Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Downwell

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 15, 2015

A vertical-scrolling action roguelike that is heavily inspired by Spelunky.

Down well is out Thursday who is picking it up?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Poll Down well is out Thursday who is picking it up? (116 votes)

For sure! 46%
    Maybe depends on price/reviews 23%
    Not interested 31%

I for one have been excited about it for a few months now. Is any one else excited? If yes why? If not why?

• 
    newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

what's down well

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I found the game you are referring to, it's Downwell, I moved it for you. Please try to post topics like this in the appropriate game-specific forum and not just lumped into General. Thanks.

Anyway...this is the first I've even heard about this game! The wiki page says it's inspired by Spelunky, so I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Never heard of it, so no I guess.

Why do you ask?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just interested in what people think looks like a neat little mobile game

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: sorry first time making a poll

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am definitely picking this game up once it hits Android and PC. (I would buy it on the App Store if I had a capable Apple device)

If you haven't heard or seen much of this game watch the video below...

Loading Video...

Or go to the game's website www.downwellgame.com

The game will be $3 (US) so if you play it and don't care much for it you won't be losing much. If anything consider it as supporting a Japanese Indie Dev --Ojiro (@moppin)

Hopefully there is a Quick Look for this on the site or someone plays it on UPF. This game definitely needs the exposure that this site can offer :)

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hells: glad somebody else is pumped for it I've been following the creator ojiro (sp) for awhile and would love a meaty game on ios that doesn't follow the free to play model.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike

Looks like it has an upgrade system almost exactly like Nuclear Throne, where the player is presented with a choice between several upgrades at the end of a level. That's not a bad thing, I really like it in Nuclear Throne so I hope it works well here, too. The shooting and reloading mechanic looks really unique as well. It seems like the player's weapon is reloaded as soon as he touches the ground. I can't recall seeing something like that in any other game before.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By seemah

Game looks super cool. Been seeing updates about it from Devolver on Twitter. Can't wait to give it a try.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By YummyTreeSap

I don't think it was the first I'd heard of this game, but I remember Cara Ellison talking about this game with enthusiasm on a Bombin' in the AM segment. Here is her piece on it:

http://embedwith.tumblr.com/post/101441175857/embed-with-ojiro-fumoto

I've been excited for this game for quite some time and will definitely get it, though I don't think I can do it as a mobile game. Way too much quick/precise movement, which I haven't ever found to feel good on a touch device.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Looks like one of those cool games that I would have no interest in playing on mobile but then it feels weird on PC.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 27-inch 1440p rotatable monitor, so if you can still play this in portrait mode on PC, I'm gonna be all over it.

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CharlieCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hugh_jazz: It does have vertical/tate mode! It's wonderful!

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I just bought it with my IPhone 6 Plus, and is pretty fun so far. My fingers are big so I mess up one the buttons on the left some, but overall totally worth $3

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I was so close to buying this...but then I realised that I'm a little burned out on the black and white / black, white, and red colour scheme.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

I was so close to buying this...but then I realised that I'm a little burned out on the black and white / black, white, and red colour scheme.

Actually, a lot of the unlocks in the game consist of different palettes for the game and they vary really significantly. Basically, when you die, there's a ranking progression that takes place and you always get something new at level up, so pretty much at the end of your first few runs, you'll be getting new palettes. Some just replace the red with some other color (I'm actually quite fond of the aqua blue rendition of this formula, generally easier on the eyes), but some eschew the black entirely in general. You're only going to get three colors no matter what you pick to my knowledge, but you're definitely not forced to commit to the default scheme if you don't want to.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mike

@beachthunder said:

I think Downwell has quite a unique look to it. I can't think of another game that has this same color scheme, at least right now off the top of my head anyway.

@blackblade500 I wonder if you could hook a bluetooth controller up to your phone and use that instead? I'm considering getting the game on Steam, where it thankfully has full controller support. Reviews are positive so far, but it's still early...what do you think of the game? What would you compare it to?

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By YummyTreeSap

I bought both versions because fuck it, why not? Also I didn't expect the Steam version to cost the same as the mobile version, which is kind of unheard of in video games these days.

So far I've only played the iOS version because I haven't bothered to boot my computer into Windows and the Steam version doesn't have an OS X version yet. I'm liking the game quite a lot but I'm not used to precision controls on a touch device yet. Almost all of my deaths thus far have been a result of me fumbling around with that rather than difficulties arising from the game itself.

