Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Is Dragon Age II As Bad As It's Made Out To Be?

• 111 results
    Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Save your time rather than your money. Go Icewind Dale instead

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Shit, I forgot they took out races in this game. Oh well, human rogue it is.

bwat47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@razielcuts said:

@thehumandove said:

I enjoyed it for the most part, but you have to turn your brain off for most of it.

Turn your brain off because its ridiculously easy or because if you think about it too much you will begin to pick at it and the game will just frustrate you?

The story is really, really dumb. The quality of writing takes a pretty steep drop compared to Origins.

The story has its flaws (act 1 was a pretty slow burn, and it jumps the shark a bit near the end of act 3), but overall I think the story was pretty decent. Act 2 in particular I found to be *really* good, the stuff with the qunari was handled very well. And the da2 story does a good job setting up the big conflict for DA:I

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@bwat47 said:

@hailinel said:

@razielcuts said:

@thehumandove said:

I enjoyed it for the most part, but you have to turn your brain off for most of it.

Turn your brain off because its ridiculously easy or because if you think about it too much you will begin to pick at it and the game will just frustrate you?

The story is really, really dumb. The quality of writing takes a pretty steep drop compared to Origins.

The story has its flaws (act 1 was a pretty slow burn, and it jumps the shark a bit near the end of act 3), but overall I think the story was pretty decent. Act 2 in particular I found to be *really* good, the stuff with the qunari was handled very well. And the da2 story does a good job setting up the big conflict for DA:I

It does not do a good job of setting anything up. It leaves things in a state for Dragon Age: Inquisition to pull from, but the manner in which the set-up occurs is hamfisted and filled with poor writing. Lyrium sword. Who would be stupid enough to make, let alone use one of those?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Steadying

I liked it. The ending is terrible, though.

Also, the story does not feel all that important in the grand scheme of things. I'm kinda worried Inquisition's won't either, considering they removed the 3 from the title......Actually, nevermind, I just remembered Dragon Age II was called Dragon Age II.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Definitely not. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. It's just that its not DA:O is why everyone hates it. Understandable, I guess.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By EXTomar

Dragon Age 2 just felt lower quality and even incomplete and rushed compared to previous Bioware games. The core "components" are fine but things like the trimmed down story and limited maps and quest/missions just seem to say "EA paid us to make another game quick" instead of Bioware felt this was the next step in the story.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's a decent game if you stop playing about 90 minutes from the end.

But the ending... everything about it... the plot twist... the party members you lose... the shitty two bosses you have to fight regardless of which faction you sided with... Ugh.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

As a huge fan of the original everything everything they did to the sequel was massively disappointing. They dumbed down everything from the combat and story to the world size and exploration. It feels like a rushed product. There's so much they stripped out of it compared to the original. But as a game on its own it's fine.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By warxsnake

Yes. Upto that point I had never seen a game reuse as many (or few in this case) areas. At first it was perplexing but then turned into a joke when you revisited the same mine/foundry, called different things, in supposedly different areas, with cement blocks blocking doors to create different branching levels.

The developers are not at fault here, the publisher is for having pushed this game on them with such an absurdly strict deadline.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#111  Edited By benspyda

If you like big budget fantasy RPGs it's worth playing as there aren't that many modern ones. It was fine but seemingly worse in every way to Origins. It's the equivalent to Mass Effect 3, worse story and dialogue and a terrible ending.

Man, now I'm depressed just thinking that Bioware haven't made a better than average game since Mass Effect 2.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By abendlaender

I hate this game. It is NOT as bad as some make it out to be. It's not some unplayable mess. It is, however, a massive, MASSIVE downgrade from Origins. Sometimes I felt the developers deliberately tried to piss off fans of Origins. Story is terrible (the overall story in Origins wasn't that great either, but the scenarios were interesting and the writing way better). So it's not actually a terrible game. But I still fucking hate it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.