Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

What is the deal with the UI for this game in the quick look?

tekkvicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tekkvicious

Please dont tell me this is the UI the game is shipping with? I couldn't help but notice how sloppy and dry it looked in the quick look, heres to hoping that was an older build of the game they were playing or something although my gut tells me otherwise.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

It is the final version. You should see the PC one... absolutely terrible. Console one is a bit better imo.  

Shame since the DA:O one was pretty good (aesthetically speaking of course). Hopefully they fixed the Codex scrolling/marking entries as read issue.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

I really don't see the problem. This game has been getting a whole lot of unwarranted shit talking.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " I really don't see the problem. This game has been getting a whole lot of unwarranted shit talking. "
    Same here it looked fine to me.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

" I really don't see the problem. This game has been getting a whole lot of unwarranted shit talking. "

I just don't think it matches the tone of the game at all. It looks too modern and clean and shiny for a game that is set in a medieval fantasy. The parchment and ink look of Origins was a much better fit.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dingofighter

As long as it's functional and doesn't look way out of place, I'm happy.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By daiphyer

What's up with people hating on this game much? I thought it looked fine. Really liked the abilities tree, and the combat is just what I wanted in the first place. I'm gonna love me some Dragon Age 2!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McGhee
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

I just don't think it matches the tone of the game at all. It looks too modern and clean and shiny for a game that is set in a medieval fantasy. The parchment and ink look of Origins was a much better fit. "
    I get your point, but if you look at the whole game in generally it looks way cleaner and smoother than the first one. Remember all the horrible textures and general gritty ass shit everywhere in the first game? Everything looked dirty, and I don't mean in the good, realistic way. I like the new, more stylized look of Dragon Age 2 and this UI seems to fit that style more. 
    tekkvicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tekkvicious

" @Enigma777 said:

I just don't think it matches the tone of the game at all. It looks too modern and clean and shiny for a game that is set in a medieval fantasy. The parchment and ink look of Origins was a much better fit. "
    I get your point, but if you look at the whole game in generally it looks way cleaner and smoother than the first one. Remember all the horrible textures and general gritty ass shit everywhere in the first game? Everything looked dirty, and I don't mean in the good, realistic way. I like the new, more stylized look of Dragon Age 2 and this UI seems to fit that style more.  "
    Looking back on the gritty textures in DA:O, I am starting to agree DA2 is probably a better looking game overall, just had to take off my nostalgia goggles for a bit.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yinstarrunner

It looks like something a 3rd-grader could whip up in an afternoon.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FritzDude

For the consoles i did not mind the UI, but the video i saw for the PC version looked like crap, but that could probably be not the final version... I dunno.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    " @Enigma777 said:

I get your point, but if you look at the whole game in generally it looks way cleaner and smoother than the first one. Remember all the horrible textures and general gritty ass shit everywhere in the first game? Everything looked dirty, and I don't mean in the good, realistic way. I like the new, more stylized look of Dragon Age 2 and this UI seems to fit that style more.  "
    I couldn't agree more, if I had one major issue with DA:O it was with the UI and interface. The new ones seems so much easier to use, very clean and simple.  

If the only thing that people can find to complain about is them changing the UI then I think Bioware have done pretty well in an age when the vocal minority with bitch and fucking moan about anything that has changed in a new game. Remember all the moaning about Mass Effect 2 before it came out, that was a terrible game wasn't it...
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By damswedon

You can tell that everyone has different health and stamina. That alone makes it 10 times better than Origins' "everyone has the same amount of health, but no they don't."

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @damswedon said:
    " You can tell that everyone has different health and stamina. That alone makes it 10 times better than Origins' "everyone has the same amount of health, but no they don't." "
    Good point. Although, you start to kind of know after using party members for a while in Origins.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By damswedon
    @JJWeatherman said:

" @damswedon said:

" You can tell that everyone has different health and stamina. That alone makes it 10 times better than Origins' "everyone has the same amount of health, but no they don't." "

Good point. Although, you start to kind of know after using party members for a while in Origins. "
    Yeah but by the point you learnt that stuff the combat had already just become a flowchart of; 
    • Paralyse Leader + group when you can.
    • Attack one dude until he was almost dead
    • Cast the spell that causes him to explode when he dies + infect more guys later on.
    • Clean-up and use the archer + ice magic to stop dudes from attacking.
    applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By applet0n

I actually agree. I felt that the UI was a bit lacking, but I'm not sure exactly what it was that put me off. Still haven't been able to articulate it properly.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KimChi4U

The things I'm looking for in DA2 have nothing to do with UI or aesthetics. I'm hoping for as good a story as the first, a few combat tweaks (spending time positioning a rogue for back stabs was a pain), and more room for variety in your party selection. It bothered me that the options for healers meant either making certain story choices, ruining your damage mage by making her a healer, or being a healing mage as the main character. 

And, yes, I hope that combat is less formulaic than the first one. Cone of Frost, Bash, rinse and repeat. 

