Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Dragon Age in Pretty (New Trailer)

• 99 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

There's lots to be said about Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2. Pretty however, is not how I'd describe either game. Orgins was technically outdated, Dragon Age 2 had way too few assets to make a good impression. That is the past however, Dragon Age: Inquisition is bound to be the first darn pretty Dragon Age game. Hopefully everything else is just as markedly improved as its visuals.

Enjoy the trailer. I sure did. I want it NOW!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Was that Baird?

Typical fantasy does nothing for me. That being said, this excited me. With that being said, so did the trailers for the first two and I didn't care much for those games. This is definitely the most interesting-looking one so far, though.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Dragon Age 2 burned me with their pre-release media so I'm not going to harp on them on releasing stuff like this but I am going to wait till people are releasing game play.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

There's a really good interview on Kotaku with the creative director as well.

Sounds like they're returning to the gameplay of the first Dragon Age-- the camera will pull out to a top-down tactical view, the combat is supposed to be more varied and challenging, there's no regenerating health, the world will be more open and encourage exploration (he even name drops Baldur's Gate) and you can choose from characters of varying races again.

It all sounds good, so hopefully they can pull it off better than Dragon Age 2, which was basically a dog fart.

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By twi

Can't wait!

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

As a person with every achievement in Dragon Age 2, this is my most anticipated game of the year.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

I want to believe this will be as amazing as Origins, but 2 burned me so badly I just can't take that leap of faith. One of the biggest things I hated about 2 was the look of the combat. They made everyone jump around doing teleports, jumping 30 feet into the air doing 1080 flips, and it looked like some terrible anime. So when the first thing I see in this trailer is that mage guy flipping around the staff I let out a sigh. I hope they go back to the more realistic and heavy look of the first game. They had a weight to how they attacked and looked in that game that just felt really good to me. It looked real and not some hyper fake combat.

I have been ignoring everything about this game as I don't want to get my hopes up like I did for 2. I will wait till it's a few days out from release and then dive into all the promo material and see what they are doing then. From what little I have seen it looks like they are trying to make The Witcher: Dragon Age Edition. Which does not appeal to me as I didn't care for those games. We will see come closer to release I guess.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks and sounds like Mass Effect. I know it's Bioware and it'll probably still be great but I don't really buy into their attempt at sword and sorcery. All the armour designs look terrible. American accents. Egh.

There's always a thin line between me accepting a fantasy world or completely rejecting it, which is a shame.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening and even though I thought Dragon Age 2 had some serious problems I still enjoyed it so I'm really looking forward to this. Between this, Alien: Isolation, and Shadows of Mordor October 7th is already looking pretty packed.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is some fantastical Battlefield right thar

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Herk

I wanna know what that pre-order bonus is about. The link just takes me to the same old DA page with "release fall 2014".

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to believe this will be as amazing as Origins, but 2 burned me so badly I just can't take that leap of faith. One of the biggest things I hated about 2 was the look of the combat. They made everyone jump around doing teleports, jumping 30 feet into the air doing 1080 flips, and it looked like some terrible anime. So when the first thing I see in this trailer is that mage guy flipping around the staff I let out a sigh. I hope they go back to the more realistic and heavy look of the first game. They had a weight to how they attacked and looked in that game that just felt really good to me. It looked real and not some hyper fake combat.

I have been ignoring everything about this game as I don't want to get my hopes up like I did for 2. I will wait till it's a few days out from release and then dive into all the promo material and see what they are doing then. From what little I have seen it looks like they are trying to make The Witcher: Dragon Age Edition. Which does not appeal to me as I didn't care for those games. We will see come closer to release I guess.

Spot on sir. The combat looks too exaggerated. On the other hand it may feel different with the top-down camera view, guess we'll see. Besides this, does anybody here have a problem with the dialog wheel in Dragon Age games? Something about it just doesn't feel right...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It looks alright I guess, I was never a huge fan of this series and the trailer isn't doing a whole lot to change that opinion.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By andrew2696

@jazz_bcaz: I actually like that in the Dragon Age universe all the races have different accents. Dwarves (American), Humans (British), Elves (Welsh and Irish), not sure about Qunari.

Actually it might be the main Dragon Age continent with Brit accents. I think the other continent is French or something.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By altairre

Day 1 for sure. Even if it crashes and burns, which I hope it won't, I still have enough faith in Bioware that I want to see it. Dragon Age 2 wasn't great but I loved Mass Effect 3 in spite of the ending and while thistrailer doesn't show a lot of gameplay I'm into the art direction and don't necessarily mind more control over your character as long as there is depth in the combat.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Varric's line seemed fairly lame and unfunny. Otherwise it was a solid video game trailer. I agree the main characters armor design looks like crap, I can't figure out how they have everyone else wearing cool enough looking gear and "you" look like an idiot. Looks like it may be a canned main character again as well, or at least a specific origin event. I kinda wish they would go back to origins method of starting the game off.

