Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age System Requirements - WTF?!

• 84 results
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By Kazona

If you're still running a pentium 4 and the equivelant graphics card and memory, and you still expect the latest games to run just fine on it, then you clearly don't know much about PC's.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, like anyone said it should "run just fine" (whatever that means) on a Pentium 4. Why bother coming here with your strawman arguments? This is a game coming two years after Crysis, not looking nearly as good as that, which is somewhat understandable given the genre, yet still requiring far more advanced hardware, even though it aims to "run just fine" on a 360. That is all. If you're fine with paying for hardware that's never really exploited, great for you. You can leave others in peace without making stupid assumptions about how much they know.

Fallout 3 for comparison is one of the most unoptimised pieces of shit I've encountered, looks ugly not due to low spec goals, but due to sheer incompetence as the texture resolutions, polycounts, shader usage, etc, are simply sky-high, yet even that has more modest requirements.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Jayge_
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Yeah, like anyone said it should "run just fine" (whatever that means) on a Pentium 4. Why bother coming here with your strawman arguments? This is a game coming two years after Crysis, not looking nearly as good as that, which is somewhat understandable given the genre, yet still requiring far more advanced hardware, even though it aims to "run just fine" on a 360. That is all. If you're fine with paying for hardware that's never really exploited, great for you. You can leave others in peace without making stupid assumptions about how much they know. "
    What a stupid argument. You have absolutely no idea what the reason for the needed horsepower could be. You have no possible logical justification for the assertion that Bioware is producing an un-optimized game and wasting resources. Your entire argument's base is complete bullshit.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By delta_ass

The minimum system requirements seem fine to me. Granted, I'm looking at the one for XP, because let's face it... Vista is really terrible for gaming.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Jayge said:
    " What a stupid argument. You have absolutely no idea what the reason for the needed horsepower could be. You have no possible logical justification for the assertion that Bioware is producing an un-optimized game and wasting resources. Your entire argument's base is complete bullshit. "
    If it's not evident from all we've seen of the game, then it's not reason enough. We haven't seen spectacular vistas, we haven't seen incredibly crowded battlefields, we haven't seen anything that justifies specifications far above anything else currently on the market. The ability of the game to run just fine on a 360 sure points to what I have been writing, instead of your nonexistent counter argument. What's your grand argument for thinking it's not unoptimised again? Oh, right, "I'm getting a new PC so I don't care" was it? Well, you can stop caring for real then.

@Delta_Ass said:
    " The minimum system requirements seem fine to me. Granted, I'm looking at the one for XP, because let's face it... Vista is really terrible for gaming. "
    Minimum looks okay, except for the CPU, but minimum is rarely accurate enough to result in actually playable conditions. We'll wait and see.
    KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By KindGalaxy

Go check average computer specs, and the min/recommended specs of every Bioware game on PC after Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal and you'll find they've always been above normal. From Neverwinter Nights to the PC release of Mass Effect; their requirements are always higher than average for PC games.

The day they announced Dragon Age, I knew it would be comparable to Neverwinter Nights and the computer specs of that time, trying to render the 8 shadow options, and dynamic lighting was almost out of the question for anybody at that time and Dragon Age seems to be no different then any other 3D Bioware game.
    Still, I meet the recommended, and can't wait to enjoy this game on PC.
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ran crysis on my Pentium 4. Smoothly at a decent setting.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By Lunarbunny

Sorry to break it to you, but the Netburst (Pentium 4) architecture left the market 3 years ago. Even then it was a highly inefficient architecture and was destined to fail (it's the primary reason that AMD pulled ahead in performance for a time).

I can understand why they would completely ignore it, although you might be able to get the game to run on Pentium D (NetBurst dual core).

I don't think they're really leaving behind that many gamers, either. See the CPU portion of the Steam Hardware Survey. 73.35% surveyed have 2 or more CPU cores.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By Kazona

Did the people who are complaining try to consider that maybe Bioware is posting minimum specs at which the game would actually be playable, instead of posting the specs that are just enough to make the game run?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Lunarbunny said:
    " Sorry to break it to you, but the Netburst (Pentium 4) architecture left the market 3 years ago. Even then it was a highly inefficient architecture and was destined to fail (it's the primary reason that AMD pulled ahead in performance for a time).

I can understand why they would completely ignore it, although you might be able to get the game to run on Pentium D (NetBurst dual core).

I don't think they're really leaving behind that many gamers, either. See the CPU portion of the Steam Hardware Survey. 73.35% surveyed have 2 or more CPU cores. "
    And only 11 percent have the recommended Quad specs. We also don't know if that includes hyperthreading enabled processors as they may show as dual core setups when they really aren't, and that would include most if not all of the Pentium 4 range. So, taking the survey at face value, only 11 percent of gamers can play the game with the recommended quality experience. That is sure to skew the sales statistics in favor of the consoles and result in even less PC support for their next game. Not good.

