Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Lead dev speaks out on Dragon Age 2 issues

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Flaboere

I'm pretty sure the developers knows what's wrong with DA2; the reason he's writing it in such a...diplomatic tone, is that you never admit failure in a company, if it can be avoided. I'm also pretty sure, that most of the wrongs with DA2 can be blamed on stupid publishers and PR folk. 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By valrog

Excuses, excuses everywhere. They should just admit that Dragon Age II was nothing but a quick cash grab and we could leave this disappointment behind us already.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By superfriend

Quick, somebody tell this dude the following sentence: "Dragon Age was a great game, make a sequel to that."
    If he doesn´t get it then, tell him: "A proper sequel."

If all else fails, tell him: "You´re fired!"

I honestly thought DA2 was a joke compared to DA1.. maybe I should have given it another chance, but whatever. It sucked.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Moonshadow101

It's pointless to keep raging about DAII. This proves that there is at least a basic level of awareness of what went wrong and how to fix it, which should give a basic level of hope about DAIII. Better than the generic "Well, you can't please everybody all the time!" squeal that we get most of the time. (I'm looking at you, Todd Howard.)

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TheChaos
    @Swoxx said:

I still don't understand how Dragon Age 1 turned into Dragon Age 2.

EA happened.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By swoxx

@TheChaos said:

@Swoxx said:

EA happened.

They were already around when DA:O came out. But yeah, I guess you're right. Can't spend more than 12 months on a game, can you EA? Thats bad business.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#57  Edited By Dookysharpgun

All I seen while reading that were the words: "We knew we were making a piece of shit, we knew we were being lazy, we knew every issue in the game, yet we still released it, sorry about that..."...fuck themselves. I can't stand this type of poor-us BS they pull out in defense of their crap. They need to get over themselves and make a better fucking game, or they need to be fired, and replaced with better devs, who give a shit about what they're making.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I loved Dragon Age 1. Bought it on the PC day 1. This game I actually just picked up a few days ago. I do find myself still playing it non-stop because I love RPG's to begin with. But man points 1,2,4 are exactly the reasons why I'm put off by this game. Not that it's bad, it's just in my opinion a big step backwards. I'll still continue to enjoy this game once I beat it with a mage, and move on to a warrior. But currently i'm not sure if the DLC's are worth it. The biggest issue I have with the game is just staying in one huge "hub" with Dao 1 you moved across the county to different areas, this just feels like boring life in the city of Kirkwall. Of course i'm not sure how far I am, but with a good 15hours in it's getting boring seeing the same locations. 

Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Z3RO180

DA 2 is a great game but it does have issues.For me the man issue as the fact that all the envioments were re uesed to death and well thats the onl problem i have with it. And i really like te fact that i dount have to change the armour of my party cause it gets frusting when i buy a piece of armour and 20 minutes later i change it for someting better so m glad biowere took it out

ick_bop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ick_bop

Give it a three year dev cycle instead of just one miserable year, there...problem solved. A DA2 could have been made in a year and come out okay if they reused assets from the first game, but they made a completely new game...which is a retarded thing to attempt in that small amount of time.

AssCreed can get away with it because they reuse so many assets, and also have one of the largest dev teams in the industry.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Deleth

@ick_bop said:

Give it a three year dev cycle instead of just one miserable year, there...problem solved. A DA2 could have been made in a year and come out okay if they reused assets from the first game, but they made a completely new game...which is a retarded thing to attempt in that small amount of time.

AssCreed can get away with it because they reuse so many assets, and also have one of the largest dev teams in the industry.

Well they tried to turn it into something Mass Effect like. With Hawke being the equal of Shepard. This was a horrible, horrible, horrible idea from the very beginning. On top of that, the game was rushed to cash in on the popularity of DA:O.

The game was also god awful. There simply wasn't anything good about it in any kind of way. And for the most part the Ray Muzyka are either outright lying to us or in denial. The opinions weren't that "polarized" at all. Sure there were a few people who actually liked this, mostly console players. But the vast majority of people I've seen talking about this game just hated it and for a good reason.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By jakob187

That guy could've easily paraphrased it all down to a very simple statement:

"We got lazy and fucked some shit up, and you folks had every right to be pissed off at us. We're sorry, and we won't let it happen again. Enjoy Ma$$ Effect 3."

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Deleth: You're exaggerating in more than a few ways there. Yes, the game was horribly simplified, rushed and badly designed in many areas.. but it wasn't "completely god awful with no redeeming qualities", it's far from the worst game of this year. I'd give you most disappointing at best.

Console players hated it as much as anyone else, and bare in mind that sales for Origins were better on the 360 than any other system, so let's not start any elitest BS here.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Deleth

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Deleth: You're exaggerating in more than a few ways there. Yes, the game was horribly simplified, rushed and badly designed in many areas.. but it wasn't "completely god awful with no redeeming qualities", it's far from the worst game of this year. I'd give you most disappointing at best.

