Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

What am I doing wrong?

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'm gonna have to rage, because god damn, they build this game all about explosions, escapist and total anarchy... and then kill you in seconds for getting in too close.

I don't get it, I don't get what I'm doing wrong, but even on the standard middle difficulty I'm just getting wiped out over and over. I'm in the Argent Tower atm, trying to ascend vertically, but I can barely get moving before I get obliterated, either by my own rockets, a random demon wiping out my health in one attack, or a combination of the two.

There's no strategy to this, nothing other than 'keep moving and shooting', but when the hits wipe you out in 2 connections max, it's just infuriating. The 'rush' that should be this game's biggest appealing factor, keeps getting interrupted every few seconds.

How have you guys found it?

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Daveydave

Its fast paced and you need to keep moving but i've found it doable. Most of the deaths have been my fault I have found. Most encounters are setup in a sort of arena, so look around, note where the health and ammo are. Is there any jump pads to escape? Glory kill when low on health and don't be afraid to move backward and shoot.

Oh and also I like using the lock on for the rocket launcher, get the suit upgrades to minimise self damage, look out for powerups (theres plenty on that map your on) and try and figure out which weapon suits which enemy the best.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You are underestimating the amount of strategy that goes into "keep moving and shooting". Pretty much anything that damages you is completely avoidable, you can get through fights without a scratch (rarely).

Try to corral the enemies with your running, either to split them up so you can take them in smaller groups, or to clump them up for splash damage. Don't run straight at most things, try to strafe around them or moving diagonally to avoid projectiles as you get closer. If you use rockets, try to run wider circles around enemies and keep appropriate distance. If you use shotguns, try to flank or wait for vulnerable openings (hell knights jump slam).

Don't be afraid to leave a damaged enemy and run away, you can come back and finish them later when the area is clear of distraction. And try to clean out fodder enemies like imps pretty quickly, removing things you have to think about during the fight makes it easier to manage the bigger enemies. You can focus on dodging a summoner projectile while simultaneously fighting a hell knight, but if you add two imps on top of that it's an exponentially more difficult situation.

As for your actual question, I beat it earlier today on Ultra-Violence. And I had an absolute blast! Haven't had this much fun with a shooter in quite some time. Wolfenstein almost scratched the same itch but did too many other things I wasn't as invested in (good things mind).

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

You're exaggerating about how fast enemies kill you. I'm not great at this game but you can be very sloppy on the default difficulty.

Don't stop for nothing. Keep shooting at all times, and use your weapon mods. The triple-shot on the combat shotgun does wicked damage up close, the machine gun missiles are great for far away. Don't use rockets up close. Jump more, climb more, note you're invincible during glory kills.

The arenas are also deceptively huge. Don't be afraid of verticality or ducking into a hallway. Health, armour and ammo are littered everywhere and so are the power ups like quad damage and haste.

The important points are to use the right weapon for the job (ie don't use the machine gun up close), explore the battlefield as you're shooting, and use every aspect of the weapon (the left trigger is there for a reason).

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Pretty much everything already said here. Doom reminds me of strategies in actual hand to hand fighting. It's all about managing your distance and moving laterally. And using the right tools for the job. If there's an enemy that's particularly beating your ass in an encounter (I know some of those fights with multiple barons were really tearing me a new one), don't hesitate to pull out your chainsaw and instantly even the odds. There's fuel for that thing laying around everywhere, don't be afraid to use it.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You have to upgrade yourself so you're not damaged by explosive barrels and your' own splash damage.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

There's definitely way more strategy than you're giving it credit for. I beat it on the default difficulty and rarely died. As others have said, keep moving. Almost as importantly as that, keep in mind where you are in relation to everything else. Also, there's a lot of verticality in this game, use height to your advantage as often as possible.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shalashaskauk666: How have you been upgrading your suit/weapons? I think the second tier of one of the Praetor Suit buffs prevents you from taking any splash damage from your own weapons. Personally I'm loving the combat. I'm nearing the end of the campaign and am still feeling the rush after every encounter.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You must be doing something wrong if you think you can get wiped by a couple hits. If you're moving right then you would be dodging projectiles and moving away from close enemies before they melee. All while this is going on you should be shooting and swapping out weapons based on who you're attacking. Getting used to running backwards helps too.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Watch some of that dev campaign reveal from a few weeks back. Guy knows what he's doing, and they explain some other stuff. If you need tips or a tutorial, that's the place. I'd link but I'm on the phone, probably on the Bethesda Youtube channel.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm on ultra violence and have died a ton, but I never got mad at the game (well, once where I was stuck in the environment got me irked). There was always something I was doing wrong, jumping where I shouldn't have, not creating enough distance, etc.