Also, in the same way we can't know if "minimum" will result in an acceptable playable experience, we also don't know if "recommended" will mean max settings and not simply a "very pretty, very playable" result. We'll have to wait and see for both, for now going by what is common.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jayge_
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "If it's not evident from all we've seen of the game, then it's not reason enough. We haven't seen spectacular vistas, we haven't seen incredibly crowded battlefields, we haven't seen anything that justifies specifications far above anything else currently on the market. The ability of the game to run just fine on a 360 sure points to what I have been writing, instead of your nonexistent counter argument. What's your grand argument for thinking it's not unoptimised again? Oh, right, "I'm getting a new PC so I don't care" was it? Well, you can stop caring for real then."
    Logic evades you yet again. You have absolutely no idea what the justifications Bioware could produce for having the game require higher system specifications are. You're not one of their systems engineers. Fallout 3 runs well on the 360 too- does that mean that the PC version isn't technically superior? What about the multitude of other PC/Console games that have much better PC versions and higher PC specs? Does the fact that they have downgraded console versions mean that the PC versions looking better at the cost of more system resources is some kind of *detriment*? 

As for my "nonexistant counter-argument," what does me saying I'm not concerned about the specifications have to do with anything? Do you think that post and my post replying to yours are somehow related? As though I prepared and launched a counter-argument by time traveling to 20 minutes before you posted? I didn't mention anything about optimization there. My counter-argument is that you are running around talking about things you have absolutely no knowledge of pretending that you're some kind of authority on the subject when it's obvious that you aren't. You don't know whether or not the game is "optimized" well. You don't know what Bioware has in that game that would require that much processing power. You don't know anything about it, and you can't possibly make any valid point to back up your claim until we all see what Dragon Age has to offer.

@Al3xand3r said:
    "And only 11 percent have the recommended Quad specs. We also don't know if that includes hyperthreading enabled processors as they may show as dual core setups when they really aren't, and that would include most if not all of the Pentium 4 range. So, taking the survey at face value, only 11 percent of gamers can play the game with the recommended quality experience. That is sure to skew the sales statistics in favor of the consoles and result in even less PC support for their next game. Not good.

Also, in the same way we can't know if "minimum" will result in an acceptable playable experience, we also don't know if "recommended" will mean max settings and not simply a "very pretty, very playable" result. We'll have to wait and see for both, for now going by what is common. "
    Actually, over 16% had a quad-core processor as of May (try reading the chart again). I wouldn't be surprised if that number was higher now. Regardless, the processor isn't everything and you don't know what the rest of the systems are composed of, so not having a quad-core proc could be absolutely fine. I find it ironic that you ended this post with the exact reason why all of your previous arguments are full of it, though.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jimbo

Hopefully they're just bucking the trend and posting specs how they should be done.  That is to say, 'Recommended' should allow a solid framerate with every setting on highest.  'Minimum' should allow a solid framerate with every setting on lowest.

Vista has always been shit for game performance and it's good that they recognise that.  Sub that Quad for a Duo and I'm sure you'll still end up with a better looking game than the 360.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Diamond

These requirements are LOW, except for the Pentium 4 exclusion (which I've noticed in only the most recent titles).  The 360 and PS3 have nice CPUs, and it seems to be harder for developers to scale down on the CPU side, so it makes sense.

Looks like this is one game I couldn't play on my PC even if I wanted to.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By joshs
    Thanks Jayge :)
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Jayge_
    Edit: No problem.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#66  Edited By AndrewB

What the eff did you expect? Get a better computer, if it means that much to you. Do you realize how old Pentium 4s are? How outdated that tech is? There's a reason for dual core processors; to offload different tasks onto different cores simultaneously. Doing both tasks at once on a single processor means multiple passes to calculate means lower framerate.

The age of single core processors is over, as far as gaming. There's always the possibility that it will run on a computer without one, assuming the rest of your specs are okay, but that's somewhat doubtful, considering the game was probably built around the necessity of at least two cores.

