Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Will we see a sequel to this game? What would you like to see in it?

• 64 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I haven't seen this question asked here, but I'm curious to know whether you think we'll see one. It did well enough both critically and commercially to have one, but I've heard little talk of a sequel. Now, I would certainly hope so! When I played this game around release, I wasn't impressed, and for the most part downright bored with it to be honest, where I struggled to find the motivation to get through it. Doom is yet another 'older' game that I replayed this year and finally found enjoyment out of. It started with AC3/Unity, then The Evil Within, (to slightly less of an extent as I had already enjoyed it fine, Wolfenstein: The New Order), and now this game. I came to the realization that if I have other things on my mind when I could find enthusiasm for playing games, I can't really love a game. I believe I had other games, and/or work on my mind, so I didn't find the time to really appreciate the game to its fullest.

I beat it around release (though on and off throughout a month/two months maybe), and only played for about an hour on Nightmare to see if I could gain more excitement for it, but it didn't happen. Now, I'm back on Nightmare and more than half way through and enjoy it very, very much. I'm not sure I agree with others that say it's the best shooter in the past ten years, let alone ever, but in almost every respect, the game is great I find. The one nitpick I am finding is that there are one too many points of no return, so if you get too far into a stage there's no turning back unless you happen to have checkpointed beforehand, but sometimes it's not worth it. I don't find replaying a mission a good enough alternative, but it's pretty much a non-issue anyway. Nightmare difficulty is a fine challenge, but it's nowhere near as challenging as I thought it'd be (and really, as frustrating as it could be). It's perfectly balanced.

I'd list the many things I like about it, but I just wanted to say that I really like this game a lot now and I hope to see a sequel. I have no idea how it'd be improved, but I guess I'd love to see a little more sci-fi induced into its setting I guess? Like, ships flying around and stuff. I don't know. One last thing, and a bit off-topic: I am playing the game on the One (which is the inferior version of the three from what I understand just due to visuals), does anyone hope or think the game will get an update on the X? I remember Phil Spencer using Doom as an example of a game that can benefit on the Xbox One X, and that'd be awesome. Two more things, has Brad ever played/talked about Brutal Doom? Brutal Doom is great and I think after I'm done with this, I'm going to play that. And, when I type Doom up in the search box, the game says Doom, and then under it 'Game 2015 (PS4, XONE)', which is incorrect.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

The game performed well commercially and critically, so it seems more likely than not that it'll get a sequel. There's no more obvious project for Bethesda to give to the Doom team at id.

I'd be happy to play a sequel, since I loved last year's game, but it's not easy to say exactly what they should do to make the sequel feel fresh. I would hope that they'd focus on the singleplayer rather than multiplayer, since that's clearly the game's strong point. And Bethesda has Quake Champions to roughly cover what modern Doom multiplayer would offer, anyway.

For a new campaign, Doom 2 provides one possible blueprint: bring hell to Earth and add new demons/weapons (weapon). A new setting plus new enemies/weapons/pickups is not enough these days, though, so they'll need to add some kind of major new gameplay mechanic and/or new feature. Possibilities might include full campaign co-op, randomization (of enemies, pickups, even layouts) in levels to make them more re-playable, or non-linear level progression (branching paths, hub world, open world, etc.). These kinds of big changes could turn out well or not, depending on the details of their implementation. And they all carry the risk of diverging too far from the fundamentals of Doom, but there's no way to know how much change is too much until you just do it and see how people react to it.

Personally, I'd be okay with relatively modest changes. I mainly want new levels to play, and maybe some kind of randomization to extend replay value. I finished last year's game 8 times now from start to end, including recently beating it on Ultra Nightmare. The main thing that has stopped me from continuing to play it (aside from having so many other games I need to get to) is that I've long since memorized every combat encounter, every enemy's location, every secret, and every item pickup, so each playthrough feels like a repetition of one I've already done. I still love the core gameplay--I just need new content!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd be astounded if we don't get a sequel. New Order is getting one, and even though it was a hit, it was a more modest one than Doom. They'd be crazy not to do a sequel.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigsocrates

I think we will get a new one. I'm actually not as sure as others whether this was a hit (I think I read it wasn't?) but it was a critical darling and they'd be dumb not to keep the momentum going.