Console players hated it as much as anyone else, and bare in mind that sales for Origins were better on the 360 than any other system, so let's not start any elitest BS here.

Yes it was completly god awful with no redeeming qualities. The balancing was horrible, the companions were unlikeable, the story was one long kick into the groin, the actual fighting system sucked, the only locations were that god awful ugly town one basement and one cave over and voer again. Hell there wasn't a single good thing about this game at all.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mordukai

@ArbitraryWater said:

At least they're willing to admit that they messed up. From Laidlaw's comments, it seems like some of those design decisions were made in haste, which makes sense considering that game had at most 18 months of active development. However, the major one for me isn't the lack of environment variety nor the endless waves of enemies (both still fairly significant issues), but how the element of choice basically boils down to intent more than anything else, since literally every plot point of note is out of Hawke's control. If they can bother to fix that one, and then make their story not have the single most facepalmingly stupid ending of any Bioware game, I will consider Dragon Age III to be redeemed, regardless of whatever other problems it may end up having.

After Brent Knowles (that's the dude who was lead on DAO) left Bioware because he did not like the direction EA and Bioware were going to take DA2 they [Bioware] purposely put Laidlaw as lead because he is the one that wanted, and took, Dragon Age into what it is today. It is clear that Laidlaw vision was not in synch with fans as the sales numbers clearly show, I believe DA2 numbers only reached about 50% of DAO numbers, that DA2 was just not where the game needed to go.

Frankly DA2 was a PR disaster from the get go. By giving it the title they did Bioware made fans think this is going to be a successor to their most successful game. In truth DA2 has nothing to to with it's predecessor. TO me DA2 actually felt like a side story and I might have not hated as much as I did if it was so. Bioware could have just named it Dragon Age: Chronicles of Kirkwall and treat it as a new franchise made better suited for consoles while working on a proper DAO sequel as. I think we can all agree that while DAO worked on consoles it feel clunky and tacked on though I must give credit for Edge of Reality for taking a game that was design, for the better part of 4 years, on a PC for PC and some how made it work.

Laidlaw might be a cool guy in person but to me he is just the wrong man for the dragon age games. He clearly had a vision that just didn't work and I will treat his comment as a form of acknowledgment/apology. Personally I think Bioware needs to find the right person but I know that he [Laidlaw] is lead on DA3 so to me that franchise is DOA. I will just treat DAO as a one time thing and leave it at that.

That said the blame does not falls squarely on him. EA and Bioware has as much blame as him.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By eminenssi

@Mordukai said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

At least they're willing to admit that they messed up. From Laidlaw's comments, it seems like some of those design decisions were made in haste, which makes sense considering that game had at most 18 months of active development. However, the major one for me isn't the lack of environment variety nor the endless waves of enemies (both still fairly significant issues), but how the element of choice basically boils down to intent more than anything else, since literally every plot point of note is out of Hawke's control. If they can bother to fix that one, and then make their story not have the single most facepalmingly stupid ending of any Bioware game, I will consider Dragon Age III to be redeemed, regardless of whatever other problems it may end up having.

After Brent Knowles (that's the dude who was lead on DAO) left Bioware because he did not like the direction EA and Bioware were going to take DA2 they [Bioware] purposely put Laidlaw as lead because he is the one that wanted, and took, Dragon Age into what it is today. It is clear that Laidlaw vision was not in synch with fans as the sales numbers clearly show, I believe DA2 numbers only reached about 50% of DAO numbers, that DA2 was just not where the game needed to go.

Frankly DA2 was a PR disaster from the get go. By giving it the title they did Bioware made fans think this is going to be a successor to their most successful game. In truth DA2 has nothing to to with it's predecessor. TO me DA2 actually felt like a side story and I might have not hated as much as I did if it was so. Bioware could have just named it Dragon Age: Chronicles of Kirkwall and treat it as a new franchise made better suited for consoles while working on a proper DAO sequel as. I think we can all agree that while DAO worked on consoles it feel clunky and tacked on though I must give credit for Edge of Reality for taking a game that was design, for the better part of 4 years, on a PC for PC and some how made it work.

Laidlaw might be a cool guy in person but to me he is just the wrong man for the dragon age games. He clearly had a vision that just didn't work and I will treat his comment as a form of acknowledgment/apology. Personally I think Bioware needs to find the right person but I know that he [Laidlaw] is lead on DA3 so to me that franchise is DOA. I will just treat DAO as a one time thing and leave it at that.

That said the blame does not falls squarely on him. EA and Bioware has as much blame as him.

Pretty much the best summation of what apparently went on behind the scenes. I also thought after getting to play DA2 how much of an shitstorm they could have avoided if they had sidebranded it as an offshoot set in the Dragon Age universe. Expecting the exactly same formula that worked with Mass Effect work with DA as well was just assheaded logic.

