Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Shanghai Major Discussion

• 52 results
    Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

The Shanghai Major just kicked off today! It is one of four DOTA2 championships that occur throughout the year. The International is considered THE championship but the other three are still major events with very large prize pools.

Is anybody watching or following the tournament closely? I've never really followed any of the tournaments, just caught a game here or there. But I've recently fallen into the DOTA 2 hole hard and am really excited for this one.

Today, Secret matched up against CDEC and EHome against MVP. I watched the best of three between Secret and CDEC and didn't catch any of the EHome/MVP matches. The first two games between CDEC and Secret were both pretty one sided with rach team taking one. The third though, damn was that great! CDEC were rolling and ahead in towers and kills, even taking down a T3 before Secret could get any of their T1s, if I recall correctly. Nothing was going right for Secret and the game looked all but finished. But Secret managed to start making some high risk maneuvers that payed off dividends. They kept smoking and roaming, and were finally coordinating their ultimates/stuns very well. Their lineup was just too much for CDEC to handle once they got their crap together.

It was probably the best DOTA2 match I've watched. I was so lit with hype watching it with my friend on twitch. I really wanted Secret to win as the underdog. I also heard MVP won the best of 3 against EHome which was also a big upset. And that there was also a crazy comeback in one of those.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Are there any good commentators? Part of my aversion from most esports is that commentating talent appears to be scarce.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@relkin: The English commentating is fine when it's Valve sponsored as most commentators will at least put on some pretense of professionalism. The general consensus around my workplace, where fair number of dudes play DotA, is that the Chinese commentating is shit and I tend to agree. Not sure about the Russian guys, but the Korean commentators are pretty fucking great if you like hype and lots of yelling.

Working and living in Shanghai and all, but won't have any time to actually attend. Just hoping to catch some good games when I get some time off.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin: The English commentating was well done day 1. They kept it professional but not stale. Very natural commentating you'd expect from people who know the game very well. It's amazing to listen to them analyzing the drafting stage. During the games, they'll explain strategies and tactics which is great for all levels of viewers.

The guys who talk about the event between matches were quite something. I expected that part of the production to be more professional overall but the people themselves were akin to an unprofessional friday show trying to feign professionalism. It was more awkward than anything.

Matches themselves though are a blast.

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I feel sorry for anyone who is coming to the Shanghai major as their first exposure to what a large-scale Dota 2 tournament looks like. What a mess. The production quality has been absolutely abysmal and there is a ton of drama around James (the host) apparently getting fired in the middle of Day 2. The International and the Frankfurt Major are in a completely different league in terms of professionalism and production quality, it's really a shame to see this thing go up in flames like it has.

Hopefully Valve can salvage it -- the actual games have at least been fairly entertaining so far, considering it is group stages. Some great upsets and fun team-play heroes like Enigma/Tide getting picked.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Haven't been watching due to time zones but have been keeping up on twitter. Today's shit show has made me glad I haven't wasted my time with it. Firing the host half way through the tournament is a new low.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@fenster: Yeah, the production between games has been very... disappointing for such a major eSport event. I know it's not the main event but still. I just heard about James being fired. I'm furiously googling right now looking for details because I would love to know what in the world happened. Also, this was just posted on reddit by Gabe Newell, supposedly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/47sc46/update_from_the_shanghai_major/

What in the actual hell is going on lol

Didn't get to watch yesterdays games, besides half a match between VG and FNatic. I'm super excited about being off today and getting to watch the all USA team Archon that earned their way into the tournament through regional qualifiers. They're definitely underdogs by every meaning of the word in their group, with OG and Newbee in their groups, but I've got my fingers crossed and hype meter at the ready!

Just found out MVP beat EHome 2-0! EHome were the winners of the last international tournament (MarsTV Dota 2 League Winter 2015) and were 2nd in the last major, and MVP were one of the teams that made it into the tournament through regional qualifiers. They were considered the favorites to win the whole Shanghai Major. Nobody thought MVP had a change and then they not only go and do that, but take out team Secret to become 4-0 in the tournament, after team Secret beat another highly regarded team in CDEC. This is a crazy tournament for sure.

