Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

So, have I missed out?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I am interested in getting Dragon Age: Origins but I feel like I have waited too long and missed out. For me, a big part of RPGs are when people are playing them with you however I don't mean in multiplayer I mean other people in the world. The reason for this is because I like talking about the RPG games I am playing or else I feel like I have waited too long for the game. 

So, have I waited too long?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Turambar

I wouldn't say you've missed out, but you also didn't miss much.  DA:O was a good, but ultimately unremarkable game.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By BunkerBuster

Dragon Age is so good you wont need to talk about it with other people, you'll talk about it to yourself.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By PerryVandell

Buy it, then listen to the November 2009-January 2010 bombcasts. Problem solved.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By jasta

The game is fantastic, you'll enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure there are loads of people on the forums that still love to talk about the game, myself included.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Jasta said:
    "

I'm pretty sure there are loads of people on the forums that still love to talk about the game, myself included.

"
    So are people still playing it or is it outdated?
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Undeadpool
    @NekuSakuraba: Regardless, it's definitely worth experiencing, if for no other reason than it'll make Dragon Age 2 waaaay more meaningful.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

Why would it matter??? If you want to play a game just play it , and since the next Dragon Age is coming soon  (I think) you may want to be to date , also heard that you may import save data from Dragon Age : Origins and that data affects the world ... but im not too sure if I read it at Biowares forums or if it was a rumor .... dont really remember

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VanTesla
    @NekuSakuraba:
    No you have not waited to long. 

Still though I should warn you that the console versions are bad compared to the PC, most of the DLC is lacking, the game still has some major bug issues, and the game is not for any one except for hardcore RPG fans in my opinion. Bioware has stopped coming out with game patchs, DLC, or the old promise of porting player made content to the console versions... 

It is a good game that I enjoyed much the first and second playthrough but after a while it can get dull and the DLC is subpar except Stone Prisoner, and Leliana's song. 

I suggest getting it for it is low on price now and still a great game and with player mods that enhance the story, graphics, bug fixes, and replay value it can be fun for years in small doses.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jasta
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Jasta said:

"

"
    So are people still playing it or is it outdated? "

I reckon there will be an increase in the amount of people playing it now that Dragon Age 2 is just round the corner, so to answer your question yeah people are definitely still playing it, I've been toying with the idea of giving it another playthrough myself once I get through all these other games I have stacked up. You'll spend alot of time playing it, I think my first playthrough was around 40-50 hours.

Your save from this game carries over to the next so if your planning on getting Dragon Age 2 you shouldint really skip it, I'm guessing their will be alot of references to the first.

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ___pocalypse

I totally understand feeling a little left out if you play a game later than everyone else, because if you love it you want to talk about it to someone who is just as excited as you. That being said, I think there are still plenty of people playing or at least participating in fandom around it, and I bet more people will be excited about it again the closer it gets to Dragon Age II. 

It's a great game, and ultimately you should just play it if you want to and not worry about what other people are doing.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Cornman89
    I say go for it. Dragon Age 2 will probably get people talking about the original again soon, if not already.

@BunkerBuster said:
    " Dragon Age is so good you wont need to talk about it with other people, you'll talk about it to yourself. "
    /thread
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @___pocalypse
    I totally understand feeling a little left out if you play a game later than everyone else, because if you love it you want to talk about it to someone who is just as excited as you. That being said, I think there are still plenty of people playing or at least participating in fandom around it, and I bet more people will be excited about it again the closer it gets to Dragon Age II. 

It's a great game, and ultimately you should just play it if you want to and not worry about what other people are doing.
    I'm glad people feel the same way. :)
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Addfwyn

I understand the sentiment, sometimes I hate being 'behind' playing big name games, but at least it's a single player experience that you can enjoy by yourself, so you aren't missing out on a major multiplayer experience. 

