Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Is Valve STEALING character designs for Dota 2?

• 91 results
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By ajamafalous

@jakob187 said:

Have I ever stated how much I hate the art direction on DOTA 2 and Heroes of Newerth? I still feel like League of Legends is about 100 times more original.

Are you being serious or was that an April Fools post?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jakob187 said:

Have I ever stated how much I hate the art direction on DOTA 2 and Heroes of Newerth? I still feel like League of Legends is about 100 times more original.

Are you being serious or was that an April Fools post?

What are opinions?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Look at what you have started

LOOK AT YOUR SHAME!!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I'll bring the Party Cannon, let's burn those motherfuckers down, yeah!

No Caption Provided

What the fuck is happening in this picture.

Does MLP have zombies now.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#55  Edited By MildMolasses

All I'm getting from this is that there should be a Skylanders moba, to which I say "yes, please!"

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By EuanDewar

LordXavierBritish thread

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I'm getting from this is that there should be a Skylanders moba, to which I say "yes, please!"

I would actually pay money for this.

This is actually a great idea.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordxavierbritish said:

@mildmolasses said:

Please don't, they would make it the worst F2P, Skylanders-style, where you have to buy a hero's figurine and put it on the portal in order to play as it

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordxavierbritish said:

@mildmolasses said:

Please don't, they would make it the worst F2P, Skylanders-style, where you have to buy a hero's figurine and put it on the portal in order to play as it

That's pretty much how League of Legends works, you just don't get a cool figure when you pay $10 for a new character.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ajamafalous

@lordxavierbritish said:

@ajamafalous said:

@lordxavierbritish said:

@mildmolasses said:

That's pretty much how League of Legends works, you just don't get a cool figure when you pay $10 for a new character.

I know; that's one of my many issues with the game.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

And I am sure if you dug deep enough you could find stuff that kinda looks like Skylanders.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MildMolasses

@lordxavierbritish said:

@mildmolasses said:

That's exactly why I want it. What the fuck else am I supposed to do with my Stealth Elf and Gill Grunt figures?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

@lordxavierbritish said:

@mildmolasses said:

That not even close to how League of Legends works?

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azteck: I've probably dumped more than one hundred dollars into League.

That is exactly how League works.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Canteu

@lordxavierbritish: Well that's your fault for buying champions with money now isn't it?

And if you mean skins, then that's obviously not how it works.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@lordxavierbritish: Well that's your fault for buying champions with money now isn't it?

Grinding IP for 6300 champions is a completely unreasonable task for any normal person to accomplish with any regularity.

It would be different if there weren't already huge IP sinks in Runes and Rune Pages, but you absolutely need those to play at any competent level past 20. You also need a decent stable of champions to play at any competent level past 20 unless you want to hope and pray the one jungler or support you play doesn't get picked or banned during draft. I guess you could play Blind Pick for the rest of your life, but that shit shouldn't even be considered a serious game mode.

You can trumpet the "NO REALLY IT'S FREE GUYS" horn all you want, but I played a shit load of League and I know how it fucking works. Hell they handed me 20 free heroes when the Mac beta went down the shitter and even that isn't enough if you want to play the game seriously at all.

Whether it's for Rune Pages or Champions, you have to pay at some point if you want to win games. I guess if you had no job, didn't go to school or had no life whatsoever it might be doable, but any normal person can't play League of Legends on IP alone.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Canteu

@lordxavierbritish: Hey, I've played a shit ton of league too and I know how it works. I've also put in about £60-80.

Don't buy new champions, problem solved. I still have 2 rune pages and I'm fine with that. I have all the champions I need and I've only bought two of them, just for the release skin package.

You can quite easily have a stable of non 6300 IP champs. Some of them are pretty good you know? You can't ban all of the supports, just Thresh or Taric. Take your pick. :)

I only play like 8 games or less on the weekend, hardly into the realm of hardcore non stop play, don't ya think? You can easily play it without dropping a single penny, just because you didn't doesn't mean you can't.

edit: I really need to stop typing in lines.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

Grinding IP for 6300 champions is a completely unreasonable task for any normal person to accomplish with any regularity.

