Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Constructive Criticism: Help Influence DA3

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TerraMantis

As i am sure we all know that DA3 is "in the works" now. It is our duty as DA players to make sure we tell Bioware what we want to see from DA:O and DA2 to be reimplemented or done away with if we want the gaming experience that the real fans of the franchise deserve. Now, criticism is one thing and it has been discussed and rediscussed for DA2 over and over. I don't want to see that...well, only that. I would like to see CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Simply complaining about the issue you believe the game has is not constructive and it only points out flaws (which is fine...at first) which is destructive only. I would like to hear interesting ways in which you, the player, has to fix said "pet peeves" with the DA franchise and build upon this IP's ideals and gaming mechanics.

• EQUIPMENT

This may be personal preference but you gotta bring it back. I want to be able to suit and customize my team down to the letter. I've seen interviews with Mike Laidlaw with Gamespot and other places saying "he didn't like how he would see end-game screen shots of player's games of DA:O and 90% of them had the same characters wearing the same armor" so he wanted to change it. The logic there just seems empty to me. You didn't like the possibility that there COULD be a chance that every single player equipts their team the same so you made the companions wear the exact same armor for the entire game? DA:O had it right. Mages that can wear plate or wield swords and shields if attributed correctly. Like i said, Origins had it right with many equipment chocies and flexibility to customize your team for a malleable personal experience.

• COMBAT

Both games have had room to be improved upon when it comes to combat. Personally i like many of the changes in DA2. I think the implementation of class effects-- stagger, disorient, brittle--was a great addition and added the sense of importance to your team effort and made skill-tree abilities feel paramount to victory. On the other hand, i do not like the ability to "close the gap" with a single press of an auto-attack button. I enjoy the way it looks and whatnot, but i believe that closing the gap should be part of the decision making when fighting. Rogues and Warriors are the melee classes in the game and they both have talent-tree abilities to arrive at their enemy very quickly; if that ability is on cooldown so be it. That is part of being a hand-to-hand class; you have to take travel time into consideration.

• COMBAT/EQUIPMENT

These aspects go hand-in-hand when it comes to creating the gaming experience that the player manipulates and forges their own unique experience. Origins had a huge flexibility when it came to equiping your teammates and the skills they had at hand. Sure, the addition of class and cross-class debuffs was a new level of sophistication to combat but the variety in the different "jobs" the classes could do was made finite. In other words, in DA2 the lack of personalization of companion's equipment made it feel as though they only had a single role to play. Aveline felt as though she could only be a "tank", Varric was ranged DPS, Anders was a healing mage, and so on. In Origins people were coming up with all kinds of crazy team mixes. Mages or rogues that could tank, bow warriors, sword and board warrior, duel wielding warriors or rogues, rogues with a shield, a dagger and a sword, two swords or two daggers, mages with swords, rogues in plate armor, and so so much more. This combonation of what you could do through the variety of the equipment you could put on  your team and the skills they could choose through their trees made for a much higher level of customization, personalization to playstyle, and (a big one) replay value was HIGH. 

• ENVIRONMENTS

I know it, you know, and Bioware knows it. Environments look better, at times, but are used and re-used far too often to an almost shameful point. The mini-map doesn't even try to give an illusion that the maps are the exact same over and over. This disillusion makes for the a lack in the feeling of an open world and asks a lot of the player to be okay with saying "go to cave A, come back later to section B of the cave which includes some of A, and yet several more returns will yeild parts of B and D sections of the cave, but A is closed off and this whole thing is trying to be passed off as several different places". The environments felt flat; i never really felt like i was scaling a towering construct or descending a treacherous labyrinth. One of the catches of DA2:Legacy is "ALL NEW ENVIRONMENTS" to explore. So, it is at least good to see that Bioware is listening.

• BATTLE SCENARIOS

For me the largest drawback of Dragon Age II was the battle scenarios. Not so much the combat mechanics, but the actual battle situations.The battle situations felt regurgitated. The battles seemed unchanging throughout the entire game. I never felt intellectually challenged throughout. The fights seemed to always fit a "formula" and contained many archers and melee pawns. Enemies would "pop-out" of nowhere making fights seem tactically childish and waves and waves of enemies would keep splashing you after your defeat of the first sighted foes. Team placement was meaningless. Between the "formula" and the "pop-outs" battle's situations seemed as though their mechanics were extremely oversimplified from Origins. It felt like no one actually sat down and really thought of unique and interesting combat scenarios.

