Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Valve Swerves on Dota 2 Plans, You'll Get to Play Soon

• 96 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    MOBA. Say it with me, now. MOOOOOBA. MO...MO...MOOOOOBA. Feels good, man.

So much about Dota 2 sounds very...up in the air. There's no announced business plan, the release date has publicly fluctuated between before the end of the year and sometime in 2012 and Valve showed the game off for the first time with a public tournament at this year's Gamescom.

It only makes sense there'd be another twist. You'll like this one, though.

Dota 2 designer and one of the original minds behind Dota, Icefrog, broke down the upcoming plans for Dota 2 in a blog post.

The "plan" was to spend the next year or so in beta, ironing out the game's kinks with the community, with an official release later.

"We’ve also seen that the folks who are already in the beta are chomping at the bit to show everyone else some of the fun games they’ve had," said Icefrog. "So we decided our original plan was dumb."

Instead, Dota 2 will become available to everyone soon. There will be a "hopefully short" invite-only period, but the idea's to give the world access to the in-development Dota 2. Updates will come regularly, and players will see it evolve in real-time.

I'm pretty sure I just heard Brad's head explode.

"There’ll be no restrictions on what players can do with it," he said. "They can release screenshots, make movies, shoutcast matches, write guides, publicly make fun of our HUD, or anything else their hearts desire."

The version that initially rolls out will feature the set of heroes featured in The International tournament from last month, but more heroes will be rolled out as development continues.

It's an unorthodox way of doing things, but this is Valve we're talking about. God bless 'em for it.

If you haven't signed up for an invite yet, make sure to do so.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

So much about Dota 2 sounds very...up in the air. There's no announced business plan, the release date has publicly fluctuated between before the end of the year and sometime in 2012 and Valve showed the game off for the first time with a public tournament at this year's Gamescom.

It only makes sense there'd be another twist. You'll like this one, though.

Dota 2 designer and one of the original minds behind Dota, Icefrog, broke down the upcoming plans for Dota 2 in a blog post.

The "plan" was to spend the next year or so in beta, ironing out the game's kinks with the community, with an official release later.

"We’ve also seen that the folks who are already in the beta are chomping at the bit to show everyone else some of the fun games they’ve had," said Icefrog. "So we decided our original plan was dumb."

Instead, Dota 2 will become available to everyone soon. There will be a "hopefully short" invite-only period, but the idea's to give the world access to the in-development Dota 2. Updates will come regularly, and players will see it evolve in real-time.

I'm pretty sure I just heard Brad's head explode.

"There’ll be no restrictions on what players can do with it," he said. "They can release screenshots, make movies, shoutcast matches, write guides, publicly make fun of our HUD, or anything else their hearts desire."

The version that initially rolls out will feature the set of heroes featured in The International tournament from last month, but more heroes will be rolled out as development continues.

It's an unorthodox way of doing things, but this is Valve we're talking about. God bless 'em for it.

If you haven't signed up for an invite yet, make sure to do so.

Sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sinful

sounds cool. sweet

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By fossas

Damn

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Great! Now how about some news on that next Half-Life game?

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HotSauceMagik

Not that unusual. Thats how HoN did it.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By sirdesmond

This is great news (since I really want to play). I feel like the game will be much better for it in the end as well.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Sooty

So we are basically getting a game for free, hurrah!

Will provide a nice change from League of Legends.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By phrosnite

The best story I've read today. I can't wait to play it.

Yeah, will people shut up about Episode 3 already? HL2 is overrated anyways.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By MayorFeedback

HURR DURRR EPISODE 3 HAR HAR BLEEEEEEHHHHHHHH. Keep those snarky Half Life comments coming, folks, they are always funny and never get old!

I can't wait for this, for real. This looks like a ton of fun.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE

@phrosnite said:

The best story I've read today. I can't wait to play it.

Yeah, will people shut up about Episode 3 already? HL2 is overrated anyways.

I'm usually against the death penalty, but in this case...

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By KuribosShoe

Swerve! It's like Vince Russo works at Valve now!