It would be different if there weren't already huge IP sinks in Runes and Rune Pages, but you absolutely need those to play at any competent level past 20. You also need a decent stable of champions to play at any competent level past 20 unless you want to hope and pray the one jungler or support you play doesn't get picked or banned during draft. I guess you could play Blind Pick for the rest of your life, but that shit shouldn't even be considered a serious game mode.

You can trumpet the "NO REALLY IT'S FREE GUYS" horn all you want, but I played a shit load of League and I know how it fucking works. Hell they handed me 20 free heroes when the Mac beta went down the shitter and even that isn't enough if you want to play the game seriously at all.

Whether it's for Rune Pages or Champions, you have to pay at some point if you want to win games. I guess if you had no job, didn't go to school or had no life whatsoever it might be doable, but any normal person can't play League of Legends on IP alone.

But it's still your choice, and you chose to spend money on it. I've played a shit load of League myself, and I'm telling you that acting as if you were forced to spend hundreds on it is ridiculous. It's entirely feasible to play the game on IP only, it'll just take more time and more matches to get all the champions, but that is entirely up to you how you get the champs.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: @azteck: If you don't have at least one rune page for every role, you are terrible at League of Legends.

If you don't have at least 3 champions for each role, you are terrible at League of Legends.

If you don't at least have gpm, attack speed, CDR, MR, armor, AP, AD, and penetration runes you are terrible at League of Legends.

I'm sorry to inform you of this, but if you don't pay real money you are terrible at League of Legends. That is the business model Riot designed because it's a business. IP grinding isn't a feasible option for anyone who can't devote their entire life to playing LoL, but being able to say your game is "Free to Play!*" looks really fucking good to an uneducated audience.

I haven't even gotten into metagame shit like having the best champs, which change constantly because Riot is terrible at balancing their game, or being able to actually play all the fucking champions so you can know their strengths and weaknesses and how to lane against them effectively. The fact of the matter is, the less you have the worse you are. The people that spend more are going to be better than you because they have access to more options and more information. They will always counter your pick, they will always have a rune page tailor made for their champion and role, and they will always know your champion better than you because they've played against that lane on every champion in the game.

If you want to actually play League of Legends you gotta pay. I'm sorry to shatter that reality for you.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@llamaegg said:

@slaegar said:

@llamaegg said:

@slaegar said:

Valve can give back their Dota characters after Blizzard gives Games Workshop back almost all of Warcraft and Starcraft.

Blizzard can give Games Workshop back Starcraft once Games Workshop returns Zerg, I whoops I mean tyranid.

"Tyranids were first mentioned under the heading Tyranids and the Hive Fleets in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader"

"blahblahblah

Yes, they existed before Starcraft, but the Warhammer model changed after Starcraft came out, making them look closer to what Starcraft had to offer.

Screw all of ya'll. I'm gonna watch me some Starship Troopers.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Canteu

@lordxavierbritish: I think you only solo queue. Maybe if you didn't you'd realise most of these things don't apply.

Why do I need rune pages, runes and champions for 4 out of the 5 roles I don't play, ever, for any reason? Please explain this to me, as I cannot see the reasoning behind it. I do not need to play another role, as they are taken by the people I play with.

You should solo queue less. It will help your crazy person issues I think.

And the metagame? You think only new champions are viable? Ok, you seem to think you know more than you know.

"The fact of the matter is, the less you have the worse you are. The people that spend more are going to be better than you because they have access to more options and more information"

This is flat out wrong. If you change the word "spend" to "play" then it would be accurate. My friend makes a new account, spends £100, and is instantly diamond? Sure. Information comes from experience, it has nothing to do with how much you spend.

"If you want to actually play League of Legends you gotta pay." From what you're saying this statement should read "If you want to be pro at league of legends..." because I'm pretty sure I played for a long time without paying anything, and even when I did it was for skins.