Seems like a good game, though.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 dollars? I think I'll be throwing down the money.

felixculpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got it. Man this game is badass. Great feel, art & sound. Also fuck bats, need to develope some bat-techstat!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Any preference between the mobile vs. PC version?

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving it so far. The controls are maybe a little loose but I think that just adds to the fun controlled chaos of it. Also, you can totally just turn the button icons off and tap anywhere on the screen.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely getting it this has been on my radar for so so long. No Android release means PC for me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone play it on an iPhone 4S? There is a real possibility that it won't run great on my phone.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The Android version is conspicuously missing, so I'll wait and see.

Besides, I never got Desert Golfing and just discovered GOLFINITY which is scratching my mobile gaming itch for now.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: fwiw, Desert Golfing was gaming press peer pressure run amok. The buzz around that was game was largely unwarranted, it was just like "hey everybody is playing this dumb thing right now."

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Bollard
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

Anyone play it on an iPhone 4S? There is a real possibility that it won't run great on my phone.

To follow this up, I bought it anyways though the App Store page recommends iPhone 5 or higher. It plays alright, though I get slowdown when a bunch of enemies and projectiles are popping off onscreen at once, but it's more like bullet hell slowdown where the game speed just slows the hell down but all the frames of gameplay still play out, as opposed to the usual iOS slowdown I expect where it suddenly just skips like half a second worth of frames as it glitches out. Also, the slowdown may even be an intentional throwback for all I know? I haven't looked at other footage of the game.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I assume you can only get it on Steam? In that case, I'll hold off until there's an alternative option.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Picked this up on Steam today - SO MUCH FUN!

@beachthunder: You unlock alternate colour schemes pretty quickly if that helps. I'm currently rocking black/white/blue.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mike

Does the iOS release have a frame rate drop whenever the player takes damage? According to the developer, this frame rate decrease is an "intended slow down effect." FPS drops from 60 down to sometimes even below 30 whenever the player character takes damage...I find this to be so annoying, I'm not sure I can continue playing the game.

Loading Video...

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I'm finding something about the movement just that little bit 'off'. It might well be the framerate drop as you say. Not too fond of the monochrome colour palette either as I find it easy to lose track of where I am when there's a lot of shit going down.

As someone reared in the Spectrum, you'd think I'd be used to that. ;)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mike

@dave_tacitus: I know what you mean...I'm finding it a little off as well, I'm just not sure how to put it into words. Oh well, maybe some more time with the game will sort it out.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@mike: Yeah, I've only been messing around with it for an hour so things might fall into place with the movement soon.

There's a lot to like, especially for the price, but nothing I love yet.

EDIT - Saw some guy on the Steam forums using an arcade stick with it, saying it controls a bit more precisely. Messed around a bit with my stick but definitely prefer my DS4.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Oh, THIS game. I played this at Chicago's Bit Bash last month, and it's super fucking cool. I will probably end up getting this at some point.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Looked great on UPF, but on an iPad it feels rather odd. The control scheme is piss poor.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gundogan

Picked it up on the PC after last UPF. Fun little game! Prolly my Luftrausers/Nuclear Throne (one last game!) this year.

Should try it with my arcade stick.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are the phone controls?

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BrotherBran

@personandstuff: if you have a big screen id say go for it, but im still rocking a 5 and the controls are responsive but its way too cramped

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Managed to get to world 3 after 10 or so runs. Loving it so far. Feels really damn good on PC. My only issue with the controls is the wall jump, which is too hard to pull off when you want to (which seems like never?) and too easy to do accidentally when trying to shoot. Doesn't happen too often though.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This game is great. I've been using my arcade stick to play it just 'cause. My only real complaint is that the wall jump window feels really tight. Though I don't find it that useful, except maybe after jumping off of torches.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool little game. Some of the jumping feels just a tiny bit off, and the game could do more with regards to explaining how enemy characteristics can be immediately observed through colour (eg solid red is an enemy you cannot touch at all), along with the benefits of getting combos, but it's an absolute steal at $3 nonetheless.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I love the art style, like the idea, but...

those controls are a nightmare, LET ME TILT CONTROL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET THERE BE TILT CONTROL.

Virtual buttons are kind of a nightmare, and always have been. I've played a dozen games with them and not one has been exceptional, a platformer with virtual buttons? Are they mad?

I'll keep trying to get a feel for it, but I think that the controls are inherently borked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.