Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

So i fell down the rabbit hole

yourbuddyjeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So last night I decided I'd try and play dota 2 made it through the tutorials and then said to myself "hey I can play this online." LOL was I wrong but after 5 or so hours of playing I found my stride with a mix of the skelleton king and the alchemist. And the best part was in all that time I only had one jackass who screamed/yelled/cried into his mic at me so thank you to awesome Dota 2 community for being welcoming to new players also. I'd also like to ask if I really like those two classes are there any others that I am missing out on that I might like more?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By chiablo

Join the GiantBomb chat channel and join us for some low level matchmaking (ll mm). Playing with like-minded duders is a lot more fun and satisfying than playing with pubs.

yourbuddyjeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome I'll have to check it out I'll admit Im fairly new to steam and all of this The only pc games I played a lot were ffxiv 1.0 and hotline miami

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chiablo

awesome I'll have to check it out I'll admit Im fairly new to steam and all of this The only pc games I played a lot were ffxiv 1.0 and hotline miami

Play all of the tutorials, then watch a few of these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDdv1UhKaheYX_f-7GYbx5uKjF8SheYnP

When you have a basic understanding of things, hop onto the Giantbomb chat and mention you are a new player, we'll get you squared away.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@yourbuddyjeff: If you got into the durable damage dealer style, then you would probably be a fan of Lifestealer, Dragon Knight or Chaos Knight.

Cool that you got a good first impression! See you out in the field. :D

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So last night I decided I'd try and play dota 2 made it through the tutorials and then said to myself "hey I can play this online." LOL was I wrong but after 5 or so hours of playing I found my stride with a mix of the skelleton king and the alchemist. And the best part was in all that time I only had one jackass who screamed/yelled/cried into his mic at me so thank you to awesome Dota 2 community for being welcoming to new players also. I'd also like to ask if I really like those two classes are there any others that I am missing out on that I might like more?

Are you Patrick Klepek? You use the "I fell down the rabbit hole" line a little too well.

yourbuddyjeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no I'm not Patrick sorry to disappoint, Yeah the dragon knight from the tutorial seems pretty cool I get out of work in t minus 1 hr 25 min so I'll probably give it a whirl tonight and see.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of being abused by random anonymous people on the internet. Harden the fuck up everyone.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

@yourbuddyjeff: Dragon Knight is really cool in his playstyles. If you max out the flames first, he is good at getting early kills with a lanepartner that can burst/stun. Or if you max out the armor/regen passive first he is an unkillable beast for a short window around level 7. That lets you basically just kill any towers while being untouchably strong.

Later on in the game he almost always ends up as the big wall of meat protecting his team, and dishing out kind of mediocre damage. But that has it's charm as well. Even though I think he is the most fun earlier on.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Iodine

Dragon Knight is the gawd

As was said before you can join the GB channel, but you can join the overflow guild as well, if you ask in the chat one of the people in it can invite you

tutorials are good, the purge guide is a good basic concept thing, and if you are with GB duders most of us will be happy to help you out in game.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@rowr said:

I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of being abused by random anonymous people on the internet. Harden the fuck up everyone.

It's a legit concern for new players, especially since potential abuse usually comes from teammates who you need to cooperate with to win and have fun.

It's never stopped me as I've been playing DotA since the wild wild west Frozen Throne days, but it's totally reasonable why someone would get turned off by a negative experience of that nature.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not being afraid of play with and against random people where the chances of ever seeing them again is low should not be an issue. Even saying that doesn't give people license to be rude, crude, or abusive.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrxLecter

sigh, I don't understand how people can brush off the terribleness of these online communities. (most) people play games to have fun, it is down time, free time, and it is limited. Hearing someone yell about raping your mother because you didn't buy an item, scream and moan about your choice of play style, or any of the other abuses that happen is NOT FUN. "Harden the fuck up" is dumb, "mute them" is dumb, why would anyone want to play with these people even if they are muted? This is a pervasive issue with many online communities and ignoring it isn't going to fix anything.

*edit* and it isn't "fear" it is simply not wanting to have to put up with it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drxlecter: It's easy to brush it off because the vast majority of the games you play doesn't have horrible people in them, and the game is really fun. I've even played several games in Dota 2 where it starts with people being mad at me, but once they realize I just got screwed by MM and got stuck in a game with people who has and infinite amount more experience than me they become helpful and forgiving.