I think Bioware is at a crossroads at the moment, it's clear they are aware of their loyal RPG nerd fanbase that has supported them for years, but their ambition to expand their fanbase is very evident as well. We'll see will the latter make them give up on the more traditional RPG all together. With the doctors appointing people like Mike Laidlaw and Jennifer Hepler to do Brent Knowles' work, it does make me rather cynical and veer towards believing that DA:O being lucky hit-theory.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mazik765

@Deleth: So you necroed a thread over 2 months old so you could post flame-bait?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mordukai

@Catfish666 said:

@Mordukai said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Pretty much the best summation of what apparently went on behind the scenes. I also thought after getting to play DA2 how much of an shitstorm they could have avoided if they had sidebranded it as an offshoot set in the Dragon Age universe. Expecting the exactly same formula that worked with Mass Effect work with DA as well was just assheaded logic.

I think Bioware is at a crossroads at the moment, it's clear they are aware of their loyal RPG nerd fanbase that has supported them for years, but their ambition to expand their fanbase is very evident as well. We'll see will the latter make them give up on the more traditional RPG all together. With the doctors appointing people like Mike Laidlaw and Jennifer Hepler to do Brent Knowles' work, it does make me rather cynical and veer towards believing that DA:O being lucky hit-theory.

I think DAO was in development for about 5 years. I know Bioware was extremely surprised when it got the success and recognition it did. I remember I read an interview where the doctors said that they thought DAO was actually going to tank. Oddly enough the company that actually ensured DAO was to have the sales number it did was also responsible for ruing it. Of course I am talking about EA. If you notice, before the EA buyout DAO was always talked about as a PC only game and only after Bioware got bought by EA then a console version rumors started popping. I do know that PC gamers were miffed because the PC version got purposely delayed because EA wanted all three version out at the same time. In actuality the PC version of DAO was done and done, ready to ship, a full year before the game actually shipped. That's why the PC version is the one that's also the more polished of the three. The dev team had a full year devoted just for bug cleaning while the bulk of the team went off to do the DLC and other Bioware projects.

You know what though man. I love DAO so much that I am willing laidlaw a chance to rectify his mistakes. My only hope is that EA, Bioware, and Laidlaw took all that negative backlash from the fans that now DA3 will get the time it needs to become a game worthy of the Dragon Age name.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
    BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys!

Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate II...

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By Blackout62

@Anund said:

Apparently there have been some discussions at the official Dragon Age forums and the lead dev decided to chime in.

Now there's an understatement.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BrockNRolla

Dragon Age 2 was an awful game and they should feel bad about having put it out.

slyely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72  Edited By slyely

All I know is with Origins I wanted to explore everything, and I was always ready to see more of the story. With DA2 I got bored about halfway through, had to take a break and come back to it later. Even after finishing it later it was more of, "I just want to see the end of the story" then anything, while not fully enjoying the game. I think my breaking point was definitely the lack of environments compared to Origins. I understand that all games reuse assets, but did we have to meander around the same town for the many, many hours it took people to beat the game.

I really hope DA3 is more like Origins in that respect, but I think they may have lost my pre-order...I'll just wait and see next time.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By avidwriter

@Swoxx said:

Consoles.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#74  Edited By benspyda

@DonPixel said:

“If I’m going to piss you guys off, it’s going to be because I still firmly believe that RPGs do need to be more accessible to new players,” Laidlaw adds. “Not diminished, but made less imposing and less terrifying to new players.

I'm fucking tired of this cliche.. KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.

That's very true. Who are they targeting with that game?

Also Skyrim sold tons and that is accessible and deep. You can have both. In most cases why DAII failed was because it was lazy in every way possible. That and the writing, areas and story were so boring.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By eminenssi

@Mordukai said:

@Catfish666 said:

@Mordukai said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

I think DAO was in development for about 5 years. I know Bioware was extremely surprised when it got the success and recognition it did. I remember I read an interview where the doctors said that they thought DAO was actually going to tank. Oddly enough the company that actually ensured DAO was to have the sales number it did was also responsible for ruing it. Of course I am talking about EA. If you notice, before the EA buyout DAO was always talked about as a PC only game and only after Bioware got bought by EA then a console version rumors started popping. I do know that PC gamers were miffed because the PC version got purposely delayed because EA wanted all three version out at the same time. In actuality the PC version of DAO was done and done, ready to ship, a full year before the game actually shipped. That's why the PC version is the one that's also the more polished of the three. The dev team had a full year devoted just for bug cleaning while the bulk of the team went off to do the DLC and other Bioware projects.

You know what though man. I love DAO so much that I am willing laidlaw a chance to rectify his mistakes. My only hope is that EA, Bioware, and Laidlaw took all that negative backlash from the fans that now DA3 will get the time it needs to become a game worthy of the Dragon Age name.

