Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Speak badly about Bioware? "We'll just take your games away, thx"

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By FateOfNever

I really hate it when people read something like this and cannot be bothered to think beyond the scope of what they were told by one individual.  "He said what?  And that got him suspended!?  This is an OUTRAGE!"  Nevermind that he may have said something worse than that, nevermind that he may have said something absolutely vicious, may have threatened people, may have alluded to pirating the game, or pirating future games, or may have been making racist/sexist/whatever remarks, that he may have been saying who knows what, or implying who knows what, and so on, and so forth.  No, clearly he's telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, because he's a forum troll, and they NEVER LIE.  

That point aside - they legally have the right to do this.  The TOS and EULA of the games and of the forums give them the right to do this.  This probably wasn't as simple as "He said something bad about the game so he got suspended" anyway, so that should also probably stop.  On one hand, I honestly have absolutely no sympathy for forum trolls.  On the other hand, should he really be suspended, or even banned from a single player game for something like this?  Eh, probably not, no.  Even if I find it funny, and think it's sweet, sweet justice brought down upon someone that deserves to actually be punished for their actions, I'd say just take away all privileges from all online related functions.  Forums, multiplayer, etc.  Though even then that probably wouldn't actually ever make someone like this think about the stuff that they're about to say before they say it, but, at least it would be some kind of punishment for someone that deserves it.  I believe people's actions actually should be punishable in some meaningful way and not just "Get off our official forums."

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By MiniPato
    @FateOfNever said:

" I really hate it when people read something like this and cannot be bothered to think beyond the scope of what they were told by one individual.  "He said what?  And that got him suspended!?  This is an OUTRAGE!"  Nevermind that he may have said something worse than that, nevermind that he may have said something absolutely vicious, may have threatened people, may have alluded to pirating the game, or pirating future games, or may have been making racist/sexist/whatever remarks, that he may have been saying who knows what, or implying who knows what, and so on, and so forth.  No, clearly he's telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, because he's a forum troll, and they NEVER LIE.    That point aside - they legally have the right to do this.  The TOS and EULA of the games and of the forums give them the right to do this.  This probably wasn't as simple as "He said something bad about the game so he got suspended" anyway, so that should also probably stop.  On one hand, I honestly have absolutely no sympathy for forum trolls.  On the other hand, should he really be suspended, or even banned from a single player game for something like this?  Eh, probably not, no.  Even if I find it funny, and think it's sweet, sweet justice brought down upon someone that deserves to actually be punished for their actions, I'd say just take away all privileges from all online related functions.  Forums, multiplayer, etc.  Though even then that probably wouldn't actually ever make someone like this think about the stuff that they're about to say before they say it, but, at least it would be some kind of punishment for someone that deserves it.  I believe people's actions actually should be punishable in some meaningful way and not just "Get off our official forums." "

The appeal to ignorance goes both ways. I don't know if he's lying and you don't know if he's telling the truth, therefore both arguments are of equal validity and value. Even if he's presenting a one sided story to make himself look like a victim. Banning someone from a single player game based off of behavior on an internet forum is ludicrous. I'm sure everyone would like to reach through their monitors and punch internet trolls in the face, but that doesn't make it right. Forums should be moderated in forums, not outside forums. If a child misbehaves in school you suspend them, you don't go into their house and take their toys away. Do you think forum sites should be allowed to lock up your computer to really stick it to you cause you misbehaved on a forum? "Get off our official forums"  is all the power the should have. It's not going to discipline people, but that's not their job. Bans are to keep the unwanted off the forums and multiplayer games. What good does banning from a single player only game do? It's a failed attempt at disciplining.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By salad10203

Wow, just got finished with a Dragon Age: Origins session and its sad to see that Bioware has taken such a downwards turn.  BTW, their response obviously infers the answer was "Yes, we did sell our soul to EA"

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#154  Edited By TheHT

Whether or not the story is incomplete or different, that they can do that, for any amount of time, for something separate from the game itself, is really fucked up.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#155  Edited By Slaker117
    @MiniPato: We try to make the best decisions we can, but ultimately people like you and me are insignificant in this market. The industry seems set in this way, I don't see it changing now. It's a little bit sobering looking back and realizing that we were witnessing it reach this tipping point all along. I don't think it's that bad though. Games that I care about are still coming out and I personally am not restricted unreasonably in playing them. This one case looks a little shocking, but in practice, how much effect is it going to have? I guess I can't judge for sure, but I don't see it bothering me or normal people anytime soon.

