be all for it. If this is how it simply ends, on the other hand, I'll find myself feeling a wee bit robbed.

Also, arguably more importantly, why did we never get to fight the demon narrator behind all those demonic history audio logs, who'd order the other ones around?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

I thought it was really well-done. You got all the major story beats wrapped up with one dangling little plot thread that will hopefully lead into a full-on sequel. Maybe a standalone Old Blood-esque expansion, but I'd rather see a full-on sequel. If it is an expansion, it really needs to pull a Doom 2 and just go completely nuts with the number of enemies and boss characters the game throws at you. I want to see a Cyberdemon and a Spider Mastermind in the same room. Or, if you want those to remain characters that only get used once, give us some new boss characters. There's plenty of room for some other legendarily powerful cyborg demons.

The final glory kill was pretty cool, but at the same time I don't really know if it fits the spirit of the glory kills since he uses the BFG and not his bare hands. What if the Doomguy had just ripped the Spider Mastermind's head right off and thrown it aside? Oh well. What we've got is more than awesome enough for me!

Is it crazy to suggest that perhaps the next Doom could be a Metroidvania sort of game? There's so much hunting for collectibles, secrets, upgrades, etc. done well here that I think they could pull off the first good 3D Metroidvania game since Arkham Asylum.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#10 riostarwind  Moderator

I've never been a fan of setting up a obvious sequel at the end of a game. Yet it does fit in with the overall vibe of this being a reboot of Doom. I'm surprised they didn't go all the way with it and send the Doom Marine to earth only to see that all that argent energy has caused armageddon. So it was okay but I kinda expected more from it after being impressed by the rest of the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imma' echo the same feelings as them already stated in here. If it allows us to get a "DOOM .. 2"? (Working Title), or some considerable story DLC, I'll be all for it. If this is how it simply ends, on the other hand, I'll find myself feeling a wee bit robbed.

Also, arguably more importantly, why did we never get to fight the demon narrator behind all those demonic history audio logs, who'd order the other ones around?

A better question is, why haven't we just straight-up seen Satan yet? He's directly referred to in the beginning of Doom 3 and that's kinda it.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Wacomole

What they did with the end of the main credits kinda made up for the blatant sequel set-up, though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By GaspoweR

This is something neat I found that happens at a certain point in the game:

When you meet Samuel Hayden in his office for the first time, there is a stone tablet that is in his office that I realized after the fact was actually the Crucible. It's a nice bit of foreshadowing and kinda made sense why he was willing to go along with the Doom Marine's penchant for wanton destruction in the first place, plus the involuntary installation of the teleportation tethering prior to meeting him in which he also uses to send you back to the Titan's Realm in hell (presumably) at the end.

No Caption Provided

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wacomole said:

What they did with the end of the main credits kinda made up for the blatant sequel set-up, though.

Yeah, it pretty much showed him fighting hordes of imps and possessed and is kind of a call back to the end of Doom 64 or it loops back around to it if we're treating the old games as canon.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rich666

fighting the Cyber Demon a few levels before and then the Spider Mastermind at the end felt very DOOM 1. And the set up for Hell on Earth is exactly the way I feel it should have ended. Cannot wait to see what they do with the amazingly fresh feeling DOOM re-imagining. And the end credits were pretty badass to boot.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16  Edited By MikeLemmer

@sunbrozak said:

I thought it was little lame. I far preferred the fight against the two hell guards but even then I think the boss fights were one of the weaker parts of the game. And then it ends with a blatant sequel bait. I think it would have definitely outstayed its welcome if it went on any longer but I would have preferred a little more finality to the ending.

You mean like Doom?

Loading Video...

Pfhorlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciated the absurd and dark comedy in the game, but I wish the ending was a little more stupid, honestly. That credit sequence was amazing though.

Purps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Purps

yeah I totally figured there would be another 1 or 2 levels and another boss after I beat the final boss. I felt let down once the credits started rolling.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i thought the ending was perfect and fit with the constant rise of that game

if it ended like everything was nice and safe or something more ambiguous it would have felt flat to me

this felt like the end of knee deep in the dead when you get warped into that place and get killed, just without seeing what happens after the warp

it was very cool and i can't think of a better way for it to have ended

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno there was something oddly satisfying about Samuel ultimately playing you for a big dumb rube because c'mon that's exactly what Doomguy is.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good ending as long as they make a sequel.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JohnTunoku

I would've preferred a closed ending and a new Quake to follow this game, but I'd definitely be more up for more DOOM. Would've liked for Olivia to be a bit tougher or the fight a bit longer but it was still a good fight.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I liked the ending, but I think it got outshined by the hell guards. That moment after you kill the first one and two more jump in was 10/10 I was like fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending wasn't bad, it should've ended at the Hellguards. It dragged on way too much.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see any way that game could've ended "nice and proper". I don't think it could end with anything other than something like a cliffhanger or a teaser. If it wasn't what it is now, it would be a glimpse of hell on earth, or Doomguy stuck in hell about to fight a million demons or some other shit like that.

