Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Dota 2 Getting a Big Ol' Patch With Rekindling Soul Update

• 92 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

UPDATE: Tweaked to reflect what's actually changing with Shadow Fiend. Thanks!

---

Though Valve just wrapped up The International 4, the studio continues to tweak DOTA 2. The latest changes come from the Rekindling Soul update, otherwise known as version 6.82. It's significant.

First and foremost, Shadow Fiend has been dealt some changes, mostly aesthetically. Here's a summary of where he's (it's?) at:

No Caption Provided

There's an entire page that demonstrates the new and improved Shadow Fiend. Coinciding with Shadow Fiend's update is the availability of an arcana item set, which grants a different skin, voice, attack effects, and other ways of making your character stand out 'n look pretty.

Other changes include courier morph (which means your courier will be temporarily visually displayed), the launch of fantasy (a la fantasy football) season two, fight recap (providing a detailed statistical breakdown of matches), a new location for Roshan on the map, tweaked versions of Bloodseeker and Phantom Lancer, and a bunch of other changes that are better seen by reading the bottom of this page.

Because I don't know anything about Dota 2, I asked our expert, Mr. Shoemaker, for quick thoughts:

"This is the most radical stuff they've done to the fundamentals of Dota 2 since it came out. They're the kind of changes normal people would look at and roll their eyes--stuff like a handful of trees being in a different place. But changes like that just keep raising the skill ceiling because they give really good players a ton more options for ways to maneuver and strategize. The nature of these changes is tantamount to changing the length of a football field or the duration of a shot clock in basketball, except there isn't just one change, there's a ton of them."

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

We need a statement from Pro DOTA 2 player Dan Ryckert.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Relkin

Lot of interesting changes in here. Phantom Lancer looks like he'll be a lot more fun to play, and a lot of those new Scepter bonuses look real cool, and Riki's invisiblity is now a regular ability? Guess I'm going back to dota. Gotta see how all of this plays out.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus Christ. We're through the looking glass here, people.

Nightcrawlah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Bloodseeker is amazing. So much more fun to play now.

Dooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Two runes? Extra gold and XP from a rune? What in the hell is happening???

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

Man new PL is fun, and the doubling up on runes completely changes both mid and offlane game.

I haven't seen this big a change since the Dota 1 days. It's crazy.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By theodacourt

@patrickklepek Well he hasn't really had much changed mechanically...just minor balance alterations like most heroes! The big change is aesthetic, and I think people voted for it during the international 4 via the compendium!

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Patrick, Shadow Fiend has not been changed mechanically. The image you've posted shows Shadow Fiend as he's been for the past three years. That's even the old-model, not the new one.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By chilibean_3

This update is kind of nuts. I think most of the changes will be good. Not sure about those rune changes yet.

And, yeah. Patrick, Shadow Fiend's model changed but how he plays just saw some minor balance tweaks like most of the heroes did. The heroes that have seen the most change are Phantom Lancer, Bloodseeker and Riki.

They're attempting to make Phantom Lancer play completely different and for different purposes. The Bloodseeker changes are...weird. It might take time playing with him to see how he works out. Dude might end up crazy strong. Riki is still trash.

smokyexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this patch is something else.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This article is so funny at so many levels.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Jeldh

Shadow Fiend is the same. In fact his skills has been changed almost the least.

Also, you missed the most BREAKING NEWS:

"But we’re pretty sure we won’t be able to make enough progress on the larger update if we put it down to work on Diretide – so we’ve decided that we’re not going to ship a Diretide event this year"

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ So it begins.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man, that quote from Brad is pretty exciting by itself.

I wish any ounce of me was actually interested in playing DotA 2 because it seems like there's endless joy there if you're into it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Largest change is definitely Dark Seer. I have a feeling that is going to have significant ramifications.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh man i have to sit down, i don't think i can handle all these radical changes.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Presumably after looking at the stats for previous versions, they thought the Plays were either too Big or not Big enough?

I wonder if they will ever release a change that ends up splitting the player base so it ends up like rugby where there are two distinct styles of game played.

Ceramicsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Ryckert comments

"Oh they did some stuff with tanya, that's pretty cool."

D_Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By D_Mac

I came here just to read Brad's statement.

BobaTrainwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Icefrog basically changed the laws of physics yesterday.

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yurimegumi
    No Caption Provided

HELLO DID SOMEONE MENTION A NEW PATCH

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Did these patch notes come inside a pizza??

xite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodseeker's new ability looks kind of amazing. It draws a giant elaborate eye out of blood on the ground and then explodes.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Homelessbird

@pete0r: Arguably that already happened with the move to Dota 2.

Also I feel like the change that everybody is missing is TP price dropping to 100 gold

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chilibean_3 said:

Riki is still trash.

At least he sounds like fun trash now.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#26 fisk0  Moderator

@pete0r said:

Presumably after looking at the stats for previous versions, they thought the Plays were either too Big or not Big enough?

I wonder if they will ever release a change that ends up splitting the player base so it ends up like rugby where there are two distinct styles of game played.

Didn't that essentially happen when Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends spawned out of the original DOTA?

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By yurimegumi

@homelessbird: nah Riki was always trash, now he's just (less) invisible and more trash

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By KaneRobot

Daymn. Getting THE Brad Shoemaker to comment on a Giant Bomb story is a hell of a "get" for Patrick.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By forteexe21

I only read patch notes if they come in a pizza like EA.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Honkalot

@yurimegumi: How is he less invisible?

From what I understand he can now get permanent invisibility whenever he pleases from level 1. Fade times though I guess.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Onemanarmyy

This update is bonkers. PL feels pretty different to play now, almost like a Spirtbreaker with short charges. Bloodseeker also feels more interesting, you actually have to pick moments when it's worth it to heal. And his AOE nuke gives him more options in teamfights. pretty cool.

jschlic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jschlic

The Roshan changes are insane! dropping the aegis timer to 5 minutes will force BIG PLAYS much faster after a Roshan kill

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Counter Helix chance to activate increased from 17% to 20%!??!?!!?!?