I don't know, people should have the right to play their games no matter what the fuck they say in any forum, but that's not going to stop me from getting the next EA game I think I'll really enjoy. Much respect to you if you continue to stand against, because it does seem messed up, but I'm here because I like fun games. The way I operate, DRM or EULAs and I don't butt heads even if I don't like them, and though I try to be discerning and thoughtful, in the end I feel like the machine is already in motion. This looks like an edge case and I believe/hope the general restrictions going forwards will be more reasonable. Meanwhile, I might as well just play my damn games. Also, sleep.
    beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By beeftothetaco
    @Andorski said:

"Doubt anyone who hates Bioware/EA for doing this will stop themselves from buying the next big game from this develop/publisher.  Speak with your wallets." 

Well I would, but its either EA or Activision. Sorry Bobby.

Also, that really blows. Hopefully this guy will get compensated somehow.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Lukeweizer

Fucking filthy that they can take away stuff you pruchased. But I guess they can put anything in a Terms of Agreement contract as long as you agree.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By JoelTGM

HAHHAHAHA

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#159  Edited By MEATBALL

I honestly don't find myself caring in the slightest. :/

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#160  Edited By CL60
    @MiniPato said:
    " @FateOfNever said:

" I really hate it when people read something like this and cannot be bothered to think beyond the scope of what they were told by one individual.  "He said what?  And that got him suspended!?  This is an OUTRAGE!"  Nevermind that he may have said something worse than that, nevermind that he may have said something absolutely vicious, may have threatened people, may have alluded to pirating the game, or pirating future games, or may have been making racist/sexist/whatever remarks, that he may have been saying who knows what, or implying who knows what, and so on, and so forth.  No, clearly he's telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, because he's a forum troll, and they NEVER LIE.    That point aside - they legally have the right to do this.  The TOS and EULA of the games and of the forums give them the right to do this.  This probably wasn't as simple as "He said something bad about the game so he got suspended" anyway, so that should also probably stop.  On one hand, I honestly have absolutely no sympathy for forum trolls.  On the other hand, should he really be suspended, or even banned from a single player game for something like this?  Eh, probably not, no.  Even if I find it funny, and think it's sweet, sweet justice brought down upon someone that deserves to actually be punished for their actions, I'd say just take away all privileges from all online related functions.  Forums, multiplayer, etc.  Though even then that probably wouldn't actually ever make someone like this think about the stuff that they're about to say before they say it, but, at least it would be some kind of punishment for someone that deserves it.  I believe people's actions actually should be punishable in some meaningful way and not just "Get off our official forums." "

The appeal to ignorance goes both ways. I don't know if he's lying and you don't know if he's telling the truth, therefore both arguments are of equal validity and value. Even if he's presenting a one sided story to make himself look like a victim. Banning someone from a single player game based off of behavior on an internet forum is ludicrous. I'm sure everyone would like to reach through their monitors and punch internet trolls in the face, but that doesn't make it right. Forums should be moderated in forums, not outside forums. If a child misbehaves in school you suspend them, you don't go into their house and take their toys away. Do you think forum sites should be allowed to lock up your computer to really stick it to you cause you misbehaved on a forum? "Get off our official forums"  is all the power the should have. It's not going to discipline people, but that's not their job. Bans are to keep the unwanted off the forums and multiplayer games. What good does banning from a single player only game do? It's a failed attempt at disciplining. "

But they aren't banning him from the game.. his account is banned, so he can't activate it. Which makes perfect sense. He would just have to make another account if he wanted to activate it. It would have been the same with other bioware games, and any game with online activation in general. You can't activate a game on a banned account.