Crispy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MVP PHOENIX RISES

Time and time again, they shatter expectations and do the impossible.

icanswim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Feel's like pretty poor form to go to reddit to throw people under the bus, when you could have put out an official statement through official channels. Folks who aren't actively searching the internet for the details about why the panel isn't there tonight will be thoroughly confused. It's a bad look, but in line with Valve's modus operandi when it comes to communication about casters/production.

Reminds me a bit a of the fallout over EG dropping AUI2000 after TI5, and the rampant speculation due to the delayed official announcement.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: EHOME hasn't won an International. I think this is the last time I fall for the Chinese DOTA hype.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: I'm sorry, I misread this line in an article as I was speed reading. Will edit the original comment. I'm sure you could see where the confusion could be made by speed reading.

"They first went up against EHOME, a team that took first in the last international Dota 2 tournament, the MarsTV Dota 2 League Winter 2015"

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

Wow this James drama is a frigin nightmare.

I'll be honest and say that when I watched TI for the first time (TI3) James was a huge part of what made it fun (and Bruno). TI5 not having him and the panel wearing dry suits with sticks up their asses, trying to lul people to sleep made that whole thing unwatchable. It was a pathetic attempt at being more "professional" that is exactly the shit that makes me not give a fuck about watching real sports. All this push towards trying to professionalize the production in terms of casters, hosts and their personalities and output (instead of just tech and back end logistics) is a huge turnoff. And it appears that most fans share this opinion.

Now thankfully I am in a privileged position where I can watch Russian streams, which by virtue of being in a different language, while are technically under the same rules, are in reality much less policed or scrutinized. And both the casters and the analyst panel still inject color, fun and a bite to the proceedings. Hell we lucked out and the awful ~1 hour pause during one of the matches due to total joke of a production fell to the exact pair of the most hilarious casters and it was a hell of a show, the stream gained viewers. If not for this alternative I would have stopped watching major Dota2 tournaments during TI5 and never looked back.

It's funny that in an age where personality is exactly what is driving the entertainment industry forward, especially so on "the internet" of youtube and twitch, Valve is appearing to chase a horse that is riding full speed into the prehistoric age of dry TV. Instead of moving forward with the times. When even TV itself is beginning to realize that's not the way to go anymore for all of it's programming. Goddamn.

Finally I don't know what makes people so 100% certain and unquestioning that it was indeed a post from Gabe. Because it sure as fuck does not read like something a head of a corporation would ever say ever, never mind an apparently more down to earth and an overall nicer and laissez-faire guy like Gabe. If we for the sake of argument assume that that really is an official account, then what was posted was so insanely unprofessional, inflammatory and downright petulant it boggles the mind. Even if Valve has overbearing and understandable reasons for dismissing the dude (which they have every right to go ahead and do, this is their show), communicating like this about it is not the way to go. Again assuming the legitimacy of the account and post.

Shit, I don't even play dota2.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Seems pretty in line with everything I've seen and heard about him.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This thing is such a clusterfuck

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

Finally I don't know what makes people so 100% certain and unquestioning that it was indeed a post from Gabe.

...................because it was posted from his reddit account?

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this James drama is a frigin nightmare.

I'll be honest and say that when I watched TI for the first time (TI3) James was a huge part of what made it fun (and Bruno). TI5 not having him and the panel wearing dry suits with sticks up their asses, trying to lul people to sleep made that whole thing unwatchable. It was a pathetic attempt at being more "professional" that is exactly the shit that makes me not give a fuck about watching real sports. All this push towards trying to professionalize the production in terms of casters, hosts and their personalities and output (instead of just tech and back end logistics) is a huge turnoff. And it appears that most fans share this opinion.

Now thankfully I am in a privileged position where I can watch Russian streams, which by virtue of being in a different language, while are technically under the same rules, are in reality much less policed or scrutinized. And both the casters and the analyst panel still inject color, fun and a bite to the proceedings. Hell we lucked out and the awful ~1 hour pause due to total joke of a production fell to the exact pair of the most hilarious casters and it was a hell of a show, the stream gained viewers. If not for this alternative I would have stopped watching major Dota2 tournaments during TI5 and never looked back.