As for what I want, that's easy.

Doom II: HELL ON EARTH!

New levels that are bigger and crazier and set in Earth environments instead of the Mars base. Demons exploding through NPCs and biting their damn heads off. More.

Oh and because it's Doom II (AKA Icon of Sin game) announce that John Romero is involved in designing levels. He doesn't have to be the final boss (although...holy shit. Imagine a Doom II partially set in a game developer Assassin's Creed style where John Romero is a character and is possessed by a demon and becomes the final boss...that would be metal and meta as hell) but BRING ROMERO IN. Even if it's just for marketing. Rip and Tear. In 2019 JOHN ROMERO WILL MAKE YOU HIS BITCH....AGAIN! Okay. Maybe not that.

Anyway, I want a Doom II set on Earth with some huge cool set pieces but more importantly...ACTUAL DOOM MULTIPLAYER. None of this loadout based numbers above the head two rockets to kill a dude CRAP. An actual fast paced arena shooter where you pick up the weapons and gib dudes proper. I kind of liked the transformations from the 2016 games so they can stay in for a mode I guess, but less loot and more scoot!

Give me Hell on Earth and actual DOOM multiplayer and I am happy. Give me Romero as a consultant and I'm joyful. MAKE ROMERO THE FINAL BOSS and I absolutely lose my shit with glee.

ETA: FULL MOD SUPPORT. Now that consoles support mods there's just no excuse. Full mod support in Doom II 2019.

Also the Arch-vile does not NOT need to come back. Nobody likes you Arch-vile. You're BAD and you should FEEL BAD!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By liquiddragon

I have no doubt in my mind we'll see another one but it only came out last year so I think that's why people aren't screaming for it.

I don't know much about the Doom series but I liked to see urban environments if they can maintain the light exploration.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yea I agree an Earth invasion would be really cool, they should probably also just ditch competitive multiplayer and do a horde mode or something.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love a sequel to this game. Honestly this game reinvigorated my enjoyment of video games that I hadn't had for a long time. Did the game end up selling well? I just remember the stories of people being shocked at how fast it went on 50% on sale everywhere which worries me lol.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@savage said:

The game performed well commercially and critically, so it seems more likely than not that it'll get a sequel. There's no more obvious project for Bethesda to give to the Doom team at id.

I'd be happy to play a sequel, since I loved last year's game, but it's not easy to say exactly what they should do to make the sequel feel fresh. I would hope that they'd focus on the singleplayer rather than multiplayer, since that's clearly the game's strong point. And Bethesda has Quake Champions to roughly cover what modern Doom multiplayer would offer, anyway.

For a new campaign, Doom 2 provides one possible blueprint: bring hell to Earth and add new demons/weapons (weapon). A new setting plus new enemies/weapons/pickups is not enough these days, though, so they'll need to add some kind of major new gameplay mechanic and/or new feature. Possibilities might include full campaign co-op, randomization (of enemies, pickups, even layouts) in levels to make them more re-playable, or non-linear level progression (branching paths, hub world, open world, etc.). These kinds of big changes could turn out well or not, depending on the details of their implementation. And they all carry the risk of diverging too far from the fundamentals of Doom, but there's no way to know how much change is too much until you just do it and see how people react to it.

Personally, I'd be okay with relatively modest changes. I mainly want new levels to play, and maybe some kind of randomization to extend replay value. I finished last year's game 8 times now from start to end, including recently beating it on Ultra Nightmare. The main thing that has stopped me from continuing to play it (aside from having so many other games I need to get to) is that I've long since memorized every combat encounter, every enemy's location, every secret, and every item pickup, so each playthrough feels like a repetition of one I've already done. I still love the core gameplay--I just need new content!

Good post.