The horribleness of the Dota 2 community is vaslty overrated, and probably mostly just perpetrated by people who have bad first experiences or are not used to games where communication is a big part of the game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

sigh, I don't understand how people can brush off the terribleness of these online communities. (most) people play games to have fun, it is down time, free time, and it is limited. Hearing someone yell about raping your mother because you didn't buy an item, scream and moan about your choice of play style, or any of the other abuses that happen is NOT FUN. "Harden the fuck up" is dumb, "mute them" is dumb, why would anyone want to play with these people even if they are muted? This is a pervasive issue with many online communities and ignoring it isn't going to fix anything.

Because I'm not soft?

Honestly, that's it. I could not give any less of a shit what somebody says about me on a video game, because as soon as the game ends I literally will never have to deal with them again. What I don't understand is how somebody could be so sensitive that what an anonymous person that they will have to deal with for an hour at most says could completely deter them from playing a game that they might enjoy.

Also, all of the "dreaded" "racist insults" happen in about 1-5% of games. To me, it honestly sounds like either a) you are generalizing based on what you've heard instead of your actual experiences based on a sufficient sample size, or b) you just don't like any multiplayer games at all, because, like you said, those people exist in all of them.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

What I don't understand is how somebody could be so sensitive that what an anonymous person that they will have to deal with for an hour at most says could completely deter them from playing a game that they might enjoy.

You don't have to understand why some people feel that way, all that matter is that they do. And that hurts the longterm health/growth of the game.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you are not at the high end, the chances of seeing a random player again from any MM is pretty remote. It isn't worth the energy to hating people you don't know or ever meet up again. Even so that doesn't excuse players with rotten attitudes. It isn't about "manning up" to take abuse but "manning up" to do the best you can without falling to their level.

I have only ran into a 4 matches with problems, 1 time they were on my team. It happens infrequently and I had no issues with using reports and got them back after confirmed the bad behavior happened.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

@slag said:

@ajamafalous said:

What I don't understand is how somebody could be so sensitive that what an anonymous person that they will have to deal with for an hour at most says could completely deter them from playing a game that they might enjoy.

You don't have to understand why some people feel that way, all that matter is that they do. And that hurts the longterm health/growth of the game.

Game's been out for a decade, had over six million unique players this month, and probably already makes Valve more money than TF2 does. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I understand that people do feel that way, but I don't understand how. My only response is that the game (and perhaps multiplayer with any form of communication in general) is probably not for them. It's totally fine if that's how someone is, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Christoffer

@slag said:

@ajamafalous said:

Game's been out for a decade, had over six million unique players this month, and probably already makes Valve more money than TF2 does. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I understand that people do feel that way, but I don't understand how. My only response is that the game (and perhaps multiplayer with any form of communication in general) is probably not for them. It's totally fine if that's how someone is, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

I would like to point out that most people who take issue with the screaming insults aren't necessarily "hurt". You make it sound like people were crying themselves to sleep every time someone yelled at them. I'm pretty sure most people can endure the screaming idiots just fine. But those matches tend to be so mindboggingly boring that no matter how much you try to put on a smile, you just want to pretend your PC exploded and abandon the game.

But I try to always remind myself that there's probably 8 other pretty decent human beings in the match. Wouldn't want to waste their time even further by disconnecting.

And welcome to Dota, @yourbuddyjeff. As mentioned, be sure to jump in the GB chat.

UselessLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I don't find the abuse anywhere as near as bad as I was expecting. I had heard stories of how bad people were in Dota but it's not different from any other intense online game. I played nearly 30 days of MW2 on 360, so well used to dealing with idiots. Most of what you get on Dota is called a noob. Usually the same guy moaning about his noob team mates, over and over again for the entire match while not actually contributing anything himself. Sometimes I'll reply and say "Yes, I am a noob. Helping me out would benefit you more than whining though", other times I'll just ignore it.

I actually find myself getting way more angry against bots in Dota. The team mate bot AI is horrific. At least online, if someone makes a mistake or leaves me stranded, I can say something and it generally doesn't happen next time. I use bot matches solely to try out new characters to make sure I'm not going in blind online.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@uselessluke: That's how I use bots aswell. Getting feel and timing of different heroes. Turning the AI to hard or unfair and trying to beat them at last hitting for 10 minutes is also a pretty nice and quick practice. Other than that, bots are kind of useless.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrxLecter

@ajamafalous said:
    @drxlecter said:

Because I'm not soft?

Honestly, that's it. I could not give any less of a shit what somebody says about me on a video game, because as soon as the game ends I literally will never have to deal with them again. What I don't understand is how somebody could be so sensitive that what an anonymous person that they will have to deal with for an hour at most says could completely deter them from playing a game that they might enjoy.

Also, all of the "dreaded" "racist insults" happen in about 1-5% of games. To me, it honestly sounds like either a) you are generalizing based on what you've heard instead of your actual experiences based on a sufficient sample size, or b) you just don't like any multiplayer games at all, because, like you said, those people exist in all of them.

