Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

I bought Ultimate Edition and now I'm confused.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mnzy

Ok, so I just bought UE, installed disk two and now what do I do?
    I thought the DLC was kinda like Mass Effect, where extra stuff apears within the game. But here I get about 5 different options when I want to start a new game. One of them is Awakening for example.
    So, should I start a new game in normal Origins and work my way through all those aka creating a new game after I finished the previous one (I guess there's some importing characters involved) or what?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

Awakening should be played after Origins. You will be able to import your dude into Awakening. The other DLC should be played whenever, except for Witch Hunt which should be played after both Origins and Awakening.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By saethir

I would play through Origins first, mixing it up with Return to ostagar, and Warden's Keep. Possibly Liliana's song, which takes place before Origins, as you could get some decent stuff for her in the main game. After you beat Origins, there's Witch Hunt. Then play Awakening as it is a full on Expansion rather than just DLC and it takes place after the events of all the other stuff, and raises the level cap. And if you're feeling evil There's the Darkspawn one. I never beat that one, but I think you get items for the main game in it. could be wrong though.

Edit: Oh, and you can take your main character through all of them except Liliana's song (guess who you play as) and the Darkspawn one (again, not to hard).

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Go with Origins. Everything else are extras, though some of the DLC is added into the main game, like Shale and Wardens Keep. And most of them you can import your main Origin character into as well, except Darkspawn Chronicles where you play as the Darkspawn during the final battle (not as cool as it sounds) and Leliana's Song, which is a prequel that details the origins of one of your party members, Leliana.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mnzy: Awakenings and Darkspawn Chronicles are seperate campaigns, kind of like a Neverwinter Nights scenario, if you ever played those games. Witch Hunt may be too..? I don't know, I never played that one.

The rest of the stuff should appear in game, once you get to Ostagar, I believe? Some of the quests may activate later, once the game kind of opens up.

Bottom line is you should def start a new Origins game, or else a lot of stuff will be spoiled for you. Awakenings takes place after the end of Origins. Darkspawn Chronicles puts you in the shoes of the enemy during the timeline of Origins. Play Origins first, it'll def be worth it.

As a side note, if you have any interest in improving graphics, adding content, etc., check out http://dragonagenexus.com/ for some good mods.

Have fun, DA 1 is a hell of a game!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @mnzy: Leliana's song or something should be played first then Origins which has its own DLC in a Mass Effect style where they show up gold on a map then Awakenings then Golems of Omgarak and then Witch Hunt.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mnzy

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @InfamousBIG said:

@mnzy: Awakenings and Darkspawn Chronicles are seperate campaigns, kind of like a Neverwinter Nights scenario, if you ever played those games. Witch Hunt may be too..? I don't know, I never played that one.

The rest of the stuff should appear in game, once you get to Ostagar, I believe? Some of the quests may activate later, once the game kind of opens up.

Bottom line is you should def start a new Origins game, or else a lot of stuff will be spoiled for you. Awakenings takes place after the end of Origins. Darkspawn Chronicles puts you in the shoes of the enemy during the timeline of Origins. Play Origins first, it'll def be worth it.

As a side note, if you have any interest in improving graphics, adding content, etc., check out http://dragonagenexus.com/ for some good mods.

Have fun, DA 1 is a hell of a game!

@mnzy

Leliana's song is a prequel and can have benefits to an Origin game.  You could do that with Darkspawn Chronicles but it would spoil the game for you although I think you get extra stuff for completing that too.  There is a chronology to this where you can import your character from one DLC to another.
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Matt_

I'm actually in this same boat too. Just got a gaming rig and this was one of the games I just had to play on the PC. Thanks for clearing everything up guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.