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and we are just to assume that there is no correlation between the delay of the last dlc of dark SOULS (in which we where finally going to 'KINDLE' the first flame) and now valve coming out with a dota patch called REKINDLING SOUL. At the same time valve owns steam where i already got a season-pass for the dlc. And steam just changed it form! Like it crossed the sea and claimed the dark soul for its own.its even blue! like the sea or a really hot flame!

You are telling me there is nothing going on here! REALLY? THIS is why game journalism is dead! Valve is using the DARK SOUL to rekindle the ancients! Like those places don't look like there is a primal bonfire somewhere in there...

GAMES JOURNALISM IS DEAD

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Did they add controller support?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Man so many changes, so many!

they even changed damage types!

The Meta will be unrecognizable after this patch.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how you were able to secure a quote from Mr. Shoemaker, but congrats on the get.

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By enai

Shut the internet down!

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rayeth

You do not want to play this game with a controller. It might be possible to play on a controller at a basic level, but in order to compete effectively the controller cannot possibly have enough precision to make all the tiny adjustments you need to be a strong player. Things like animation cancelling (useful in many ways including tricking opponents or reacting to immediate changes), queuing abilities, and other things like that would be outright impossible.

I think playing a game like dota might be possible with a controller (Drew said that iPad one was pretty good I think?), but actually playing Dota that way would be a terrible experience.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41  Edited By Crono
    @rayeth said:

@tajasaurus said:

You do not want to play this game with a controller. It might be possible to play on a controller at a basic level, but in order to compete effectively the controller cannot possibly have enough precision to make all the tiny adjustments you need to be a strong player. Things like animation cancelling (useful in many ways including tricking opponents or reacting to immediate changes), queuing abilities, and other things like that would be outright impossible.

I think playing a game like dota might be possible with a controller (Drew said that iPad one was pretty good I think?), but actually playing Dota that way would be a terrible experience.

Totally. Would have to be built from the ground up for consoles. But I honestly wonder if the experience would just become so compromised by making it more suitable for a controller that it would just end up being a rather "meh" game that makes console gamers think "I don't get the mass appeal this has on PC."

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crono said:
    @rayeth said:

@tajasaurus said:

Totally. Would have to be built from the ground up for consoles. But I honestly wonder if the experience would just become so compromised by making it more suitable for a controller that it would just end up being a rather "meh" game that makes console gamers think "I don't get the mass appeal this has on PC."

Well Magicka is based off Invoker from DotA, and that has controller support. I think GB played it like that on an UPF or something! Not sure how actually good it was though. I imagine it would control somewhat similar to that

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pete0r: Arguably that already happened with the move to Dota 2.

Also I feel like the change that everybody is missing is TP price dropping to 100 gold

seems like they're really trying to incentivise more action with a lot of these changes.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

AAAAALLRIGHT if someone other then Brad is gonna start covering DOTA then I bloody well expect coverage of League character updates @patrickklepek what about the new Shurima update and the lore changes hmm? Hmm?? Azir? The Scion update leak? The complete graphical overhaul of the map? What about THAT Patrick?? COLLUSION. #GamerGate

(I don't actually expect any of that to happen)

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Honkalot

@yurimegumi: True.

On the plus side as long as there are creeps or heroes nearby you won't be able to hit him ever since he can blink strike around for days now.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Magicka is based off Invoker from DotA, and that has controller support. I think GB played it like that on an UPF or something! Not sure how actually good it was though. I imagine it would control somewhat similar to that

I have played Magicka. True it is based on Invoker from DotA. However, Invoker controls pretty differently than most DotA heroes, and even so with Magicka controls you simply cannot do nearly enough things to effectively play dota. The careful accurate positioning is paramount. Being able to start and stop your attacks, halt your current commands, blink in any direction instantly, etc. These things are just not possible with a controller AFAIK. Diablo 3 did a great job of adapting a game made for PC to consoles, but if you had a PC player vs a console player the result would be the same as if you tried to play Counterstrike with a 360 pad. It just doesn't work. The game would need to be totally re-designed to support that. Compared to what would be needed to support a controller, this patch is barely tinkering around the periphery. And since this is the biggest changes to DotA in 5 (!) years, that is saying quite a bit.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of my main characters got substantial buffs. Especially Warlock. His Ultimate ability was powerful before; now it is broke as fuck.

The changes to the map, the way runes work, and the way damage works are probably the most significant updates.

#newmeta

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayeth said:

@theodacourt said:

I have played Magicka. True it is based on Invoker from DotA. However, Invoker controls pretty differently than most DotA heroes, and even so with Magicka controls you simply cannot do nearly enough things to effectively play dota. The careful accurate positioning is paramount. Being able to start and stop your attacks, halt your current commands, blink in any direction instantly, etc. These things are just not possible with a controller AFAIK. Diablo 3 did a great job of adapting a game made for PC to consoles, but if you had a PC player vs a console player the result would be the same as if you tried to play Counterstrike with a 360 pad. It just doesn't work. The game would need to be totally re-designed to support that. Compared to what would be needed to support a controller, this patch is barely tinkering around the periphery. And since this is the biggest changes to DotA in 5 (!) years, that is saying quite a bit.

I guess that's true, but if people with controllers played against other controller people it would be balanced and I've never been good at fighting games but I'm sure some of those guys could get real good at twitchy dota things if they practiced!

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But does it make the game good?

tonygxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick, you're a good writer but you shouldn't be writing about things you don't know or care about. Why isn't Brad writing this up?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.