I have plenty of faith that they can do something good though and I will be picking it up. DA2 wasn't as good as DA:O but it didn't suck either and for the most part gets far more flack than it really deserved.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age 2 is the only BioWare game I've ever played that I didn't finish. I'm really suspicious. That trailer looks awesome, but that team screwed up really badly on their last attempt.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By andrew2696

@karkarov: There is one character with voices for each gender but there are races at least.

And in defense of Varric, it is literally raining monsters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Lookin' goooood! I would imagine that was also what appears to be the voice for human male, if not the voice for all male characters. Really curious to see how they handle giving you a voiced protagonist while still allowing you to select between four different races. Will they just have one voice per sex across all races I wonder? Different accents? Doing a Saints Row and giving each variable its own unique voice sounds time-consuming to say the least, so it sounds very unlikely that's how they've done it.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm amazed that there are people out there that still have any confidence whatsoever in Bioware.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like there is maybe no better way for a trailer to kill any potential excitement by telling me about its pre-order bonuses. Using dubstep might be worse, I guess.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would watch that movie!

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

@andrew2696: There are enough British accents to accommodate that still. I don't mind European accents but American accents always take me out of it. Especially with one liners like that.

Close your eyes and remove the dialogue, and it sounds like a Mass Effect game as well. Is no one else bothered by this? All those bassy shwumps and monster screeches.

I'm coming from the perspective of never having played a Dragon Age game so I'm being judgemental in the most shallow way possible. That's just my 2 cents. I just come from a place that is pleasant rolling hills and ruined castles and all that, so, usually if a setting doesn't reflect that I can't really buy into it, or it's world building has to convince me in some other way. Growing up with Aruthurian legend, this just seems really off some how.

No Caption Provided

Big part of why I adore Dragon's Dogma. It's like they took that landscape and dropped some goblins and griffins into it.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am excited, but I have to keep myself grounded, since the second one was a let down. It wasn't terrible, but I expected more from the sequel after enjoying the shit out of the first.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Steadying

Oh man, this looks so awesome. Main character definitely has an interesting back story thing going on. I really hope this turns out to be great this time. But uh....Why is there no III in the title anymore? Kinda weird. I could have sworn there was at some point.

Also, I don't understand the emphasis they've been putting on Varric, is he actually a popular character among the fanbase? I found him kinda boring and not funny.

Also also, I really hope that pre-order DLC isn't a party member. Bioware has to get over this disgusting little habit.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#27 jeanluc  Staff

I'm coming from the perspective of never having played a Dragon Age game so I'm being judgemental in the most shallow way possible. That's just my 2 cents. I just come from a place that is pleasant rolling hills and ruined castles and all that, so, usually if a setting doesn't reflect that I can't really buy into it, or it's world building has to convince me in some other way. Growing up with Aruthurian legend, this just seems really off some how.

That's kind of like me saying, "This game set in Mexico looks nothing like my New England white suburban neighborhood, so I can't really buy into this." I don't think Dragon Age is really trying to mimic Aruthurian Legend. It takes elements from it and tries make its own world. In short, your right, you do sound shallow.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#28 jeanluc  Staff

Oh man, this looks so awesome. Main character definitely has an interesting back story thing going on. I really hope this turns out to be great this time. But uh....Why is there no III in the title anymore? Kinda weird. I could have sworn there was at some point.

Also, I don't understand the emphasis they've been putting on Varric, is he actually a popular character among the fanbase? I found him kinda boring and not funny.

Also also, I really hope that pre-order DLC isn't a party member. Bioware has to get over this disgusting little habit.

The game did have 3 in at one point but they dropped it a while ago.

I can't speak for everyone else but I personally loved Varric.

BioWare has gone on record saying that there will be no DLC party members.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Alien, DA:I, and Shadow of Mordor are all out on Oct. 7th. The games industry is run by a bunch of morons.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Steadying

Wait.....is that my female monk from Diablo III I hear in the trailer?! If not, she sounds awfully similar.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat said:

He is indeed! Hell, he's one of my favourite Dragon Age party members overall. <3 The Bloom.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EXTomar

It could be correctly argued that an issue with Dragon Age 2 was calling it Dragon Age 2. If they called it Dragon Age: Adverb Noun then expectations would have been different and less hostile. Going with "Inquisition" instead of a number is probably a wise idea.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I never played Dragon Age 2 because I've heard basically nothing except how much of an uninteresting slog it is, but as someone who might argue that Origins is the best individual Bioware game, consider me optimistic.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

It could be correctly argued that an issue with Dragon Age 2 was calling it Dragon Age 2. If they called it Dragon Age: Adverb Noun then expectations would have been different and less hostile.

