Dr. Mario World is a free-to-play tile-matching puzzle game developed by Nintendo EPD (in conjunction with LINE and NHN) and released by Nintendo for iOS and Android devices on July 9, 2019.
A mobile-focused spin-off of the Dr. Mario series, Dr. Mario World features numerous differences from its source material and is optimized for touchscreen devices. Like other free-to-play mobile puzzle games, the game makes use of an overworld where players can continue their progress (or revisit previous stages to improve their score) at their own pace.
Similar to its source, players attempt to clear their playfield of multi-colored Viruses by positioning multi-colored Capsules in a way to create a row or column of three (or more) of the same color. Unlike the traditional Dr. Mario game, Capsules "float" from the bottom, and players can manipulate one or more active Capsules by dragging and tapping them. While some stages are timed with unlimited Capsules, most of them give players an unlimited amount of time to determine what to do with a limited amount of Capsules. Score is determined wither by the amount of Capsules/Time remaining.
The game also introduces power-ups, special character-based abilities, and new obstacles that either help players (such as Shells and Exploders) or make the game more challenging (such as Blocks, shielded Viruses, and hidden Viruses). In addition to the single-player Stage Mode, the game also has a separate Versus Mode for 1v1 online multiplayer, including ranked play with special rewards.
As a modern free-to-play mobile game, the game uses multiple in-game currencies (Coins and Diamonds, the latter of which can only be bought with real money) for continuing stages, acquiring power-ups, and unlocking new characters (the latter through a gacha system). The game's Stage Mode also has a restrictive lives system, where players must use one of their limited amount of Hearts to start a level and can only replenish them either by completing a level (for one Heart), by waiting in real-life (one Heart per 30 minutes), or by using Diamonds (for fully replenishing them, with a special offer for an hour-long unlimited play).
Each Doctor has their own special ability that can be activated once they fill up their Skill Meter. Theses abilities can be upgraded in Versus Mode by acquiring multiple copies of the same Doctor from Staffing.
Each Doctor also have different attacking properties in Versus Mode, with some characters (such as Bowser) sending more Viruses with more reliably (at the cost of sending them less often).
At the very beginning of the game, players play as Dr. Mario. After a short time, though, they choose between the following three Doctors (and can unlock the rest through Staffing):
- Dr. Mario - Clears rows with objects in the lowest position.
- Dr. Peach - Clears columns with objects at random.
- Dr. Luigi - Clears locations with objects in an "L" shape. In Versus Mode, it prevents the opponent from rotating their capsule for a short time.
- Dr. Yoshi - Clears locations with objects at random.
- Dr. Toad - Clears locations at random (whether they have objects or not).
- Dr. Toadette - Changes objects at random into boxes. In Versus Mode, it hides the opponent's viruses with clouds at random.
- Dr. Bowser Jr. - Breaks bubbled Viruses at random. In Versus Mode, it hides the opponent's Viruses with bubbles at random.
- Dr. Ludwig - Breaks iced Viruses at random. In Versus Mode, it hides the opponent's Viruses with ice at random.
- Dr. Wendy - Breaks blocks at random. In Versus Mode, it changes the opponent's Viruses into blocks at random.
- Dr. Waluigi - Clears dust-covered Viruses at random. In Versus Mode, it hides the opponent's Viruses with dust at random.
- Dr. Wario - Adds capsules/time. In Versus Mode, it prevents the opponent from building up their attack meter for a short time.
- Dr. Daisy - Clears a location in a square (by tapping the center location).
- Dr. Baby Daisy - Replaces objects at random with Matching-Color Capsules.
- Koopa Troopa
- Shy Guy
- Piranha Plant
- Hammer Bro
- Cheep Cheep
- Spiny Cheep Cheep
- Koopa Paratroopa
- Buzzy Beetle
- Bullet Bill
- Boom Boom
- Pom Pom
- Sumo Bro
- Huckit Crab
- Scaredy Rat
- Sledge Bro
- Monty Mole
- Boomerang Bro
- Chain Chomp
- Fly Guy
- King Bob-omb (only obtainable in Battle Boxes)
- Banzai Bill (only obtainable in Battle Boxes)