It's funny that in an age where personality is exactly what is driving the entertainment industry forward, especially so on "the internet" of youtube and twitch, Valve is appearing to chase a horse that is riding full speed into the prehistoric age of dry TV. Instead of moving forward with the times. When even TV itself is beginning to realize that's not the way to go anymore for all of it's programming. Goddamn.

Finally I don't know what makes people so 100% certain and unquestioning that it was indeed a post from Gabe. Because it sure as fuck does not read like something a head of a corporation would ever say ever, never mind an apparently more down to earth and an overall nicer and laissez-faire guy like Gabe. If we for the sake of argument assume that that really is an official account, then what was posted was so insanely unprofessional, inflammatory and downright petulant it boggles the mind. Even if Valve has overbearing and understandable reasons for dismissing the dude (which they have every right to go ahead and do, this is their show), communicating like this about it is not the way to go. Again assuming the legitimacy of the account and post.

Shit, I don't even play dota2.

That post is from Gabe's verified Reddit AMA account. I'm guessing James really fucked up if Gabe came out and said straight up he is an ass. If he has posted something about how there was a difference of opinions or blah blah blah, you could take to mean it was something less egregious. But if you have the Owner of fucking Valve calling you an ass in a post explaining the reason he fired you, you dun fucked up son.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Valve firing James feels like NBC firing Bob Costas.

I don't know what he did precisely, but this just feels really wrong.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Well they did leave him out of the last TI so there's been previous issues with him. He was probably on a short leash in Gabe's mind.

Game 2 of OG vs LGD was something! When you think it's going to be a really short game and LGD stretches it out well over 70 minutes. Everybody was afraid to make a move. OG was sitting at LGDs base for a good two minutes just staring LGD down face to face. Such a passive game towards the end. Exciting to watch though because you know that any action within the next few minutes can decide the match. This makes game 3 suspenseful! OG is probably kicking themselves over that loss. They haaaaaad it... but alas.....

Loading Video...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti said:

Finally I don't know what makes people so 100% certain and unquestioning that it was indeed a post from Gabe.

...................because it was posted from his reddit account?

I am not familiar with it's history. What's stopping another person from having made this account? Did Gabe come out in person at some point and confirm that that is his account?

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@tennmuerti: Yes, accounts get verified by Reddit staff, just like twitter.

That game 3 of OG vs LGD was a perfect showcase of what slark can do when he's allowed to farm. Loved watching that. Glad OG is moving on.

EG and Complexity facing off tomorrow in a USA civil war. Anything is possible in this tournament at this point.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Yes, accounts get verified by Reddit staff, just like twitter.

No one ever made any fake twitter accounts.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: That was also somehow verified? No, they haven't. Because then they wouldn't be verified.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti

@flashflood_29: Took me 5 seconds to google http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/19/5730542/morrissey-impersonated-on-twitter

Look I am not dismissing that it's a real account, nor am i arguing just to be an obstinate ass. I was genuinely interested in the fact of what makes it legitimate. As someone who has been on both ends of the sword of various verification systems around the world, governmental, private, RL, internet based or otherwise, presenting oneself as someone else is all too commonplace and ID systems get circumvented all the time.

And sorry for going somewhat off topic. It's just so many people just chimed in to tell me, "well it's legit couse it's legit see" which understandably didn't explain much. If as it seems everyone is telling me that this is an official account, I'll just bite the bullet and go with the flow, as at this point i am actually more on board with trusting it and the people who replied to me, who are likely more in the know about this accounts previous history and Reddits procedures. So we can bury this line of conversation. :)

I'm all for continuing to just enjoy watching some Dota.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MalibuProfen

Having read James' statement and plenty of reactions to it the whole ordeal just seems disappointing and sad, while before it was published the situation was mostly just weird and worthy of several DansGames. It's always "fun" to lose some respect for key figures/companies of the gaming industry - to remain at least somewhat ambiguous - especially if the stories about the TI2 and the TI4 (signature) payments are true; even if they were ultimately changed. Being out of touch with (some of) your current audience is also a thing from seeing some of the current feedback. Then again that doesn't seem to be anything new considering the situation last spring as a recentish example.

