Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Review Discussion of Dragon Age: Inquisition

• 114 results
    overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@nightriff: Honestly I don't remember. I just know that I felt like I gave both a decent chance, but they never really dragged me in. I also feel like I was really into other games at the time and it made it harder to really get into a longer RPG.

I feel like a lot of why Inquisition interests me is that I've had a bit of a renaissance with longer single player games in the past few years. Also I think knowing that there are less games that will be interfering with each other helps. I'll probably get Far Cry 4 barring some catastrophe upon release, but I doubt that will be a terribly long game and once I beat that I feel like I'll probably get Inquisition. I'm still not 100% yet though. I liked a lot of what I saw in the Quick Look but there were definitely some things that I wasn't huge on like the constant pinging and the slow mount. Also I kind of wish there was some way of healing without using potions that is only available when not in combat/near enemies or something.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By altairre

Reviews before the release of DA2 were mostly positive too, just sayin. There were a ton of preorders, then the game came out review averages dropped, as did sales. There was that one trustworthy magazine that gave it an amazing score and had it on the cover too. :P

Except that this time everyone is aware of the reaction DA2 got. A lot of the reviews even address that specifically and say how and why it is better that DA2 and how it holds up in comparison to DA:O.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@dagas said:

@bargainben said:

@dagas: This game is so different from DA2 because everyone complained about DA2. If everyone was like you and overlooked the mountain of unforgivable halfmeasures that game attempted to get away with we'd have 5 DAs by now and they'd all be bullshit like DA2. Critical feedback serves to focus a development into something more people can enjoy so chill. Part of this game's story is redeeming itself as a company after fucking its IPs up. When Ubisoft did that we got AC Black Flag, the best game in the series. Now Bioware is doing it. So for all this apologist rhetoric and "stop hating!", well, a lot of really good games (like this one) wouldnt be what they are without people speaking their mind.

I'm not saying you should not give feedback. I am saying that they DID listen to that feedback. So why bring up DA2 when this game is clearly not DA2 and they have fixed the issues people had with that game.

I said "Can people stop bringning up DA2 now! We know this game fixed the problems people had with that game. This game is huuuuge. Many reviewers say they spent up to 100 hours and didn't touch all of the content. This is the opposite of DA2 where they made a tiny world with one city. This game is even much bigger than Origins."

In ME3 they even fixed it without having you pay anything to get a huge update. Bioware does listen but people don't give them enough credit for doing that. They still bring up old stuff.

I think it's good for people to remain skeptical after a debacle like Dragon Age 2.

Games like Dragon Age 2 should serve as a reminder to everyone to stop preordering games and approach new releases with a sense of cautious optimism, while remaining mindful of previous games in the series and mistakes that were made with them.

Once bitten, twice shy. I'll probably still be thinking about my experience with Dragon Age 2 when Dragon Age 4 comes out.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By nightriff

No we need more games like that. Every fantasy RPG is some grandiose save the world from otherworldly doom. I'll take Champion of Kirkwall over Hero of Ferelden any day. But I know I'm in the minority. That's why we're never going to get C-Sec Investigations and instead there will be some crazy galactic threat in whatever the next Mass Effect game may be.

While we will disagree on Champion vs Hero, don't break my heart by saying there will be no Mass Effect: Citadel Noire. Give me LA Noire with Garrus on the citadel, investigating murders, drugs, corruption, hanar prostitution ring, god damn that would be AMAZING!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jadegl said:

I was slightly disappointed by the second game. It wasn't a bad game and I spent a lot of time with it, it just wasn't as epic feeling as the first one. I wanted to feel like the Hero and instead I just kind of felt like a hero.

No we need more games like that. Every fantasy RPG is some grandiose save the world from otherworldly doom. I'll take Champion of Kirkwall over Hero of Ferelden any day. But I know I'm in the minority. That's why we're never going to get C-Sec Investigations and instead there will be some crazy galactic threat in whatever the next Mass Effect game may be.

I kind of agree with both of these sentiments actually. I'm all for some more personal stories coming out of these games, but I still want to be an important enough person to have some sort of impact on the world with my choices. The Champion of Kirkwall was kind of the worst of both worlds, because while he may not have been the only man that can save the galaxy, he was still the only man that could save Kirkwall. Despite that, he never had much say in what was actually going on. Everyone else got to make all the choices that led to all the fuck-ups, but he was still the one who had to clean up after them. It made me feel like a total pushover.

I just think, if you want me to be this Amazing Champion of Kirkwall, let me be that guy. If you want to let everybody push my character around, that's fine too, but make me some poor street rat struggling in a world full of bigger fish or something.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#106  Edited By alistercat

After reading the reviews and watching Rorie play I bought a month of EA Access to try it out ahead of release. It might only be 6 hours but that's enough to see how I feel. I went from not excited at all to pretty excited very quickly. I guess this is what they call "hype".