I'm all for it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#26  Edited By Wemibelle

Good final boss, slightly rushed ending. I don't mind that it's a cliffhanger (because they should TOTALLY do another one of these), but it just felt like things wrapped up a bit too quickly and without much fanfare.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I thought it was really well-done. You got all the major story beats wrapped up with one dangling little plot thread that will hopefully lead into a full-on sequel. Maybe a standalone Old Blood-esque expansion, but I'd rather see a full-on sequel. If it is an expansion, it really needs to pull a Doom 2 and just go completely nuts with the number of enemies and boss characters the game throws at you. I want to see a Cyberdemon and a Spider Mastermind in the same room. Or, if you want those to remain characters that only get used once, give us some new boss characters. There's plenty of room for some other legendarily powerful cyborg demons.

The final glory kill was pretty cool, but at the same time I don't really know if it fits the spirit of the glory kills since he uses the BFG and not his bare hands. What if the Doomguy had just ripped the Spider Mastermind's head right off and thrown it aside? Oh well. What we've got is more than awesome enough for me!

Is it crazy to suggest that perhaps the next Doom could be a Metroidvania sort of game? There's so much hunting for collectibles, secrets, upgrades, etc. done well here that I think they could pull off the first good 3D Metroidvania game since Arkham Asylum.

I'm on board with 100% of this. I'd love an Old Blood-style expansion where you deal with Hayden directly, get to see what he's got planned with the Crucible, and then put a stop to that. They could mix in the Demon Overlord that Olivia pierce mentioned as well, and make the second game a full-on romp though Hell, where you finally deal with the biggest, baddest, demon-est demon Hell has ever seen. Maybe one of those fabled Titans which you see the corpse of in this game?

Whatever they have planned, and I really do hope it is something, is more than exciting enough for me. They hit every note so perfectly that I'll gladly eat up whatever comes after this.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why Hayden says at the end "I'm not the bad guy", earlier he believed doing anything to harvest Argent energy was absolutely the right thing, why would he suddenly defend himself?
    I thought it was cool that the lady turned into a mastermind, it's clear that her design was evocative of a spidery thing but i didn't twig that's what they'd done until it happened, but i was playing Brutal Doom prior to this game's release where you fight multiple mastermind's at the same time, so having that enemy type as a final boss was a bit meh, i got caught out by its cheap attacks and died twice but didn't feel i learned anything, i just tried again until i did it using the same tactics so that was iffy.
    Then it ended, not with a bang but a whimper, if you need to put Doomguy somewhere safe until the next game why not lock him back in the sarcophagus again? Have him punching and smashing things to pieces as he's being locked away, his only character the entire game is that of an extremely angry super human, even in the credits video, so why is his last act just being ported away somewhere... Almost anything would have been better than what they did but oh well.
    I have other issues with the game, but overall it was fine.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark my words, Doomguy is going to shove VEGA into the back of his helmet Cortana style. VEGA starts becoming more and more brutal and aggressive under the influence of Doomguy, basically becoming Robo-Doomguy. You find another Preator Suit kind of thing and plug VEGA into it and fight Samuel "Satan Sword" Hayden double team style at the end. But then you finish the game and it turns out it was all in Doomguys head, he is just an old man inside a nursing home. The demons were actually just a metaphor for his creeping psychosis, and his anger towards losing his personal freedom as he gets older.

Doom 2: Hell and Keller

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind boss fights were legit fucking amazing, some of the best boss battles in FPS history I think. And the ending was a huge cliffhanger for clear DLC or sequel plans. I'd really be happy with either I guess, as long as a full sequel doesn't take more than 2 or 3 years to make. Maybe now that they figured out how to make a new Doom game after 7 years of development hell it'll be much faster from now on.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark my words, Doomguy is going to shove VEGA into the back of his helmet Cortana style. VEGA starts becoming more and more brutal and aggressive under the influence of Doomguy, basically becoming Robo-Doomguy. You find another Preator Suit kind of thing and plug VEGA into it and fight Samuel "Satan Sword" Hayden double team style at the end. But then you finish the game and it turns out it was all in Doomguys head, he is just an old man inside a nursing home. The demons were actually just a metaphor for his creeping psychosis, and his anger towards losing his personal freedom as he gets older.

Doom 2: Hell and Keller

OK, so I read this

Mark my words, Doomguy is going to shove VEGA into the back of his helmet Cortana style

and I thought "well, yeah, that thought crossed my mind too, what other voice in your head is going to kick off the story in the middle of Hell in the next game?" And then the rest of it just went way off in a direction I didn't expect.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Xdeser2

I get that its totally consistent with the games style, but man, that ending was a disappointment, in fact, the entire final level kind of is.

I know people here like the game because they think it doesn't give a fuck, but it really does. Theres some serious writing, worldbuilding and storytelling chops at display during this entire game, but it fronts a nice cover of looking like it doesnt care about all those things "Just angry crazy dumb Doomguy right!?". The ending really felt like they decided to wrap the game up early (Which, in its defense, that game was mired in development hell for so long that I cant blame id if that was the case). Olivia never has a moment to explain herself, Samuel kind of just shows up and says "kthxbye see you in the sequel" and while the ending is telegraphed from a mile away it still ends up feeling super abrubt thanks to the fact that, even with a final boss, very little of import happens in the final level. It really is "Push these three switches, alright I guess the object that we dedicated one of the few narrative dialogue heavy scenes in the game to just kind of unceremoniously stops."