However, it's their product, and they surely want to maximize their viewers and potential future players, aka revenue streams, as a money making company in a way that is true to their vision - if they have something clear in mind, that is, considering they chose to hire James in the first place. I certainly don't condemn them for wanting to tidy up potential (un)funnies to stay in-bounds for the majority of the (untapped) audience. Clean, safe and professional broadcasting can be, and is, at least for me, equally watchable as the more risk taking, perhaps even juvenile and unprofessional alternative (even I was a bit taken aback with some of the stuff James said to start the first day since the last two major Dota events were more tame, even if there still was banter), but the way this situation was handled by the company in question appears - from the outside looking in - equally, if not more so, unprofessional, if the way the communication is (not) and has (not) been handled is true.

The games themselves have been mostly exciting (as far as I've been able to watch them due to time differences) so it's unfortunate that this cloud of whatever-the-hell-this-is will likely hang over the rest of the tournament. The rest of the team of casters, hosts and interviewers/interpreters are trying to do their best given the situation now that the production team (of the English streams) has been sacked as well. Hopefully at least something good will come out of this ordeal somewhere down the line - since I'm not seeing real short-term benefits from this mess for any of the parties involved (outside of games websites gaining some clicks) - and that the main event will be a success with great games of Dota.

Edit. OK, after reading through another thread about Valve on their (ab)use of voluntary translators I'm officially pissed at the company. Though also as a (soon to be professional) translator myself I'm nearly equally frustrated with the crowdsource people who willingly have been working for free for a multimillion dollar corporation, probably with the kindness of their hearts and passion for helping others, but ultimately fucking up people that are attempting to scrape by doing translation work for a livelihood. I realize that this is somewhat off topic, but I just needed place to vent a bit on this and this seemed like a continuation of some of the negative themes present in the above three paragraphs considering Valve - unambiguously.

Here's the link to the thread: https://np.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/44yl24/how_a_whole_language_of_the_steam_translation

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: The point I'm trying to make is that the account in question was not "created," by an impersonator. The account in question has been verified and used confirmed by Gabe Newell himself in the past. It is not a new account. Now whether the account has been hacked is another matter that I wish were the case, because this is not the public behavior from someone of high regard.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: The point I'm trying to make is that the account in question was not "created," by an impersonator. The account in question has been verified and used confirmed by Gabe Newell himself in the past. It is not a new account. Now whether the account has been hacked is another matter that I wish were the case, because this is not the public behavior from someone of high regard.

If the account had been hacked and was posting stuff like that (which at this point is widely circulated), I'm pretty sure Valve or Gabe would have come out and said it was hacked and that wasn't an official statement. The fact that there hasn't been any such comment from them should be proof enough that it was actually him and his intended message.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

I had a feeling this might happen after Day 1, but holy Hell, was not expecting Gabe to fucking go on reddit and shitpost about it. It's one thing to fire a guy if you think he's trouble, but calling him out on social media like that in front of a community that absolutely adores him? Not gonna make excuses for Yames, as much as I enjoy his banter, but Gabe really went overboard with this. KeyTV is one thing; they had it coming since Nanyang or some might say even way before that considering their origins, but canning your host and calling the dude an ass after he helped salvage that disaster of show on opening day? C'mon, Gabe...

I realize I just used a lot of buts there... but, man...

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Onemanarmyy

To add to the drama, here is a post from 'Bonnie' mentioned in 2gd's google doc. She came in as a translator, and had to become the director of the english stream, because the actual director didn't speak english and was causing delays. This is supposed to be one of the 4 biggest tournaments of the year for Dota2, and the english stream is run by a translator. Yikes.

KeyTV was fired this morning (day 3). There was a huge scene where the director shouted and tore up papers and tried to grab stuff. He also insisted that I was hired by him and that I should leave with him immediately. With his "dying breath" he was still arguing that the broadcast being screwed wasn't his fault...

