Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

I need a Hero to pick. I have 0 exp, but I know what I want.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

I played a Demon Hunter in Diablo 3 and a Vanquisher in Torchlight. I want a hero that plays like them. They have ranged attacks, traps, buffs/debuffs and evasive skills.

Which heroes do I need to look at?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EXTomar

I think Earthshaker and Tidehunter are easy beginner heroes to pick up if you are completely new to Dota 2.

Do you know how to setup a bot/practice match? If nothing else set the bots to easy and just try one. :)

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Chibithor

Templar Assassin maybe? Traps aren't really a thing in Dota, but TA can place some and detonate them to slow enemies down. She has a buff that'll negate damage from a couple of attacks, and can stealth in place and an attack done from the stealth will lower armor. Though TA is ranged in name only at the start a passive skill will increase it and add a cleave sort of effect. http://www.dota2.com/hero/Templar_Assassin/

Note though that like most carries TA's not a beginner hero

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By thebunnyhunter

I just finished a game with the frost archerDrow Ranger and for my first game of Dota 2 she was an easy long range champ to grasp. She has a slow and a silence. You can buy an item that makes you invisible so thats good.

Side Note: Learning a new MOBA sucks

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Try Vengeful Spirit but Dota heroes don't work the way you are describing you don't have 4 classes that each have many different skills, you have 120 classes that each have few skills.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By golguin

I'm currently looking at Mirana (sp?) the Templar Assasin, and the Queen of Pain. They seem to have the skills I want spread all around them. What do you guys think?

I beat Torchlight with my Vanquisher and I got up to Inferno Ghom with my Demon Hunter as an evasive glass cannon. I'm all about being evasive and buff/debuffing.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

If you're brand new to the game, like I am, you don't want to pick those two. I've heard they're pretty complicated. This doesn't really play anything like those games, either.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I'm currently looking at Mirana (sp?) the Templar Assasin, and the Queen of Pain. They seem to have the skills I want spread all around them. What do you guys think?

I beat Torchlight with my Vanquisher and I got up to Inferno Ghom with my Demon Hunter as an evasive glass cannon. I'm all about being evasive and buff/debuffing.

They're not good beginner heroes, Mirana has a slow-ish skillshot and a global ultimate which means you need map awareness to know when to use it to help teammates that are on the other side of the map. TA might be just plain too hard to play, Queen's probably the easiest of the three but with her low health not ideal. Fits the evasive glass cannon type perfectly though. No harm in trying them out in bot matches, but I wouldn't expect a first timer to do well with any of them. With enough practice it's probably fine, but I don't know if having played D3 or Torchlight will help

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9 sweep  Moderator

Puck? He/she's quite a complicated hero but the only one I can think of that has the range of skills you are looking for.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lux.

POLIWOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With 0 exp I suggest focusing on grasping the game's base mechanics before trying to find some advanced hero to try to "main". Start with simpler heroes like Tidehunter or Lich to learn the basics. When you have a good feel for the mechanics you can start to branch out to more difficult heroes. Heroes like Windrunner, Mirana, and Templar Assassin might fit the kind of hero you describe in your first post, but this game doesn't play like Diablo 3.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played my first bot match with Queen of Pain and I think it went pretty well. I didn't realize you had stats to level up until I had maxed my abilities. I also didn't realize right away that items have abilities that activate.

I can imagine how deep shit can get when deciding to level up attributes or abilities and what to buy. I didn't even figure out how to level up weapons though I believe I did upgrade items since I was paying like 3000 for stuff.

I'll play again later.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For future reference: I think framing the question "What hero do I pick?" in the context of "In this other game I liked playing this" is a great idea. Telling us you liked playing a Vanquisher in Tourchlight helps a lot.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Those heroes are way too complex to start with if this really is your first time playing dota2. You want a hero that is easy to play so that you can learn the mechanics of the game instead of trying to handle both the mechanics of the hero and the mechanics of the game simultaneously. All those heroes require a really good early and mid game so that they can snowball and be a threat later on, they require great map awareness, timing, and precision. I highly suggest you start with a drow ranger (who has a slow and a silence) or a sniper (who has a mini stun and a delayed nuke) until you understand how the game works.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

@golguin said:

I played my first bot match with Queen of Pain and I think it went pretty well. I didn't realize you had stats to level up until I had maxed my abilities. I also didn't realize right away that items have abilities that activate.

