I've been playing for about 20 hours with a keyboard and mouse combo. I really like the game itself. But the controls don't work so well.
I can sorta tolerate them most of the time. But I feel the need to jump into tactical view all the time, largely because of Origins (I skipped 2) and also because I was raised on the infinity engine games Bioware made in the past. It's just how I like to play these games, ideally anyway. But as soon as a battle starts, things just get fucked:
- The camera is just bonkers in tactical, it gets hung up on random stuff and often can't zoom out worth a damn
- Said camera jumps to party members when I select them, meaning a painful scroll back to where I actually need them to go. Every time
- Characters often have minds of their own, even after setting up tactics they seem to disregard commands or target things they weren't told to
- Pathfinding is total garbage, unless I constantly pause to micromanage everyone - even then abilities often aren't used properly
- I wanted to play with friendly fire on (once again, old school preference here), but none of the templates seem accurate for spells. So much for that
So I'm making a poll to see where people stand on this matter. Everything else seems great about this game, I want to play more, should I just give up on trying to recreate the classic combat experience? It's personally a bummer, since this was supposed to be a selling point for people like me. Also, at this point I'm kind of wary on re-learning how to play using a controller. But I do have one lying around somewhere...