I think it's important that we remind ourselves how bad Valve handled this situation, and that it goes way beyond the lack of communication regarding James. This is unacceptable.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's go to the replay:

Loading Video...

I know that it's his style, but I think James placed himself on thin ice right from the start. His sense of humour is perfect for Twitch chat, but that's clearly not what Valve is aiming for out of its DOTA2 PR & hasn't been for a while.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@goreyfantod: He's a funny guy who's unhinged humor would be great off the job but he needs to know how to properly work that humor into the position he's given. It's not even about being a stale synthetic panel but rather just not being outlandish and making "disabled wheelchair porn," jokes about cumming, or saying you're going to discuss "the cunts," in the tournament (both within the first 5 minutes). You're on a panel representing valve with thousands upon thousands of viewers.

He took the "just be yourself," direction they gave him too literally and keeps using it as his excuse.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean i agree the stuffy bullshit needs to be gone, but its still a job, like have fun but, realize your representing one of the biggest tournaments in the world. Maybe its just me as well, but if your gonna shit talk people and use the word cunt, it better at least be really funny, and i dont think anything he said was funny. like at all.

I havent seen any other stuff he did, but his analysis is garbage, like he is totally being carried by blitz and OD. Maybe its all just frustration from the bad production which was indeed shit.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Onemanarmyy
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#33 FinalDasa  Moderator

There's a difference between light-hearted or relaxed and crass or dirty. Seeing the highlights from his hosting, and asking around a bit, James really comes across as unprofessional when he's on camera. The reddit and Twitch communities think his brand of hosting is more of what they want instead of the more professional, ESPN-like, host. But for esports, and video games as a larger medium that esports help promote, to grow and become respected having a host make porn jokes, alienate players and teams, and act this way cannot be allowed.

That doesn't mean this is all Harding's fault. Valve should have known who they were hiring and calling someone, anyone, an ass in public is absolutely unacceptable. Yes even from Gabe Newell.

icanswim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: I would be curious to see what direction Valve actually gives the panelists and casters in terms of what they want to see and what they aren't allowed to do. Since most of the style issues should have been apparent based on his previous work, seems like the whole mess could have been avoided if they had outlined expectations up front. Either James would have declined the invite if he didn't agree or he would have curbed some of the riskier jokes.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@icanswim said:

@finaldasa: I would be curious to see what direction Valve actually gives the panelists and casters in terms of what they want to see and what they aren't allowed to do. Since most of the style issues should have been apparent based on his previous work, seems like the whole mess could have been avoided if they had outlined expectations up front. Either James would have declined the invite if he didn't agree or he would have curbed some of the riskier jokes.

I think direction is the root of this whole problem. As I said, James did take "be yourself," too literally but any good employer would give you some preliminary direction as to their expectations and what is (and is not) acceptable. Think of any new employment training any of us have received at a workplace. The videos and presentations where they tell us not to grab a co-workers butt and silly stuff you would expect to be common sense. Well, there's a reason that stuff is presented besides just liability. It gives your employees the understanding of how they would like to be represented. I can't speak to the process of hiring Harding but I wouldn't be surprised if there was none of that, because he would know not to call professional players "bottom bitches," on an international production even though you're friends with them.

Day 2 is almost ready to start up! How lucky are we that the two USA teams are going to go head to head during USA timezone prime time! Here's to some good games!

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: To play a bit of a devil's advocate; though I agree that the starting jokes by James went too far for some of the audience, and even I was a bit befuddled by them as I mentioned in my earlier post. Your other point about alienating players (EEsama for the most part, I'd assume) and teams on the other hand got me thinking about my personal favorite basketball show for the past ten or so years, Inside the NBA. EJ, the host, is professional as it gets in a light-hearted and playful manner, and he's a great all-around personality but the analysts, especially Barkley and (these days) Shaq, don't often come across as very professional in the same manner with some of the stuff they say about certain teams or players; or other things ("Snitches get stitches, heh heh", "they got some big ol' women in San Antonio" etc.).

