Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Double Fine Productions, Inc.

Company »

Led by famed game designer Tim Schafer, Double Fine Productions, Inc. is an American game developer responsible for Psychonauts and Brütal Legend. Microsoft Game Studios acquired Double Fine in 2019.

Can people who donated $100 make their own wiki page?

• 82 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Can the people who pledged $100 to the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter and get their names in the games credits make a wiki page about themselves? It seems pretty crazy but you would technically be eligible, right?

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By ShadowVirus

This was asked on the Bombcast a while back, Jeff said they would decide if you can or can't once they see how they're presented in the credits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Naa.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@ShadowVirus said:

This was asked on the Bombcast a while back, Jeff said they would decide if you can or can't once they see how they're presented in the credits.

Oh really? Well, that's good to know! Thanks.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Isn't the reason most of the GB staff have wiki pages because of Guitar Hero special thanks?

I'm just saying.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@LordXavierBritish said:

Isn't the reason most of the GB staff have wiki pages because of Guitar Hero special thanks?

I'm just saying.

Yeah. There was a time where they didn't have wiki pages because they said you needed to be in a games credits, right?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

If you guys are in the credits of the game then I'd assume yes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dany said:

you just get in the credits for donating any amount? or a certain amount?

is it still open also?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

@Jethuty said:

@Dany said:

you just get in the credits for donating any amount? or a certain amount?

is it still open also?

You had to donate at least $100.

And it literally just closed.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By samfo

I donated $100 and I think... no, they shouldn't be able to, it seems pretty pointless to me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This reminds me that someone needs to thank Dave in a game, because he doesn't have a page.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

Well, I've already got a page from other work. If this fits the criteria, it'll be a nice addition.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Patman99

Although I am one of those $100 donors, I really hope they do not allow creation of those wiki pages. If I remember correctly there was a ton of people who donated that amount of money and it would just be a huge amount of excess pages. I would also imagine that lots of those people also frequent this site so it would just add to the amount of absolute randomness found in each of those pages. Not worth it. If it were up to me I would just put the name in the credits but not allow the creation of a page, unless that person has done something else.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baillie

Please, don't bother. You're ruining the wiki if you do something like this.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#15  Edited By Soap

@Baillie said:

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@Patman99 said:

Although I am one of those $100 donors, I really hope they do not allow creation of those wiki pages. If I remember correctly there was a ton of people who donated that amount of money and it would just be a huge amount of excess pages. I would also imagine that lots of those people also frequent this site so it would just add to the amount of absolute randomness found in each of those pages. Not worth it. If it were up to me I would just put the name in the credits but not allow the creation of a page, unless that person has done something else.

For a name to be added to a game's credits page in the wiki, you need a person page to link to it.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By pickassoreborn

I've been in a fair few game credits, though it feels kind of egotistical of me to pimp myself via a Wiki page. I'll whore the company I co-founded and work for via Wiki, but that's about the limit I think.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox
    @MooseyMcMan said:

This reminds me that someone needs to thank Dave in a game, because he doesn't have a page.

What needs to happen is Archer should have a point and click adventure where they use the file room scene from that one episode that has the main crew's initials in the background. That way Dave gets in and everyone else gets another credit. Then after that happens it'll come out that it was Drew's initials instead and the page will have to be deleted.
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By samfo

@Soap said:

@Baillie said:

Plus, who is it for? It seems pretty stupid, eiditing your own fan site? lame...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ShaggE

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@ShaggE said:

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

I admit that I created my own page due to a couple of small games I'm credited in, but I refuse to link to it or otherwise hint at it. There's nothing on it save my name, the games, and the barest of information.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

As someone who has donated $100 and gotten in the credits, let me be the first third to say: I never want a page in the wiki and if someone makes me one, I will be very angry. This shit is so inconsequential; you don't deserve a page in the wiki for being a Kickstarter donor, unless you're some super crazy rich dude that paid for, like, a quarter of the budget yourself.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

@iAmJohn said:

As someone who has donated $100 and gotten in the credits, let me be the first third to say: I never want a page in the wiki and if someone makes me one, I will be very angry. This shit is so inconsequential; you don't deserve a page in the wiki for being a Kickstarter donor, unless you're some super crazy rich dude that paid for, like, a quarter of the budget yourself.

The thing is, the rules that every one else was added by allow the creation of special thanks' credits to be added to the wiki. so if you change the rule for double fine, then your going to need to remove a bunch of people.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShaggE

@Hailinel said:

@ShaggE said:

I admit that I created my own page due to a couple of small games I'm credited in, but I refuse to link to it or otherwise hint at it. There's nothing on it save my name, the games, and the barest of information.

Egotist! :P

I'd probably do it if I had made a significant contribution, but all I really did was write a line on their forum that they found funny and put in the script. I'm not even credited by my real name, but as "ShaggE".

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

@Dagbiker said:

@iAmJohn said:

The thing is, the rules that every one else was added by allow the creation of special thanks' credits to be added to the wiki. so if you change the rule for double fine, then your going to need to remove a bunch of people.

