Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age: Origins, or Tooling Around Ferelden with Alistair

aaronverber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By aaronverber
    "That's what I'm here for: delivering bad news and snappy one-liners." 

Spoilers ahead! Not that you couldn't see it coming. I mean, it's called Dragon Age: Origins, right? I'm going to assume you know about the origins, so it stands to reason that...yeah. Anyway. This is your final warning. Also, know that this is just one short thought of about a million I could have about Dragon Age. This one just seemed most worthy of being shared.

I didn't start Dragon Age: Origins intending to play like a bro. In fact, I had decided to start my character with as few prejudices as possible. I just hoped that he would find his own way in the world, and that I would find something at all. This had the humorous side effect of making my character sound like a complete idiot at the beginning of the game. Not only did poor, confused Eckard ask a lot of awkward and abrupt questions, but he also didn't really care what happened during his origin story. As a city elf, he was supposed to hate the humans who teased and tormented his people. Eckard, however, was a bit spineless in the beginning. He never backed down from a fight, but he didn't have much passion. He was quiet and lost. He had nothing to believe in. 

I don't (or didn't) feel the same way as my character, at least not consciously. But a part of me, a big part of me, must have identified with that. My character and I were, to some extent, searching for something. By the time the Grey Wardens had been betrayed at Ostagar, though, we had found it. Eckard and I shared a loathing for treacherous Loghain. What a prick.   

But it wasn't Loghain's treachery against Eckard that had me so upset. When I discovered that Alistair had also survived, I was a little worried: he can, at times, be a bit of a whiny tool. And then he told me how he wanted to hold a proper funeral for Duncan and travel to Orlais and that he and Eckard were in it together. I was touched. Eckard, doubly so. It was at that point that I decided Eckard and Alistair would be good buddies. There would be no romance--that's not what we needed. We were, as it turned out, looking for a friend. Besides, Alistair seemed more like a ladies man, hangs-out-at-that-bar-you-hate-but-go-to-all-the-time-anyway sort of dude. It was quite the bromance. 

I rolled around town with three warriors and a mage for most of the game, feeling like a tool most of the time, but a polite tool nonetheless. Alistair was always in the party.  Eckard always had his back. At every twist and turn in the plot, he sided with Alistair. They liked the same things, hated the same bloodmages. But there was one thing I had to disagree with him on: he had to become king. And I always felt a little bad about that. I could tell he didn't want it, but hoped it would be a sort of character building exercise. Boy was he pissed when I chose him over that other bitch. I then felt even worse about using my maxed-out persuasion to talk him down. And when it came time to kill the Archdemon, which I hardly cared about after being so satisfied by Eckard's disemboweling of Loghain, I took one for the team, for Alistair, and sacrificed my character (without even realizing this would be completely retconned later, I might add). 

Few video game characters stay with me after I've finished a game: Manny Calavera, Urdnot Wrex, and Joker (though only in Mass Effect 2, really) are a few of the standouts. To that, I add Alistair. As I get older and busier, I realize that video games might one day take a back seat in my life. But if there is one thing that can keep me coming back, it's characters like Alistair. He made me laugh. He made me care. He made me play. And yes, he made me cry.
    aaronverber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By aaronverber
    "That's what I'm here for: delivering bad news and snappy one-liners." 

Spoilers ahead! Not that you couldn't see it coming. I mean, it's called Dragon Age: Origins, right? I'm going to assume you know about the origins, so it stands to reason that...yeah. Anyway. This is your final warning. Also, know that this is just one short thought of about a million I could have about Dragon Age. This one just seemed most worthy of being shared.

I didn't start Dragon Age: Origins intending to play like a bro. In fact, I had decided to start my character with as few prejudices as possible. I just hoped that he would find his own way in the world, and that I would find something at all. This had the humorous side effect of making my character sound like a complete idiot at the beginning of the game. Not only did poor, confused Eckard ask a lot of awkward and abrupt questions, but he also didn't really care what happened during his origin story. As a city elf, he was supposed to hate the humans who teased and tormented his people. Eckard, however, was a bit spineless in the beginning. He never backed down from a fight, but he didn't have much passion. He was quiet and lost. He had nothing to believe in. 

