Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

What is the difference between the difficulty levels?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BradBrains

In the original doom difficulty levels were mostly based on number of monsters and the items that were available in the level. As brad (not me the more important one) has said ultra violence is how doom is meant to be played and my friend put it best as "more things to shoot" though does this remain for the new doom in your opinion?

so I guess my question is outside of the gimmick ultra nightmare mode what are the differences in difficulty levels? Is it more enemies or is it just that their attacks hurt you more unlike the original doom? or is it what new shooters do where it just means enemies do more damage?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Pretty much everything. Demons do more damage, take less damage, there are more of them, and harder versions of the different demon types spawn more often (cyber mancubus spawn more often than regular mancubi, for example). Health and armor pickups give you less, ammo count remains the same. There might be more differences, but that is all I've noticed.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BradBrains

@doctordonkey said:

Pretty much everything. Demons do more damage, take less damage, there are more of them, and harder versions of the different demon types spawn more often (cyber mancubus spawn more often than regular mancubi, for example). Health and armor pickups give you less, ammo count remains the same. There might be more differences, but that is all I've noticed.

much appreciated. I feel bad not playing on ultra violence but didnt want to do it if its just guys take more hits cause thats not fun. Doom harder difficulties mean "more things to shoot" and I think that should be the main focus on the changes.

Though not being able to save when you want hurts it I think

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: I'm...actually not sure if enemies take more damage? I made a new save for ultra violence from hurt me plenty and enemies early on seem to take the same amount of damage.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@strangestories: I think the health multiplier of the enemies is still 1 on nightmare. Imps die in one combat shotgun blast up close. Damage of the monsters seems like x3-4. Health and armor pickups is like 60% of the orginal value?

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: Yeah the main difference is more enemy damage and less health and armor from pickups. Increasing the health would turn enemies into bullet sponges which would slow down the combat, and slowing down the combat is the last thing they probably wanted to do.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangestories: that's good to hear . Doom high difficulty was always about having more guys meaning having to figure out crowds better and dealing with ammo. You're right that bullet sponge enemies for all guys wouldn't feel like doom

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.