In combination with the reuse of maps it also made the battle scenarios seem pathetic. This is because you began to know every nook and cranny of each map from going there repeatedly and you know exactly where each and every "ambush" will take place. Furthermore, the "ambush" is used so often in the game that it is not an ambush...an ambush is only an ambush if you don't know it is coming and it doesn't happen 95% of every enemy encounter.

The reason i like Origins so much was because it felt like a single-player version of a MMO. Traditionally in a MMO you need a variety of several different archtype roles that need to band together to overcome a battle situation. These archtype roles are a healer, Damage, and a "tank" (someone to absorb and keep damage on them). Another extremely important role is the ability for your characters to be able to "control" enemies when you're outnumbered. THIS is why Origins was so much better when it came to battle situations and scenarios. Origins felt like a it implemented these gameplay qualities with the exception that i would control my "band" by myself.
    Seldom did any extra enemies just show-up to the fight after the initial group in Origins. Maybe a stealther here-or-there or a invisible mage, but never guys just showing up late to the party. You had to mitigate damage and keep abilities spread out on the enemies to keep enemies in check. When i was outnumbered i would stun a guy and shield bash another to knock him down. All the while, trying to damage other targets and keep my foes from overwhelming my group...and that was just for normal groups of enemies. I was in control of this team of people and Healing, Damage, Tanking, and enemy control made the battle mechanics imulate these gameplay mechanics of the traditional community-based game on a single-player setting.

Also, bosses in Origins had a larger variety in their battle mechanics as well. The Queen of the Blackmarsh comes to mind when i am thinking of a good boss fight with smart mechanics to overcome. The Queen of the Blackmarsh was an electric dragon of sorts. Periodically she would disperse into a handful of electrical balls of energy around the room which would form a circle around one large dome of energy in the center of the fighting area. The handful of electrical spheres would slowly make their way to the dome and you had to try and destroy all of them before they reached the dome or it was a heal for the dragon form of the Queen. Great mechanics and things like this seemed void in DA2. Simple mechanics like group positioning didn't seem important. For example, everyone knows not to stand behind a dragon because they'll kick you or tailwhip you, same with ogres, but none of this rudimentary aspects seemed to make an appearence in DA2.

DA2 seemed to have basically one single battle mechanic which was throwing additional enemies at you, "adds". More than often adds would be thrown at you which was a sorry excuse for a mechanic in many situations. Really the only boss in the game that had an interesting battle mechanic was the stone giant in the Deep Roads. His mechanic involved two different forms with different fighting styles and his "power blast" required you to position your team behind pillars to protect you from the power blast. Although, even this fight had adds that would come out during certain health percentage intervals it was by far the most interesting and intellectual fight in DA2. The other bosses of the game were far less interesting and acute in their mechanics with the same old "adds" scenario for nearly every major fight. What was the Arishok surrounded by? What happened when you fought Meredith and the Mature High Dragon? Oh that's right, adds came during health percentage intervals. Where are the fights that take some trial and error...or intellect? I want an actual challenge...intellectually. Not through my stamina in the ability to click the "auto-attack" or smash the "A" button. That is not intelligent; Origins felt much more sophisticated.

Constructive Criticsm on Battle Situations.

The battle scenarios need to be stimulating even for "non-boss" pulls (trash pulls). When changing the difficulty fro one to the next it doesn't need to be much different than it was for normal, but the other difficulties should have introduced unique battle mechanics. The difference between Normal, Hard, and Nightmare shouldn't just be the weak implementation of...you guessed it, more adds. What i am getting at is, even these trash pulls should have intellectual mechanics and thought thrown into their development. The difference between Normal and hard shouldn't be just more guys, it should be a special battle mechanic. Maybe a single new special enemy among the group that that wasn't there before. If this new found enemy is not killed first and if you kill the other peons first the special new enemy will actually absorb their souls and enrage itself making it next-to-impossible to kill. Perhaps vice-versa that situation. Wherein, you need to kill the special enemy last or when he dies he explodes and hits the remaining enemies with his blood which enhances their strengths. Maybe tie mechanics into the environments as well. Examples, water in a room with lava enemies and you need to make them path through the water which they are then super-cooled so they can be hit otherwise they burn you if you get too close if not cooled, cover or height advantages/disadvantages, enemies that puke acid making parts of the floor hazardous. A real game about tactics and battle situations...not just throwing more adds and trash at the player and slapping a battle mechanics sticker on it.