I can imagine how deep shit can get when deciding to level up attributes or abilities and what to buy. I didn't even figure out how to level up weapons though I believe I did upgrade items since I was paying like 3000 for stuff.

I'll play again later.

In about 95% of situations, you don't want to level up stats until all of your skills are maxed.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By golguin

@extomar said:

For future reference: I think framing the question "What hero do I pick?" in the context of "In this other game I liked playing this" is a great idea. Telling us you liked playing a Vanquisher in Tourchlight helps a lot.

All of the abilities for the Queen of Pain has a direct analogue to either the Vanquisher or Demon Hunter so I feel pretty comfortable playing her.

She has that single projectile attack.

She has an area of effect attack that's centered on her body.

She has an escape move that covers a large area.

She has a wave/cone attack that attacks enemies in front of her.

I realize that the items have more moves, but I'm fine with her four basic abilities. One thing I wasn't clear on with the items is how equipment is set up. There were points during the match where I had two wands and two boots. There doesn't seem to be a body, legs, feet, arms, head gear set up. Can someone clarify how equipment works?

EDIT: One more thing. Why doesn't the camera follow you? Is there a way to make the camera follow you?

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Items in dota do not correspond with certain item slots or body slots like in diablo. For example you only ever want one set of boots, and it's placement in any of your 6 item slots makes no difference.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@extomar said:

All of the abilities for the Queen of Pain has a direct analogue to either the Vanquisher or Demon Hunter so I feel pretty comfortable playing her.

I realize that the items have more moves, but I'm fine with her four basic abilities. One thing I wasn't clear on with the items is how equipment is set up. There were points during the match where I had two wands and two boots. There doesn't seem to be a body, legs, feet, arms, head gear set up. Can someone clarify how equipment works?

There is no correlation between what the item actually is and where you put it; you just have six inventory slots to fill up with whatever. Also: boots don't stack, so you only want one, and you only ever want one Magic Stick/Wand as well.

it seems like when you say 0 exp, you definitely mean it, so I'm going to point you to this guide. It goes over the basics pretty well.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Everyone else is pointing you the right way so I'll just say...

@golguin said:

EDIT: One more thing. Why doesn't the camera follow you? Is there a way to make the camera follow you?

Tap and hold the character hotkey. It's F1 by default though I wouldn't recommend doing this for anything except for escapes where clicking the minimap might kill you. Also, learn the courier hotkeys.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

The camera doesn't follow you because you need to be able to see what's going in places on the map other than where your hero is. It's a common question from people that first start playing that come from another game. It's just something that you have to get used to, because you'll be absolutely terrible if you try to hotkey/console in some form of camera lock.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I played a bot match today with Anti-Mage and immediately learned that DOTA 2 is not LoL and I can't play it like such. The idea of relearning a bunch of junk to regain competence sort of intimidates me, but once I'm done with this semester maybe I'll try a bit more seriously. We'll see.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

You're welcome.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@extomar said:

There is no correlation between what the item actually is and where you put it; you just have six inventory slots to fill up with whatever. Also: boots don't stack, so you only want one, and you only ever want one Magic Stick/Wand as well.

it seems like when you say 0 exp, you definitely mean it, so I'm going to point you to this guide. It goes over the basics pretty well.

That guide explained the item categories pretty well. Now I know why I had two "boots" and why some items replaced other items. Is there a thing in game that just tells me "buy this now" or something? I just want an order of what items I need to buy since I don't know how all those items are used.

Also, the courier brings your items to you right? I kept walking to the base to buy new items and heal.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
    @golguin said:

@ajamafalous said:

@golguin said:

@extomar said:

That guide explained the item categories pretty well. Now I know why I had two "boots" and why some items replaced other items. Is there a thing in game that just tells me "buy this now" or something? I just want an order of what items I need to buy since I don't know how all those items are used.

