Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age: No DRM, Coming To Your Tabletop

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    SAVING THROW, SUCKA.
    SAVING THROW, SUCKA.
    We're closing in on the last few months of development time before the release of the next next big thing from BioWare, Dragon Age: Origins. I'm a little more excited for BioWare's next next big thing, Mass Effect 2, because I'm a nerd about space like that. But I know many of you are hanging on every piece of news that hits for Dragon Age--and I have to admit, the game has been looking better and better every time we've seen it--and so I offer you this two-for.

First, there was the charitable announcement on the company's own forums that the PC version of Dragon Age won't come with any sort of draconian copy protection schemes. No SecureROM, no online authentication--just the good old-fashioned disc-in-drive check. Community guy Chris Priestly also makes the inevitable mention of post-release paid DLC (natch), as well as the start of the beta for the game's mod tools. Since they're getting a jump start on getting community content going so far ahead of release, there may be some decent mods showing up on the PC not long after the game actually hits shelves.

Then today, EA furthered BioWare's assertion that they're serious about turning Dragon Age into a bonafide fantasy thang. Following the release of the game's prequel novel, EA went and announced a partnership with Green Ronin Publishing to bring a pen-and-paper RPG to market based on the Dragon Age world. That's, you know, like Dungeons & Dragons. Character sheets? 20-siders? THACO? Am I ringing any bells here?

Are you likely to get down and dirty with some pens and paper on this thing, or will you just stick to the video game version of Dragon Age?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    SAVING THROW, SUCKA.
    SAVING THROW, SUCKA.
    We're closing in on the last few months of development time before the release of the next next big thing from BioWare, Dragon Age: Origins. I'm a little more excited for BioWare's next next big thing, Mass Effect 2, because I'm a nerd about space like that. But I know many of you are hanging on every piece of news that hits for Dragon Age--and I have to admit, the game has been looking better and better every time we've seen it--and so I offer you this two-for.

First, there was the charitable announcement on the company's own forums that the PC version of Dragon Age won't come with any sort of draconian copy protection schemes. No SecureROM, no online authentication--just the good old-fashioned disc-in-drive check. Community guy Chris Priestly also makes the inevitable mention of post-release paid DLC (natch), as well as the start of the beta for the game's mod tools. Since they're getting a jump start on getting community content going so far ahead of release, there may be some decent mods showing up on the PC not long after the game actually hits shelves.

Then today, EA furthered BioWare's assertion that they're serious about turning Dragon Age into a bonafide fantasy thang. Following the release of the game's prequel novel, EA went and announced a partnership with Green Ronin Publishing to bring a pen-and-paper RPG to market based on the Dragon Age world. That's, you know, like Dungeons & Dragons. Character sheets? 20-siders? THACO? Am I ringing any bells here?

Are you likely to get down and dirty with some pens and paper on this thing, or will you just stick to the video game version of Dragon Age?

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Nice.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chrjz

I've never liked that pen and paper type stuff; video game only for me, and I'm looking forward to it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

Awesome!  This game is going to kick ass.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

I could see doing some P&P stuff with my brother, and his troop of role-playing friends, but he's more into running campaigns in his own campaign setting.

As for the game going sans-DRM, that's always a move I like to see, but I also hope it doesn't bite them in the ass. I'm actually surprised EA is letting them cut the DRM in the first place. As skeptical as I am about Dragon Age actually being good, I'm pretty sure it'll be one of those increasingly rare day 1 purchases for me.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By joshs

THACO hasn't been used in like 2 editions.. still love ya though XD

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Colonel_Fury

Pen and paper. Say no more.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By irishjohn

But will the pen and paper version have DRM?  Perhaps the video game's lack of DRM is just a clever feint.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Dimsey

I wouldn't mind taking a look at the Pen and Paper game but in all likely hood I'll read through all the rules and crap and NOT find a group here. Ever.
    That's pretty much what happened when I looked into playing D&D. Read the rules. And then... Nothing. No biggy.
    Can't wait for Dragon Age though.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool

Green Ronin, huh...alright. I guess if you can't do TSR or White-Wolf, Ronin's the way to go. Makes me long for the days when my friends and I actually had time to play tabletop games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Very little DRM = Good.
    P&P = Kind of dumb.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Cerza

When Dragon Age: Origins was first unveiled to the public I knew I would buy it, and now that I know it won't have any retarded DRM it makes me want to buy it even more. Two copies please!!!

Oh...uh... and the pen & paper really isn't my thing. I think I'll stick with the video game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

ehhhhh i'll take the video game, thanks. xD

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Reverseface

Dragon age should have miltiplayer, i am very disapointed about this.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech

Dragon Age will be off the rope.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Gunner

Just the game, last time i played a table top RPG i felt... dirty after wards.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By dagas

Like Brad I'm more interested in Mass Effect 2, but I bet this will be a great game as well. They sure have been working on it for long. I think it was announced around the same time as Jade Empire on the XBOX, maybe even before that.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Pen and paper, huh?  Makes me even more curious about their system, now.  Assuming it's really, actually different than DnD and not some sort of port.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By FLStyle

I would certainly like to give the pen and paper version a try, don't know how many of my friend's would want a go with me. Isn't the whole pen and paper thing online yet?

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By unchained

I'm absolutely going to buy the Pen and Paper Dragon Age book. I'm not sure I'll actually play it, but no doubt it will open up the setting and world of Dragon Age (Thedas). NPC's, locations, histories, and it may shed some light on the bestiary of the setting as well. 

And the no-DRM thing? Well, I was a planning to be a first day purchaser for this game long ago, so it doesn't really matter to me. It will be nice to not have SecuRom or an online authentication process though. I'll probably buy two honestly...one for me on PC, and one for my wife on 360 (or PS3).

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aas

I save against your poison, Zombie-dog!

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lacke

Disc checks? Personally I'd rather take what Mass Effect (non Steam version) has now than a disc check. Anyway, since Mass Effect/Electronic Arts is on Steam, I'm guessing DA will also be released there and I'll just pick up that version.

Falloutmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Falloutmadness

Sounds great! I love D&D!

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FlipperDesert

So there's going to be a tabletop game based on a video game that's a quasi-sequel of another game based on a tabletop game.

... What?

grifter00020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By grifter00020

Real Roleplaying gets done with Real Dice

CoIin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CoIin

YOU CAN NOT FORCE ME TO USE MY IMAGINATION!

Sandwizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sandwizzle

The table top would have to be really good to get me to turn away from the game.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Media_Master

pen and what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.