Yet they are entertaining for the most part, or partly because of the audacity to utter these things: "Oh, it's just Chuck being Chuck" is something I often read and hear. Shaq has gone so far as to create the very popular Shaqtin' a Fool -series where the audience is presented with the goofiest things that have happened to players or teams within the past week. The players are there to be made fun of (hopefully to laugh at themselves as well), and at the end of the year one of the players will be rewarded for basically being 'the biggest doofus of the year' with an award: see Javale McGee and Kendrick Perkins. The analysts also talk smack about certain players or teams not being up to snuff live on air, sometimes in rather harsh tones even if it might be true at times (for instance, this and last year's 76ers). And this is one of the most popular sports shows on TV and they have won as many as nine Emmy awards because of their great chemistry and content. This is as sports show as sports shows get yet they do these sorts of things.

Now, what I'm coming to is, would you consider that the host is the only one expected to act fully professionally all the time (with a bit of leeway) and would strong personalities be allowed to be in the midst of the analysts in a similar fashion to Inside the NBA for esports to be considered equal to the standards of regular sports shows? This is not to say that the analysts in the Dota scene aren't great personalities, I think they're cool people with their own personal characteristics having watched many of them (grow) for the past three years. Heck, I even watched some of them play Mafia (the party/board game) on stream for three days (nights for me) straight during the end of last year.

But I'm just doing anything to keep that Valve crowdsource translation story from pissing me off more, therefore reminding myself about it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I think direction is the root of this whole problem. As I said, James did take "be yourself," too literally but any good employer would give you some preliminary direction as to their expectations and what is (and is not) acceptable.

Except we don't really know anything that happened behind the scenes before all of this, or conversations that may have been had with him privately.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#38 FinalDasa  Moderator

@malibuprofen: You're not wrong but in the "biz" those are called "color" announcers. People brought on to provide insight, experienced perspective, and a light-hearted view. Usually ex-players of the game who are around to balance the stale nature of play by play and analysis.

I'd say Harding's position is to facilitate the show, whatever it needs. If he needs to stall he creates and fosters entertaining conversation with whoever and whatever he has. His job wasn't to be the color announcer or the jokester, he needed to be a bit more professional and he, and Valve, just didn't understand that.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29from 2gd's document:

I have done nothing here I haven’t done before with the Dota2 community and they were enjoying it, maybe you are slightly disconnected from your own community? If you wanted something different don’t hire me or tell me in advance what performance I am meant to give. Did you notice the difference between this performance and the ones I gave at TI? because your company gave clear instructions.

So it looks like they take it pretty serious when it comes to the international, but for these majors the communication is not there.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MalibuProfen

@finaldasa: If and when Barkley is helping announcing games once in a while, that color announcer bit is true, but he and the others (Shaq and Kenny) are credited as being analysts in the weekly show itself. Most of the Dota analysts and color commentators, much like their real sports contemporaries, are (ex-)professional players as well (Synderen, Winter, Merlini, GoDz, Blitz). There is no discernible difference.

I don't really know if I have anything more of importance to say about the James case other than he was an easy target after the rather crass starting bits and for having to act too proactively to fill in time without any real rehearsal, and that Valve has pretty much dropped the ball in how they've ran this event on the English stream side of things so far. Still expecting to see them turn this around for the main event, though, especially after the backlash for their apparent ineptness and own lack of professionalism.

KotLGuy is a great, up-and-coming host(/caster) and more in-line what Valve probably wanted out of a host for the English stream. Hopefully him and Sheever get to host the main event as well, even if I wouldn't mind ReDeYe and/or Chobra to host it either.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading what Harding wrote, it's pretty clear he's clueless, and the firing was probably justified.

The whole signature thing sounds pretty gross, but if it was an issue, why did it take this messy breakup to become public?

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@flashflood_29from 2gd's document:

I have done nothing here I haven’t done before with the Dota2 community and they were enjoying it, maybe you are slightly disconnected from your own community? If you wanted something different don’t hire me or tell me in advance what performance I am meant to give. Did you notice the difference between this performance and the ones I gave at TI? because your company gave clear instructions.

