Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Wow

senote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By senote

I see premium DLC content on the Xbox Live Marketplace today and the game isn't even out in the UK, real classy EA & Bioware.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

It's 2011 man. Everyone's doing it. :(

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By blueduck

Why not? We've seen time and time again developers can take a dump, slap a price tag on it and call it extra content, and the people will still go crazy for it. No real point in making one whole good game when you can just chop it up into pieces and sell each one at a premium. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

It's been on the PS store since last tuesday. =/

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeeGee
    @blueduck said:

" Why not? We've seen time and time again developers can take a dump, slap a price tag on it and call it extra content, and the people will still go crazy for it. No real point in making one whole good game when you can just chop it up into pieces and sell each one at a premium.  "

That's not how premium content works at all, but I see you want to be cool and jaded, so whatever. In reality, the developers aren't just sitting around playing tetris on their computers when the game goes gold. They have time to create small extra things to put into the game, because what else are they going to do? They won't get paid for sitting on their asses until it's time to develop a new game.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coaxmetal

Late to the party, most people got their complaining out on the news article about this. 

Honestly though, most people don't realize how this works. After a game is finished, it has to go through cert and lots of other stuff, that takes several months (especially xbox certification). So, you have a team of developers who worked on the game and are done now, months before the game came out. You put them to work on DLC, they get some content done before the game ships. That DLC gets through cert really quickly, since by then the final product made it so its easy to get the DLC approved. So then you have DLC content that was never going to be in the main game, but can be released at the same time. Then you do that, and people complain. 

The solution, of course, would be to make the DLC the same way they do, but then don't announce it or release it until a while after the game is released. People will complain less when then don't have access to that content until later (although, tbh, most of the DLC that gets done that quickly, including the DLC you refer to, doesn't seem very interesting or necessary).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, now you can enjoy all this premium content right from the beginning of the game! And without having to wait for stuff to download before starting up the disc! Why, you should be thanking EA for being so gracious to you!  

(cough, sarcasm, cough). 

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mazik765

...I'm done arguing in threads like this.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dallas_Raines

DA:O had even more stuff to buy, day one.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @DeeGee said:
    " @blueduck said:
    " Why not? We've seen time and time again developers can take a dump, slap a price tag on it and call it extra content, and the people will still go crazy for it. No real point in making one whole good game when you can just chop it up into pieces and sell each one at a premium.  "
    That's not how premium content works at all, but I see you want to be cool and jaded, so whatever. In reality, the developers aren't just sitting around playing tetris on their computers when the game goes gold. They have time to create small extra things that put into the game, because what else are they going to do? They won't get paid for sitting on their asses until it's time to develop a new game. "
    @Riboflavin said:
    " Late to the party, most people got their complaining out on the news article about this.  Honestly though, most people don't realize how this works. After a game is finished, it has to go through cert and lots of other stuff, that takes several months (especially xbox certification). So, you have a team of developers who worked on the game and are done now, months before the game came out. You put them to work on DLC, they get some content done before the game ships. That DLC gets through cert really quickly, since by then the final product made it so its easy to get the DLC approved. So then you have DLC content that was never going to be in the main game, but can be released at the same time. Then you do that, and people complain.  The solution, of course, would be to make the DLC the same way they do, but then don't announce it or release it until a while after the game is released. People will complain less when then don't have access to that content until later (although, tbh, most of the DLC that gets done that quickly, including the DLC you refer to, doesn't seem very interesting or necessary). "
    ^^^ These.

Seriously, if you people (such as the topic creator) don't understand how game development and distribution works, don't bitch about it. The rest of us are sick of hearing it.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

So, what's the problem?

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blueduck
    @DeeGee said:
    " @blueduck said:
    That's not how premium content works at all, but I see you want to be cool and jaded, so whatever. In reality, the developers aren't just sitting around playing tetris on their computers when the game goes gold. They have time to create small extra things that put into the game, because what else are they going to do? They won't get paid for sitting on their asses until it's time to develop a new game. "
    I can see you want to be upbeat and optimistic, so whatever. I've literally been fed that same "the developers aren't just sitting around" line forever and it doesn't seem to add up. When did sellable downloadable content come out? I would say around the time Xbox live first came out and back then games rarely had any dl content and certainly not at launch (or before launch). Now under your argument they should have been putting out more content right? I mean the same downtime would have been around 6-7 years ago, so then why wasn't even half of the dl content that is released today released back then? I'm guessing seeing Oblivion sell horse armor for a nice profit changed everyones minds about dl content and what could be done with it.  
    There can be absolutely no argument against the fact that micro-transaction systems make more money and that is what game companies are moving to with their constant pushing of dl content on top of your original game purchase. You attacking my original post is like saying you think a business won't take advantage of way to make more money!  
    I actually don't even hate dl content but I do hate the effect its starting to have. Think about it this way, if a company knows they can just sell whatever they don't fit into the game later, and make more money on top of it, then what incentive is there for them to finish the game or put as much content in as possible. You could argue their incentive is to beat out the competition but it looks like almost every game is doing this now so we appear to have another "games should go up $10 dollars because the industry thinks so" situation on our hands. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60

I wish people would actually learn what they're talking about. Mazin and Ribo got it right. Why can't everybody else understand that simple fact?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.