For me, I think you hit on something but it should IMO be something separate but that would build off a bit of what they had with the Snapmap thing in the first game. They should have a different mode that is a randomly generated/replayable type thing and maybe that has co-op as well. That I think would be perfect to have it and also a traditional campaign, which I think is super key and something they did so well with the first game. I think it would be a shame to mess with the format of it in that way. But they can have it be a creation/co-op separate thing and have that work super well I think.

For me, just as a gut idea I want to see as many more Glory kills animations, for variety, as they can manage. I love the mechanic, and they were quick and painless compared to some bad games out there, but the game could use more variety really bad.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love a sequel to this game. Honestly this game reinvigorated my enjoyment of video games that I hadn't had for a long time. Did the game end up selling well? I just remember the stories of people being shocked at how fast it went on 50% on sale everywhere which worries me lol.

Bethesda games all seem to hit sale very quickly. It seems like a strategic choice. I don't think Doom killed it in sales but if Wolfenstein got a sequel I feel really confident. I hope so, as Doom blows Wolfenstein out of the water for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely want a sequel and what I would like to see in it is more variety in combat and get rid of the MP it's a waste of money and time.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

Id like to see no more 40gb updates so i can actually play the game. Pretty much killed any chance of me finishing that thing smh.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: What system? How long does it take to download?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

I would be surprised if we didn't see another one. Bethesda seemed quite happy with its critical and commercial reception, id software seemed quite happy with it too. I'm not going to say it's definite, we don't know for sure, but it's probable.

Some levels in Doom are just a big open map for you to explore, while others are more linear levels that lock you out of going back to look for secrets. I would like to see way more of the former and little to none of the latter.

Actually, when I finished Doom the first time, my first thought was "you know, they could turn this into a really good Metroidvania". There was already a bit of item gathering going on (double jump boots) and there's already a lot of exploration and finding ways to make your character more powerful. One big, continuous world like Dark Souls or Metroid Prime would be pretty awesome in my book. I won't hold my breath on this happening, but I would be very happy if it did.

MisterEyeballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely think we'll get a sequel. I hope they take their time with it and don't go overboard. It's easy to imagine a Doom 2 that takes the attitude too far. With how well they handled this Doom though, they've earned my trust. Excited for more.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ezekiel

Music that's actually good.

More variety.

Upgrades/menus that are less tedious.

An ending. Doom's cliffhanger was a lame cop-out. It had more than enough time to resolve itself. I'm not gonna care about the previous events or remember them in two or three years. I barely care now.

Doom is one of the better modern shooters I've played, though.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Yes, I would love a sequel to the game Doom please. I liked it very much.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, they gotta tackle Rage 2 first.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TobbRobb

The only thing I would want is to make the average combat encounter a smidge longer. I usually had just enough time to get really pumped up for the last 2-3 kills. It was more fun in the long gauntlet encounters where I could ride it for a bit.

I don't really know what I would want added to the game. I just hope they realize what parts worked and what worked less and make something that plays off of that. I really don't need something wildly different for a sequel, I just hope it can retain what was fun about the game.

A bloody palace style mode could maybe be fun. Basically a challenge tower of combat arenas. Sometimes you just want the shooty part for a little bit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I would love to play more but I don't know if I really want to play through "hell" again, but since this is Doom and all I dunno what other direction it can possibly go. Space would be cool - as in a vast space station.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Critics adored DOOM's simple approach of "Doom guy wakes up and murders hell demons", but i wonder if that could carry over to a sequel with todays expectations.
    The gameplay would be pretty much the same, which would be enough for some people, but i'm not sure how much excitement they could draw out from the same premise, maybe turn it into a third person shooter or an RTS or something :P.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't really enjoy the game so a sequal doesn't light me on fire.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they risk diluting the already fun combat by adding too many new mechanics. They still could make a sequel feel fresh and distinct from the previous game by experimenting with the environments, enemy encounters, the sound design, etc. That said, after watching the Noclip documentary, it seemed like id knew exactly what they had on their hands with Doom, so I'm not too worried about the inevitable sequel.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

@oursin_360: What system? How long does it take to download?