I qoute an interview with Mike Laidlaw from PCgamer.com where in the interview Laidlaw states “If I’m going to piss you guys off, it’s going to be because I still firmly believe that RPGs do need to be more accessible to new players,” Laidlaw adds. “Not diminished, but made less imposing and less terrifying to new players. In part because I want more people to play Dragon Age, and in part because there have been a lot of improvements in gameplay and UI design in the past 15 years, and we can learn from them.”

Have you not heard of World of Warcraft? Don't worry, us gamers are all grow'd up and we can handle a challenge; in fact we want it. Games like Demon's Souls and World of Warcraft implement some of the most challenging and complex battle mechanics and scenarios on the market. WoW quite frankly revolves around end-game battle mechanics and loot and i am pretty sure you cannot argue that game's success or its variety in bosses and their mechanics.
    I am not saying to make a Demon's Souls or WoW; i'm just saying don't cut your audience short because you think you want the game to appeal to a wider audience and you don't want to scare newcomers away with challenge, a jump right in feel, or with complex tactical gameplay. Your audience already exists...and it is huge.

• STORY

The reason i loved DA:O so much was it was a fantastic introduction to this vibrant new lore and fantasy universe. I was learning about the nuances of the Chantry, the Dwarven Cast system, the struggle and persecution that elves undergo on a daily basis, and the thin ice that templars and mages walk on together. DA2 didn't feel as though it touched base on this nearly as much. In Act 2 you learned quite a bit about the Qunari and that was my favorite chapter. I know that is some lousy constructive critism, but that is about all i can say on that front. I would like to hear more and see more of the introduction of new races/subcultures of races and or their intricacies through what makes them unique, taboo, or otherwise.

• IP IDENTITY 

I understand that Bioware is Bioware and they make more than one franchise, but Origins felt like Dragon Age and Mass Effect was Mass Effect. DA2's overall aesthetic of the interfacing, conversation choices, and  even down to the way NPCs stand around an environment DA seemed to borrow far too much from its sibling RPG franchise Mass Effect. My constructive criticism here WOULD be that you need to find your own identity, BUT that is not true. DA already had its own identity. It just needs to be re-individualized.

When i play Mass Effect i want an other worldly space opera epic that takes me to strange planets and across the galaxy. When i play DA i want a big fantasy WORLD with medieval dungeon crawling and dark ethics.

• DRAGON AGE 3 IDEAS

1. If you have followed Bioware for as long as i have then you know that they actually used to implement a four class system of Mage, Rogue, Warrior, and Cleric. I believe this is not only the perfect time for the DA game to implement the fourth class of a Cleric as a gameplay addition to mechanics but also a perfect time in the story as well. With the complete separation of the mages and templars it would now be a perfectly conceivable time to implement the new class because basically mages are the only healers in the DA universe and without the aid of the mage's healing abilities on the battle field templars are going to get  smoked without any form of healing/magic. Sounds like the right time to bring about the caster plate-wearing zealot into the mix.

2. Manipulate the environment with more interactive abilities. I'll elaborate. I see mages that can make rock form over their body or "trap" enemies in an ethereal prison. How come they cannot use these abilities to manipulate the environment to protect themselves? or cast a "Prison of Protection"? If you choose the skill (i am imagining this) "Rock Wall" you could then put your cursor on the ground and then hold a specific button as you moved it across the ground. This would highlight an area on the ground leaving a path. When you exited your "paused time skill interface...mode" the game would then have rocks jut up from the ground creating a wall across the path you had just chosen. Create a circle around your ranged characters to create that "prison of protection" i mention earlier. This mechanic could be used offensively as well. Creating a custom designed fire trail on the ground that damages enemies when entering it. Perhaps a frost trail that could freeze or slow enemies as they walked over it. The possibilities in mechanics of this implementation are quite high if some good minds were put on it.

