Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

F***ing DOTA 2. Come on and let me play. -Rant.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Edited By BinaryDragon

Right. Look here.

I've been patient, and sadly, I check steam everyday but really I think I'm at the end of my tether. Where is the seven realms of bloody mordor/halflife parallel universes is DOTA2 for mac? I've watched games online I've checked to see if indeed it was built in the Source engine (it is!) and I've waited. I've waited and I've checked and I've waited.

But it's still 'not available on your platform', despite me having a beta key, and the means to set up my old PC to run the damn thing. I've got to a point of extreme stubbonness. I suppose I should be used to this by now, but hey, I guess I will never really learn. Valve move at the speed of frozen black pitch (google that it's fascinating).

Now, I know, I should have expected it, and I know I can install windows on my mac -I just don't want to for ONE game. It's such a waste of hard-disk space and my time. I know there are solutions to this and that I could work SOMETHING out with wine wrappers and such. Quite frankly I just can't be fucked.

I'm just excited enough about DOTA2 to care that I can't play it on my macbook (which is the most powerful PC-like thing I have), but not enough to: buy a new pc, put my old one back together since I moved, install windows on my mac or even contact valve directly.

The only thing I can be bothered to do is complain about it on the internet. Here on this blog I've not updated since a very disappointing Microsoft press conference of 2011. FAIL.

The weird thing I can't shake is that valve could be making money out of me, because at this point I'm actually desperate enough I'd buy a hat just to play it.

/Rant

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BinaryDragon

Right. Look here.

I've been patient, and sadly, I check steam everyday but really I think I'm at the end of my tether. Where is the seven realms of bloody mordor/halflife parallel universes is DOTA2 for mac? I've watched games online I've checked to see if indeed it was built in the Source engine (it is!) and I've waited. I've waited and I've checked and I've waited.

But it's still 'not available on your platform', despite me having a beta key, and the means to set up my old PC to run the damn thing. I've got to a point of extreme stubbonness. I suppose I should be used to this by now, but hey, I guess I will never really learn. Valve move at the speed of frozen black pitch (google that it's fascinating).

Now, I know, I should have expected it, and I know I can install windows on my mac -I just don't want to for ONE game. It's such a waste of hard-disk space and my time. I know there are solutions to this and that I could work SOMETHING out with wine wrappers and such. Quite frankly I just can't be fucked.

I'm just excited enough about DOTA2 to care that I can't play it on my macbook (which is the most powerful PC-like thing I have), but not enough to: buy a new pc, put my old one back together since I moved, install windows on my mac or even contact valve directly.

The only thing I can be bothered to do is complain about it on the internet. Here on this blog I've not updated since a very disappointing Microsoft press conference of 2011. FAIL.

The weird thing I can't shake is that valve could be making money out of me, because at this point I'm actually desperate enough I'd buy a hat just to play it.

/Rant

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Test version is available for mac, so it's safe to assume it will be out for mac soon.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

Seems odd to rage against a game that's still in beta. Seems even more odd to get angry that it's not available on Mac. That's like being pissed that the Wii U Mario game isn't available on PS3.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BinaryDragon

@Ravenlight said:

Seems odd to rage against a game that's still in beta. Seems even more odd to get angry that it's not available on Mac. That's like being pissed that the Wii U Mario game isn't available on PS3.

Not when they've stated that it's coming to Mac. It's nothing like a wii U game on the PS3, that is highly improbable and nintendo would do that and they have not announced it's coming to any other non nintendo device. In fact it's nothing like at at all. you need a better analogy.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BinaryDragon

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Test version is available for mac, so it's safe to assume it will be out for mac soon.

where is this test version? how do i get my hands on it? and where do I sacrifice the goat?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ben_H
    @BinaryDragon said:

it's coming to Mac. 

Note the word is coming to Mac, not came to Mac. They're probably still making it and don't want to release a broken product. Hold your horses. 

If all else fails, just use WINE to install Windows Steam, then install DOTA 2 through that. It might work. I've got that to work for other games in the past. According to the Crossover site (which is a major WINE product you can buy. I use it), DOTA 2 works kinda on Mac and quite well on Linux using the method I described. It's worth a try if you are that desperate. Just remember the performance won't be that great.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@BinaryDragon said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

where is this test version? how do i get my hands on it? and where do I sacrifice the goat?

If you have Dota 2 you should have Dota 2 Test in your game library.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kindgineer

If you're that desperate, why not just dual boot into Windows for the time-being?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    @Ravenlight

That's a bit of a shaky analogy there sir. I'm calling you out on it.
    gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gloomytangent

I mean, the game isn't even out, much less feature complete, so... yeah. How long did it take for a Mac version of TF2? I'm sure when they officially launch they'll push a client for both OSes, but right now they're just worried about getting their infrastructure in place, adding tutorials, getting the economy going, tightening up the art assets, etc.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@BinaryDragon said:

In fact it's nothing like at at all. you need a better analogy.

Yeah. In retrospect it was terrible. However, it was a simile, not an analogy! Pyrrhic victory > no victory.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BinaryDragon

you all know it was more a rant about my inability to actually do any of the options rather than wait for it to come out and complain about how long it takes right? That's kind of the whole ridiculous point of the blog post. Being utterly stupid.

We all do it complain about something on the internet for the sake of complaining. it's not even trolling it's actually worse. It's just plain LAZY.

For the record I don't want to boot in parallels because that is too much hard disk space for ONE game (I did actually state this, tl;dr is fine but best not to comment.) Plus wine it seems is far too unstable.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@BinaryDragon said:

In fact it's nothing like at at all. you need a better analogy.

Yeah. In retrospect it was terrible. However, it was a simile, not an analogy! Pyrrhic victory > no victory.

Hmm. You've won this round RAVENLIGHT. If that's even your real name.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By indiefinch

Your best bet is to just run Windows in bootcamp. I have a 500gig / 500gig partition on my iMac. But on my Macbook Pro I put just about 50gigs or less only to play Dota 2 while on the go. It might be worth it to just bootcamp and play some Dota then once they release the mac version remove the partition. It will take you less then an hour and I have never had any problems with it. Bits of the Mac client did show up this week on the Dota 2 Test client, but I have not seen any confirmation that anyone has gotten it to work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.