Go back a few levels and get some mods if you need to. Upgrade the secret portion of your suit to find secrets and such.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I had some trouble in the beginning since you have to play the game so differently compared to other modern FPS games. But I quickly got the hang of it. I'm playing with keyboard and mouse which I very rarely do but for this game it just feels right. I focused on ammo early since I found the game becomes very hard when you run out of ammo for your good weapons.

Always start encounters by running around the arena! Many of them have power-ups that really help you when the waves come in and note the locations of health and ammo so you know where to go if you need them later. Also remember to use your chainsaw even on the smaller enemies if need be.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest putting it on an easier difficulty.

Also the game only gets harder so maybe stop if your not enjoying it. Thats okay too.

Generally the best thing to do is move forward and try not to get stuck. That's about it for tactics.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Make sure you're using all of your weapon inventory too. You wouldn't believe how useful the Gauss Cannon is with the scope and charged shot.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a rare shooter in that it encourages you to jump and flail around like a crazy person in order to survive. I find that when I die, it's usually because I got stuck on something and stopped moving.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Only time I've ever gotten really mad was with the Imps. There's some weird thing about trying to do a glory kill or melee up close and they "slip" around you to the side or back of you...at least that's happened to me a bunch.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glory kills are so easy and give you health so do that more. I think one shot kills give health sometimes too.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the game on default for a few chapters and found it so easy that I upped it to ultra violence. You're clearly doing something wrong and there's much more strategy to it than you're saying.

Do glory kills when you're low on health, upgrade yourself, keep moving vertically and horizontally, etc. It's not impossible to go a long time without even getting hit.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Make sure to utilize that double jump when using rockets, it helps for getting the right angle on a demon without taking unnecessary splash damage. Are you playing on PC? Because weapon switching is huge, just like it was with old DOOM. Switching back and forth between the super shotgun and rocket launcher/gauss cannon can rip through a bigger demons health in seconds. Don't be afraid to stop shooting for a few moments to gather yourself and look around for health, armor and power ups.

This game isn't like other shooter campaigns, everything is avoidable if you are strafing correctly. It isn't just about non stop movement, but about moving in the right direction vs the right enemies based on distance. Remember that you are invulnerable while doing a glory kill, use that to avoid stuff as well.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jorbit

@oursin_360: I honestly stopped glory killing after about the half-way mark because it stopped my momentum too much. Also, normal kills still drop health.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BurBan_Snake

If you're killing yourself a lot... Are you just bad at aiming? Also, Jump. Jump constantly, it helps the movement significantly in my opinion, I pretty much constantly bunnyhop and boost around arenas and have only died maybe a single time to something that wasnt me jumping off of a ledge.

Also you can take a beating on "Hurt Me Plenty", I dont think you should be having these issues.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I honestly stopped glory killing after about the half-way mark because it stopped my momentum too much. Also, normal kills still drop health.

Glory kills practically serve as a short teleport though, found em' great for momentum.

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't. Stop. For. Nothing.

From my experience so far, circle strafing seems to be the best way to deal with majority of things. Also, look up. Lots of places to catch your breathe if needed.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Pick and choose where it is you're moving and always always glory kill.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I played on ultra-violence and getting in the groove and clearing a large combat encounter without dying is extremly satisfying. Like people have said, never stop. You need to be firing on your next enemy before your rocket has hit the first one. You might say that's not a strategy, but knowing what enemies are capable of and moving around them accordingly is the way to succeed. I switch weapons every 5-10 seconds and do glory kills as soon as I can. Also, this might be early for you but get the "glory kill from far away" rune, that is basically a teleport.

Honestly, just keep going. My favorite part of the game was the arenas on the very last level, which is arguably the hardest part. If you don't enjoy it, maybe this game isn't for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.