Sure, but the reception would still have no doubt been less than kind overall I would wager. It simply having the Dragon Age name would have been enough for many to expect a certain degree of quality and standard.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By militantfreudian

Woah, next-gen indeed! Or is it because it's a Dragon Age game? At any rate, this seems very promising, even though the story premise seems to be somewhat cliched.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Yeah, I don't think it having a number in its name or not is really relevant in that way when there was only one other game in the series.

Also, it's interesting to see you feel that way about Varric. I dunno, maybe I'm just remembering him wrong, it has been quite a while since I played DA II. :P

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really do have high hopes for this. I absolutely loved the first game, the second game was a rushed mess, but i still enjoyed it despite its many, many MANY flaws.

So i really do hope this turns out great, it's actually one of the few games i'm excited for.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee

Oh sure changing a name doesn't "fix" the issues with that are core to the game but it would have soured less people. It feels like if Dragon Age 2 was presented more as "another adventure in the same world" instead of "this is the true sequel" like they presented then people would have approached and treated it differently, warts and all.

As a rule of thumb, unless storyline is tightly bound they should avoid calling things sequels. I'm very supportive of the idea of multiple games in multiple parts of a setting where especially the "Dragon Age World" really has the space to do it....just don't call them sequels. :)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dimi3je said:

@crusader8463 said:

Spot on sir. The combat looks too exaggerated. On the other hand it may feel different with the top-down camera view, guess we'll see. Besides this, does anybody here have a problem with the dialog wheel in Dragon Age games? Something about it just doesn't feel right...

The wheel is one of the other major reasons I dislike DA2, and disliked Mass Effect. It boils conversations down to a binary good, douchebag, evil choice and gives no exploration or reason to replay. One of the reasons I put close to a thousand hours into DA:O was because of the traditional dialogue trees allowing so much variety and exploration that every time I replayed the game it felt like I was discovering something different each time. When they use the wheel all it does is make me decide at the start of the game if I want to be a bad guy or a good guy and I just know to pick the top or bottom accordingly. I don't feel like I'm playing an RPG with choice anymore and that I'm just playing a linear adventure book and every so often I have to pick if I want to keep seeing the good guy story or the bad guy story.

Maybe if you really looked at the traditional dialogue tree it boils down to being the same thing and it's just an illusion of choice due to how it's presented. All I know is I never want to replay an RPG with the wheel because of the above mentioned, and have replayed RPG's with the traditional dialogue tree over and over because I feel like I'm seeing something new, or the same thing from different angles each time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Well I came into the year pretty confident not a whole lot could topple Lightning Returns as my favorite game this year but folks....we have a legitimate contender.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lukeweizer

Can't believe people are going ga-ga over this just because of how it looks. Has no one learned their lesson? I do hope it's good, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#42  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As someone who still enjoyed dragon age 2 in spite of it having blatant issues... I am going to surprise myself on this one by avoiding any sort of pre-release hype. If it is good, that's great! If it is bad, then Bioware is dead to me and I will no longer buy their games new on faith.

The internet turned on Bioware 3 years ago, so it will probably be hated regardless of how good it actually ends up being.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That looks so damn awesome. If it comes down to getting between this and Batman, I'll choose this. :D

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#44  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yay more Dragon Age. Looks like it might be time to start thinking about a new computer. Ugh, money.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, in an appetite for a Biowaresian RPG, I finally caved and bought the Game of Thrones RPG from the European PSN Easter Sale for a tenner. Hopefully it will prove to be a good omen, and I actually enjoy this, by all accounts, middling game.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, I hope you didn't steer me wrong.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This will probably come off as entitled gamer whining, but I wish the game would be more like the first trailer they showed for Dragon Age Origins. The characters were not dressed like "jack sparrow' in wild over the top costumes and there is a grittiness to the world.

That first trailer was cool and those characters were cool with an edge of "crap, this is a real bullshit situation" not trah-la-la LARPers in spandex.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who still enjoyed dragon age 2 in spite of it having blatant issues... I am going to surprise myself on this one by avoiding any sort of pre-release hype. If it is good, that's great! If it is bad, then Bioware is dead to me and I will no longer buy their games new on faith.

The internet turned on Bioware 3 years ago, so it will probably be hated regardless of how good it actually ends up being.

What if the world Joker landed on was really Theadas and the rift is the result of all the Mass Effect relays blowing up and the Inquisitor is just Commander Shepard?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@zirilius said:

@arbitrarywater said:

What if the world Joker landed on was really Theadas and the rift is the result of all the Mass Effect relays blowing up and the Inquisitor is just Commander Shepard?

Then I would declare that to be my game of the year, every year.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda think the gameplay looks quite bad from a mechanical standpoint. The game looks impressive graphically but it just highlights how artificial the combat looks. All I see is them still straddling the line between full on action game and RPG dice rolling and not fully embracing either.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Origins was really good, DA2 was a Goddamn Train Wreck, I will wait for release to pass any judgement but it looks nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.