Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Dec 10, 1993

In one of the most revolutionary first-person shooters of the 1990s, players control the last remaining space marine in the demon-infested stations on Mars' moons.

Is this game supposed to be hard?

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By violet_

I've finished this game and it's sequel on the second hardest difficulty (only because the hardest told me it was "unfair" and I have zero interest in cheap bullshit, though I breezed through the first episode on that).

And.. is this it? I turned off auto aim and it's still something I could finish in my sleep, am I really good at games or is this game just looked at through a nostalgic lens regarding its difficulty because I'm not really terribly impressed with it in regards to challenge.

EDIT: I seem to have posted it in the wrong DOOM forum which is strange since I started the thread in the original DOOM's forum. Sorry about that!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By gundogan

@mub: id games have a big jump between the 2nd hardest and hardest. Ultra Violence is kinda easy, while Nightmare is okay in terms of challenge. Still not unfair hard or whatever.

So, no, if you know what you're doing.

Edit: ow, this is for the old games. Still valid. :)

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hayt

Not to be a pedant and this is 100% id's fault for naming the game this but I assume this should be attached to the Doom page? As for diffculty of the original games I'm curious what control set up you used? Original without mouse-look or the modern ones that use it? I have to say I thought it was pretty tough playing through with only keyboard on Ultra-Violence but hey, maybe you're just good at games. I've certainly played games that I've heard are hard and thought they weren't. That said I don't know if Doom was ever thought as being a super hard game but I was very young when it came out and I played it so I wasn't tuned into public opinion.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

Not to be a pedant and this is 100% id's fault for naming the game this but I assume this should be attached to the Doom page? As for diffculty of the original games I'm curious what control set up you used? Original without mouse-look or the modern ones that use it? I have to say I thought it was pretty tough playing through with only keyboard on Ultra-Violence but hey, maybe you're just good at games. I've certainly played games that I've heard are hard and thought they weren't. That said I don't know if Doom was ever thought as being a super hard game but I was very young when it came out and I played it so I wasn't tuned into public opinion.

I use mouse-look. I've heard people say doom is super challenging and doesn't hold your hand which I feel like isn't true: it sort of does teach you through level design, and communicate ideas through trial and error. It's a brilliant game for giving you the tools to learn. I was built up by many of my friends saying how hard it is and I've seen many people call it a "hard" game, I was expecting something crazy. Maybe I'm just at an advantage for playing video games for a long time.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sinusoidal

If you're talking original Doom and you want difficult, play without a mouse like we often had to back in the early 90s. Up and down arrow keys move forward and backward. Left and right turn left and right. To strafe you have to hold alt and press left or right (I remember not learning that until years after the fact.) Ctrl fires. If you wanted to use a mouse, you'd have to load a mouse driver into DOS and many machines couldn't do a very good job of that and run the game at the same time. And even then, the mouse couldn't look up and down, so id made it instead move you forward and backward if you push it up or down. Ugh. If you really want to reproduce what it was like, also emulate DOS and throttle your speed until it won't run at a decent frame rate unless you make your view port tiny. Have fun! We certainly did. In a world ruled by the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World, it was fucking amazing killing each other in 3D over the local YMCA's network of 386s.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mub: Mouselook might be why, since it kinda breaks the difficulty in places.

And Nightmare is, indeed unfair. The game even says that before you start it.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Strathy

//Edit// I was trolled by the thread title and thought this was a 'New' Doom thing. Nevermind.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is in a wrong forum, mods should move this one.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strathy said:

I think the problem is with mouselook making the PC version spesifically easy (as people have mentioned above). For me it felt like enemies had a really hard time hitting you if you were moving, so as long as you kept circulating throughout an arena then you rarely take any damage. Moving constantly like that would also make it hard to aim on a pad and so ballance it out, but on a mouse & keyboard setup you can do both simultaniously, and I just don't think the game is built for that.

I'd be all like "PC faster-space wins again" but it's actually kind of unsatisfying... If there was a hit-scan enemies like the original doom then it would solve the problem by forcing you to prioritise targets and not just kite around with impunity - but there isn't.

Huh? There totally are hitscan enemies in the original Doom, it's just that they aren't very good. In Doom 1, there's the Zombie and the Shotgun guy, along with the Spider Mastermind. Doom 2 adds the Chaingun guy

Fake edit: Oh, you're talking about the new Doom. There is one, the shield guy. Still, this thread is about old Doom.

Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, I think he was talking about Doom 3. Mods plz move to appropriate forum thanks

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

If we're talking about the first two Doom games, they are hard as hell if you want to kill every single monster in the game. That's basically a suicide mission that never ends well. Speedrunning is where it's at on those games, and getting a shorter and shorter time is always entertaining for me. I quit doing them about two years ago, though.

If we're talking about Doom 3, I didn't ever find it to be too difficult. It was a chore on harder difficulties, but that was about it.

If we're talking about the new Doom, I've only been through on Ultra-Violent so far. The enemies hit you like a truck, even on that setting, early in the game. Once you've gained some upgrades, it's not AS bad, but it's still fierce. I can only imagine that it gets more difficult. I really want to get back into it, buuuuuut my crippling addictions to Marvel Heroes, Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, and Hearthstone...and now Overwatch...are holding me back from it.

I think that covers all of the tracks that aren't Doom RPG on mobiles. That game was cool. They should do something like that again.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Hamst3r

I think the only time I actually played all the way through DOOM and thought it was exceptionally difficult was the first time I played it back in 1995. It's not that hard of a game.

Perhaps you'd enjoy the Master Levels.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.