Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

DA:O Ultimate Edition - PS3 or 360?

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Rxanadu

I'm trying to get my hands on this edition of the game.  I heard it includes all of the DLC (even the recently released stuff) as well as Awakening.  The main thing stopping me from getting this (aside from my lack in funds) is knowing which version to get.  I don't have a PC to run this on, so I have to stick with the console versions.  I just wanted to know which one runs better: the PS3 version or the 360 version?

I'm also trying to get this for the "B2G1 Free" deal on Amazon this week.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OdinsThunder

Don't get the XBox version, it's fucking terrible. Stuttering low res graphics and horrible controls. PC is obviously the best version, I haven't played the PS3 version, but if takes advantage of the keyboard and mouse and is the same as the PC version, well it might be ok.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @OdinsThunder said:
    " Don't get the XBox version, it's fucking terrible. Stuttering low res graphics and horrible controls. PC is obviously the best version, I haven't played the PS3 version, but if takes advantage of the keyboard and mouse and is the same as the PC version, well it might be ok. "
    Unfortunately the PS3 version doesn't support K&M even though the PS3 naturally support them. Gameplay wise then they both play exactly the same. The PS3 version has better textures and graphics then the 360 while the 360 has better framerate. 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    Dragon Age is really bad on the console, just to warn ya. You should buy it on PC and stow it away till you get a better one.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " Dragon Age is really bad on the console, just to warn ya. You should buy it on PC and stow it away till you get a better one. "
    No it's not "really bad on consoles". True this game was meant initially for the PC but the console version is in no way shape or form a bad experience. I sunk 71 hours into the PS3 version and more then 50  hours into the 360 and I also had some playtime on the PC with this game and in no way I felt the console versions were "bad".  How about next time try to give advice that actually helps and not just your PC fanboy babble dabble. Seems ironic given your nickname. 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Mordukai:  There is no advice to give, because the PS3/360 ports are quite close. On Xbox, which I played it on, the game looks ugly and plays terrible. I doubt the fights would be scintillating on PC, as the underlying RPG systems are still pretty mediocre, but the strategic benefits of an isometric perspective are obvious. Don't tell me the combat system shoehorned into a tpp action RPG is the way the game is meant to be played.
    And I actually was giving him advice that helps: buy neither, choose the best possible version, as I found the console experience quite shitty. There's no point trying to undo my experience of the game, although I wish you could.

To return to the original post, if you absolutely cannot get the PC version then it's a question of whether you prefer best graphics or best performance, or perhaps even just trophies vs. achievements. You also ought to consider how much of an annoyance you will find lack of a tactical overhead perspective, if you played many 90s CRPGs.
    lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By lordbazuco

Eh go with the xbox version. Thats what i did. Then again my ps3 hasn't been turned on in months. But as for being bad on consoles. I dunno, I mean yes, it was made for pc and ported to the consoles, so obviously the pc version is superior, bu i only played it on the xbox and it might be my favorite game of all time.  

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @owl_of_minerva: Shoehorned or not it's still a damn good no matter which version you go. The guy is telling you he doesn't have the PC to run it so he will have to go with the console version end of PC argument right there. 
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OdinsThunder

I owned the Xbox 360 version for a while, and it was terrible. I sold it after about putting at least 10 hours into it. Honestly, if you can't play it on PC, I'd just give this one a miss until you've got yourself a nice rig. 

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Mordukai:  That logic was why I bought Dragon Age for Xbox in the first place. I'm planning on giving my Xbox copy away and rebuying it for PC. Even Fallout 3, which I enjoyed quite a lot on Xbox, I'm finding to be rather better on PC.
    I'm not fussed over what platform he buys it for, he should just be aware that there's a strong argument for buying it on PC over the other versions (cheaper, better combat, better graphics, etc). I'm just giving advice based on my own experience. Sure it's possible to enjoy the game whichever version you go with, as the writing and story will be untarnished, but it's also possible to be infuriated by the awkwardness of its mechanics on console.
    If the best version were the Xbox/PS3 I would be happy to say so. I hate fanboyism.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mordukai
    @owl_of_minerva: Look, I am not gonna argue that the PC version offers better graphics and better combat control but to come and say the console version are straight up bad is wrong.  For me the changes boiled down to that on the PC I felt like I was directing traffic at the Indy 500 while the console version made me feel like I was a part of the show. 
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By emem
    @Mordukai said:
    " @owl_of_minerva: Look, I am not gonna argue that the PC version offers better graphics and better combat control but to come and say the console version are straight up bad is wrong.  For me the changes boiled down to that on the PC I felt like I was directing traffic at the Indy 500 while the console version made me feel like I was a part of the show.  "
    How's that? Too many things to do all the time? Well, that's how this rpg works mate. :)  I liked the PC controls, but with a decent combat menu the console versions could be good as well. I only own it for the PC so I can't really tell, though.
    atombrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By atombrain

I've played the entire game on the 360 and I thought it was great. I'm thinking about getting it for the PC now as well. To say that the game is crap on console is simply just not true.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Wuddel

From all I have seen of the console version: Better not play it all!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I own the PS3 version (Haven't played the 360 version) and it's great, I'm sure the PC version may be a step above but I enjoy playing on my console like I always have, I'm sure both versions are fine.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quacktastic

PS3 looks a little bettter, 360 runs a little better.

I'm like 90% sure that the PS3 ver has all of the DLC and expansion on the disc and the 360 version has 2 discs, one with all of the extras on it.  So, that's the only real difference I can think of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.