Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age: Read All About It!

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Books: Read 'em!
    BioWare sent out a release today announcing the publication of Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, a prequel novel that's supposed to set up the storyline for Dragon Age: Origins, the PC RPG the developer is positioning as a spiritual follow-up to the old Baldur's Gate games.

You might remember BioWare pulled a similar trick with Mass Effect in late 2007, putting out the Revelation prequel novel prior to the game's release. It must have performed its function as a promotional tool (and may have been a commercial success in its own right), since they're doing the same thing this time around. At first I disdained Revelation as the sort of pulpy sci-fi novel I read a lot of when I was 13. But then I read it on a whim (mostly because BioWare sent review copies), and--who'dathunkit--the book actually served its purpose: providing a lot of backstory for Mass Effect's rich universe, setting up the game's specific plot, and getting me excited to finally put my hands on the game.

The difference here is that I think Mass Effect had a lot more original elements going for it than Dragon Age does. There you had a bunch of weird new alien races, an intriguing galactic political process, and a general breadth of fiction that honestly warranted 300 pages of setup. Meanwhile, what I've seen of Dragon Age so far has presented a lot of good-versus-evil imagery that's a little too familiar in light of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the resulting flood of high fantasy in the last few years. I feel like I've seen a lot of this stuff before, which makes me feel less like I need a novel to fill in the blanks in the game's premise. That seems to be covered already.

Here's how the press release sets up the book.

When the beloved rebel queen is murdered, her son Maric sets out on a mission of vengeance against the faithless lords who were responsible for his mother's untimely death.  The nation of Ferelden that once prospered under his family's reign now suffers under the cruel hands of the invading Orlesians.  His countrymen now live in fear and no one is to be trusted.

Maric soon becomes the leader of a rebel army hell-bent on retaking Ferelden from the control of a foreign tyrant.  With only two true allies by his side, the brash outlaw Loghain and the beautiful warrior maiden Rowan, Maric and his trusted band must outwit spies and traitors as they try to reclaim the stolen throne.  

Where's Dragon Age sitting on your 2009 most-wanted list? Are you likely to go out and grab The Stolen Throne to get ready for it?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    BioWare sent out a release today announcing the publication of Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, a prequel novel that's supposed to set up the storyline for Dragon Age: Origins, the PC RPG the developer is positioning as a spiritual follow-up to the old Baldur's Gate games.

You might remember BioWare pulled a similar trick with Mass Effect in late 2007, putting out the Revelation prequel novel prior to the game's release. It must have performed its function as a promotional tool (and may have been a commercial success in its own right), since they're doing the same thing this time around. At first I disdained Revelation as the sort of pulpy sci-fi novel I read a lot of when I was 13. But then I read it on a whim (mostly because BioWare sent review copies), and--who'dathunkit--the book actually served its purpose: providing a lot of backstory for Mass Effect's rich universe, setting up the game's specific plot, and getting me excited to finally put my hands on the game.

The difference here is that I think Mass Effect had a lot more original elements going for it than Dragon Age does. There you had a bunch of weird new alien races, an intriguing galactic political process, and a general breadth of fiction that honestly warranted 300 pages of setup. Meanwhile, what I've seen of Dragon Age so far has presented a lot of good-versus-evil imagery that's a little too familiar in light of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the resulting flood of high fantasy in the last few years. I feel like I've seen a lot of this stuff before, which makes me feel less like I need a novel to fill in the blanks in the game's premise. That seems to be covered already.

Here's how the press release sets up the book.

When the beloved rebel queen is murdered, her son Maric sets out on a mission of vengeance against the faithless lords who were responsible for his mother's untimely death.  The nation of Ferelden that once prospered under his family's reign now suffers under the cruel hands of the invading Orlesians.  His countrymen now live in fear and no one is to be trusted.

Maric soon becomes the leader of a rebel army hell-bent on retaking Ferelden from the control of a foreign tyrant.  With only two true allies by his side, the brash outlaw Loghain and the beautiful warrior maiden Rowan, Maric and his trusted band must outwit spies and traitors as they try to reclaim the stolen throne.  