If you're playing at the level you seem to think everyone should be at, you will have enough IP for the shit you need. But then again, you don't need as much as you seem to think you do to remain competitive.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

You should solo queue less. It will help your crazy person issues I think.

No, I just switched to Dota because all the shit is free.

And if you are in a five stack that is different, you aren't a majority of players. A majority of players solo and duo queue.

And there has been a huge power creep in new champions for awhile. I'm sorry you didn't know.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Canteu

@lordxavierbritish: I'm not sure why you seem to think I'm wrong, just because other things are true? Old champions are still viable, even if new champions are strong.

Dota isn't fun at all, so have fun over there. But it seems you don't know what fun is, so keep on winning and trying hard, I guess.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

Dota isn't fun at all, so have fun over there. But it seems you don't know what fun is, so keep on winning and trying hard, I guess.

Oops; someone's bad!

I'm genuinely (i.e. not going to be like LOL I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU SCRUB because of it) curious about your history with DotA and League. Which did you play first/When did you start playing/How much of each have you played?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Canteu

@ajamafalous: I'd like to point something out. Know how some people like Call of Duty and some people like Halo?

It's like that.

Why can't I like one game, and not really give two shits about another without it being misconstrued as ignorance or blind hatred?

Dota is fine, it's just not a game I like to play. Nor do I care that people like it; good for them! A lot of Dota players have some kind of elitist sentiment when it comes to other Mobas. It's exactly the same as any other video game, and subject to subjective views.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lordxavierbritish: Pretty close, it is a Changeling, they feed on love. They can "infect" other ponies and (maybe) turn others into them by trapping them in a chrysalis (much like Kerrigan from Starcraft actually).

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordxavierbritish: That is just incorrect. A bigger champion pools means jack shit to your capabilities. Most pros have a pool of ~6 champs that they use and know inside-out. Hell, one of the highest ranking players right now is a guy who pretty much only plays Riven. I own about around 60 of the champs in the game, runes for all types of situations including AD, Armor Pen, Magic Pen, Mana/5, HP/5, CDR, Flat HP, Stacking HP, Movement Speed, critchance, etc. Hell I even own some Gold/10 runes for kicks. I've played a lot of this game but never felt like I had to pay for it. That is entirely in your hands, and you cannot blame Riot for your inability to just wait. I play maybe 10 games a week and I never feel like I'm losing out by not owning every single champ, and I've never heard anyone suggest that they do either.

You seem to completely forget that Riot isn't Valve. Valve had billions backing them, as well as an already existing userbase that just transitioned from WC3. Riot was a statup when they made League, they went for a free to play model which means they needed money sinks. If they only let you buy champs with real money I'd be agreeing with you, but that simply isn't the case. As for your power-creep suggestions, that must be why champs like Kassadin and Ryze are banned out basically every tournament, right? Oh wait, they were in the closed beta before you could even buy additional champs.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shit, this thread got serious.

(PS: They should totally make a Skylanders MoBA)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By colourful_hippie

lol

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By EXTomar

@lordxavierbritish said:

@village_guy said:

I'll bring the Party Cannon, let's burn those motherfuckers down, yeah!

No Caption Provided

What the fuck is happening in this picture.

Does MLP have zombies now.

Those sets of episodes is the quintessential example of the "...and this is a girls show?" because yeah they are nightmarish, eldritch monsters. That and they have cannons.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MildMolasses

@nekusakuraba said:

Shit, this thread got serious.

(PS: They should totally make a Skylanders MoBA)

I was hoping to return to this thread to find a groundswell of support over this. Am sad to see what actually happened.

Because this is a deadly serious issue, I've decided to take the most deadliest of serious actions by making an online petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/activision-make-a-skylanders-moba

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azteck: If you can find me a pro player that hasn't played every champion I'd agree with you. Ever since I started playing Dota I realized how important it is just to get a feel of how each hero works: their effective range of threat, what they bring to a lane and how they transition throughout all the stages of a game. Words and numbers can only express so much, you can't truly say you know how to play against a hero until you've played them yourself.

