Can people who donated $100 make their own wiki page?

  • 82 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for nekusakuraba
#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7812 posts) -

Can the people who pledged $100 to the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter and get their names in the games credits make a wiki page about themselves? It seems pretty crazy but you would technically be eligible, right?

Avatar image for shadowvirus
#2 Posted by ShadowVirus (849 posts) -

This was asked on the Bombcast a while back, Jeff said they would decide if you can or can't once they see how they're presented in the credits.

Avatar image for jethuty
#3 Posted by Jethuty (1052 posts) -

Naa.

Avatar image for nekusakuraba
#4 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7812 posts) -

@ShadowVirus said:

This was asked on the Bombcast a while back, Jeff said they would decide if you can or can't once they see how they're presented in the credits.

Oh really? Well, that's good to know! Thanks.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
#5 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6651 posts) -

Isn't the reason most of the GB staff have wiki pages because of Guitar Hero special thanks?

I'm just saying.

Avatar image for nekusakuraba
#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7812 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Isn't the reason most of the GB staff have wiki pages because of Guitar Hero special thanks?

I'm just saying.

Yeah. There was a time where they didn't have wiki pages because they said you needed to be in a games credits, right?

Avatar image for dany
#7 Posted by Dany (8018 posts) -

If you guys are in the credits of the game then I'd assume yes.

Avatar image for jethuty
#8 Posted by Jethuty (1052 posts) -

@Dany said:

If you guys are in the credits of the game then I'd assume yes.

you just get in the credits for donating any amount? or a certain amount?

is it still open also?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
#9 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6651 posts) -

@Jethuty said:

@Dany said:

If you guys are in the credits of the game then I'd assume yes.

you just get in the credits for donating any amount? or a certain amount?

is it still open also?

You had to donate at least $100.

And it literally just closed.

Avatar image for samfo
#10 Posted by SamFo (1658 posts) -

I donated $100 and I think... no, they shouldn't be able to, it seems pretty pointless to me.

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12539 posts) -

This reminds me that someone needs to thank Dave in a game, because he doesn't have a page.

Avatar image for hailinel
#12 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

Well, I've already got a page from other work. If this fits the criteria, it'll be a nice addition.

Avatar image for patman99
#13 Posted by Patman99 (1650 posts) -

Although I am one of those $100 donors, I really hope they do not allow creation of those wiki pages. If I remember correctly there was a ton of people who donated that amount of money and it would just be a huge amount of excess pages. I would also imagine that lots of those people also frequent this site so it would just add to the amount of absolute randomness found in each of those pages. Not worth it. If it were up to me I would just put the name in the credits but not allow the creation of a page, unless that person has done something else.

Avatar image for baillie
#14 Posted by Baillie (4708 posts) -

Please, don't bother. You're ruining the wiki if you do something like this.

Avatar image for soap
#15 Posted by Soap (3774 posts) -

@Baillie said:

Please, don't bother. You're ruining the wiki if you do something like this.

Avatar image for hailinel
#16 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

Although I am one of those $100 donors, I really hope they do not allow creation of those wiki pages. If I remember correctly there was a ton of people who donated that amount of money and it would just be a huge amount of excess pages. I would also imagine that lots of those people also frequent this site so it would just add to the amount of absolute randomness found in each of those pages. Not worth it. If it were up to me I would just put the name in the credits but not allow the creation of a page, unless that person has done something else.

For a name to be added to a game's credits page in the wiki, you need a person page to link to it.

Avatar image for pickassoreborn
#17 Posted by pickassoreborn (713 posts) -

I've been in a fair few game credits, though it feels kind of egotistical of me to pimp myself via a Wiki page. I'll whore the company I co-founded and work for via Wiki, but that's about the limit I think.

Avatar image for mrklorox
#18 Posted by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

This reminds me that someone needs to thank Dave in a game, because he doesn't have a page.

What needs to happen is Archer should have a point and click adventure where they use the file room scene from that one episode that has the main crew's initials in the background. That way Dave gets in and everyone else gets another credit. Then after that happens it'll come out that it was Drew's initials instead and the page will have to be deleted.
Avatar image for samfo
#19 Posted by SamFo (1658 posts) -

@Soap said:

@Baillie said:

Please, don't bother. You're ruining the wiki if you do something like this.

Plus, who is it for? It seems pretty stupid, eiditing your own fan site? lame...

Avatar image for shagge
#20 Posted by ShaggE (8393 posts) -

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

Avatar image for hailinel
#21 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

I admit that I created my own page due to a couple of small games I'm credited in, but I refuse to link to it or otherwise hint at it. There's nothing on it save my name, the games, and the barest of information.

Avatar image for iamjohn
#22 Posted by iAmJohn (6232 posts) -

As someone who has donated $100 and gotten in the credits, let me be the first third to say: I never want a page in the wiki and if someone makes me one, I will be very angry. This shit is so inconsequential; you don't deserve a page in the wiki for being a Kickstarter donor, unless you're some super crazy rich dude that paid for, like, a quarter of the budget yourself.