I am on PC, i was on 24mb internet and just upgraded to 50mb but either way it takes longer than i am willing to give while also eating into my bandwidth for no fucking reason.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

If you can't stand the metal, get out of hell.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Spider Mastermind Vs Cyber Demon obv

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Nodima

Just more. I wouldn't even need new guns necessarily, just a fun story and good level design. It's been a super long time but what was the core difference between DOOM and DOOM II the first time around? Just replicate that.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ezekiel

@artisanbreads said:
    @ezekiel said:

If you can't stand the metal, get out of hell.

It's not metal, it's some kind of ugly dubstep with a little bit of metal. Pretty bland, overall.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@ezekiel: oh nooo you can't call it dub step I think or I would hate it. I really liked it personally.

I would like to hear a game actually have a straight up metal soundtrack at some point (it's a rarity in general and especially for any kind of big game).

Dynasty Warriors still holding it down I guess.

I do agree with you that they can do upgrades better and also they can make it a little more interesting and less mechanical feeling to get upgrades too. I appreciate challenges to get unlocks (I think it's pretty cool) but some were a little annoying in the first game too.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: oh nooo you can't call it dub step I think or I would hate it. I really liked it personally.

I would like to hear a game actually have a straight up metal soundtrack at some point (it's a rarity in general and especially for any kind of big game).

Hello there.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bigsocrates: haha yes this is exactly my thought but I want a game that isn't about metal. Like I want a dark fantasy type game with some straight up metal soundtrack that would be badass.

For me, I was one of those people that was out on Brutal Legend when I saw what it was (even though I do like strategy games myself).

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, absolutely Doom was fantastic. I don't NEED a sequel, but I would like one.

Just give me some new levels, demons, environments and a few new guns - perhaps new attachments for each? I don't want them to change the formula.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: I do agree with you that they can do upgrades better and also they can make it a little more interesting and less mechanical feeling to get upgrades too. I appreciate challenges to get unlocks (I think it's pretty cool) but some were a little annoying in the first game too.

I didn't have an issue with any of the upgrade minigames I played, I just didn't like the menus and trying to figure out what upgrades I needed.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I frickin' hope so. More sick music and even sicker gameplay!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: you're entitled to your opinion of course but I think you are in the vast minority in thinking the music was bland or "dubstep-y" in any way.

I don't like "heavy-guitar-music" if we don't want to use labels, but I thought the soundtrack in Doom fit extremely well and did a lot to elevate the frantic atmosphere overall.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Doom single player, LESS Doom multiplayer. Thank you, good day.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A jetpack

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ezekiel

@humanity said:

@ezekiel: you're entitled to your opinion of course but I think you are in the vast minority in thinking the music was bland or "dubstep-y" in any way.

I don't like "heavy-guitar-music" if we don't want to use labels, but I thought the soundtrack in Doom fit extremely well and did a lot to elevate the frantic atmosphere overall.

The music was indistinct and mediocre. I'm not alone.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/663.988919-How-did-you-play-Doom-and-how-did-you-like-it

"Music blended together in my head into one noisy mess. I don't remember any of it."

"Only after I finished it that I realized I couldn't remember any of the music except for the ambient hellscape theme, and that was only because of the chanting choir. I hate to shit on Mick Gordon because I love what he did on the Killer Instinct soundtrack, but why use fucking dubstep for the music? That kills me because I don't like dubstep."

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NTM

@ezekiel: I thought the music was pretty repetitive and not that great aside from the twists on the original music in some cases, but playing it again on Nightmare, while I wouldn't say it's music I love listening to outside of the game, inside the game it really fits well with what you're doing and it's not an aspect I feel negative about. Like the game itself, it's a lot better than I first thought as now it adds to the hectic nature of the battles in which you're dodging incoming attacks. The ambient music that plays when just exploring is also good. I suppose more variation in the type of tones/notes that come out of the music while using the same instruments could be welcome, but the music as is fits so well with what you're doing I find it hard to complain.