I don't (or didn't) feel the same way as my character, at least not consciously. But a part of me, a big part of me, must have identified with that. My character and I were, to some extent, searching for something. By the time the Grey Wardens had been betrayed at Ostagar, though, we had found it. Eckard and I shared a loathing for treacherous Loghain. What a prick.   

But it wasn't Loghain's treachery against Eckard that had me so upset. When I discovered that Alistair had also survived, I was a little worried: he can, at times, be a bit of a whiny tool. And then he told me how he wanted to hold a proper funeral for Duncan and travel to Orlais and that he and Eckard were in it together. I was touched. Eckard, doubly so. It was at that point that I decided Eckard and Alistair would be good buddies. There would be no romance--that's not what we needed. We were, as it turned out, looking for a friend. Besides, Alistair seemed more like a ladies man, hangs-out-at-that-bar-you-hate-but-go-to-all-the-time-anyway sort of dude. It was quite the bromance. 

I rolled around town with three warriors and a mage for most of the game, feeling like a tool most of the time, but a polite tool nonetheless. Alistair was always in the party.  Eckard always had his back. At every twist and turn in the plot, he sided with Alistair. They liked the same things, hated the same bloodmages. But there was one thing I had to disagree with him on: he had to become king. And I always felt a little bad about that. I could tell he didn't want it, but hoped it would be a sort of character building exercise. Boy was he pissed when I chose him over that other bitch. I then felt even worse about using my maxed-out persuasion to talk him down. And when it came time to kill the Archdemon, which I hardly cared about after being so satisfied by Eckard's disemboweling of Loghain, I took one for the team, for Alistair, and sacrificed my character (without even realizing this would be completely retconned later, I might add). 

Few video game characters stay with me after I've finished a game: Manny Calavera, Urdnot Wrex, and Joker (though only in Mass Effect 2, really) are a few of the standouts. To that, I add Alistair. As I get older and busier, I realize that video games might one day take a back seat in my life. But if there is one thing that can keep me coming back, it's characters like Alistair. He made me laugh. He made me care. He made me play. And yes, he made me cry.
    JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By JB16

I liked Alistair too, but I really liked it when I put Alistair and Morrigan together. I don't care what anyone says though Alistair and Morrigan acted like they hated each other on the outside but I can tell the both thoroughly enjoyed antagonizing each other throughout the game, they were the best of friends (even if they would never admit it).

p.s. I fucking hated sten, god that bastard should just die.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vaiz

Alistair was my bro, bro. I'm right there with you ;_;.

Also, Sten's cool once you get him to stop player hating on you.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Most of the time I don't really like the people most rpg's put you up with at the start, but Morrigan and Alistair were awesome together, loved their "talks."

Alistair was my best buddy for life on my first run, but I chewed him out the second.
    It was touching to see him walk up to me at the final battle and wish me good luck, after all I had called him and put him through...

Then I told him to piss off :D

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ThePencil

Alistair...I hate with a passion. At first I was fine with his goofy buddy antics, and actually enjoyed him in my party but as the game went on He REAAALLLY started to grate on my nerves. I loved the way Morrigan put him down, and all through the rest of the game, I was constantly hoping that this would be the cutscene where Alistair dies.

At the end of the game I couldnt care less, I forced him to marry Anora (mostly because he didnt want to) and to become King of Ferelden (again, because he didnt want to). If I hadnt been so involved in the Warden X Morrigan romance plot and did the dark (but uber hawt) deed at the end, I would have made Alistair sacrifice himself. And then laughed.

Although Sten was awesome IMO.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By melcene

At 30something this is crazy to admit... but Alistair was my first ever video-game crush.  Never have I developed such a relationship with an npc character as I did with Alistair.  Much as with you,  " He made me laugh. He made me care. He made me play. And yes, he made me cry."  People talk about how they liked how Morrigan put him down.  I liked the banter between ALL of the characters.  Whether it was Morrigan putting him down, or Whatsherface giving him motherly advice. 

Also, I agree about Joker in ME2 and wish there was more interaction with him in the game.  Why couldn't I romance him?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By armaan8014
    @aaronverber: Awesome blog post man! You play RPGs the same way I do, like it's actually happening. And Alistair was my bro too :)
    @melcene:
    ooh ooh modded Lelliana was my npc crush :P Just tells you how great Bioware are at creating characters and making the world believable!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.