That said, I'm somebody who didn't enjoy DA:O that much, but if you like that kinda WRPG/bioware style RPG, you'll probably like it.  If you're looking for a really innovative fantasy storyline (which I admit is what I was looking for) you may want to wait for it to be on sale on Steam or something.  The story is very generic tolkien-esque fantasy,  and pretty outdated for fantasy in this day and age (unless you don't read much fantasy, then it may seem new to you).  On the other hand, the character interactions are fantastic, and by far the best part of the game.   

Were it me, I'd wait for it to be on sale somewhere, just because I felt kinda burned by buying it while it was new.  Since you don't have to worry about being 'behind' on the game already (since you already are) waiting may be your best bet.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By asurastrike

I recently moved and no longer have access to a PC that can run my copy of DA:O, so I re-bought the game, this time for Xbox 360. It's still great. 

@Addfwyn

said:

" I understand the sentiment, sometimes I hate being 'behind' playing big name games, but at least it's a single player experience that you can enjoy by yourself, so you aren't missing out on a major multiplayer experience.  That said, I'm somebody who didn't enjoy DA:O that much, but if you like that kinda WRPG/bioware style RPG, you'll probably like it.  If you're looking for a really innovative fantasy storyline (which I admit is what I was looking for) you may want to wait for it to be on sale on Steam or something.  The story is very generic tolkien-esque fantasy,  and pretty outdated for fantasy in this day and age (unless you don't read much fantasy, then it may seem new to you).  On the other hand, the character interactions are fantastic, and by far the best part of the game.    Were it me, I'd wait for it to be on sale somewhere, just because I felt kinda burned by buying it while it was new.  Since you don't have to worry about being 'behind' on the game already (since you already are) waiting may be your best bet. "

Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition just came out, which includes the original Dragon Age, all of the DLC, and the $30 expansion, Awakening, for $60 on console and 50 on PC. The game also dropped to 29.99 on PC and 360 for just DA:O.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jadeskye

Never too late for a fantastic game. Buy it, play it, enjoy it.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Asurastrike: I stand corrected then. 

Go for it then for $30 if you're so inclined.  If you like that kinda WRPG/Bioware formula, then it should be what you expect.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Addfwyn

I really hate being behind as you said, it sucks but I guess it's a big oh well. Not to mention I'll be behind on New Vegas because I just finished Fallout 3 and need a break from the Fallout gameplay.
    oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oatz

Dragon Age: Origins was along with Uncharted 2 the best game I played in 2009.

lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By lordbazuco

Dragon age is the only game I have ever s ranked because I loved it so much. I went through 2 complete play throughs all the way through every dlc with twice. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho

I enjoy toying around with gambits, even if the AI isn't up for giving a challenge. But that game could use %500 more unit variety, seriously.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By owl_of_minerva

It's not like there are going to be a huge number of new rpgs to draw people's attention away from Dragon Age, if they're genre fans.

Edit: No, you will be shunned by society for not playing only the most recent games.

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By arca

You have missed out on a great game but you can still get it and it will be just as good. It's a great game and could of been a game of the year if they had put a lot more effort into some of the design choices they made.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By valrog

Now that the Ultimate Edition is coming, I wouldn't say you missed out and there will be people to talk to. In fact, I am still playing it, so if you want to talk...

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @NekuSakuraba:
    never too late mate 
    it's a great game
    Doublechops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Doublechops

Its a great game, we have the PC version and the wife has recently started a new play through and said it still holds up very well.  Also BioWare have some very active forums for both Dragon Age and Mass Effect at 
    http://social.bioware.com which have lots of people talking about the games and its Mods etc.  If you are going to get it there is now an Ultimate Editiuon out which comes with the expansion and all the DLC for a cheap price.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BunkerBuster said:
    " Dragon Age is so good you wont need to talk about it with other people, you'll talk about it to yourself. "
    This duder has the right idea.
    Game's amazing.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Doublechops said:
    " Its a great game, we have the PC version and the wife has recently started a new play through and said it still holds up very well.  Also BioWare have some very active forums for both Dragon Age and Mass Effect at 
    http://social.bioware.com which have lots of people talking about the games and its Mods etc.  If you are going to get it there is now an Ultimate Editiuon out which comes with the expansion and all the DLC for a cheap price. "
    ALL the DLC? even the preorder ones?
    Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ignor

Are the sidekicks annoying like in Neverwinter Nights 2?