Avatar image for dagbiker
#23 Posted by Dagbiker (7041 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

As someone who has donated $100 and gotten in the credits, let me be the first third to say: I never want a page in the wiki and if someone makes me one, I will be very angry. This shit is so inconsequential; you don't deserve a page in the wiki for being a Kickstarter donor, unless you're some super crazy rich dude that paid for, like, a quarter of the budget yourself.

The thing is, the rules that every one else was added by allow the creation of special thanks' credits to be added to the wiki. so if you change the rule for double fine, then your going to need to remove a bunch of people.

Avatar image for shagge
#24 Posted by ShaggE (8393 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ShaggE said:

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

I admit that I created my own page due to a couple of small games I'm credited in, but I refuse to link to it or otherwise hint at it. There's nothing on it save my name, the games, and the barest of information.

Egotist! :P

I'd probably do it if I had made a significant contribution, but all I really did was write a line on their forum that they found funny and put in the script. I'm not even credited by my real name, but as "ShaggE".

Avatar image for iamjohn
#25 Posted by iAmJohn (6232 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@iAmJohn said:

As someone who has donated $100 and gotten in the credits, let me be the first third to say: I never want a page in the wiki and if someone makes me one, I will be very angry. This shit is so inconsequential; you don't deserve a page in the wiki for being a Kickstarter donor, unless you're some super crazy rich dude that paid for, like, a quarter of the budget yourself.

The thing is, the rules that every one else was added by allow the creation of special thanks' credits to be added to the wiki. so if you change the rule for double fine, then your going to need to remove a bunch of people.

Not going to lie, I am not a fan of the Special Thanks rule either. People put their fucking cats in the Special Thanks section. Should we make a credits page for every game developer's cat?

Avatar image for mikemcn
#26 Posted by Mikemcn (8173 posts) -

Just make the policy on it clear one way or the other. Don't let people guess.

Avatar image for zombiepie
#27 Posted by ZombiePie (6891 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Dagbiker said:

@iAmJohn said:

As someone who has donated $100 and gotten in the credits, let me be the first third to say: I never want a page in the wiki and if someone makes me one, I will be very angry. This shit is so inconsequential; you don't deserve a page in the wiki for being a Kickstarter donor, unless you're some super crazy rich dude that paid for, like, a quarter of the budget yourself.

The thing is, the rules that every one else was added by allow the creation of special thanks' credits to be added to the wiki. so if you change the rule for double fine, then your going to need to remove a bunch of people.

Not going to lie, I am not a fan of the Special Thanks rule either. People put their fucking cats in the Special Thanks section. Should we make a credits page for every game developer's cat?

The current Special Thanks rules already prohibits cats, animals, nonpersons and production babies as indicated in Jeff's post on this thread about this exact same topic.

As already indicated all signs point to yes, but we are still waiting to see how donation credits will be handled in the game still.

Moderator
Avatar image for guided_by_tigers
#28 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

Someone making and writing there own wiki page sounds sad as fuck.

Avatar image for marino
#29 Posted by Marino (6232 posts) -

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Someone making and writing there own wiki page sounds sad as fuck.

As someone who approves wiki submissions alot, I can tell you that it happens more than you would imagine.

Staff
Avatar image for drpockets000
#30 Posted by DrPockets000 (2877 posts) -

That seems like a waste of wiki space.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
#31 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@Marino said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Someone making and writing there own wiki page sounds sad as fuck.

As someone who approves wiki submissions alot, I can tell you that it happens more than you would imagine.

A lot of people who donated are saying they do not want it done.  
 
I mean do the people deserve the page for donating to a kickstarter thing? 
Avatar image for peasantabuse
#32 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5098 posts) -

If you do, you would have to use your real name. Then I would harass everyone.

Avatar image for marino
#33 Posted by Marino (6232 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Marino said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Someone making and writing there own wiki page sounds sad as fuck.

As someone who approves wiki submissions alot, I can tell you that it happens more than you would imagine.

A lot of people who donated are saying they do not want it done. I mean do the people deserve the page for donating to a kickstarter thing?

I just meant in general, not specifically for this game.

But, as for this game, we list people in "Special Thanks" on every other game. There's no way to know what qualified those people to get thanks on the game, so it's a pretty black and white argument if you ask me. If they're in the credits (aside from babies, pets, non-people), they get a page.

Staff
Avatar image for napalm
#34 Posted by Napalm (9230 posts) -

@Dany said:

If you guys are in the credits of the game then I'd assume yes.

Do you really want to open the floodgates to 100,000 new wiki entries that will only ever state, "donated a buck to the DoubleFine project"?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
#35 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@Napalm said:

@Dany said:

If you guys are in the credits of the game then I'd assume yes.

Do you really want to open the floodgates to 100,000 new wiki entries that will only ever state, "donated a buck to the DoubleFine project"?