@salad10203 said:
    " Wow, just got finished with a Dragon Age: Origins session and its sad to see that Bioware has taken such a downwards turn.  BTW, their response obviously infers the answer was "Yes, we did sell our soul to EA" "

Same thing would have happened with Origins if somebody got banned. They wouldn't be able to activate it. Since the account is...banned. 

Did you guys not read? He didn't have the game and then get it taken from him. He didn't have the game yet, then his account got banned. So he can't activate it on that account, because it's banned. 

But regardless of that, he's only banned for 72 hours.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#161  Edited By Brendan
    @CL60: Please, stop being sensible.  The responses you're getting are just depressing me.
    1UStasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By 1UStasis
    @PenguinDust said:
    " This is all part of the business premise that you don't own a game (or any other media that can be controlled digitally), you only have permission to utilize it.  That permission can be revoked at anytime by the IP owner.  I call it the "It's My Ball and If You Don't Play By My Rules, You Don't Play at All" law of business.  Expect to see it expand into other forms of communication and entertainment.   Look at the new Nintendo 3DS.  It has the ability to "brick" your system remotely if it senses that you might have used illegal software or homebrew capable hardware. "

Nintendo bricking your 3DS is slightly different but still bullshit. It would be interesting to see if this happens to enough people for some kind of class action lawsuit and lay to rest whether video games are property or services.

...Giantbomb sold their souls to the Whiskey Media Devil!!!!!! *ducks*
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By xyzygy

Man, this is messed up. I can't believe they can do this if you bought and paid for the content already. They're basically robbing you.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

There is an accept button for the ToS so technically they aren't doing anything wrong. Was this a little bit too far? Yes. Was the guy being a dick for what I would assume is no good reason? Yes. I see no problems here.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By xyzygy
    @zAMERICANLIONz said:
    " There is an accept button for the ToS so technically they aren't doing anything wrong. Was this a little bit too far? Yes. Was the guy being a dick for what I would assume is no good reason? Yes. I see no problems here. "
    Last I checked, there is no "ToS accept button" at a retailer's cash register.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By pwnasaurus

why are some people celebrating this? are you people that stupid?

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

I absolutely agree that there's a very serious problem with the way companies are able to literally destroy the product you pay quite a bit of money for if you don't do exactly what they want you to do (spelled out in the user agreement).  I think that is completely unreasonable, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it from my position except not support the companies with policies like that (i.e. not participate in the economy).

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By thebeast

Seems like people are being a bit sensationalist about this - sure, it's a badly worded and not particularly well thought-out ToS, but until they actually act on this it's hardly newsworthy is it?  
    It's also pretty unlikely that this is legally enforceable if indeed it was intended as it is worded.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#169  Edited By Jazz

I'm...pretty sure that's skirting the boundaries of legality. Taking away someone's licence, which they paid in full for, in relation to a couple of angry words on a website is...interesting. I don't know how American courts would handle this (if anyone would actually care) but I would think most EU courts would at least consider ye olde 'Proportionality' argument. 
    Interesting

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#170  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Fascists!

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Jaktajj

I don't understand the problem here, if you walked into any business and said 'You guys are fucking shit.' You're gonna get thrown out. I'm glad Bioware/EA are showing people you can't behind forums while bad mouthing people and get away with it.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By EvilTwin

Hard to believe someone would defend this.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#173  Edited By CL60

Once again, everybody ignores my posts. 

/facepalm. 

They banned his account! Obviously he wont be able to activate the game on a banned account  >.< It's the same with any damn online activation for any game, even Origins. He trolled, and got banned for 72 hours, so in that time he can't access his account to activate the game. WHY IS THIS SO BAD? 