And whether or not you actually think it's possible for a completely new player to come into League now and actually grind their way up to having a stable roster of champions, you can't deny that whether you pay money or grind for hours on end the more shit you have more advantage you have. For a game claiming to be competitive this is absolutely fucking retarded. That's like setting up a chess board and not giving one of the players knights.

I've tried doing the one champion thing, and you want to know something? It doesn't work. At this point Riot has pretty much completely catalyzed the core five roles design, and there are very very few champions that can actually play more than one or two roles effectively. League has very few Rubicks and Jakiros, characters with abilities that can always contribute to a team no matter what position you are playing. This isn't helped by a community that has convinced themselves that they are unquestionable masters of the game and will throw a fit every time you try to play a character out of their designated role.

Also, let's get fucking real hero. Whether or not Riot had a choice in setting up this model when they started out is completely irrelevant because they are swimming in money. They could have done something to change their business model a long time ago, they didn't.

I'm so glad I go so many heroes right off the bat from buying one of the boxed collector's editions and from the Mac beta closing because if I didn't I don't think I would have stuck with the game as long as I did. There are so many champions that are absolutely garbage compared to their counterparts and there is no way to know if a champion is actually worth a shit or not until you've actually played it. Waiting for one specific champion to finally hit the fucking free roster can be a year long endeavor, and finally saving up to buy it after weeks of effort only to find out they're completely outclassed in their role not matter how you build or how you play is fucking heartbreaking.

You can defend this shit all you want, but that doesn't change the fact it's still shit. I swear to god you guys have Stockholms or something.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized I missed a perfect chance to post this back on Monday. Enjoy this belated video and then lets see who is stealing which stealings!

Loading Video...

BigSparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By BigSparky

Hmmm...now the pony thing....that's just....HAHAHA!

mangamaster247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I just joined this site only to say this, and with no disrespect to the author of the thread, but what your saying is stupid.

I saw the pictures you posted as examples, and if you cant make a zeus with a beard than it's just not zeus, the only one they stole from at that matter is the greek mythology.

Now this can be said with just about all the examples. I do not believe that blizzard are the only one who are allowed to make treeants, sea monsters, goblins with dynamite and so on. All of the designs presented are so different from each other, that the only thing you might be able to discuss is the fact that they have ideas similar to what others have created, and some with the same name. but the designs are completely original for what I can see.

also with the broodmother, you compared a spider with a gryffin, and the witch doctor in dota 2 doesn't even seem to be a troll nescesarilly (haven't actually played the game, so I can't be sure of this).

In the end, I can only assume that your a troll, trying to derp out a message, cause I can't find any hold in what your saying.

If you truly mean everything you've said, then I apologise, but this is just how I see it.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Whoah wait a second, are those techies pictures really from Dota 2? Does this mean techies is coming soon? Ooooohhhhmmmmaaaaaann...

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

The fuck OP, that's like saying Skyrim stole designs from Dungeons and Dragons because they both feature dragons and skeleton warriors. Generic fantasy archetype designs never stray far from their core ideas. A rock monster will be a rock monster, an undead mage will be an undead mage and so on. This is hardly a matter of plagiarism, just Valves artists being a bit lazy is all.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Let's masticate this obvious joke thread some more.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god, people still falling for this April Fools' joke.

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

Generic anime designs are original?

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By squiDc00kiE

Im not really sure what to make of this. You do realize the whole point of Dota 2 was to copy DotA. Even playdota has them as almost equals. Patches are shared between the two. A patch will come out for DotA and within a week or two its live in Dota 2 with the same fixes. Copying? Thats the point.

lamzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By lamzor

"[Blizzard co-founder] Allen Adham hoped to obtain a license to the Warhammer universe to try to increase sales by brand recognition", Wyatt says. "Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.