Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

How do you deal with it?

• 65 results
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BabyChooChoo

How do you deal with dumb players? I don't mean 'new the game' or anything like that. I mean flatout fucking retarded.

Just got done playing a pub match. Started out fine. Hero selection wasn't completely terrible. However, an immediate red flag went up when I noticed my lane buddy, a Leshrac, autoattacking...in the hard lane. Ok, fine, whatever, I've seen it before. I'll just ask him to stop and/or deal with it. Well, pretty soon, he pushes too close for comfort and eventually Invoker and Veno burn him down...with autoattacks. And what does he do? He curses me out for not helping.

I was playing Death Prophet.

I could silence, sure, but...hey, protip: silencing doesn't stop autoattacks. I fire off a crypt swarm to try and deter the would-be killers, but they keep on trucking while I wait for my cd. In any case, it happens again literally 45 later at which point he curses me out some more and asks to switch lanes. Fine, whatever, I move top. The same shit happens like 2-3 more times from what I can tell by looking at the scoreboard.

In any case, a few minutes later, they're all up in out base wrecking our shit. 3 heroes on our team get wiped out. There are 4 full-health enemy heroes in our base. It's me, at like fucking level 8-9, and 1 other guy left. That 1 guy gets destroyed so I back off. The Ursa on our team proceeds to curse me out for not helping. Huh? Again, did I miss something? Is my lvl 1 ult suddenly the most feared spell in the game? I mean c'mon. What. the. fuck.

In any case, the same 2 individuals continue to do dumb shit and then proceed to blame me for damn near all of it (keep in mind, at this point, the entire enemy team is fed as fuck), usually asking me why I didn't use my ult, and eventually, against my better judgement, I proceeded to curse them out as well.

It's not a big deal to most people, but I try to avoid stupid internet fights in my video games at all costs, but I guess I'm just not having a good day. Normally, I'd just ignore/mute them, but I dunno why I even bothered arguing.

But enough of my dumb fucking rant. Anyone got any similar stories to share? And how do you deal with rude/stupid players? You fire shots back or do you just ignore them?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tunaburn

i have these games. EVERY TIME I PLAY. its rare theres not at least one idiot in the game. im tunaburn on there if you wanna add.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By xdaknightx69

i just got access 2days ago and have no clue what you are talking about lol but i do avoid having fights with people in games.

in one of the game i had this guy on voice kept calling people the N word and ragging for no good reason, it was a bot game so i don't know why he was trying so hard lol

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

When I play, I only play with friends.

Then again I'm not that interested in the MOBA genre so I'm never drawn to playing on my own in the first place.

Keep playing and get to a higher rank so that you match out of stupids? I don't know how matchmaking works in DOTA2.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By supamon

It can't be helped because sometimes you get dumbasses in pubs. It could be that they were friends communicating on skype and turned on you as a scapegoat because they wanted to rage at someone.

Most of the time I try to ignore the negative comments since some of them just say it to get a rise out of you. Yes, there are people who will try to troll you even in dota. Just ignore them and play your best. If you win, awesome. If not, treat it as a learning experience and try to play better.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shaka999

I can't relate directly since I haven't played DotA2 yet, but as a frequent HoN player, it happens all of the time. If you don't do exactly what your teammate wants you to do, 99 times out of 100 people will bitch at you. Hence why I play with friends, or just play midwars because no one really cares.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By gosukiller

I just tell them what their problem is and then proceed to not count on them in fights and ganks. There is always plenty of chances for a 5v4 to turn out into a win.

If I lose? I forget about the game and go next!

EDIT: I ALSO AM VERY LIBERAL WITH THE REPORT BUTTON. I have had the "we have acted against this guy on your report" on more than one occasion.

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stonepawfox

it's just the reality of dota. people have bad games, or they aren't good, and because they are pissed off and feeling inadequate they blame other people. can't expect an overwhelming amount of maturity on pub dota matches.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

Wait. You get people who speak english? What the fuck is this bullshit. I only get people who spam gibberish and feed.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CheapPoison

You don't. Just have them and move on.

maybe try and educate help the mas much as you can but mostly that is followed by flaming so. Just suck it up.

Ignoring is the best way by far!

They will just rage harder if you acknoledge them and you win nothing by confronting them. Beside if they are raging in an internet game there is a good bet they won't be open to reason.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By renmckormack

Use More Skill and win on your own.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor

@BabyChooChoo: Just take it as a given that you'll have a game like that every once in a while. If you start moving up the matchmaking difficulty tier, those guys do get weeded out.

I was on the highest setting for a while until I decided that I was bored of the same 2/3 carries and actually wanted to learn to play support. I then did terribly for the next dozen or so games and eventually got dragged back down. It was a night and day difference. Now I've worked my way back up again and while you still get idiots, it's not nearly as common.

It's not an immediate solution but if you plan on sticking with the game, it's good to know. It'll start pairing you up with decent teams if you lose too many games also so don't worry, everyone has a bad match or even a bad full day every now and then.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAGZine

@BabyChooChoo: If people start running their mouth, I warn them that I'll just mute them and it'll make winning a lot more difficult since I won't be able to hear any information that you might try to be telling me.