It seems pretty normal to me.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Jadeskye

he was a dick but he's still entitled to his dick opinion. Don't like this at all.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@zAMERICANLIONz said:
    " There is an accept button for the ToS so technically they aren't doing anything wrong. Was this a little bit too far? Yes. Was the guy being a dick for what I would assume is no good reason? Yes. I see no problems here. "
    Strange. When I buy games from the shops, I do not see 'accept terms of service' -buttons or have to sign any contracts.  It is only when I have paid for a product and have opened it (thus making it nonreturnable), I see the legal bullshit.  
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By emem

Wow, that's something new.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By EvilTwin
    @CL60:  Because nothing you say on an internet forum should have any bearing on being able to play a single-player game that you purchased legally.
    Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Lautaro
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @CL60:  Because nothing you say on an internet forum should have any bearing on being able to play a single-player game that you purchased legally. "
    Pretty much sums it up.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By GunslingerPanda

So basically they answered his question with a Yes.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By borodin

This seems like a really good incentive to make a separate account for smack-talk on the forums, if smack talking is what you're about anyways 

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#181  Edited By buft

theres one guy that made a bad dialogue choices, always be selecting the diamond 

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Subjugation

Now internet try-hards might learn to filter what they write. It's one thing to create a thread with legitimate criticism, but it's another thing entirely to just troll and flame. Did he honestly not expect some sort of reprimand? 

And anyone who knows anything understands that even if he did get "banned" from his single player RPG he can just crack it and move on with life. But hey, apparently he hated it in the first place so no big loss right? And if it was truly account wide and he lost access to some multiplayer games, maybe he would learn that he shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. At the end of the day, civil people have nothing to worry about. 

TIL that being a dick on the internet occasionally has consequences. Go figure.

snotboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By snotboogie

I'm a BioWare fan but this is unacceptable. Is this really where we want the games industry to go?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By ryanwho
    @Axxol said:

" @DrPockets000 said:

" Owned. 

Logically, if he hates Bioware he wouldn't care if he lost access to his game, amirite? "
    Indeed.  "
    Logically, if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't mind being watched, right? Indeed. Pushovers can acclimate to anything. But for normal people, it doesn't sit right to purchase something then have it taken away so pettily. People defending this remind me of poor people in the midwest defending the insurance companies that exploit them. People using this incident as rationalization for piracy look pretty stupid too. Listen bro, you pirate because you're too lazy and unskilled to have a decent job and pay for software. You can justify piracy however you want, but the real reason is selfish every time.
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#185  Edited By korolev

That's not right. That's not right at all.  

I agree that the forums run by BioWare are the property of BioWare and EA and that they can ban who they wish - it might be unfair, but it's their forums. However, if this is true, then they have locked him out of content he paid for

Okay, ban his account, but then allow him to download the content he paid for. It's his. He paid for it.   

EDIT: Okay - lock him out of customer support. Lock him out of any FUTURE DLC. Have nothing to do with the guy. BUT... he paid for the game already. Yes, it was rather stupid of him to go onto their forums and slam them, and he should have expected them to ban him from their forums (since the BioWare forums are owned by... ya know, BioWare, there's not "freedom of speech" angle here). Yes, he was probably being rude and stupid. But if he bought the product... then he bought the product. It's his.  

Imagine if you bought a car from Car Manufacturer A. You then proceed to say how you don't like Car Manufacturer A and you think they have sold out and have declined in quality. Does that give Car Manufacturer A the right to... I don't know, void your warranty and take away your spare tire? No, of course not! 

BioWare, I like you as a company. I really am enjoying Dragon Age II a whole heck of a lot. But this is a bad move. Give this guy his content, THEN have nothing to do with him. 

EDIT 2: Okay, so he was only banned for 72 Hours? Then that's fine, if that's true. I suppose I overreacted - there is no "truth" on the internet now is there anymore? People can say anything. If it was only a temporary ban, then fine, good, ban him for a while. But.... if he did get locked out of the DLC content then that's bad.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By ectoplasma

I shared this on my facebook. Even if they are right and this guys behavior is not unproblematic, this is just a dick move and could have been handled differently. I don't approve of this. I suggest you share the original forum rank on your twitter/facebook/blog, too.

EOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By EOT
    @DrPockets000 said:
    " Owned. 

Logically, if he hates Bioware he wouldn't care if he lost access to his game, amirite? "
    Well...apart from the fact that he paid for it I guess. But I can see your point. 

