Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Double Jump

Concept »

A double jump is the ability to jump while already in mid-air to get some extra lift. In reality, double jumps are not possible and violate fundamental laws of physics.

History of double jump

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Grumbel

Does anybody know more about the history of the double jump, i.e. in the 2D days it was rather unpopular and used only by a tiny few games, while in the 3D platformers it is nearly omnipresent, with Mario being one of the few exceptions? Is it just because it allows to correct the jump direction mid air, those giving you a way to compesate for bad camera that you often get in 3D or are there any "deeper" reasons why double jump is used so often? I for one really don't like double jumps, since they feel very unnatural and steal the whole dynamic from jumping, i.e. in Mario64 doing three jumps in a row gives you a fluid motion and added height, while a double jump in other games pretty much halts you in the air, making the movement much less fluid.

ajarbuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ajarbuckle

lol that was in every game in the 90's

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

Double jumps are stupid. Wall running is much cooler.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.