If they keep running their mouth, I mute them and don't look back. Problem solved.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#14  Edited By Soap

I stopped playing this game because I was fed up of people getting pissed off at me for not being a pro on my first game.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hungry

Yeah it is just something you are going to have to live with if you decide to not queue as 5 all of the time. Which I highly suggest by the way, not only do you win more games but you get to dick off with your bros. The best thing you can do is try and find the humor in how bad they are. The key point is to not rage about it because that will just make you feel super shitty.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CheapPoison

@Soap said:

I stopped playing this game because I was fed up of people getting pissed off at me for not being a pro on my first game.

Well in the way the game functions i can see that people want at least you to have some base understandings of how everything goes.

Then again i base this on little so i wasn't in the game. People also just rage for no real reason a lot of the time.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Driam

Only play with friends, report anyone who behaves like an asshole and stop bitching. Works like a charm.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gunstar

The other players have the exact same opinion of you. Everyone thinks everyone else is 'playing wrong' because no one has the right mind to explain their case in an even format. The anonymous and brief nature of your interaction with these other players feeds into this. No one is willing to listen. This includes you.

How to get over it: play with friends or just let it go and try and conform to a role that you've been forced into. If you were DP and he was Lesh you could have just waited until your lvl 6 and then push like crazy. With your ult combined with diabolic edict you could make an early tower advantage for extra gold lost from him auto attacking the turret.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@Soap said:

to be honest, this is what keeps me from playing that game. I hopped in had no idea what I was doing and got flak for it. Perhaps a n00b den could be arranged on these forums (if there isn't one already)

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#20  Edited By Kidavenger

If people on your team are doing dumb shit, just go with it, there isn't really anything else you can do.

Have fun and get on to the next match.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#21  Edited By Soap

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Soap said:

to be honest, this is what keeps me from playing that game. I hopped in had no idea what I was doing and got flak for it. Perhaps a n00b den could be arranged on these forums (if there isn't one already)

The thing is, I even played on a bot match, which to my understanding was not ranked (obviously, as it's against bots) but even THEN people were getting pissy with me! .... I wasn't that bad.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By jorbear

I just try to play with my friends as often as I can, and if we do get stuck with a terrible player, we just try to move on with the game as fast as possible. It fucking sucks when you know you are better than the other team, but one or more of your teammates doesn't know what a last-hit is.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous

You just let it happen and move on. In this genre, this will happen and will always happen if you aren't playing with four other people you know. 

If you've played enough (i.e. hundreds/thousands of games) to know that what you were doing wasn't wrong, then they don't have any ground to stand on and you can just ignore them for being bad. If you're still learning and not 100% confident, look past their unnecessary insults to the core of their message and think about whether or not they might actually have a point. 

Dota and its clones require the thickest skin of any game to play, play well, and continue to play. You either learn to handle it or you'll get eaten alive.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@Soap: That is a bit serious... I guess the dota folks are very serious about their game? serious dicks am I right? (bad jokes)

venessaliu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By venessaliu

I am not get used to player with strangers,

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

I used to play.  Wasn't bad or good.  Could deny creeps, last hit, setup sentries, and go a full game with like 3 kills 3 deaths.   

Didn't matter though people always used to complain about something.  Eventually just got sick of spending hours of my time in a losing battle that people refuse to surrender.  Towards the end it got so bad the other team wouldn't even let us lose and just toyed with us until the creeps won for them. 

its a pity Dota is such a great idea and well made game.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Sackmanjones

Some guy gifted me this game. After reading all this I never ever want to play it.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vitor

@Sackmanjones said:

Some guy gifted me this game. After reading all this I never ever want to play it.

Play against bots first and then go into matchmaking. People are annoyed if you don't have a clue what your hero does which can be easily remedied with a few practice games. Every online community has assholes, it's just that DOTA is so dependent on communication that more people will vent over chat than you might be used to.

Probably the best game I've ever played though, no joke and I don't like online multiplayer much. Give it a shot, stick with it and you might fall in love like I did.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Vitor I actually didn't know there was a not mode for it. I may give it a shot then. But ill be honest, I have no freakin idea what these games are and how they play
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tunaburn

@Sackmanjones: it will take a long time to get the hang of it. like 200 games before you understand the mechanics all the way. and each game is 45 minutes long average. so be prepared to invest time.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vitor

@Sackmanjones said:

@Vitor I actually didn't know there was a not mode for it. I may give it a shot then. But ill be honest, I have no freakin idea what these games are and how they play

Just go to matchmaking and set up a private game and add bots to every available slot. It's not the most intuitive set-up but it works. Start with easy (very easy will teach you bad habits) and just see how it goes. I recommend going for a 'support' character to help your team and get a feel for it that way. Maybe watch a beginner video on youtube first if you can just to have the very basics explained (no real tutorial as of yet in the game itself).

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Sackmanjones said:

Yeah, GB user Tfruit hit me up with a code today but reading this thread has me thinking the same thing.

