Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Dragon Age Inquisition is 8 bucks on Origin

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I don't know if it's been lower than this before but it certainly peaked my interest. I hated Dragon Age 2 and thought ME3 was pretty good. Is this game worthwhile? Does it do something different than a game like the Witcher 3 because if it's similar to that game but less good I might pass on it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

Loved Origins, hated 2. This one broke me after 37 hours. The good things were just not enough to make up for the bad things. If you didn't care for the Tactical gameplay of Origins and 2 and don't mind MMO style maps than this one will give you hours of joy.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

It feels like a single player MMO. Great environments, decent characters; story's forgettable, and the combat is uninspiring.

I would buy it for 8 bucks, even if I didn't end up finishing it.

FYI, Witcher 3 is better in virtually every way and I think it's also on sale at GoG

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I saw this, but I also saw that it's also in the Access vault (though it doesn't look like the DLC is in there too yet), so I figured my limited Black Friday funds would be better put to use fleshing out my Steam library and I could pay the Access fee to play this anytime. I guess if I felt stronger about playing this game and/or didn't have a huge backlog I'd snap this up.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

Did you play Dragon Age: Origins? I am just wondering how much you're into Dragon Age. I think Dragon Age: Inquisition is a highly superb game, and one of my favorite current-gen games. I think saying that it's similar to The Witcher 3 but less good, and so that's a reason to pass on it is doing it a disservice, and ripping you away from a great experience. The game is, at least to me, only marginally worse than The Witcher 3, and that's only in a few aspects. It just comes down to the open world really; it has great areas to visit, but the many side content isn't as interesting as it could be. Also, if you compare the combat between The Witcher 3 and Inquisition, it really depends on the way you like to play games. The Witcher 3's combat is more fluid, with the tap of a button you attack and you have different animations for subsequent presses, while Dragon Age: Inquisition is certainly faster paced than the previous entries, and yet it's still about filling a meter on most attacks aside from the main attack, and it's squad based. Here, take a look at this video and compare the gameplay.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Even though overall Inquisition is slightly worse, Inquisition is not a 'poor man's' version of The Witcher 3 if you will. Both are superb and worth playing.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By dagas

I'm a huge Bioware fan and my early impression was very positive but they filled the game with too much uninspered side activites that I think it would have been a better game if they cut out 70% of it. I finished Origins 6 times in a year. DA2 3 times and the ME games are my favorite games of all time but this took me 1½ years just to finish once. Sure I am more busy now but it was also that I stopped playing for a long time. I am playing Witcher 3 now and after 55 hours I still cannot quit. I'd say it is worth 8 bucks for sure but it is not as good as Witcher 3. Unlike Witcher 3 the world feels empty and soulless. The main story is still good but don't make the mistake I did of trying to finish everything in each area because it is just a chore. I would suggest skipping as much as possible of the side quests except for the ones that are about helping your party members.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As you can see from the above video combat is just going through your cycle, then using healing potions on your teammates.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@anonymous_jesse: Yeah, pretty much. Although it's not all that challenging throughout most of it, the fun in terms of combat does come from the challenge and making sure you're not the only one left on the battlefield in most fights. That said, I never felt bored just taking down enemies, even as I was overpowered.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@dagas: Ah, I should reply to these in one comment. I just wanted to say that yes, the open world in Inquisition doesn't have random NPC, interesting character encounters, so in that sense it does feel comparatively soulless, but by doing all the side mission, I was always satisfied to find new, and great looking places. It also helps upgrade your character too. The missions that are a bit much is just finding the shards, and astrarium puzzles (which was probably my least favorite part of the game). I did everything in the game, and it's about 110 hours or so, not including DLC or getting everything for the skyhold. On the other hand, The Witcher 3 took me nearly 300 hours to do everything, minus the random encounters that you can find, since I don't know how many there are of those. I don't agree that they should have cut aspects, but I would rather they took those aspects and just made them more interesting to do. Enough high quality stuff surrounded the chore-like quests that I just didn't mind that much.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went Knight Enchanter and couldn't die. I switched it down to easy 100 hours in and the fights still went on too long. I liked aspects of it like the religious angle and the Dragon Age world is fantastic (I've read most of the books) but the story sort of fall apart in the second half, there is far to much side quests, the zones are to big and the combat is pretty mindless.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anonymous_jesse: Yeah, it's just dependent on level, which is why a foe won't die as quickly. As depicted in the video above, it shows you the ability to stop the flow of combat for you to think about what you have to do, and yet it was only a few of the dragon bosses that I had to do this in for the most part (I was a warrior), otherwise you walk into a battle just attacking enemies with the time still going. I would like to put more thought into my attacks for sure, but I was still having fun regardless. That all said, I didn't play the game on hard, nor did I in The Witcher 3 until I put it on Death March after I was already 200 plus hours in (which did absolutely nothing it seemed). Playing on hard and getting a challenge isn't necessarily what I play the games for, especially considering they're 100 plus hours and I just want to see all the content as fast as I can (as in, I want to explore every nook and cranny, and take my time in that respect, but not necessarily be challenged in the fights to an extreme degree that it'd postpone progress longer than I'd like), but I think I would recommend the harder difficulties.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's certainly not the best game ever made, and no universe exists in which it even remotely compares to anything the Witcher 3 has to offer, but for eight bucks I'd say there's decent enough value there.

Just temper your expectations. The game definitely continues the post-EA Nu-Bioware trend of creating really awesome universes on paper - and then doing completely boring things with them in the actual game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the heads up!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

GAME in the UK have the GOTY Edition for PC for only £5. An equivalent deal and definitely worth it.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Thanks! I loved Origins because at the time it was the closet thing to a Neverwinter Nights style game in many years. I get my fill of that type of game out of Obsidian and InXile nowdays so I don't need that experience from Inquisition so I doesn't need to be like that.

Thanks to everyone else posting, I'll probably just make a gut decision before the sale expires.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Is the DLC on sale?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great game, especially if you're into the dragon age lore. it does have a bit too much filler but not anymore than most fantasy RPGs.

tissot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tissot

I guess when we talk about Dragon Age games it is important to mention that I play on PC. It's not as crucial as it was on Origins, though it can have an big effect on how you play the game.

I was chasing down the DA Origins like of combat and I got that on the hardest difficulty level. Tactical view that I used most of the time is still a bit wonky on PC compared to Origins. At least was back then. It absolutely has some MMO tendencies on how the world is build, but as I enjoyed the characters and combat that wasn't actually a negative for me. I put around 90 hours into the main game and all the story DLC.

I can't see a world where DA:I isn't worth $8 as a general guideline. I can't answer the question will you like the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.