I hear you, man, having sank few hundred hours to DA:O + Awakenings myself. Fingers crossed that they'll realize inside BW what made DA:O tick and that it was a large polished world with fairly complex mechanics. It's funny that they make mistakes like DA2, when there's examples such as DA:O, TES:Oblivion and new Fallouts that prove that even on consoles there is demand for fairly hardcore RPGs. So can't really blame EA for pressuring them to do that console port either, but what needs to die is the thinking inside studios that games for consoles have to be simplified.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#76  Edited By Hailinel

As much as I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, Bioware lost me before the game was even released when they announced that aspects like the multiple origins and races were being done away with in favor of a Commander Shepard-like protagonist in Hawke. And the more I heard, the less interested I became. But once the game was released and I read up on details of the story, I am very, very glad that I didn't sucker myself into spending $60 on an RPG with a story that I could only describe as inept if I'm feeling generous.

And it's not just about the insane ending. The very structure of the way that the plot is told through flashbacks undermines the very concept. We know from the start that Hawke becomes the Champion of Kirkwall. It lessens the reward when you know it's coming from miles away. But first, Hawke must rise up, and the game's writers went over the top in humbling a character that didn't necessarily need all of this humbling.

1. During the escape from the Blight, one sibling is killed.
    2. It's revealed that Hawke's uncle is a chucklefuck that lost his family's estate.
    3. During the Deep Roads expedition, the other sibling either dies, becomes a Grey Warden, or gets forced into the Circle of Magi / is a prick and joins the templars. Either way, say adios.
    4. Hawke's mother is murdered by a serial killer that then sews her body back together Frankenstein-style and reanimates her.

Regarding number four in particular, was it really necessary to take it as far as they did? Yes, blood mages are bad. They're also apparently fucking everywhere in Kirkwall despite them not exactly being kosher. But you know? They're not crazy enough. Let's have one hack up the hero's mother and bring her back to life for some hot hot necrophiliac lovin'. That'll drag Hawke into the pits for sure.

I mean, when well done, such story developments can be beneficial, but Bioware basically establishes Hawke's character through the systematic destruction of everyone (s)he holds dear (or in the case of Carver, tolerates) with the subtlety of a slasher movie.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By swoxx

@avidwriter said:

@Swoxx said:

Consoles.

Consoles was just as much a thing when DA:O came out.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Deleth

@mazik765 said:

@Deleth: So you necroed a thread over 2 months old so you could post flame-bait?

Because obviously it being "just" two months old, still being on of the top threads on the DA 2 Forum and merely answering to it is "necroing". Hey let's just close this entire forum, since most of the threads here are extremly old anyway!

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mazik765

@Deleth said:

@mazik765 said:

Because obviously it being "just" two months old, still being on of the top threads on the DA 2 Forum and merely answering to it is "necroing". Hey let's just close this entire forum, since most of the threads here are extremly old anyway!

Never said it was against the rules, just not really good internet etiquette. Why not make a new thread entitled 'why Dragon Age 2 hates puppies' and you can post all the flame-bait you want there. Except that flame-baiting definitely is against the rules....

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Deleth

@mazik765 said:

@Deleth said:

@mazik765 said:

Never said it was against the rules, just not really good internet etiquette. Why not make a new thread entitled 'why Dragon Age 2 hates puppies' and you can post all the flame-bait you want there. Except that flame-baiting definitely is against the rules....

You seem to be rather butthurt about me not sharing your opinion on this matter. I was merely stating mine, if you interpret it as flame baiting since obviously you thought this pile of garbage was good and therefore it has to be good it's not my fault that you're wrong.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mazik765

@Deleth said:

@mazik765 said:

@Deleth said:

@mazik765 said:

You seem to be rather butthurt about me not sharing your opinion on this matter. I was merely stating mine, if you interpret it as flame baiting since obviously you thought this pile of garbage was good and therefore it has to be good it's not my fault that you're wrong.

Dude, I never stated my opinion. But I'm impressed you've managed to counter accusations of flame-baiting with flame-bait.

phonicpod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By phonicpod

Designing and building games is hard.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#83  Edited By Hailinel

@phonicpod said:

Designing and building games is hard.

It is, but that doesn't excuse the shoddy bullshit that is Dragon Age II's story, or the inept environment recycling, or...

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#84  Edited By musdy

Origins is overrated.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Gargantuan

That's nice and constructive way to resurrect an old thread.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#86  Edited By AndrewB

That was tantamount to randomly spouting the big N word.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@AndrewB said:

That was tantamount to randomly spouting the big N word.

But that was vital information, he had to share it with the world, in this old-ass thread.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#88  Edited By trace

There was no need for this thread to be bumped.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.