Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Door Kickers

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 20, 2014

Door Kickers is a top-down real-time SWAT tactics game.

This is out now, and is pret t gud

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie
    i smelled the marijuanas let's kill a grandma
    i smelled the marijuanas let's kill a grandma

Been playing this for a few hours over the last couple of days, and it's pretty rad. I dig the constant progression aspects of it, and the single mission stuff is great to launch into if you've only got time for a ten-minute playsession. I'm still not great at it - figuring out precisely how to set up stuff like go codes is a little complicated, and I generally tend to just stick with real-time mode and cautiously move guys around rather than create elaborate plans in the strategic mode. Maybe I'll give that a whirl, though.

Seems like there's a decent amount of content for 20 bucks, and the level editor looks like it'll allow for a bunch more to come down the pipe.

Hope this game catches on! It's a great laptop game, too, as it runs even on my old-ass Dell at work. I'm sure a tablet version is in the pipes, but they'll have to make some changes to the control scheme to make that work. My main criticism now is that it could probably use a more amped-up soundtrack than what they went with, but maybe that's just the shadow that Hotline: Miami casts over the entire top-down action genre at this point.

Also, I guess I should note that it's remarkable how quickly this game launches and exits and loads levels. It's obviously not rendering megatextures or anything, but you can literally go from hitting the Steam launch button to being in a single mission within ten seconds. It's entirely conceivable that you could get a whole mission off before your boss gets back from his bathroom break. An under-noticed but really appreciable thing in these times of 45-second pre-menu splash graphics. (This is one reason I gave up on Metro: Last Light.)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Northernlion's video of it was interesting. I mean it's a Paradox game, it has to be good by default. Steam sale awaits!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Bought this and do not regret it at all. It's a fantastic strategic game!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

Northernlion's video of it was interesting. I mean it's a Paradox game, it has to be good by default. Steam sale awaits!

Yep, I added it to my wishlist after that. It looks Frozen Synapse...but not as good, which is still pretty good, because Frozen Synapse is absolutely fantastic.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@fredchuckdave said:

Yep, I added it to my wishlist after that. It looks Frozen Synapse...but not as good, which is still pretty good, because Frozen Synapse is absolutely fantastic.

Really? I actually came away from that video thinking it was a step-up from Frozen Synapse. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I think both games hold a high bar of merit now. Frozen Synapse is a much more tactile game, as Doorkickers is a lot more puzzle focused.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#6  Edited By Sin4profit

Appreciate the recommendation. I've been on the fence with this one, having played a few tactics based games that fell kinda flat. I'll probably have to check it out sooner rather then wait for a sale.

@rorie I'm curious, what is, "real time mode", have you played SWAT 2 and does it play like that or is it more, "set orders and execute" like Frozen Synapse?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Appreciate the recommendation. I've been on the fence with this one, having played a few tactics based games that fell kinda flat. I'll probably have to check it out sooner rather then wait for a sale.

@rorie I'm curious, what is, "real time mode", have you played SWAT 2 and does it play like that or is it more, "set orders and execute" like Frozen Synapse?

I haven't played either of those, so I can't speak to it. I always meant to try Frozen Synapse but never got around to it.

Basically, you can pause the game and queue up a bunch of actions, or you can play real-time. (Every mission seems to have a medal for only planning the mission at the start and never interacting with your soldiers in real-time, and I'd love to meet the person who pulls that off on the later missions.)

The people you're fighting against will usually walk around during real-time, so if they wander into your cop's field of vision, they'll get blasted. This is how I generally wind up going through most missions: putting the terrorists or kidnappers or whoever on alert, having my guys sit back with fields of fire on all approach vectors, and waiting for the enemies to come to me and get cut down. Some enemies will stick to their positions, of course, and you have to go after them. And I've only recently got into the crazier stuff like enemies who kill hostages or people who destroy evidence as soon as they're alerted. (Not sure how massive bags of cocaine can be thoroughly destroyed in less than a minute, but OK.)

It's basically like any other pause-and-play combo game, like the old Infinity Engine games: go crazy with real-time if you think you have the advantage, or hit the pause button every few seconds to plan stuff out if you've got two cops and have to take out a dozen bad guys. You can only control one cop at a time in real-time mode, though, which can make things interesting.

Hopefully we'll have a quick look of it at some point next week. It's pretty rad.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

@rorie: Cool, thanks! I'll probably check it out when you guys get a quick look up.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Been on my wish list forever. Probably will still wait, get the kinks out and patch, but glad it seems good. it gave me a R6 vibe but from top-down view and why has there not been any successful turn based modern military games? I know Breach and Clear was probably the most recent success, but ARMA put out a terrible game, and ??? How about a Battlefield top down turn based, i would play that.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

Only $10 on Russian Steam and looks like no region lock! Time to look for a key somewhere.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rorie: The caption on that pic just made my year.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a weird concept for a game. I love me some strategy games but I'm not a PC gamer so I'm unfortunately missing out on this one.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By yinstarrunner

Wow, it looks like somebody besides me really liked the old Rainbow Six games.

Yes, I was that guy that planned out the whole mission beforehand, complete with Go Codes and all that, in those games. So, I'm pretty excited about trying this out.

Nothing more satisfying than spending a long time on a mission plan, only to hit go and not have to touch a thing once the ball starts rolling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.