How do you level up your companions?

halleckg65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm curious how many people play through a game like this and take total control over each level up for every companion or simply let the "auto level" do the work? I will typically do the "auto level" on the first level or two, just to get a feel for where the game wants the characters to go. After that, I take over for a while, but I usually get bored or lazy after while and just let the game handle it.

I didn't have too many issues with this through Origins or DA2, but now that the level up process has been simplified (no stat points to distribute) I'm thinking I should take full control. Doing this so far has allowed me to spec Sera as a dual dagger rogue vs an archer (since I'm also playing as an archer and didn't want two). That may come back to bite me later on...

So what about you? How do you manage your companions when leveling?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I always dictate how my party members level up when given the option.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I leveled them up manually simply because I kinda think it's a satisfying thing to do. It's fun ascending a well crafted ability tree! And since respecs are trivial in this game, you really don't have anything to lose by doing it. You're not gonna permanently mess it up. Worst case scenario, you use that respec amulet and then turn on auto leveling.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Manual leveling. I like be in control of that stuff and having lots of customization, it's an RPG after all. Really, realllllllllllly bummed out (and confused as to why) they removed stat allocation.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Entreri10

I used to do manual only for games like this, but the game's been easy enough on normal that I just do auto to save time, although if I did a run on nightmare difficulty then I would definitely do manual level ups for the companions.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've done auto on my first playthrough, and the game does a great job of picking what is best suited for that characters class/attack style. However if you want Sera to use daggers auto leveling will not help, as it will fill in the bow tree, etc. On my nightmare playthrough I doing it manual to craft the party I want to use how I want to play.

@steadying: Yeah, I am not a big fan of the dumbed down/simple leveling system either. Unlocking skills to gain +3 in a stat is not as satisfying as molding a character the way you want.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Manual levelling! The auto-levelling doesn't take my play-style into consideration.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Manual. As far as combat goes, you're playing as the whole party - it'd make no sense to level up 1/4 of the team how you want it and leave the other 3/4 to chance. I guess on the lower difficulties it doesn't really matter.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure the designers chose a good enough spec for each character, but I always like to do that stuff manually, if given the choice. I feel like auto-level would just fill out the trees relevant for each character, whereas I like to maximize utility on the few skills I actually use, since you can only use 8 anyway.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Sessh

I never auto-level in anything, because a) it takes away part of the fun for me and b) even though the auto-leveling might turn out pretty good, it still doesn't guarantee to also fit my play style at all.

I just love micro-managing/min-maxing and stuff in general (at least in RPGs).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm fine with auto leveling, I spend enough time considering where I should put my main's points.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

I never auto-level in anything, because a) it takes away part of the fun for me and b) even though the auto-leveling might turn out pretty good, it still doesn't guarantee to also fit my play style at all.

I just love micro-managing/min-maxing and stuff in general (at least in RPGs).

Pretty much. I actually don't care much for excessive micro-management or min/maxing, but I do really like experimenting with character builds. It's why I think any game that has customizable skill trees needs a respec option, so I can fiddle around with different builds as much as I want. Or just completely change up my playstyle at a whim.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Auto-level. I like seeing how the characters are automatically specialized, then picking whoever fits my needs for a fight and making it all work. Kinda makes them feel more like separate characters rather than minions with personality, which is fun.

Play-style only really enters the equation when it comes to my main, who I manually level and am always controlling during fights.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I manually level up everyone. I want my sword and shield companion to actually get guard building abilities and shit.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I level up everyone manually.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I auto-level my companions, manually level myself. Things are rolling around on normal just fine. When I do my second playthrough (It might take a while!) on hard, I'll probably experiment more.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quarters

Auto-level. Don't have time/patience for that nonsense. I manually level myself, however.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I almost never manually upgrade when given the chance. I decided to in DA: Inquisition, though, because i wanted to try to get as much variation as possible in companion choices. Turns out that it didn't really matter all that much, so whatever.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Manual. Putting points in shit is half the fun of RPGs.

ikomrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters:

Same. I don't get much time to play the game, and I'd rather spend that time advancing the story over customizing my companions.

I do relate to my character and manually level him/her.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I mico manage everything to the ultimate maximum degree of manual labor.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Micro-manage. If you do auto-level, the game gives Varric a distance-closer ability that he spams like an idiot.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I leveled manually. When the party unlocked their specialized character specific tree I respec'ed to max that tree and then their original tree I was working on.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Maybe it'd come in handy to do it on your own on harder difficulty settings, but I played on the easiest since the challenge of combat isn't necessarily what I played it for, and so I just let it go automatically for my team members.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EthanielRain

I let the game auto-level, until I noticed what was making my chars die/what was doing well. Then manually all the way! :)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I haven't played DA:I specifically, but it's a safe bet that I would take full control. Any game that will let me, I'm going to try and min/max it.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I always dictate how my party members level up when given the option.

I don't think I have ever used an auto level-up system in any game ever.

Though your point about doing auto for the first couple levels to see where the game thinks the characters should go is interesting, that's actually pretty smart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.