Do you know how cheap you can build a decent dual or even quad core system these days? Especially if you're willing to go the AMD route. Yes, you do have to upgrade your PC every now and then if you want to keep playing the latest games. That's been true since the dawn of PC gaming. That, along with piracy, is what caused the shift in attention over to consoles. If you really don't want to upgrade, then wait for the console port. Yes, it is supposedly coming.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jayge_
    @AndrewB said:
    "Yes, it is supposedly coming. "
    It's not really a "supposedly" thing, they are coming simultaneously. Brad even has a hands-on of the 360 version up on the site, albeit a very brief and general one.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By AndrewB
    @Jayge said:
    "It's not really a "supposedly" thing, they are coming simultaneously. Brad even has a hands-on of the 360 version up on the site, albeit a very brief and general one. "

Well I remember hearing about the console versions being a definite from somewhere, but I added the "supposedly" just in case it was all a dream.
    Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Scieran

It's a shame that they never list "high settings" even until now. Right now my system tops all those specs except the CPU.. currently a 2.0 dual core. Recommended settings are nothing, it actually means the stuff that allows the game to run fine without experiencing alot of lag. It's basically not "recommend settings" friendly if one is to set it on high with shaders and anti aliasing.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By mikemcn

I got a new computer abut a month ago so no worries!

But they should have support for older stuff, although if the game honestly wont run on anything older then I suppose they have no reason to support it but whatever... maybe the statistics show most people have newer chips?

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Maru

What's with all this Pentium talk ?? People still have that in their gaming PCs ?

@Scieran: Buy a decent heatsink and overclock that dual core, it will make a diffrence.   I think this game will run well on dual core CPUs too, since that's what most PC gamers have in their system, and Bioware would not ignore that fact.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By gike987

You guys complain? 
    I haven't upgraded my computer for three years now and I almost meet the required specs. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Al3xand3r

Good luck playing it with the minimum specs.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Lol have you seen the specs for "Blade and Soul"?

I can't seem to find them, but one of them is "24 inch monitor".

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By Poki3

Pentium 4's are 9 years old, and not even in production right now. Core2Duo's are already 3 years old.
    I have a over 2 year old computer, and I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to run the game with near-max details at my native resolution.

Complaining about system requirements has it's limits. Remember the times when games started using 3D acceleration and you where in deep brown substances if you didn't have a Voodoo? Or when a better processor actually mattered when playing games, and you would upgrade your Pentium 200 to a Pentium 233?
    PC games today, aside from a few exceptions, are actually very easygoing on the requirements as to not alienate the audience and decrease the group of potential customers, prime example being that to date there is only 1 DirectX 10 exclusive game (Stormrise), because hardly anyone has Vista (compared to XP).
    3 years ago we had a pretty significant upgrade in computer power, and although I'm far from thinking it's of the same magnitude as the 3D accelerators I just mentioned, there are certainly some parallels so the people that have a 6 year old computer... time for an upgrade. That's just how PC gaming was, is, and probably will be.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By gike987
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Good luck playing it with the minimum specs. "
    Um, what do mean by that did you even read my post. Almost required dosen't mean I have to run it at minimum, thats not how a PC works. 
    The only thing i miss is a quad core but I have a fast dual core that will make up for it.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Al3xand3r

You said almost required, not almost recommended... Required specs = minimum specs... Same difference.

If you meant almost recommended, great for you.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By gike987
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " You said almost required, not almost recommended... Required specs = minimum specs... I just used a different word... "
    Oh sorry didn't notice, It's not good posting 6.30 am after being awake the whole night.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By keyhunter

The reccomended specs are lower than the specs of  a PC I built 3 years ago. I don't think you chumps have anything to complain about.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By Diamond
    @keyhunter said:
    " The reccomended specs are lower than the specs of  a PC I built 3 years ago. I don't think you chumps have anything to complain about. "
    Considering you couldn't even buy the CPU or GPU meeting these recommended specs until 2 years ago, you're full of shit.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#81  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You know, there are at least three ways to alleviate this problem: A. Get a better computer. B: Get the Console Version and accept that there will be some sacrifices made. C: Don't buy the game.

I think I will be going with B.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Al3xand3r

Because obviously the problem I mention in the OP doesn't include your B choice as part of the problem acknowledging it's what many people would do, and isn't also irrelevant to A, considering I personally do have a capable PC. So, you know, you could read the topics you reply to.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Someday we'll all laugh about these requirements.  Someday in the future when they make computers that can actually play this.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By keyhunter
    @Diamond: No.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By gike987
    @ImpendingFoil said:
    "

Someday we'll all laugh about these requirements.  Someday in the future when they make computers that can actually play this.

"
    There have been computers that can play this for over two years now.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By RHCPfan24

Haha, looks like I am not getting this for my PC!! The 20 GB file size is also extreme. 360 version for me, I guess.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By gike987
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " Haha, looks like I am not getting this for my PC!! The 20 GB file size is also extreme. 360 version for me, I guess. "
    The file size is good news, it mean that this game will be big.
    But if the game is that big it will probably be on two discs for the 360.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Lunarbunny

This thread reminds me of when the Battlefield 2 system requirements were revealed.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Kohe321

Great, I'll have no problems then :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.