I loved DOOM, it was a great experience, but it's ending had me wishing there was more to it, which I guess if thats the worst complaint I have, isn't really that bad.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xdeser2 said:

Theres some serious writing, worldbuilding and storytelling chops at display during this entire game, but it fronts a nice cover of looking like it doesnt care about all those things "Just angry crazy dumb Doomguy right!?". The ending really felt like they decided to wrap the game up early (Which, in its defense, that game was mired in development hell for so long that I cant blame id if that was the case).

To be fair, the devs during their preview of the single player did say not to take the story too seriously. There's a lot of background info and context to be found that fleshes out the world a bit from the entries but for the most part the devs or story writers cared enough to establish the setting but also wanted to just have fun with it especially with how cult-y the UAC entries get as the game goes along but at the same didn't want the story to be the thing that dominates the play through.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Honestly, I kind of let just about every aspect of the story glaze over me, the way I believe it was intended to be taken in. I barely took the time to understand exactly what was going on and connect everything together. Story in Doom is completely inconsequential, however I do appreciate the stupid, creative ways they went with what they had to work with. The end was a little disappointing, more so for the lacking design of the final level. I expected more, I guess. It was kind of weird having the Spider Mastermind be the final boss, but it was a fun fight (though not as fun as the Hell Guard fight, which was IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE). Shoving the BFG down that thing's gullet at the end was bad ass.

I liked how abrupt the story wrapped up, but I wish there was a better set up for what is presumably to come. Setting up a new Hell on Earth would've been perfect. It's really just a minor blemish on what is my personal GOTY so far.

Trillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first finished It I was a little bummed that it ended the way it did, which speaks to how good the game was cause it left me wanting more. But yeah, after you defeat the boss it's just over, it's like *clap hands together* wrap it up and roll credits. Like many have said they have an awesome framework now and know this formula for the time being works - hopefully a sequel or an expansion will come out to scratch that itch.

I will say though I was having such a blast playing the game that the story (very small) I wasn't even paying attention to. I just wanted to play it for a little more is all :P I got so in the mood for these types of shooters that I went back and gave the shadow warrior reboot a try...

I'm sure the people over at ID have made some money(Hopefully) to warrant a sequel... So cross fingers they can get the green light to do it.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

The thing that kills the ending for me is that the Doomguy doesn't react to Hayden metaphorically spitting in his face. I had all this pent up frustration against Hayden while he was monologging but Doomguy did not reflect that at all. He just stared calmly at Hayden, no struggling at all, I felt that I was not able to embody the character at that point and that is what killed it for me.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I want the next game/expansion to start off right where this left off.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz: This is a good point. I think though that I was assuming you were paralyzed (hence why he could just snatch stuff from you).

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Rotnac

Wait... there's credits? After I beat the game it just quit to my desktop. No credits or crash report or whatever. I figured that was an odd intentional thing. I guess I'll have to go back and kill the final boss again and see if I get credits.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure I yelled out loud in excitment as the Spider Mastermind popped up.

Man I love that game. Shame about Olivia would have liked for her to have more of a role, but I guess she was more of a pawn than anything else.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: The way I read things was that by taking VEGA with you, that's likely how you'll learn how to get out of Hell and settle things with Hayden. So I could see things playing out like how you described in a sequel, or expansion, or "episode 2."

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Last boss fight was fantastic! Ending was not really an ending, but it fits the whole corny 'story' that doesn't matter anyway.

I'm excited for any new content, but they kind of used up all the original doom 1 and 2 monsters now, right?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck: The Arachnotron, Pain Elemental, Chaingunner and Icon of Sin (although it can be the slain Titan in the new DOOM?) are still on the list.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fistoh: You could say that the Summoner is the Arch-vile of DOOM.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: true enough.

Even though I think he's total bullshit as an enemy, I wish they had kept the visual design of the Arch-vile. Those high-res models that dude made a while back looked sick.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Thought the end boss was a bit underwhelming. I was hoping for there to be all the demons, with a mastermind amidst it all much like the ending to Doom on the PS1(?). The mastermind also wasn't that difficult even on Ultra Violence - the Cyberdemon I found to be the hardest by a significant margin.

Fantastic game all the same of course, and the arena combat before the final boss was pretty great. Rip and tear!

Loading Video...

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By LackingSaint

I really enjoyed the game but that ending really felt completely counter to what the rest of the game was clearly trying to evoke, which left things on something of a bum note. You're Doomguy! A savage, unstoppable force, beyond logic, beyond reality, a mythical being of hate and bloodlust - oh, and you're in a little electric cell now, bye. I was genuinely expecting Doomguy to just be like "Fuck your mind control, guy", burst out of his cell, tear Sam's arm off and beat him half to death with it. Maybe then Sam jets off in an escape pod, leaving you alone in the facility while yelling that his work isn't over. Now that would have felt like sequel bait appropriate to the vibe and characterization they'd established, but Doomguy just kind of getting zapped and giving up did not hit the mark at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.