Also, the courier brings your items to you right? I kept walking to the base to buy new items and heal.

There should be a set of recommended items for the hero you're currently playing on the left side of the shop when you open it (EDIT: It's the thing on the left in this picture from that guide I linked.) You will generally be okay if you buy items from the suggested items. There's also an integrated guide system that was added a month or two ago, but I haven't used it, so you'll have to ask someone else about how that works.

Yeah, the courier brings your items to you so that you don't have to go back to base to get them. When you select the courier it'll have a few skills like getting items from your stash and bringing any of your items that it's carrying to you. Just use the skills on the courier and it'll bring you your items. Make sure you set a courier hotkey that's easy to hit in the keybinds menu (I use ` next to 1, for example). Also, be careful not to get the courier killed! Enemies (including heroes and creeps) can attack your courier. If they kill it, their team receives a gold bounty, and your team has to wait 3 minutes for your courier to respawn, during which time you won't have a courier to bring your team items from the base, and any items that were on the courier when it died will be inaccessible until it respawns.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By TheHT

I played those same classes in Torchlight and Diablo and am having a blast with Mirana. Her jump is great for getting in for the kill or high-tailing it out of a dangerous situation, and her AoE spell is great later for pushing. Her global ult is nice for helping allies get out of trouble, and I've yet to use it to set an ambush, but that seems practical. I'm still getting used to aiming her stun though. I'm not terrible at it, but am not completely confident with my shots.

Give her a shot in a co-op match vs bots!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I played those same classes in Torchlight and Diablo and am having a blast with Mirana. Her jump is great for getting in for the kill or high-tailing it out of a dangerous situation, and her AoE spell is great later for pushing. Her global ult is nice for helping allies get out of trouble, and I've yet to use it to set an ambush, but that seems practical. I'm still getting used to aiming her stun though. I'm not terrible at it, but am not completely confident with my shots.

Do you want to co-op? Are you also new to the game?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Loading Video...

You're welcome.

I was hoping someone was going to post his.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: If you guys are setting up a co-op game against bots, I would happy to join.

Yeah, I am completely new to the game.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: If you guys are setting up a co-op game against bots, I would happy to join.

Yeah, I am completely new to the game.

Same here.

Steam ID is MariachiMacabre

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@theht said:

Do you want to co-op? Are you also new to the game?

Sure! And yeah, I only started playing this week as well. All I've been doing are co-op matches.

Steam ID: TheHT

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By golguin

I've added the names that I see. My steam ID is...

golguin

anyone can go ahead and add me.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I played a Demon Hunter in Diablo 3 and a Vanquisher in Torchlight. I want a hero that plays like them. They have ranged attacks, traps, buffs/debuffs and evasive skills.

Which heroes do I need to look at?

Sounds like you should be playing Caitlyn from LoL.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You might also like Clinkz, but I don't believe he is a suitable character for a beginner.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: and @golguin I have added both of you guys on my Steam Friends list. What times do you want to practice?

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrinswand said:
    Loading Video...

You're welcome.

I was hoping someone was going to post his.

Yeah, I was half-trolling when I posted it, but I've had it stuck in my head since yesterday. I guess the joke's on me.

But, holy shit, that song is so freaking epic. "Do! Do! Do! Dooo! AHHHHHHHHH!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!"

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also need a hero. I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the end of the night. He’s gotta be strong And he’s gotta be fast And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight.

Spookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spookie

@golguin said:

You don't want to do that. A skilled player has one eye on his hero and another on the map to look for locations to TP to support/counter gank or see if the opposition is trying something. You should approach this game more like it's an RTS than a ARPG. Watching only your hero will hinder your learning of the mechanics.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are plenty of threads about the first batch of heros you should start with. Generally it is best to play with heros that have strong abilities that can assist the team, but do not require items. Tidehunter, Lich, Earthshaker, Venomancer, Lion, Witch Dr, Shadow Shaman, Warlock...to name some. Check out this thread previously where people talked about a bunch of the heros to start with - http://www.giantbomb.com/dota-2/3030-32887/forums/the-i-am-new-to-dota-beginners-guide-570903/#54

It may seem like a ton of fun to play Templar Assassin, Queen of Pain..etc, but just hold off. They are heros that require a bit more understanding of the game because you will be going middle with them. You will need to fight for rune control, gank other lanes, and also maintain your farm. TA in particular can be extremely powerful if you get a quick Blink Dagger / Deso. But if you do not, she will taper off really quickly. If your heart is set on these heros, play a few bot games / watch some pro games with them in the hero pool. Mid is arguable the most important lane in the game, everyone pretty much relies on a solid mid player. If you are trying these heros for the first time a lot of people will become upset when things don't go well. A good parameter to see when you are ready to move up to harder heros is when you can go into a game and be able to get 100 last hits within 20 min. If you can't, then you need more practice before you begin tackling the farm reliant heros.

EgoPoisoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Clinkz (The skeleton archer) gives you the range, a ridiculous (duration and cooldown start at 25, but duration increases while cooldown stays the same...think about it) invisibility and move increase, and some stupid dps potential. I was initially vexed (like, yesterday) with how slowly C attacked, but I had it explained by a more experienced player that Agility heroes have shitty attack speeds due to their tendency to stack Agi as a stat (which bumps up your attack speed).

Also, your Q dramatically boosts your attack speed--I just run builds that don't push that early. If you want to shoot the people in the faces while dipping out from their returned assault, C-linkz is a guy.

Just be aware that when you're invisible you're not invulnerable. Juke and dodge shit when you inevitably disappear and try to run away.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Wuddel

Hijacking the thread. I played a bit of LoL, where I liked Renektor. Fast, tanky a killer mid game. I like to harass the shit out of the people in my name, also I love me some lifestealing. What hero is good for me.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel: I say bristleback and Axe might be to your liking, although they are different they share some of the things you mentioned.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel said:

Hijacking the thread. I played a bit of LoL, where I liked Renektor. Fast, tanky a killer mid game. I like to harass the shit out of the people in my name, also I love me some lifestealing. What hero is good for me.

There aren't really any heroes in Dota that are both innately tanky and are going to blow people up. You get tanky through items and strength gain, and most strength heroes are melee so they don't really harass well in the lane for the most part. Bristleback was mentioned, but he's a snowball hero, so he's either going to feed hard if he doesn't get farm or he's going to trash everybody and win a bunch of 1v3s if he does. His kills come from people underestimating him and overextending, though, not from him deciding "I'm going to kill this guy now" and it happening.

Maybe try Huskar?

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@wuddel said:

While there isn't really any direct analogue to this in Dota (tanky-ness is mostly through items and levels, and lifesteal can be gotten on anyone through items as well). Lifestealer (sometimes called Naix) has an innate lifesteal, a powerful immunity and a great slow for catching up.

But I really advise to not stick with one hero for very long once you have sort of figured out the genre. Since you mention you played LoL already, I think you're perfectly capable of trying out all sorts of heroes and just going for it.

Experiencing all the different heroes and learning all the roles makes you a better overall player. It gives you awareness on the map, and helps you figure out what your team needs to be doing to win the game at any point in time. Dota is a crazy, complicated game. The more you play and the more different roles you experience the better you will be.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Crysack

@wuddel said:

My advice is to play a new hero every game. DotA is not a game where you can pick a single hero and stick with it - except, perhaps, if that hero is Invoker (because, let's be honest, Invoker can do basically anything). Counter-picking and picking to fit in with your team's line-up is 80% of the game and will account for a large portion of your wins and losses.

All of that being said, Centaur might be a good place to start if you like tanky mid-game heroes. He's a solid initiator, his ultimate has good team-fight utility and his abilities hit like a truck early on. Just don't play him like a carry, buy a blink dagger and stomp fools instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.