Not going to lie, I am not a fan of the Special Thanks rule either. People put their fucking cats in the Special Thanks section. Should we make a credits page for every game developer's cat?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mikemcn

Just make the policy on it clear one way or the other. Don't let people guess.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By ZombiePie

@iAmJohn said:

@Dagbiker said:

@iAmJohn said:

Not going to lie, I am not a fan of the Special Thanks rule either. People put their fucking cats in the Special Thanks section. Should we make a credits page for every game developer's cat?

The current Special Thanks rules already prohibits cats, animals, nonpersons and production babies as indicated in Jeff's post on this thread about this exact same topic.

As already indicated all signs point to yes, but we are still waiting to see how donation credits will be handled in the game still.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Karl_Boss

Someone making and writing there own wiki page sounds sad as fuck.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#29  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

As someone who approves wiki submissions alot, I can tell you that it happens more than you would imagine.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DrPockets000

That seems like a waste of wiki space.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Marino said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

As someone who approves wiki submissions alot, I can tell you that it happens more than you would imagine.

A lot of people who donated are saying they do not want it done.  

I mean do the people deserve the page for donating to a kickstarter thing? 
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PeasantAbuse

If you do, you would have to use your real name. Then I would harass everyone.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Marino  Staff

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Marino said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

A lot of people who donated are saying they do not want it done. I mean do the people deserve the page for donating to a kickstarter thing?

I just meant in general, not specifically for this game.

But, as for this game, we list people in "Special Thanks" on every other game. There's no way to know what qualified those people to get thanks on the game, so it's a pretty black and white argument if you ask me. If they're in the credits (aside from babies, pets, non-people), they get a page.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm

@Dany said:

Do you really want to open the floodgates to 100,000 new wiki entries that will only ever state, "donated a buck to the DoubleFine project"?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Napalm said:

@Dany said:

Do you really want to open the floodgates to 100,000 new wiki entries that will only ever state, "donated a buck to the DoubleFine project"?

Chances are all it would read is " Donated 100 dollars to kickstar program" And thats about it. Unless the person is full enough of them selves to write and entire bio. 
    Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Patman99

@Hailinel said:

@Patman99 said:

For a name to be added to a game's credits page in the wiki, you need a person page to link to it.

It's like 10,000 names. I dont think it's worth the hassle or clutter. If you have to have an actual page to add someone to the credits, then maybe a "Double Fine's Adventure Game's Kickstarter Backers" can be created and just list the thousands of names on there. I just think roughly 10,000 new names to be added to a wiki is so extraneous and not necessary. Possibly give all those people a page but just lock them from being edited or something like that. Im sure there is some sort of work around the staff can come up with that wont result with a bunch of randoms getting their own wiki page.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lukeweizer

I think Jeff was leaning towards Yes regarding this. Some final confirmation would be nice because having my own GB page is about 50% of the reason I donated. The other 50% is Brad Muir.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel

I'd like to note that without a Special Thanks credit, most if not all of the Giant Bomb staff members would not actually have pages of their own. I mean, what exactly did Jeff do for Guitar Hero II?

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ckeats

If I had the money I would've donated and totally edited my own page. All by myself. It would include my entire life story, and all kinds of fun facts about me and my cat, because I know no one would ever see it other than the mod who gets the submission.

I need friends.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Napalm said:

@Dany said:

We're a database. If they're in the credits, they get a page. Whether you (or anyone else) feels that person is "important" or "significant" is irrelevant. Even if no one ever goes to one of these people's pages, it doesn't change the fact that they are credited in a game, regardless of why they are credit.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By cornbredx

Maybe, I don't know. I donated 100$, i dont plan on making a wiki page. I didn't do nothin special- just really like Tim Schafer, Adventure games, and really interested in that documentary.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DeeGee

I donated, and I hate the idea of making a page for every single person. It sounds disgusting.

The best solution is to make a heading under the games page and put every persons name there.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm

@Marino: I'm sure there are more effective ways to handle that process. Game-specific pages would be better suited (I think), because those one-line donation wiki pages will just be lost to time.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By audiosnow

I think you should be able to, but it seems a bit unimpressive to do so.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Strife777

Technically yes, but I don't think they should allow it.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Napalm said:

@Marino: I'm sure there are more effective ways to handle that process. Game-specific pages would be better suited (I think), because those one-line donation wiki pages will just be lost to time.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "game specific pages." The people who donated money and are listed in the credits would be on the specific page for the game.

And I already addressed your "lost to time" concern. It doesn't matter. Just because you may think someone is insignificant to the credits doesn't mean we don't list them. It's a database. We're not here to decide who was important to the development. One could argue that those people are the most important, considering that without them, this game would have literally not been made.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DeeGee said:

I donated, and I hate the idea of making a page for every single person. It sounds disgusting.

The best solution is to make a heading under the games page and put every persons name there.

That could work. Since its a special case ( kickstarter) this might work best. 
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By N7

I think what they should do is, when the game comes out, on its own wiki, we have a "special thanks" list of everyone who were in the credits and hyperlink to their respective Giant Bomb profiles.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By ZombiePie

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@DeeGee said:

That could work. Since its a special case ( kickstarter) this might work best.

Don't do anything like that right now. The current plan is to wait and see how credits are handled in the game and then Jeff will render a verdict on the issue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@ShaggE said:

dude really? come on...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.