3. What happened to those nice little quick animation finishers from DA:O? I liked those. Enemeis bodies exploding into big polygon fragments is no substitute.

4. Companion gear customization needs to make a return.

5. Let the environment take us places that are amazing and tell a story just from looking at them. With a great variety.

6. Implement more strategic battle situations and a larger range of enemies and their mechanics.

7. Alchemy and trap making need to make a more in-depth return and possibly even add other additonal professions like; black smithing, rune crafting, wood working, enchanting, etc

8. If more in-depth crafting professions were introduced the use of the internet should definitely be more thoroughly utilized. Make it so only one crafting profession can be obtained by any one player character, then make a "market place" where players meet together online to trade other crafting profession goods to to get otherwise difficult items for other things. If you don't have the internet you could make is so each character made could somehow mail items from character to character.

9. I really enjoy when RPGs have sets of gear with different set bonuses where you can wear several parts to one set because you like the bonus and a few from another set to get different enhancements.

10. I would like to see stealth make some changes possibly with adding a stealth one-shot kill. This would not have to pertain to only or necessarily be exclusive to rogues. Mages can cloak, maybe a specific potion can grant a cloak and so on.
    11. Weapon versatility needs a return. I actually like the idea of one-handed swords being able to hit several targets, but you took swords away from rogues and daggers away from warriors. Why not let swords do what they're doing in DA2 and bring it to DA3 but let any class wield whatever they want if attributed for it? For example, swords are obviously weaker than daggers when it comes to single target. So the want to change weapons up could be situational. If i need to do more damage across more enemies i would want two swords as a rogue or warrior. Whereas, if i am attack a single target i would want daggers...makes sense to me.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ADDED 8-22-2011+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I would like to see more personalized story/quest chains that pertain to your specific class. Quests that can go above and beyond simple "when i show up somewhere i know enemies are going to jump me and i fight them". I love in Elder's Scrolls games when they have quest chains for the Thieves Guild and assassins guild like the Dark Brotherhood or the government sanctioned one in Morrowwind. Also, similar things for the Mage's Guild and Fighter's Guild.
    That being said, i would like to see quest chains or series of events that are unique for the class you're specifically playing this time through. Personal trials that your protagonist overcomes or struggles with on their day-to-day basis. For example, at certain points in DA:Origins you would wake up from having a "vivid nightmare" about the archdemon and the Blight due to your "Joining". This simple yet effective detail really gave me insight into what it feels like to be a Grey Warden and the different sacrifices and trials they must endure.

I would like to see things like this for your chosen class. How come my created mage never deals with the trials of the temptations of the Fade like seemingly every other mage must endure with the seductions of power from the entities within? I would like to see a more intimate and personal struggle with my character and their gradual triumph over or yielding to their offerings of power in the fade first-hand.

If you were a rogue i would like to see something with maybe an assassin's guild or...anyone remember the Antivian Crows? Once you're in you never get out. Possibly some type of establishment like that.

Possibly for a warrior you could go through the quite literally "mind-numbing" process of becoming an Ash Warrior. Or, some other trial for some sect that is not previously present in the DA universe.

I would like to see these implementations and have them be unique story features to your specific class. This would make replay value much higher with content that was never seen before because on a previous play-through you chose a different class. It would also give those moments that "wow factor". I am always very impressed when games go to the extent of having environments, characters, dialogue, and material that may not even be seen in a game depending on your specific actions or the uniqueness of your style of interaction through character customizations or dialogue choices. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CONCLUSION

There you have it. I want to see what people have to say that could help Bioware make Dragon Age III a game that the true fans deserve to be delivered. This is not about my specific biases toward DA:Origins or DA2; it is about what great gaming ideas you've came-up with while playing both games that you think could help Dragon Age. Whether it be bringing back features from the past Bioware franchise or a change to the structure of the game with your fresh idea.

Let's hear your great gaming ideas for Dragon Age III.
    Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Flaboere

Wow, very in depth! I have to admit, I didn't read it all, yet, but what I would like to see in the next game, is perhaps making the party a little bigger; these small parties quickly end up in 1 tank, 1 mage(healer), 1 rogue and you. And they way companions are in DA2, there literally IS 1 tank, 1 2hander, 1 dagger rogue, 1 healer mage etc., leaving almost no room to make party-choices. I liked in the BG games where you could pick and choose so much, even with the "half" classes such as bard, paladin, ranger and druid.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Bioware's totally gonna read that. Totally.