(To be fair, he did warn me about this when he gave me the code :))

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By psylah

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Soap said:

I played a bunch of LoL, so I went into DOTA 2 knowing how the MOBA genre works, but I hadn't yet grasped the differences in controls, items, and character specific skills. I still got yelled at by assholes. Fuck that game.

People on LoL are nicer to deal with since the tribunal, and therefore I enjoy it more.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By EpicSteve

That's the fault of this game not supplying the player's with the tools to learn the game. The fact I had to watch hour long Youtube videos to just wrap my head around what was going on is bullshit. It's beta, I get it. I just chose to not play because of that. Complexity and straight-up throwing player's in the deep-end without teaching them how to swim are two different things.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By clstirens

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Soap said:

I don't play Dota and other Mobas for the same reason. Too many people, just like the OP, rage too hard.

I'm not even too terrible, rather, I don't feed randomly, and I know a fair bit of the Do's and Don'ts of the game. I just can't play with complete assholes nearly every game, when the game itself is stressful as is. And no, I'm not even always the person that gets yelled at.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Th3irdEye

I've been coming across slightly different situations in my games. I'm new and since I know I suck I'm playing coop bot matches only at this point. I figured that bot matches were a safe place for noobs but apparently not. I don't usually get chewed out since I'm decent compared to other noobs but I've been in games several times where an obviously new player is getting torn apart by teammates. In one instance the new player was absolutely silent the entire time he was being yelled at and on a whim I told him he had to press enter to chat. He then replied something like "thanks man, at least someone is nice around here". That's how new he was. Didn't even know how to chat and the rest of my team was telling me to report him. I can almost accept more of this behavior if it was in a player vs player match, but in a bot match? Seriously?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By scarace360

You know what I've been fighting this battle for years playing Dota and i gave the fuck up. Just report them and move on. Yelling at your screen or some guy over the internet just makes you look bad.

venessa2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By venessa2012

If I encounter these players, I will teach them if I find he is interesting, maybe he is just not familiar with it and if not, I will just ignore.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ReyGitano

My experience with DotA, and that of watching roommates and friends, is that this game only exists to fool people into thinking they're having fun when in reality they're angry 80% of the time, happy 5% of the time, and waiting the other 15% of the time to see what happens. I'm sure there are people who actually enjoy playing this game, but I've never met them in person.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ghostin

Here's a coping mechanism for dota 2 until you find a group of people to team up with regularly.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By living4theday258

it sounds like this games online community is comprised of Assholes and douche bags.................

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Maybe I should try out Dota, I have had it on Steam for like a month now and havent touched it.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By indiefinch

@scarace360 said:

You know what I've been fighting this battle for years playing Dota and i gave the fuck up. Just report them and move on. Yelling at your screen or some guy over the internet just makes you look bad.

This is the best advice. If you are a person who has a hard time ignoring the trolls, put them on mute and continue about your business. Once someone starts yelling at their teammates and calling everyone else trash, they are not going to go "Oh you know what, I was wrong. Nice game team you guys are awesome!"

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Rayeth

Mute is the best feature of this game. Just do it to any person who gets even close to raging or name calling. It improves the game vastly. Sad that such a great game is marred by its kinda shitty community.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShockD

You don't deal with dumb players, you gain resistance to them. After playing enough TF2 and CoD, I can say I've gained quite a lot of retards resistance and not even get mad at them anymore.

flashlightbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By flashlightbr

If I get a dumb player I try to tell them what they are doing wrong and how to fix it. If they aren't listening I just assume they will make the worst possible decision in every situation. Play very safe when you are around them and don't do anything counting on them to follow up. If they get ragey just ignore them. Usually ragers will close their yaps if no one responds so ignore them and encourage everyone else to ignore them.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LordOfPoms

Let the game end. Take a short break. Cool down and play again. Raging in all chat or at your teammates does nothing and the best thing to do might be to offer some advice about how they can be better. They may spurn it, but it's best not to lose your head over this game. After all, it's a game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@LordOfPoms said:

Let the game end. Take a short break. Cool down and play again. Raging in all chat or at your teammates does nothing and the best thing to do might be to offer some advice about how they can be better. They may spurn it, but it's best not to lose your head over this game. After all, it's a game.

Yeah and, admittedly, that's something I lose sight of way too much. "It's just a game." Sometimes I just get so into it and I take what people say to heart and it really bothers me even though it really shouldn't at all.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LordOfPoms

@BabyChooChoo said:

@LordOfPoms said:

Yeah and, admittedly, that's something I lose sight of way too much. "It's just a game." Sometimes I just get so into it and I take what people say to heart and it really bothers me even though it really shouldn't at all.

Well it's just that DOTA takes a serious time investment. So you don't want to waste 45 mins on a game that's just flat out BAD. I can understand the ire growing there, but I used to rage about people doing dumb stuff until I realized that it benefits no one and just ruins the game for everyone. It's just not worth it.

Pack it up. Move along, Re-queue and say GLHF.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By h0lgr

Get 4 friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.