Avatar image for deactivated-63cabd6b28362
    deactivated-63cabd6b28362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

But why not just play League of Legends? They are in the process of rolling out a new game mode and it doesn't look like as super generic as DotA2 does? Also it actually iterates on the original in new and interesting ways (brush, no deny, etc, etc)

BulleT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BulleT

Valve seems to always separate themselves from traditional models.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bed6ebbd32
    deactivated-5d6bed6ebbd32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reverse Valve Time™

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

Their HUD so fat it makes your mom look like a supermodel.

Christwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Christwood

So they're going to give everyone a half-finished game while making themselves look like a bunch of really nice people.

I don't like this plan.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zaglis

@Frostmane said:

But why not just play League of Legends? They are in the process of rolling out a new game mode and it doesn't look like as super generic as DotA2 does? Also it actually iterates on the original in new and interesting ways (brush, no deny, etc, etc)

Totally brah. That unreleased game from Valve (makers of indie hits like Counter Strike, Half Life and Team Fortress) is totally way, way worse than a game that has been out for for years and has had many new content updates and patches.

...UGH. FUCKING INTERNET.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

So I signed in through the Steam community thing. All it does is take me to the blog, no forms to fill or even a button to click to at least let me know that I actually signed up for it. Is there anything else I need to do or is that it?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phrosnite

@zaglis said:

@Frostmane said:

Totally brah. That unreleased game from Valve (makers of indie hits like Counter Strike, Half Life and Team Fortress) is totally way, way worse than a game that has been out for for years and has had many new content updates and patches.

DOTA 2 in its beta version is better than the current version of LoL.

TromboneTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TromboneTony

Man, I'm excited for this game and I don't even know how to play it. Guess I may want to spectate instead of play it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

Never played a MOBA game thus far, but dammit if Valve didn't just make me a convert. I WILL PLAY DOTA 2. Why? Because what you're doing is the opposite of a dick move!

Sword5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sword5

He still calls himself Icefrog? He has a job now. Someone needs to punch him in the mouth.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By dtat

Awesome! Now what about Half Life 3?

Krenor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Krenor

@Ravenlight said:

Their HUD so fat it makes your mom look like a supermodel.

the amazing thing about the source engine is that it's extremely customizable, I am also very scared of the Dota2 roleplay that will happen in Garry's Mod once all characters are imported.

Diablos1125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diablos1125
    So much about Dota 2 sounds very...up in the air. There's no announced business plan

The leaks and stuff that were just been uncovered recently point to what looks like a F2P model. Certain heroes being locked out for noobs etc. have been confirmed from the data mine stuff.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By admanb

@Sword5 said:

He still calls himself Icefrog? He has a job now. Someone needs to punch him in the mouth.

Icefrog is his public name. If they stopped calling him Icefrog, Dota fans would no longer know who he was and his value would crash.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By admanb

@phrosnite said:

@zaglis said:

@Frostmane said:

The world is big enough for both LoL and Dota 2 to exist, be popular, and be good. Grow up.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By benderunit22

"In related news, Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will be released next week. We decided our original plan of not releasing it was dumb.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By swoxx

I'm down with this, all the way down

Avatar image for deactivated-63cabd6b28362
    deactivated-63cabd6b28362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@admanb said:

@phrosnite said:

@zaglis said:

@Frostmane said:

The world is big enough for both LoL and Dota 2 to exist, be popular, and be good. Grow up.

If you have time to play and get good at 2 competitive multiplayer games at the same time you have too much time. Nothing about DotA 2 seems to be changing the game at all, so why not play a more mature product? All I've seen of DotA 2 so far is generic and doesn't seem to be improving the genre.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cikame

This type of release always concerns me, because the end result is most people played it early and won't see the final version.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By admanb

@Frostmane said:

@admanb said:

If you have time to play and get good at 2 competitive multiplayer games at the same time you have too much time. Nothing about DotA 2 seems to be changing the game at all, so why not play a more mature product? All I've seen of DotA 2 so far is generic and doesn't seem to be improving the genre.

Different people like different styles of games. LoL and Dota 2 are as different as Modern Warfare and Gears of War, and I hear those are both pretty popular.