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dread612

Ways to make DA3 better?  Simple. 

See DA1.

Done.

themanofchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By themanofchan

A very in-depth article, I certainly agree with having equipment customization for party members I never liked in DA II how you just collected upgrades from chests or barrels and most of the time you don't even notice any significant stat changes at all. Another thing about the inventory I found the star system to rate items was very very poorly implemented, for example in a playthrough i had a set of daggers that had a base damage of 83 and was rated 3 stars, yet i had another set of daggers that had a base damage of 80 and was rated 4 stars and it had no effects or any other advantage than my 3 star set of daggers. Which i found odd because it seemed like a straightforward enough little idea to implement. But i'm probably nitpicking i had high hopes for that game, high hopes.

Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Z3RO180

i love DA 1 and i Loved  DA 2 but the deal with the seconf=d one was that it had little to no new enviorments but other than that bio wear should take the best parts of both games and there you have it a great over all rpg worthy of the dragon age name.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Don't make the main antagonist an evil sword.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By LawGamer

I'll add to/respond to a few of the above (I don't want to quote the whole thing) 

1. EQUIPMENT: I too would like to see equipment customization come back. However, I can also understand the devs desire to actually have players see the character designs the artists probably spent a ton of time on. Thankfully there is a happy medium here. Allow us to equip armor, but just don't show it. Some MMO's have the option to "hide helmet," which allows you to keep the stats of the helm you have equipped without actually displaying it in game. Just apply the same concept to all the armor in DA3. Let us equip it for the armor and stats, but don't show it so we actually see the characters.  

As an additional point, if what the devs are saying about "90% of the characters" wearing the same armor is actually true, then maybe they need to look at game balance as part of that issue. There is probably a game-play reason why everyone has the same armor equipped on all their characters.

2. ENVIRONMENTS: DA3 could benefit from a lot better use of color and lighting to set the mood. I remember having this complaint about the original DA as well, but it really stuck out in DA2 with the re-used environments. In DA2 you basically had two coior pallets - "Lowtown Tan" and "Hightown Grey," neither of which is particularly compelling and get really boring to look at after awhile. Even when you left Kirkwall these two colors were predominant. Similarly, every environment had about the same level of lighting. Caves should not be just as bright as when I'm walking around town. 

If they need an example, this is something that Mass Effect does really well. The colors and lighting are not only more vibrant, but they actually convey something about the place you're at too. Omega is dark and full of an intense reddish-orange glow that immediately signals "danger." Compare that with the Citadel which is bright is usually colored with blues and whites. 

3. COMBAT/COMBAT SCENARIOS: I actually liked a lot of the combat changes they made with DA2 in terms of making it feel more visceral and more interactive. However, they really, really need to tone down the adds. I don't mind a few trash adds every now and again, but when they come out of the woodwork in every single battle, it quickly becomes old. In addition, it eliminates the strategic nature of the gameplay, since I know that there will be adds and I know that they will appear behind me. It makes every fight predictable. 

What I think they need to do here is make specific enemies that can call or summon reinforcements. Not only would his provide some sort of context for why there are suddenly more enemies, but would also add back some of the strategic nature to the fights. You would have to prioritize taking down certain enemies more often rather than just mashing attack until everything is dead. 

5. STORY: Fair warning, this was my single biggest gripe about DA2. I hated the story. H-A-T-E-D it. Actually, that's not entirely accurate - I really liked the story through the end of the first chapter, THEN I started to hate it. The problem in my mind was that the first chapter had a clearly defined goal that motivated you to continue forward, whereas the later chapters didn't.  

Having a goal is the single most important thing in an RPG. A goal allows you to role-play your character better, make conversation choices and provides a context for gameplay mechanics. Remember all of the fetch quests in DA2 (it would be hard not to - there were a ton)? I didn't really notice them until Chapter 2. Why? Because they made sense in the context of the goal provided for the first chapter. My character needs to make money. Fetch quests give money. 