So it looks like they take it pretty serious when it comes to the international, but for these majors the communication is not there.

Yup, I read that whole doc earlier today and that quote describes my suspicions as to how the hiring and direction was handled, if we are taking his word as truth. He certainly seems to be of the clueless kind but he's not the only one that handled the job inappropriately if what he says is true. Everyone's should be sharing the blame here. I just hope they learn from this. It's too bad all these shenanigans are going on because this tourney has been damn exciting.

CompLexity had a hard fought win in game one against EG but EG took game 2 handedly. Game 3 is pretty good so far but EG is showing their experience and are pulling away. They have too good of a team fight but CompLexity is playing the objectives pretty well. This one could have quite an amazing finish. I feel like it's all going to come down to whether or not ZFreek can pull of good silences with his Earth Spirit (on Lina and Witch Doctor). They're going to either have to find a way to initiate into teamfights effectively or pick off heroes to push with advantage. His early game roam wasn't too successful at all.

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This CoL draft lacked damage, Morph wasn't a great pick. There was a fight on dire top where CoL almost managed to wipe EG but they didn't have enough damage to actually kill anyone, then it became very clear that they couldn't take a 5v5.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BrotherBran

I think this would be a different conversation if the things he said where funny at all, but you cant be a dick and have it fall flat even with the rest of the panel.

For example, after all this went down Purge, Slacks, and the moonduck crew put on a panel and you could not use the word proffesional or stuffy in relation to those gents, but it was entertaining, and thats the difference.

Its the difference between Anthony Jeselnik, and that asshole at work the just doesnt realize how unfunny he is, and thinks hes "edgy" and "unfiltered"

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brotherbran: It's almost the equivalent of Joel McHale at the VGAs that one year, except Joel had his employer right next to him the whole time on camera so he got NO reaction.

Looks like the US isn't going to be pulling any upsets out of their qualifiers if CompLexity don't turn it around for the next two games against liquid. I guess there is always the lower bracket.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose, they at least have the excuse of him reading that garbage off a teleprompter. GK was just kinda the host/soul of that anyway, not the boss man.

I cant watch this shit anymore, its like they are whispering. Normally i have tourneys on while i play some ability draft or something but they are literally too quiet.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MalibuProfen

Well, apparently the main event so far has been a shit show as well, so there's that. I don't know why I thought that things would be any different with a few extra days in between. We'll probably have to wait for the tournament to end and the people (casters/analysts and players/managers) to depart from China to learn what truly happened there and (perhaps) why - likely a guidebook on how not to organize and run a major esports event.

But hey, Neste beat Liittouma in the upper bracket! Lower bracket Bo1s starting now. EHOME is in my opinion the only clear favorite among the pairings, but anything can happen in any one game.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

So Ramzes666's keyboard was lost by the production team delaying the tournament yet again. Boy oh boy, this is just something. They didn't even find it, they had to replace it.

So Archon are out with no wins throughout the tourny and MVP Phoenix remains unbeaten. CompLexity wins in the losers bracket meaning there are two USA teams still in it, with EG carrying the torch in the upper bracket (who is scheduled to play tonight against Fnatic).

Edit: During the pre-match panel before the VP game, mics in backstage or something were left on leaving a constant subtle chatter that was audible during the panel.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

The final play in game 3 of EG vs Secret astounded me. EG takes out the Invoker and then Arteezy just runs in at the T4 without his team while Secret still have their other 4.. What did he expect to happen? Just terrible coordination by EG. They had great combo chain stun potential with vacuum, sven aoe stun, and the nyx spikes to follow, along with a death ward and coconut bounce. That combo could have wrecked in team fights but they didn't even have the coordination to keep Ember chain stunned for a 4 v 1 gank. I wanted EG to win that for the US but good lord the coordination was terrible.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: In a way I am glad to hear that EG lost. But I am not sure I too thrilled it is like that and too Secret. (Although I am starting to hate EG less and less as time goes on. They do deliver.)

I am not sure if I am suppose to be disappointed in the major or thrilled. It seems like kind of a mess but it really is getting to the level that it is starting to hit 'funny'.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.