The answer is B. I don't play games with other people, at all.

*edit* I'm gonna put this in real world terms. Joe gets home from work and likes to exercise. He goes to his local gym. The people there call him "fuckwit" "dipshit" and the like. They tell him he can't use certain machines because they aren't for him, they tell him he is working out wrong because it is not the way they want him to work out. He hears stuff like "if you don't lift more I'm going to bash your skull in." Would you tell him to "man up" and "deal with it"? If not, you shouldn't be defending the people in game, it is the same thing.

*double edit* I just realized that your initial response is simply an insult. implying that you are not soft means that other people who don't want to deal with abuse are soft. Maybe you are one of the people we are talking about?

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand the anger that some people show during games, I've had to restrain the urge myself when I see someone blatantly ignoring what his team needs. The reason why people get so angry in Dota especially is how much you rely on every member of your team doing their job. Only in the lowest level mm will a team with 4 carries have a chance of winning. Once you reach past that, you absolutely require every person to fill their appropriate role.

@yourbuddyjeff One word of advice, don't get stuck playing the same heroes over and over. I fell into that rut playing League and my skill suffered. Learn as many heroes as possible that way you can provide help where your team needs it. You'll always have favorites (yo, Bounty Hunter!) but in order to get good you need to learn to fill every role in your team effectively.

Most importantly though, have fun!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:
    @drxlecter said:

Because I'm not soft?

The answer is B. I don't play games with other people, at all.

*edit* I'm gonna put this in real world terms. Joe gets home from work and likes to exercise. He goes to his local gym. The people there call him "fuckwit" "dipshit" and the like. They tell him he can't use certain machines because they aren't for him, they tell him he is working out wrong because it is not the way they want him to work out. He hears stuff like "if you don't lift more I'm going to bash your skull in." Would you tell him to "man up" and "deal with it"? If not, you shouldn't be defending the people in game, it is the same thing.

*double edit* I just realized that your initial response is simply an insult. implying that you are not soft means that other people who don't want to deal with abuse are soft. Maybe you are one of the people we are talking about?

I figured as much, and that's totally okay! That just means that Dota's probably not for you.

You're misrepresenting the situation with a poor analogy. The people at the gym are not relying on Joe to perform in any way for them to do anything. It would be more akin to players on a football team telling their quarterback he sucks and to play quarterback better by doing quarterback things when all he wants to do is play linebacker even though he's only 6'1" 200 lbs and runs a 5.3 40.

Nope, I'm not! I'm actually one of the most laid back and relaxed people I know when playing Dota; just go ask anyone in the guild who plays with me or watch any of my casting of the GB Community Tournament. It just annoys me to no end when people complain about a) something that happens in 1% of games, and b) something that happens in every multiplayer game, even ones with significantly less teamwork requirement and time investment. I'm struggling to think of a mutliplayer game that requires more coordination and everyone being on exactly the same page than Dota, but I know that the abuse is far worse on Joe's multiplayer shooter of choice.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say the insults aren't necessary, but i say some people go into this with the wrong attitude on the opposite side aswell. You can't really be excused for messing around and not doing your job in the team. It is a team effort and so everyone needs to work together.

I just feel that at some moments both parties are at fault. Swinging insults around is not needed and won't accomplish much but at the other time sometimes it is just people unknowingly screwing over other people because they don't know any better. I mean it really has to go on a case by case basis.

If you are actively trying to improve yourself you won't have that problem too much, and if you have it all the time it might not just be the guys at the other side of the fence. If you keep with it it will soon stop, and if it happens just talk to them as human beings an explain yourself, in some situations that might help. (not all of them but going on the defensive right away doesn't help the team play either)

But as some people said it takes a certain mindset to tackle it and keep with it. If you are having a problem with it now it might not be for you. (if you love it just stick with it and you will eventually see it decline)

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drxlecter said:, but I know that the abuse is far worse on Joe's multiplayer shooter of choice.

And a lot of people have pointed this out. This is not so much cause of the community, but more the nature of the game. You are in a top down view where you have a perfect view of what your teammates are doing, this is not the case in most shooters. If you ever make a mistake it will be clearly visible for them and because of how the game is it will directly affect them. That and in the time you are dead you are mostly just watching the map for what is going on so it is very easy to pick up on stuff then cause you got nothing to do but watch.

So i think it is just a issue with everything being so visible.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me up guys...lets play together :D

IGN : piwit_

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking for buddies Hola amigos :D add me señors IGN: Elespantoso :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.