Where's Dragon Age sitting on your 2009 most-wanted list? Are you likely to go out and grab The Stolen Throne to get ready for it?
    jarryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jarryd

this game just doesnt seem to have a proper direction right now

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Looks pretty cool.  I might give it a try.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Awesome Dragon Age news, awesome Loco Roco 2 news... Brad, you've made my day.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I dunno, this is just the kind of thing I'd read, the hardcore scifi fantasy you see between the forgotten realm books and the halo novels *drool* What can I say, I have a weakness lol.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThomasP

Whoa shit! A prequel novel. That's cool shit.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Media_Master

I'm sure the game will be great, its just that it sounds like medieval fantasy has been overplayed, just like WW2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wish they would've just skipped this and made a sequel to Jade Empire.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Fade2Gray

While I'm eagerly anticipating the game, and I'm a fan of fantasy lit, I'm with Brad on this one. A little too much paint by numbers here for me. I'll probably check out the reviews for the book, but I'm not expecting much.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

Dragon Age has had a long, bumpy ride. I think the biggest problem is building a whole new wold from sratch while simultaneously building another whole world (with Mass Effect) and a whole bunch of other games in the meantime.

I think what we also have to remember is that Bioware essentially created the world of Dragon Age in an attempt to break free from the bonds of the heavily regulated D&D license. It seems like they still wanted to have something very similar in tone and setting (high fantasy) to work with.

But a book by David Gaider sounds like something I could really get behind. Dude has many of the greatest PC RPG stories under his belt.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

They're writing a prequel book to a game called Dragon Age: Origins?

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#12  Edited By Dimsey

Dragon Age is sitting pretty high on my most wanted list. I loved the Baldurs Gate games, so I'm all for something similar.
    I doubt I'll read the prequel novel however. Not out of lack of interest, but because theres no bookstore nearby and I'm not fond of ordering stuff off the interweb.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

I hope they release a demo, I just want a taste of all the mechanics.

Scavar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Scavar

The game isn't High Fantasy as  everyone keeps saying, Brad included, it's Dark Fantasy or "Low" Fantasy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fantasy
    Ok so wiki doesn't help my point, but it's not exactly a "High" fantasy setting. It's darker, grittier. Kind of like DC vs Marvel in a way.

nickzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nickzed

bioware has yet to make a game that isnt terrific (not counting that sonic rpg), so, one would expect that Dragon Age is worthy of their money.

Mace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mace

I would argue that we do not really know enough about Dragon Age to completely write-off (if you will excsue the pun) a prequel novel. It may just be a Lord Of The Rings clone story, but it could also be considerably different. I am willing to give BioWare the benefit of the doubt until they give considerably more information about the game's storyline and setting.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rio

I doubt ill bother giving that a read, but I am still very excited for Bioware touching back on its roots.  Dragon age is looking to be a great spiritual successor to baldur's gate, and I cant wait.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

Definitely not gonna miss out on a Bioware Baldur's Gate successor for PC this year, but don't really feel the need to get a prequel novel.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dryker

Brad, you're sick of the whole "High Fantasy" premise because too many people cookie cutter it. If you want some real high fantasy check out: http://site.howlegendslie.com/

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jangofett88

Every time I hear Bioware about this game, it only makes me think, 'When's Mass Effect 2 Coming?'

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zereta

The mass Effect novel was pretty amazing. Probably gonna pick this up when I get my copy of the game.

mcsteve99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By mcsteve99

I am hoping this game will be good, because these fantasy RPGs have to be REALLY good to get me to buy them anymore.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By DukeTogo

Reading the Mass Effect novel really got me pumped for the game (although I was already excited about it anyway) and it tied into the game in a minor way, fleshing out the motivations of Saren.

While Dragon Age looks good, I'm much more interested in that Mass Effect 2 news you guys mentioned last week.  I'll pick up DA if it's basically a fantasy Mass Effect, I never cared for Baldur's Gate outside of the first Dark Alliance.

Harts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Harts

>Where's Dragon Age sitting on your 2009 most-wanted list?
    First on the lost. I have been reading about this game for a long time (mostly on Bioware forums) and can't wait to play it:)  Probably will read the book too.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By mackgyver

I don't know about the book but I'm definitely buying the game.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By poser

It's Bioware, which means it's a just have game.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Chummy8

Maybe, but I have enough books to read right now.

Avatar image for alucardalacarte
    AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

Revelation WAS surprisingly good...delightful. Delightful.
    Also: less high fantasy, more dark fantasy! I want my damn Elric game! (but am contented with The Witcher...for now)

Aronto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aronto
    Hell. Yes
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azrail

to all the peeps saying " this game makes me want mass effect 2 waaaaaa"

u are the reason no pure rpgs are made now-a-days ( see mass effect, fallout 3 etc)
    and while these hybrid rpg fps's are great fun, they are lacking much what makes rpg's great

i want more game like old school rpgs like baulders gate, nwn, and planescape torment (which had basically the best story of pc rpg)

fps rpgs games like mass effect are good fun, but lets let rpgs have a chance in t

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.