Dota 2 is "generic" in the sense that it is Dota. A lot of people still like Dota, and will happily play a Dota that has better matchmaking and is better supported.

TzarStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TzarStefan

This game will fail. LoL ftw!

shiftplusone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shiftplusone
    @Sword5

Suda51 should do it IMO
    Akia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Akia

Valve is calling the genre Action-RTS. I think that makes more sense than MOBA.

Dota is to the RTS genre, what Diablo was to the RPG genre.

ucankurbaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ucankurbaga

Great news, can't wait for this.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JokerSmilez

@zaglis said:

@Frostmane said:

Not to nitpick, but Valve didn't make Counter Strike or Team Fortress. Someone else did and Valve hired them to make the game (or an updated version of the game) for them.

In fact, that's exactly what happened with DOTA2 as well. Icefrog was the main curator of the original DotA and Valve hired him to make DOTA2 (FYI, the creator of the "DotA Allstars" map which became the standard variation of DotA, Steve "Guinsoo" Feak, is now a head designer at Riot Games, maker of League of Legends).

People love to slurp all over Valve for making great games when they don't actually make many games themselves. They operate much more like a publisher than a developer. They make very smart hiring decisions and get people to make a new version of a game they've made already (or expand on a concept they've created or are working on).

Modern-day Valve is a lot like the Nike of video games. Nike doesn't really make it's own products. Nike has always been a company that sees another company doing something cool so they buy that company, give them more money to make the thing they're already making even better and then slap their logo on it. That's their business model, and it's works very well.

This isn't really a bad thing as many of the most successful businesses operate in this way or incorporate it into their business (Apple is famous for it as well). It's tough to do well however because it relies on consistently smart business decisions.

The problem I have is when people say "DOTA2 is made by Valve and they made Counter Strike/Team Fortress/Portal/Left 4 Dead/Half Life, so of course it will be awesome!" because that isn't isn't really true. Valve is deliberately vague about their development process for this very reason. They want people to attribute their love of one of their past games to one of their upcoming games when it may have none of the same people working it. All the public really know is that it's "developed by Valve". I'm sure many of the "ground level" developers may have worked on several of Valves games but the people at the top of the design teams for each game are different people. This isn't really a "from the minds who brought you those other Valve games you liked" as much as "a game made by people who were hired by the same people who hired the people who made those other games you liked".

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By tourgen

make the interns play

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jokers_Wild

@TzarStefan said:

This game will fail. LoL ftw!

Sorry, but your Nickelodeon battle arena is drawing its last breath. The true king of the genre has returned.

bunnyfiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bunnyfiend

So they're doing exactly what LoL did.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#41  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Don't care at all about the game, but I hope they make the engine easy to license like they did with the Source engine, I'd love to see more and proper RTSes using this engine.

Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kodo_Beast
    @Frostmane said:

@admanb said:

Why is it so hard to grasp that both games can co-exist?

@Akia said: 

Valve is calling the genre Action-RTS. I think that makes more sense than MOBA.

Dota is to the RTS genre, what Diablo was to the RPG genre.

I tend to agree. Multiplayer Online Battle Arena could describe any number of games. Is Quake Live a MOBA? Unreal 3? WoW Arenas / Battlegrounds?
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aetheldod

@JokerSmilez: That may apply to those games , but for me my love for Valve comes from the Half life games , I dont care for the rest (with the exception of Portal).... saying that : WHERE THE HELL IS HALF LIFE 3!!!!!!! :'(

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#44  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Kodo_Beast said:

Why is it so hard to grasp that both games can co-exist?

That's like saying Call of Duty and Battlefield, or StarCraft and Dawn of War could co-exist. Sounds like communism to me.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By jimi

Yes

YES

TzarStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TzarStefan

@Jokers_Wild: Both HoN and this garbage is not gonna do well. HoN is free now because of LoL, So yea gl for "DOTA 2" rofl

Tahlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tahlo

As much as I'm turned off by the communities surrounding these types of games, I'm still really excited to play this.

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoba.

Owlright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Owlright

Looking forward to this, for sure.

Demoninu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Demoninu

Kinda like what League of Legends did? ok awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.