Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

What amount of collectables are necessary?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I've had this game since launch but haven't progressed past the third or fourth level because every time I think about playing I get this rush of anxiety over the collectables. They actually benefit your character hugely so I feel like if I miss them I'm going to be under powered on not have as much fun. I also don't want to have to spend forever in levels figuring out the last few hidden spots because some of them are hidden pretty well.

Can I safely skip most of them and still be decently powered?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

You can skip a lot of them. I ended up sticking to several weapons and a lot of the suit upgrades are kind of superfluous.

That said I did enjoy looking for them.

BFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BFZ

May slightly depend on your difficulty level, but you can skip past them if you want. I wound up re-playing levels to get some of the collectibles. You can re-play levels and anything you gain carries over while not re-setting your progress.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The map made finding the stuff pretty straightforward (Most of the time) I liked finding them and the upgrades, while not needed, are much appreciated near the end of the game or a harder difficultly.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You'll gather enough naturally running around.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You don't have to hunt for them, even on nightmare.

Although the ammo rune makes everything a lot easier since it will replenish your BFG ammo and the midair adjustment of your jump rune is just fun to use.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pkmnfrk

I 100%ed Doom, and had 22 weapon tokens left over. I think that would allow you to completely skip all secrets in the whole campaign and still upgrade all your weapons if you did all the challenges.

On the other hand, there exist exactly enough suit upgrades, so you do need to seek those out.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

Most of the collectables are relatively easy to find, and there are clear/logical paths to get to them. The runes are definitely the most important thing, because they can really tailor how you play the game to your liking. I found all of the runes, and most of the other collectables in my playthrough, but I missed several of the hidden portions of original Doom levels. Those count toward the secret/collectable count, but don't really offer anything of substance to the playing experience. If you're missing those, you're not missing out on much (unless, of course, there's something I'm unaware of by also having missed several).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.