As simple as that sounds, it really helps, and it was something I felt got lost in later chapters. The fetch quests continued to appear, but I lost any sense of reason for doing them. My character had already made his fortune, so why do I care about bringing back random object x to person  y? Without a goal, these sidequests suddenly stopped making contextual sense and I viewed them as sidequests rather than part of the story. 

The problem, however, was larger than just sidequests. After that first chapter, they literally just dropped you in the middle of Kirkwall with a little quest pointer showing you where you needed to go to advance the story. Sure, you had a conversation where you got to say what you wanted to do (politics/trade/look out for family, etc.) - but the main quest seemed to have little to nothing to do with whatever goal you chose. Instead, it felt like you were just doing random, unconnected quests until the story decided to connect them together, by which point I was so confused and tired of it all I just didn't care. 

Take Chapter 2 for example. You spend the entire chapter doing a series of seemingly weakly connected quests for the viscount and the qunari. Certainly you can see the situation in the city deteriorating and becoming more tense - but you don't think about it that much because it had little or nothing to do with the task you had been given. It was only at the end of the chapter that you were told the qunari were looking for an artifact and wouldn't leave until they found it. As a consequence, all the plot twists after that felt contrived and hollow. 

However, consider if you had been told about this artifact at the beginning of the chapter and given the task of finding it? Further think about if all the other quests were presented as ultimately unsuccessful leads towards finding the object? That would have made things a lot more interesting. You would have felt responsibility for the declining state of the city and pressure to find the object. Additionally, it would have made the little plot twist towards the end of the chapter feel a lot more like a personal betrayal than it did, which I think is what the writers were going for.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By falling_fast

make it with the Infinity Engine!

also, hand over development to Obsidian! :D

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269

@damnable_fiend said:

also, hand over development to Obsidian! :D

I would like to be able to play the game, not clip into walls and have my save files go corrupt.

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By dvaeg

I recently did a marathon run to finish DA:O, which I have owned since day 1. I then did all the DLC and then went to Awakenings. Immediately after finishing all of that, I started DA2 and I was shocked. This thread is perfect for me.

So far I can add a hearty "ditto" to most everything said here. I'm still in Act 1 in DA2, but I'm already getting tired of the problems. The adds are incredibly annoying and were frustrating the first few times. I plan my fights with a lot of crowd control and I was burning through my spells and abilities to quickly and cleanly dispatch a group only to get mobs spawning right in front of me with zero context. I should be rewarded for efficiently using my group, not punished.

Another change has got to be companion customization. As it stands, because companions are so rigid, I am missing out on questing with my favorites because they don't fit what I need. I can't stand Varric, but he's the only ranged rogue I've come across so far. I prefer Isabella (her banter with Merrill is fantastic) but she adds an additionalmelee combatant to the fray that I don't need.

The hook needs to be changed too. Although I like Hawke and Bethany as main characters, and I don't mind having a main with personality, there's nothing driving the story forward that's compelling to me, the player. I know it will likely change, but I'm a good 10 hours in and the only tension happened in the first 30 minutes when I was fleeing Lothering. With no compelling narrative, I'm almost bored -- or rather, I have to find the compulsion in the segments of side-quests I find interesting. Making money to go on an expedition isn't what I would call motivating.

Tone down the combat. The more cartoonish and action-y you make the combat, the less real it feels and, consequently, the less dangerous it feels. DA:O combat was messy, it was semi-realistic in that sword swings were slow, maneuvering and positioning was inelegant, and mages didn't look like they were inspired by a Jet Li film. With everyone flying around, Isabella leaping 18 feet in the air to land on someone, Bethany looking like a Dragonball Z combatant and...well, you get the point.

I'm sure I'll finish DA2, but it wasn't the improvement on the original that Mass Effect 2 was over part 1. I expect better from Bioware, who along with Blizzard and Valve are the top-notch PC game makers.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TerraMantis
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Crixaliz

That is very in-depth critique.
    I just hope they keep Hawke as the protagonist. Hawke is probably the best RPG protagonist of any game that I have played.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Cornman89

Umm, good job? Maybe you could... post this on Bioware's forums? As it stands, there is literally zero percent chance this will in any way "help influence" Dragon Age 3.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TerraMantis

@Cornman89

Umm, Thanks? It...is on the Bioware forums. As it stands, it is a conversation piece. Thanks for the heads up though chief. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.