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#30  Edited By Lazyaza

Dragon Age is one of the best rpgs released in years, buy it.
    Sure you will be missing out on a part of the experience by being late to the party, its the same with any game but eh I say dont worry about it.

I only played Gears 2, Resident Evil 5 and both Assassins Creeds just a couple months ago this year and I'm not bothered by it.  Was fun remembering all the stuff people were saying about them back when they released.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @NekuSakuraba: Pre-order DLC can't legally be included. Not really worth a damn though, considering how massive the overall package is. 
    It will include the Blood Armour but no other preorder or collector's edition bonuses.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By Atlas

I'll talk about Dragon Age: Origins all night. Easily my favourite game of 2009.

The Ultimate Edition with the expansion and all the DLC is out now on Steam (not sure about retail/consoles) so I'm sure many people who missed the boat on DA:O picking that version up, so there's a good chance you'll find some people to talk to about.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33  Edited By natetodamax

No, go play it now.

Doublechops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Doublechops
    @NekuSakuraba:  Yes the Ultimate addition includes Dragon Age Origins, then the expansion Awakening plus the 9 content packs that were released afterwards.  The content packs do vary in quality a bit but considering the price of the whole package and the hundreds of possible hours of gameplay its a bargin really.  Content packs that are included are : 

The Stone Prisoner,  Warden's Keep,  Return to Ostagar,  The Darkspawn Chronicles,  Leliana's Song,  The Golems of Amgarrak,  Witch Hunt,  Feastday Gifts,  Feastday Pranks.

Like I mention we have the PC version so I can not comnment on the quality of the console releases, and how the controls have translated across.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lemoncookie01

3 easy steps to beat dragon age
    1. pick mage
    2. learn ice cone
    3. spam till victory
    teach it to the other mages and you're unstoppable.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mordukai
    @NekuSakuraba: Why would you think that it's too late? I say good for you that you waited because now you can you get the Ultimate Edition for $60 and with it you get ALL the DLC for it for practically free. 
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, don't get it, as you can see from the lack of response, nobody checks the Dargon age forums anymore. [/sarcasm]

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#38  Edited By LordAndrew

For me, a big part of RPGs is taking eight or more months to finish. So just go ahead and play it. If you want to talk about it, there are plenty of people here who surely must remember the game well enough to have discussions. A glance at GameFAQs' forums for the game shows that people are indeed still talking about it, and if you post on Giant Bomb you also have the advantage of your topic being seen by people who never look at the Dragon Age forum.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mutha3

Have you ever played FF12 before? I yes, no. If no, yes.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By sarahsdad

I had a lot of fun with it last year. I got some of the pre-order dlc, but even if you don't get that now, it's still a fun game. 
    Aside from the ice cone suggestion, I'd say put points into the strategy/tactics upgrades for your party; they're mostly simple if/then statements, but I had a good time tinkering with them. 
    Also, don't try to spread your points everywhere too soon; I ended up with a character that wasn't very good at bows, swords, or thieving the first time I tried it.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#41  Edited By citizenkane
    carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By carminescarf

Now's the best time to play it as you won't have a long wait for the sequel.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By armaan8014

Duuude.. I hope you've already started playing. Don't miss out on this man! GB is here to discuss it with you!

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ToxicFruit

I am replaying it for the third time, 
    It is a really good game a must play !

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Yes you've missed out and no you haven't waited too long. 
    Its still incredible. 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#46  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am always willing to discuss Dragon Age. You should absolutely play it, on PC if you can, but the console versions aren't terrible either if those are your choices (like me).

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SlightConfuse

Nope now its even better becasue you can get the ultimate edition which comes with the expansion pack and 9 DLc packs

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.