I do agree that the music isn't memorable in that you could hum or sing it (other than the ambient hellscape theme, which is the rendition of an old Doom song I was talking about), but I don't think that's the point. People say metal because of the instruments used and the momentum they're played, but the way some of it fades in and fades out to something else is similar to dubstep, but it's really more akin to metal. You don't need a memorable, distinct song in a game for it to be good always. Plus, I bet if you heard the music, while you wouldn't be able to say when exactly it played in the game, you'd know it was Doom. Not many games have that kind of music. Personally, I am in no way a fan of metal music, but like I said, it just fits really well in Doom. The ways the music plays in every moment is done greatly.

BaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want the sequel to take place in Tamriel in the middle of Daedric invasion, it could double as a sequel to Hexan at the same time.

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slasktotten

Oh man I really, REALLY want to launch into a big defense of the Doom soundtrack, both the score itself and how wonderfully dynamic it was implemented. But I'll just say this, I would disagree that it's dubsteppy. Go back and listen to like the quake 1 and 2 soundtracks and it might make more sense. It's a super good and a faithful update of the 90's industrial metal you found in those early id titles.

I think we'll see a sequel! The gameplay itself of the new Doom was brilliant. More enemy types would be great, more outlandish level design and maybe just a more diverse look to the levels? Apart from that, just more Doom would be great :)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

@justin258: Yep, I agree about the Metroidvania thing. Looking at the map reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime for instance, and how it's layered. I dislike the point of no return on the maps. I re-read Brad's review after I made this thread, and it seems he said that same exact thing (a well-written review I agree with, maybe aside from believing it's the best thing ever, ha ha). It really is, perhaps, the worst aspect of the game. I like the almost contradictory nature of the combat and exploration, where combat is about fast, little to no stopping movement, while the exploration really allows you to soak up the atmosphere. It feels good to clear stages out of all enemies and then backtrack through the levels to find secrets.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Humanity

@ezekiel: Unless dubstep changed dramatically since the last time I heard it I don't think the Doom soundtrack can be anything further from what normal fans of that genre typically consider "dubstep" unless of course Nine Inch Nails also falls under the dubstep umbrella, or basically any music that uses electronic augmentation of any kind.

Also here are some links if you like that sort of thing

Ars Technica - "One of the year's best video game soundtracks is now available to buy—but its rippin', rockin' qualities aren't the only reason you should care. Doom 2016's soundtrack is just as notable for its path from video game to MP3."

Kotaku - "I don’t really know how to talk about Mick Gordon’s DOOM soundtrack, mostly because it speaks for itself so forcefully and convincingly."

GameSpot - "It might just be the best of the year."

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked DOOM (single player) quite a lot, and critics sure loved it, but did it really sell that well? It seemed like it went on sale almost immediately, and regularly has deep discounts on Steam.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ezekiel

@humanity said:

@ezekiel: Unless dubstep changed dramatically since the last time I heard it I don't think the Doom soundtrack can be anything further from what normal fans of that genre typically consider "dubstep" unless of course Nine Inch Nails also falls under the dubstep umbrella, or basically any music that uses electronic augmentation of any kind.

Also here are some links if you like that sort of thing

Ars Technica - "One of the year's best video game soundtracks is now available to buy—but its rippin', rockin' qualities aren't the only reason you should care. Doom 2016's soundtrack is just as notable for its path from video game to MP3."

Kotaku - "I don’t really know how to talk about Mick Gordon’s DOOM soundtrack, mostly because it speaks for itself so forcefully and convincingly."

GameSpot - "It might just be the best of the year."

Disagree. It is at least reminiscent of dubstep. Now, I don't know how to define music, so I can't make a good argument. Even the Wikipedia definition is hard for me to understand. But I know that sound. Whatever the music is, I didn't care much for it.

I also don't put much stock in professional reviewers. All of 'em masturbating over Hellblade recently just reminded me that you can't trust anyone. I only gave you those quotes because you said I'm a vast minority.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Those quotes didn't really do much to disprove that - a vast majority of online outlets considered it, if not the best, then a solid contender for soundtrack of the year. Also I would never put any stock into anything said on forums. Critics aren't all that much better, but at least their writing is typically held to some level of scrutiny (unless it's Arthur Gies then you just spew out whatever you want and present it as fact) but people online aren't even held to that minimal standard.