Oh, and no more netherworld mage areas....whatever that place was called.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By avantegardener

I think it's pretty clean and manageable, it's also trying to encourage people who actively avoided the 1st one on console. If you like your UI more Metallica and screen printed T's of Wolves howling at things, perhaps the new Witcher will be more your flavour. Here's the orignals Witchers UI:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

As far as im concerned the UI can suck all it wants,as long as they didnt change the gameplay too much. If its gonna be the same scenario as Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 i will never buy a Bioware game...until Mass Effect 3 comes out.  
    Fortunately from what i have seen in the quick look they didn't seem to have changed it, so here is hoping. But yeah, UI does seem inferior to Origins. As for it being worse then the PC version.

No Caption Provided
    Seems ok.
    avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By avantegardener
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " As far as im concerned the UI can suck all it once,as long as they didnt change the gameplay too much. If its gonna be the same scenario as Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 i will never buy a Bioware game...until Mass Effect 3 comes out.  
    Fortunately from what i have seen in the quick look they didn't seem to have changed it, so here is hoping. But yeah, UI does seem inferior to Origins. As for it being worse then the PC version.
    No Caption Provided
    Seems ok. "
    Behold, my taskbar of wraith! 1 5 4 4 6 2. 1st I've seen of this version, they certainly were'nt kidding when they said 'PC' version.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FunExplosions

Ugly as hell. They could at least move that shit out of the way.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Hopefully the PC mod community will fix it soon after launch.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti

It looks like a UI someone made for a game in alpha that was tailored for the bargain bin anyway.
    I can see it taking them all of what, 10 minutes to whip it up?

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeeGee

Fuck this game being great, the litle bar at the bottom of the screen isn't to my liking. BIOWARE FUCKED UP.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    @Origina1Penguin: You mean like they did in the first one because the UI on the PC was exactly the same as it was on the consoles and therefore crap.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Animasta
    @KimChi4U: luckily for you, the rogue has an ability to automatically position someone for a backstab!
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wuddel

Yeah it is not pretty. But seems functional.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By Cincaid

This is the Internet. People are complaining about everything between heaven and hell 24/7.

:(
    ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By ChaosDent

The on-screen UI doesn't look fantastic (or even remotely fantasy themed), but at least I like the way it disappears after a while. There's clearly some console-focus going on here, the diamond shaped icons are larger and clearer than the squares in Origins, but arranged horizontally you create a lot of dead space, which can make mousing over them harder. The menus were OK, and looked pretty console-navigable. Hopefully Bioware doesn't pull a Mass Effect 2 and forget to map keyboard keys to all the individual pages. 

I won't be buying the game on PC for at least a year anyway, so I'll probably rent it on PS3. Hopefully modders can fix any problems by the time the complete edition is on sale.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel

Any time you make a dramatic aesthetic shift, there's going to be a backlash.  This isn't anywhere near as extreme as, say, Windwaker's, but people got over that and I expect people will get over the UI graphic changes in DA2 as well.  The graphics aren't really what concern me, anyway.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @Buck_Sexington:
    I haven't looked into any UI mods for Origins, but I might if I go back to play it some more. My main problem with the new game is how much space is taken up on the HUD by the health bars. Maybe the pictures I've seen are just misleading. It's not a big deal, but I still don't like it.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60

Oh come on people... it's not bad at all..

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Malakhii

Maybe Bioware needs to call Dino Ignacio up to help with the UI. Honestly though, it looks alright but I won't be able to pass real judgement until I've stared at it for 30 hours. 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By phrosnite

Yeah, the UI is the only thing I don't like about the game so far... everything else should be amazing!

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @avantegardener said:
    " I think it's pretty clean and manageable, it's also trying to encourage people who actively avoided the 1st one on console. If you like your UI more Metallica and screen printed T's of Wolves howling at things, perhaps the new Witcher will be more your flavour. Here's the orignals Witchers UI:
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Fuck yeah that's what I want out of a WRPG UI.  So much information conveyed there. I love it.
    BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BigLemon
    @Daiphyer said:
    " What's up with people hating on this game much? I thought it looked fine. Really liked the abilities tree, and the combat is just what I wanted in the first place. I'm gonna love me some Dragon Age 2! "
    People just freak out whenever things change.  

I personally like the new art style and redesign. No, it's not the same as DA: O. But that's fine. Sequels should have some sort of innovation. I'd expect that from Bioware.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mazik765
    @DeShawn2ks said:
    Same here it looked fine to me. "
    This. It seems like people don't want to like it for some reason :S
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Edwardryu

hahaha... this is so funny. people complain about UI just like ME 2 is very bad, huh? so now, ME 2 is bad? NO. you think that UI is bad, you have a problem. eventually, you don't know much better than developers. they make the game, remember? 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think it's a bit glossy for the tone of the game, but apart from that I don't think it looks that bad.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sameeeeam

It seems fine to me.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlashDance

The only thing that bothers me are the life bars on the bottom of the screen. There's a reason why they're usually on the top, that's to avoid getting in the way of the action. 
    Other than that, I think it looks functional. Bland, sure, but we'll get used to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.