Chances are all it would read is " Donated 100 dollars to kickstar program" And thats about it. Unless the person is full enough of them selves to write and entire bio. 
Avatar image for patman99
#36 Posted by Patman99 (1650 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Patman99 said:

Although I am one of those $100 donors, I really hope they do not allow creation of those wiki pages. If I remember correctly there was a ton of people who donated that amount of money and it would just be a huge amount of excess pages. I would also imagine that lots of those people also frequent this site so it would just add to the amount of absolute randomness found in each of those pages. Not worth it. If it were up to me I would just put the name in the credits but not allow the creation of a page, unless that person has done something else.

For a name to be added to a game's credits page in the wiki, you need a person page to link to it.

It's like 10,000 names. I dont think it's worth the hassle or clutter. If you have to have an actual page to add someone to the credits, then maybe a "Double Fine's Adventure Game's Kickstarter Backers" can be created and just list the thousands of names on there. I just think roughly 10,000 new names to be added to a wiki is so extraneous and not necessary. Possibly give all those people a page but just lock them from being edited or something like that. Im sure there is some sort of work around the staff can come up with that wont result with a bunch of randoms getting their own wiki page.

Avatar image for lukeweizer
#37 Posted by Lukeweizer (3276 posts) -

I think Jeff was leaning towards Yes regarding this. Some final confirmation would be nice because having my own GB page is about 50% of the reason I donated. The other 50% is Brad Muir.

Avatar image for hailinel
#38 Edited by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

I'd like to note that without a Special Thanks credit, most if not all of the Giant Bomb staff members would not actually have pages of their own. I mean, what exactly did Jeff do for Guitar Hero II?

Avatar image for ckeats
#39 Posted by ckeats (496 posts) -

If I had the money I would've donated and totally edited my own page. All by myself. It would include my entire life story, and all kinds of fun facts about me and my cat, because I know no one would ever see it other than the mod who gets the submission.

I need friends.

Avatar image for marino
#40 Posted by Marino (6232 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Dany said:

If you guys are in the credits of the game then I'd assume yes.

Do you really want to open the floodgates to 100,000 new wiki entries that will only ever state, "donated a buck to the DoubleFine project"?

We're a database. If they're in the credits, they get a page. Whether you (or anyone else) feels that person is "important" or "significant" is irrelevant. Even if no one ever goes to one of these people's pages, it doesn't change the fact that they are credited in a game, regardless of why they are credit.

Staff
Avatar image for cornbredx
#41 Posted by CornBREDX (7198 posts) -

Maybe, I don't know. I donated 100$, i dont plan on making a wiki page. I didn't do nothin special- just really like Tim Schafer, Adventure games, and really interested in that documentary.

Avatar image for deegee
#42 Posted by DeeGee (2192 posts) -

I donated, and I hate the idea of making a page for every single person. It sounds disgusting.

The best solution is to make a heading under the games page and put every persons name there.

Avatar image for napalm
#43 Posted by Napalm (9230 posts) -

@Marino: I'm sure there are more effective ways to handle that process. Game-specific pages would be better suited (I think), because those one-line donation wiki pages will just be lost to time.

Avatar image for mlarrabee
#44 Posted by mlarrabee (3849 posts) -

I think you should be able to, but it seems a bit unimpressive to do so.

Avatar image for strife777
#45 Posted by Strife777 (2083 posts) -

Technically yes, but I don't think they should allow it.

Avatar image for marino
#46 Posted by Marino (6232 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Marino: I'm sure there are more effective ways to handle that process. Game-specific pages would be better suited (I think), because those one-line donation wiki pages will just be lost to time.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "game specific pages." The people who donated money and are listed in the credits would be on the specific page for the game.

And I already addressed your "lost to time" concern. It doesn't matter. Just because you may think someone is insignificant to the credits doesn't mean we don't list them. It's a database. We're not here to decide who was important to the development. One could argue that those people are the most important, considering that without them, this game would have literally not been made.

Staff
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

I donated, and I hate the idea of making a page for every single person. It sounds disgusting.

The best solution is to make a heading under the games page and put every persons name there.

That could work. Since its a special case ( kickstarter) this might work best. 
Avatar image for n7
#48 Posted by N7 (4159 posts) -

I think what they should do is, when the game comes out, on its own wiki, we have a "special thanks" list of everyone who were in the credits and hyperlink to their respective Giant Bomb profiles.

Avatar image for zombiepie
#49 Posted by ZombiePie (6891 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@DeeGee said:

I donated, and I hate the idea of making a page for every single person. It sounds disgusting.

The best solution is to make a heading under the games page and put every persons name there.

That could work. Since its a special case ( kickstarter) this might work best.

Don't do anything like that right now. The current plan is to wait and see how credits are handled in the game and then Jeff will render a verdict on the issue.

Moderator
Avatar image for jethuty
#50 Posted by Jethuty (1052 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ShaggE said:

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

I admit that I created my own page due to a couple of small games I'm credited in, but I refuse to link to it or otherwise hint at it. There's nothing on it save my name, the games, and the barest of information.

dude really? come on...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.