Now I personally didn't like the soundtrack to Doom SO much that I'd label it as my soundtrack of the year, but like @ntm mentioned above me, I do think it specifically did work extremely well in that setting.

As for your disagreement over whether it's dubstep reminiscent or adjacent then I don't know what to tell you. With all due respect I think you are completely off the mark in this case as it bares basically zero resemblance to dubstep. As I mentioned earlier it has a lot of electronic distortion in it, but none of it is what you usually associate with dubstep. Mick Gordon ran his music through a computer and that is the only similarity really. Of course, if you think you hear dubstep in it then I can't really put my foot down and say "no I know better what you are hearing" but it's like someone saying they heard acoustic guitar in a song so it must be Country Music because they heard acoustic guitars in Country Music before.

All that said, it's your opinion. The only reason I took issue with what you wrote to such a degree is that I dislike it when people put out blanket statements like "the music is bad" as opposed to "I didn't enjoy the music." Of course most of the time thats implied, but I did get the distinct feeling that you are specifically trying to say the music was objectively bad, as opposed to you disliking it on a personal level.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom spoke to me on so many levels. I thought it was a damn near perfect game in my opinion, so yeah, I want a sequel but I'm not sure what I'd want. After it gets made though, I want Bethesda to get real fucking crazy and do a Doom-Wolfenstein cross over where it's co-op, you're slaying demons, nazis, nazi demons, hell nazis, Uber demons, and whatnot. I'd also like it be current to their respective universes so you're destroying everything across the lands of nazi ruled America, Hell, etc.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ezekiel
    @humanity said:

@ezekiel: Those quotes didn't really do much to disprove that - a vast majority of online outlets considered it, if not the best, then a solid contender for soundtrack of the year. Also I would never put any stock into anything said on forums. Critics aren't all that much better, but at least their writing is typically held to some level of scrutiny (unless it's Arthur Gies then you just spew out whatever you want and present it as fact) but people online aren't even held to that minimal standard.

Now I personally didn't like the soundtrack to Doom SO much that I'd label it as my soundtrack of the year, but like @ntm mentioned above me, I do think it specifically did work extremely well in that setting.

As for your disagreement over whether it's dubstep reminiscent or adjacent then I don't know what to tell you. With all due respect I think you are completely off the mark in this case as it bares basically zero resemblance to dubstep. As I mentioned earlier it has a lot of electronic distortion in it, but none of it is what you usually associate with dubstep. Mick Gordon ran his music through a computer and that is the only similarity really. Of course, if you think you hear dubstep in it then I can't really put my foot down and say "no I know better what you are hearing" but it's like someone saying they heard acoustic guitar in a song so it must be Country Music because they heard acoustic guitars in Country Music before.

All that said, it's your opinion. The only reason I took issue with what you wrote to such a degree is that I dislike it when people put out blanket statements like "the music is bad" as opposed to "I didn't enjoy the music." Of course most of the time thats implied, but I did get the distinct feeling that you are specifically trying to say the music was objectively bad, as opposed to you disliking it on a personal level.

I'd rather read through user opinions and try to filter through the nonsense than depend solely on professional reviewers who pussyfoot around their honest opinions. They don't like criticizing mechanics and design the majority of players are used to and accept, so they usually just complain about bugs. If they were completely honest with their biased opinions, people would quickly grow to hate them and start ignoring them, and they wouldn't get the site/YouTube hits they need to keep working. Their bosses would probably tell them their reviews are unprofessional and fire them.

Electronic music isn't foreign to me. But if you, the expert on dubstep, says it isn't that, then who am I to argue? What I heard was a lot of noise that occasionally coalesced into something slightly exciting.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Dussck

Hell yea! I'm up for more Doom! Just like original Doom 2 it should take place on Earth, while still traveling to Hell and back. They shouldn't change much of the gameplay, just some new enemies, weapons and environments.

Oh yea and there should be a co-op option for the whole campaign. :)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: lol it isn't dubstep dude. You don't have to be an expert to figure that out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.