It's a 41GB download on Xbox One though so I won't be playing any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The combat seems so shallow :( That's my only concern about the game now... whether or not that holds up for 100 hours.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@jadegl said:

I was slightly disappointed by the second game. It wasn't a bad game and I spent a lot of time with it, it just wasn't as epic feeling as the first one. I wanted to feel like the Hero and instead I just kind of felt like a hero.

The smaller scale is one of the major things that made me really like DA2 despite its many flaws. There is a moment in the game, at the end of act 2, where (depending on certain choices) a character close to Hawke returns after a long absence, now a fully fledged Grey Warden. And the feeling of now, for all intents and purposes of being eclipsed by this person's standing in the world, and even having them reject your plea for aid, since they themselves have bigger problems is something few games have given me before. I'm psyched for a new, big adventure in DA:I, but I really enjoyed 2.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

It seems that the story and writing is the strongest point this time around. I was more excited for unity than I was for this.. but.. The reviews say something completely different :/

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#110  Edited By StarvingGamer

@starvinggamer said:

@jadegl said:

I kind of agree with both of these sentiments actually. I'm all for some more personal stories coming out of these games, but I still want to be an important enough person to have some sort of impact on the world with my choices. The Champion of Kirkwall was kind of the worst of both worlds, because while he may not have been the only man that can save the galaxy, he was still the only man that could save Kirkwall. Despite that, he never had much say in what was actually going on. Everyone else got to make all the choices that led to all the fuck-ups, but he was still the one who had to clean up after them. It made me feel like a total pushover.

I just think, if you want me to be this Amazing Champion of Kirkwall, let me be that guy. If you want to let everybody push my character around, that's fine too, but make me some poor street rat struggling in a world full of bigger fish or something.

But that's sorta what I liked about it. The Champion didn't want to be champion. She didn't want much of anything other than to live peacefully with her family. She just happened to be the one with the strength of personality and strength of arms to bring things to a conclusion. It made her feel so much more grounded and real to me that I like her more than any protagonist I've created outside of Shepard, and that's an unfair comparison because Shepard and I had three whole games to bond.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann said:

The combat seems so shallow :( That's my only concern about the game now... whether or not that holds up for 100 hours.

This is my problem after watching the quick look, as it looks far too similar to Dragon Age 2's very mashy combat. I don't know if I'd enjoy that for that period of time.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Quarters

Good to hear. Really tempted to pick it up.

Also, I'm really tired of hearing people refer to DAII as some sort of abomination. It was a flawed, but still great game.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#113  Edited By jadegl

@hunter5024 said:

@starvinggamer said:

@jadegl said:

But that's sorta what I liked about it. The Champion didn't want to be champion. She didn't want much of anything other than to live peacefully with her family. She just happened to be the one with the strength of personality and strength of arms to bring things to a conclusion. It made her feel so much more grounded and real to me that I like her more than any protagonist I've created outside of Shepard, and that's an unfair comparison because Shepard and I had three whole games to bond.

I honestly don't have a problem with the smaller scale story. I think it was effective for what it wanted to do and I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 for what it was, while also being disappointed in what it lacked. It had tiny environments that were reused many times, a much smaller and generally more uninteresting item/weapon/armor list, and I felt like the secrets were too easy to find. I pretty much squeezed all the content out of that game in not much time at all compared to how much time I sunk into the first game and the DA expansion.

My main problem is Bioware had done smaller scale games successfully with Mass Effect 2. That story was much more personal than the first "epic" scope game, but it also had characters I really loved and cared about, interesting story beats, and I felt like it connected back to the first game successfully. DA2, while a good game, may have been better served as not being the number 2 of a trilogy. It didn't feel as connected to the first game as I would have liked, and I found the characters generally less engrossing when compared to the first game. They even bland-ified, a word I made up just for this post, Anders, who I liked in the expansion and then kind of came to dislike in the second game. And it wasn't because of what they decided to have him do, that was great imo, it was just the character overall wasn't as interesting as he was in his introduction, at least to me.

Anyway, I do like DA2 for what it was. It was a good game and gets a lot of unwarranted crap, but it also was not as good as the first game. I feel like they felt like they had to get a game out, and maybe rushed it. I wish they had taken more time, but I have no idea since I'm just a person who plays games, not a developer. :)

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By FritzDude

@jadegl:

I agree. I actually liked Dragon Age 2 for what it was, but it felt short, unepic and simply rushed compared to Origins, but that's the thing, I'm comparing it to Origins because it's the official sequel. I think the game would have had a better time if it was just a spin off, or something in that nature. Regardless, Inquisition seems to bind Origins and Dragon Age 2 together in its own form which makes me happy at least because I had fun with both games, but I can understand why some people are still on edge.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By Gonmog

After playing a few hours. I have not mashed a single button. Combat seems fine. (For added challenge I turned on friendly fire.)

Game is fun just running around in. So far.... The reviews are accurate. I do not see combat getting boring anytime soon. And the VA and writing is also fantastic.

If you want a RPG... This is a great one to be excited for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.