Ultimately as it was DA2 he can't play he should really count himself lucky. Still a dickish move on BioWare/EA's part though.
    nmarchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By nmarchan

I cannot believe you people.  You honestly think a publisher should be able to keep you from playing a game you played 60 dollars for, because you say something bad about them on their forums?   

So much for ownership and consumer rights, I guess.   

This is insane.  

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
    deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheBlackPigeon said:
    " Forgive my inner cynic, but I think there's more to this that the person in question is not telling us.  "
    indeed
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trolls being punished is nice, but this sets a VERYscary precedent. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#192  Edited By armaan8014

Now my dream of joining Bioware has been broken.
     Bethesda, here I come!

nmarchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By nmarchan
    @Bamsen said:

" @TheBlackPigeon said:

" Forgive my inner cynic, but I think there's more to this that the person in question is not telling us.  "
    indeed "
    It doesn't actually matter. 

Being a jerk on the forums should affect your ability to post on the forums.  It shouldn't prevent you from playing a game you've already paid 60 dollars for.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#194  Edited By armaan8014
    @drag said:
    " Cool. "
    cool
    ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By ekajarmstro

I was waiting to buy Dragon Age 2 because I haven't quite beat the first one yet, but now I'm certainly not going to. I'm so sick of EA shutting down multiplayer servers to not let me play older online games that I want to (even though the stupid EA servers do nothing but marketing, the gaming is still peer to peer/the player hosts a server). Now they can just randomly (this case wasn't completely random, but there is nothing stopping them from having no reason) decide I'm not allowed to play a single player game too!? 

I probably won't buy an EA game until they change this. People say vote with your wallet, so it is about time.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#196  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Bioware = new Origin Systems.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By inkerman

Applying my unfinished law degree to this debate, what Bioware did may not necessarily be illegal per se, but it is a breach of contract (at least in Australia it would be). Bioware cannot revoke the initial contract between retailer (and by extension manufacturer) and consumer by superseding it with an EULA, which is what they've effectively done here. This of course doesn't apply to all EULAs, but in this case they have denied him the rights protected in the initial contract (the right to play and at least nominally own the game), without providing adequate revocation of the initial contract or consideration (sweet, sweet money).

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Turambar
    @CL60 said:
    " Once again, everybody ignores my posts. 

/facepalm. 

They banned his account! Obviously he wont be able to activate the game on a banned account  >.< It's the same with any damn online activation for any game, even Origins. He trolled, and got banned for 72 hours, so in that time he can't access his account to activate the game. WHY IS THIS SO BAD?  It seems pretty normal to me. "
    Because the time frame of the suspension is not what's important here.  Its the fact that forum moderation is carrying over to access to what you paid for that is stepping on nerves.  It does make perfect sense for someone not to be able to activate a game on a banned account, but why the hell is his forum posting ability not separate from the ability to activate and play games?  Yes, EULA and all that jazz, but this sets a really bad precedent for how games are managed.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By blueduck

Fuck Bioware, their games are going downhill anyway.

Avatar image for tragicallyerock
    TragicallyErock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#200  Edited By TragicallyErock
    @Turambar said:

" @CL60 said:

" Once again, everybody ignores my posts. 

/facepalm. 

They banned his account! Obviously he wont be able to activate the game on a banned account  >.< It's the same with any damn online activation for any game, even Origins. He trolled, and got banned for 72 hours, so in that time he can't access his account to activate the game. WHY IS THIS SO BAD?  It seems pretty normal to me. "
    Because the time frame of the suspension is not what's important here.  Its the fact that forum moderation is carrying over to access to what you paid for that is stepping on nerves.  It does make perfect sense for someone not to be able to activate a game on a banned account, but why the hell is his forum posting ability not separate from the ability to activate and play games?  Yes, EULA and all that jazz, but this sets a really bad precedent for how games are managed. "
    the time frame is TOTALLY what's important here.

All they did was give him a time-out in his room for being a bad boy, and said "no toys until you've had a chance to think about what you've done!"

If they had chained him to the dryer in the basement & threw away the key, we'd be having a different discussion. (although, it seems like many are having THIS discussion anyways)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.