Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Difficulty Setting

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DeviantJoker

Normally with a game, especially with a story that I want to enjoy with the frustrations of dying because I am not yet adapt at the game mechanics - I start a game on "Normal" setting. But I am highly reconsidering this for Dragon Age: Origins.

The game will have four difficulty settings, "Easy", "Normal", "Hard" and "Nightmare". Nightmare may or may not be unlocked right off. A few notable differences between the settings are...

• Easy: Friendly Fire is at 0%
    • Normal: Friendly Fire is at 50%
    • Hard: Friendly Fire is at 100%

The creator's of the game strongly hinted that the game was designed with idea that area of effect spells were considered - and to lose that "Friendly Fire" can dumb down the need for tactics. That being considered, I recommend "Hard" setting for those brave enough to truly wanting some tactics in there game. The creator's said, Easy and even Normal made it feel more 'action-adventure' rarely needing to pause and think combat through, at least not as much as 'Hard'.

Any thoughts on what you'll probably play through as? Or your feelings of Friendly Fire?
    Moose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Moose

Hmm, if the continuous level-up system from Mass Effect is in there, I might just start on medium. I'll easily play it twice or more anyway.
    Besides, BioWare's difficulty levels are always well-balanced, they're never ridiculous.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Moose said:
    " Hmm, if the continuous level-up system from Mass Effect is in there, I might just start on medium. I'll easily play it twice or more anyway. Besides, BioWare's difficulty levels are always well-balanced, they're never ridiculous. "

I'm not sure how the level-up system worked in ME -- but in DAO, I thought I read, the creatures will have a min and max range in their level. Which is to say, a wolf that may have a level range of 3-5 will never be anything lower than level 3 regardless of you being level 1 or 2, but neither will it be higher than level 5, even if you're a level 20.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By innacces14

I usually play games at harder difficulties. This stems from me looking at locked features in 007 GoldenEye for the N64 and going "Well, *sigh*, if it still needs to be done then so be it."

These days though I make sure I have a second runthrough with games cause I just love taking everything that I got out of harder difficulties and just running wild at easier levels. I enjoy the game while making the story that much easier to get without running thoughts about "MAN! THAT BOSS WAS FREAGIN' CHEAP!" while the cutscenes are running, haha.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This is pretty much how games like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinet Nights worked anyway, so it's not going to bother me.  Like they said, it just means mages inparticularly have to be a little more careful with where they fling magic, so it forces you to communicate and use more tactics with your team.  Of course, if you're playing single player it's going to be very annoying if you get taken out during a boss fight by one of your party members, so lets hope the A.I. doesn't suck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.